The Top 5 Electric Bikes Reviewed
There are many reasons why cycling is a great way to get around. First of all, it’s a great deal greener than using a car. Bicycles don’t emit noxious greenhouse gases like a car or motorcycle, nor do they burn finite fossil fuels to run. What’s more, cycling is a fantastic cardiovascular workout while also strengthening the muscles of your legs and core. But more than that, it’s good for the soul too! Cycling allows you to experience the understated beauty of your surroundings more richly than when you simply zoom past them in your car. Cycling can be a profoundly enjoyable, meditative and even spiritual activity.
That said, there are some circumstances where peddle power alone isn’t quite enough. Where you need a little extra push to get you to work on time or a little assistance to ensure that you don’t start the working day red faced, panting and sweaty. There are some times when you may wish to do the pedaling and others when you may simply wish for your bike to take you for a ride. An electric bike offers the best of both worlds. It allows you all of the physical and mental health benefits of cycling just with a little less of the legwork (literally) taken out. Of course, not all electric bikes are created equal and you need to put your faith in a bike that you can trust before you ever put your feet in the pedals. That’s why we’ve compiled this list of 5 of our favorite electric bikes on the market. Take a moment to browse our comprehensive list and you’ll be whizzing gleefully to work, college, or wherever you want to go in no time…
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Electric Bike is the Merax 26” Aluminum Electric Mountain Bike.
Best Overall Electric Bike
Merax’s 26” Aluminum mountain bike is a great place to start our list, as it’s a fantastic all-rounder, offering a combination of superior comfort and outstanding performance thanks to its 350W high speed motor. What’s more, its super light aluminum frame and ergonomic design make it extremely comfortable to ride.
Flicking from pedal assisted mode to pure electric mode is as simple as flicking a switch with your thumb. The light aluminum frame makes pedaling easy and enjoyable, while the double wall alloy rims and CPSC Approved wheels make for reliability and stability both on and off-road. A handlebar-mounted LED display panel allows you complete control over your bike. As well as shifting into pure electric mode you can also toggle various levels of pedal assist quickly, easily and safely. The thumb throttle is easy and intuitive to use. Press the “+” or “-” buttons to increase or decrease pedal assist level on a scale of 1 to 5. Level 5 is the maximum power of pedal assist which will help you reach the fastest speeds while pedaling.
The 350W motor allows for speeds of up to 32km/h (around 20mph). It is powered by a removable 36V 8.8Ah lithium-ion battery which is securely locked by key and conveniently placed for easy access and charging. The battery charges to 50% in around 3 hours, and charge fully in 5-6 hours to provide miles and miles of assisted travel at top speed. The light on the charger turns green when the battery is fully charged, so you’ll never be riding blind or find yourself lacking motor assist when you need it most. Under ideal riding conditions, your battery should last for up to 22 – 28 miles of fully-assisted riding on a single charge.
This bike is no slouch in the pedal-operated department either, with a 7 speed Shimano gear shifter it would be an excellent mountain bike even without the electric motor. And with professional disc brakes you’ll never need to worry about not being able to slow down despite the impressive speeds you can reach.
Perfect for- Seasoned mountain bikers looking for their first approachable and intuitive electric motor assisted bike. Just make sure you have a decent bike lock to protect your new bicycle.
- 🚲 350W High Speed Motor and removable 36V 8.8Ah Lithium Ion Battery to get the bike up to speed 32km/h, delivering the best in class acceleration. Under ideal condition, rides up to 22 - 28 miles on a single charge. Equipped with a front headlamp for safe night riding.
- 🚲 Two working modes available: E-Bike & PAS. Engage the thumb throttle and enjoy a free ride, let the motor propel you forward. Or change between 5 levels of pedal assist mode, offering a more customized riding experience. Smart digital panel allows for easy changing while riding.
- 🚲 Lightweight 26" Aluminum Alloy Frame and sturdy suspension fork for smooth rides on bumpy surfaces
- 🚲 Classic Shimano 7 speed gear and top of the line disc brakes for reliable shifting and powerful braking.
- 🚲 Please read the product description before purchasing. Rotate the fork a full 180 degrees before assembling the front wheel (when properly rotated, the brake will be in front of the bike) Weight Capacity: 250 LBS. 📌📌 The battery arrives partially charged, and needs to be charged fully prior to the first ride.
Best Electric Bike Under $1,000
Most riders of electric bikes spend most of their time on the road. Nonetheless, it can be frustrating when riders feel the urge to go off-road yet their wheels and tires don’t afford them reliable performance over uneven terrain.
While this is an excellent bike for a variety of reasons, the 26*4.0 anti-skidding tire is the star of the show, here. Not only does it allow for easy on and off-road cycling, it can also adapt readily to snow, sand, gravel and virtually any other complex topography. There’s nowhere you won’t be able to go in this bike and thanks to the robust 500W brushless gear motor, even steep inclines will be a breeze.
Not that this bike will let you down on the road. Far from it. The electric motor is capable of reaching speeds of up to 23 mph while its 36V/12AH removable lithium ion battery provides up to 19 miles of pure-electric driving. The key-locked battery also comes with a handy carry case so that you can take it to work or school and charge it so that it’s raring to go when you hit the road.
The handlebar mounted LED display panel allows you to set a maximum speed limit and cruise control speeds easily while the dual outage braking system and mechanical braking system provide extra security and stability.
Perfect for- Those who yearn to take their bike off road and conquer uneven terrain… Or those who want a little extra performance on the road. Just make sure you wear a proper bike helmet while using it.
- Max Speed：23 Mph -Exclusive Shimano 7 Gears Shifting System for Fat Tire Ebike ONLY---Fast,Smooth and Accurate
- Strong driving force 500W Rear Hub Motor Battery: The removable 36V Lithium Cell with smart lithium battery charger
- 26 X 4.0 Fat Tire in All Road Fat Tire-Durable All Condition Road--More than Safe,Blance,Fast and Stable for Your Cycling
- Bicycle Weight : 58 LBS Load Capacity: 260LBS --Just Enjoy the Cycling Power and Strong Driving Push
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN: 90% Pre-assembled we pay great attention to every detail of each component, ergonomic handbar, adjustable seat and anti-slip wear resistant tire.
Best Electric Bike Under $500
This really is a bike for everyone. Pre-assembled and ready to go, yet easy folding for convenient storage, the SwagCycle EB-5 Pro can be a reliable steed for your commute to work or triple fold neatly into the trunk of your car for off-road exploration. Weighing in at just 37lbs there’s nowhere you can’t take this easily adjustable and collapsible bike.
It’s height adjustable making it easy to use for adults and teens alike with seat and handlebar placement to suit a range of sizes, although riders far in excess of 6’ may be less comfortable than those under around 5’10”. It’s super low maintenance too, especially with the quick-disconnect power lines on the 14” wheels.
The EB-5 is powered by a brushless motor which allows for top speeds of just over 15mph in pure electric mode and is powered by a long-lasting lithium ion battery.
The bike’s Autoguard technology makes for extremely efficient braking, too. If you’re buying with kids in mind, this e-bike offers one of the safest and most powerful braking systems on the market.
Perfect for- Commuters who will occasionally want to take their bike off road. Families with multiple users. Parents looking for a ‘starter’ electric bike for tweens and teens. All this bicycle needs is a good bike light to go with it.
- Pre-assembled: this electric bike comes pre-assembled so you won't have to waste time or money on complicated assembly
- Height Adjustable for Adults and Teens: easily adjust the bicycle seat and handlebar height to find the perfect position for a comfortable ride
- 14-inch wheels: air-filled rubber tires with quick-disconnect brake cables ensure a smooth ride and easy tire maintenance
- 15.5-mile range: ride your folding bike on full throttle to cruise up to 15.5 miles on a single charge or farther based on transitions between power assist and pedaling
- Fast Folding Design: the EB-5's foldable bike frame can accommodate riders up to 264 pounds and folds three times so it fits inside compact vehicles, under desks, on subways and in other small spaces
Best Electric Mountain Bike
Looking for a user-friendly and intuitive electric mountain bike that won’t let you down when it comes to performance? You could do a lot worse than Cyclamatic’s electric offering, the CX1.
This has to be one of the most comfortable yet sturdy bikes on the market with a 19” steel frame, front suspension and luxuriously padded seat. But don’t let that fool you. In the words of Han Solo, “she’s got it where it counts” in terms of performance. Powered by a 250W motor that kicks in as soon as you start cycling, the bike reaches top speeds of 15mph in pure-electric mode and with 21 speed Shimano gears offers outstanding pedal assisted performance, too.
The motor is powered by an easily detachable 36 lithium-ion battery which comes in its own impermeable case meaning that it can be used in all weather conditions without issue. It can be fully charged in just 4-6 hours.
Last but not least, it’s a stunner to look at too! Its sturdy frame and brushed silver finish mean that you’ll turn heads on the road.
Perfect for- Adults and teens over 14 years of age or 5’4” in height looking for a high-performance mountain bike that gives them the added push of electric assistance when they need it.
- Easy to use - Quick release battery. Quick release front wheel. Safe to ride in the rain. Minimal assembly (under 5 mins). Quick change Shimano gears
- Incredible performance - 28 miles range on normal terrain. Reach speeds of up to 15 mph. Upgraded lithium-ion battery - 36V
- Stylish - Latest mountain bike frame design - not some old frame that looks like it has been taken from a 1920's film set. Bright silver brushed finish.
- Comfort - Padded saddle. 21-speed Shimano gears for a smooth ride. Kenda Tyres. Front suspension.
- Suitable for user 5ft 4 / age 14 upwards
Best Budget Electric Bike
Easily portable yet surprisingly robust, SwagCycle’s Pro Folding Electric Bike is stylish and versatile yet a surprisingly eager performer on the road.
What’s great about this bike is that it has so many convenient features and as it weighs in at just over 30lbs it’s easy to take anywhere you want to go. It’s worth noting that this bike is completely pedal free. The plan is for you to relax and let the 250 Watt electric motor take you wherever you need to go. You can even charge your phone while you ride as the lithium ion battery (which charges fully in just 4-5 hours) can even be used to charge your phone on the go.
Connect the bike to the companion SwagCycle 2 app for a host of additional features including quick access to trip data, speed, GPS location and more. Better still, app optimization allows this bike to reach speeds of up to 18 mph.
Perfect for- Commuters and people who live in apartment buildings. People who are not looking for an electric bike with pedal assist.
- Robust and foldable; the e bike's sturdy frame can support up to 264 pounds and collapse its stem and handlebars for easy storage
- Extreme torque; tackle speeds up to 18 mph via app optimization and climb inclines up to 12 degrees on a powerful zero emission motor
- Long lasting charge; a single charge lets you traverse up to 15.5 miles of thrilling adventures and new discoveries
- App control; connect your iOS or Android with the SwagCycle 2 app to track your trip, speed, GPS location, and more
- USB port; plug your mobile devices into the electric bike's USB port to stay fully charged wherever you go
So, why waste time and effort pedaling when any of these outstanding electric bikes can get you wherever you need to be faster, greener and more comfortably? But in case you would prefer a more tradtional bike, here is out list of the best hybrid bikes.
Recommended Electric Bike Accessories
Comfortable Bike Seat
- PREMIUM COMPLETE BUNDLE ---- WIDE BIKE SEAT WITH TAIL LIGHT including BIKE SEAT PROTECTION COVER, REFLECTIVE BAND and MOUNTING WRENCH. Whether you ride your bike to work, school, in the park, around the block or even off-road, day or night, you will find this seat the perfect choice. Giddy Up! Bike seat was designed to give you the most COMFORTABLE and SAFE ride as well as the best riding experience ever.
- SHOCK ABSORBING BALL, MEMORY FOAM MATERIAL and WATERPROOF ---- Looking for a smooth ride? The two rubber balls placed beneath the bicycle seat ensure absorbing the shocks coming from the bumps, potholes or any difficult terrain you are riding on, while the GEL FOAM will give you the comfort you seek.
- YOUR SAFETY COMES FIRST ---- Giddy Up! Bike seat comes with a LED TAIL LIGHT and a REFLECTIVE BAND to make your trip much safer when it gets dark. Use the protective cover to keep your seat in good shape during the time you are not using your bike. Forget about dusting and cleaning your seat from stains. Just remove the COVER and you are ready to go!
- UNIVERSAL FIT and EASY TO INSTALL ---- Giddy Up! Bicycle seat has a universal fit system which makes it easy to install on almost any type of bicycle, and it comes with all the INSTALL PARTS you need to start benefiting from the perks of the seat in the shortest time.**Please note that certain bike manufacturers may use specific dimensions for the seat to endorse the replacement with an original saddle. To avoid any misfits, please make sure to properly measure the bike pole gauge**
- NO RISK PURCHASE ---- Making you a happy customer is our main goal. Just try it, and if you don't absolutely Love it, send us a message and we will Refund or Replace your Purchase, NO QUESTIONS ASKED
Bike Phone Mount
- UNIVERSAL FOR ALL PHONES: This universal bike phone mount will securely fit almost any cell phone up to 3.5 inches wide! Holds iPhone X, iPhone XR, iPhone 8 | 8Plus, iPhone 7 | 7 Plus, iPhone 6 | 6s | 6 Plus. Samsung Galaxy S7 | Galaxy S7 Edge, Galaxy S9, OnePlus 3, HTC 11. Refer to SIZING GUIDE in the description for more.
- HANDLEBAR COMPATIBILITY: Size is adjustable to fit handlebar sizes from 7/8" - 1-1/4" in diameter for your bicycle or motorcycle. Refer to SIZING GUIDE in the description. *NOTE: will not fit super sport bikes (crotch rockets) clip-on style handlebars.
- SECURE GRIP & LARGEST CLAMP: Using two points of contact, The Co-Pilot will securely mount your device to your handlebars using a premium hard plastic grip with a silicone net, securing each corner of your device tightly to the mount! Also the Co-Pilot has the largest handle bar clamp on the market and can fit an size handlebar!
- NICE & STURDY: The premium hard plastic material will keep from breaking. The silicone net, unlike rubber, is extremely strong and durable. The material stretches up to 4 times itself, and will secure your phone on the wildest of adventures.
- MANUFACTURER LIFETIME WARRANTY: 100% money back guarantee. If you ever have a problem with your Co-Pilot phone mount simply contact us through our amazon listing with your order ID and you will receive a full refund or replacement.
- Up to 80 hours, visible to motorists over 1500 feet away, 4 x AAA, 2 x AAA (Best with Polaroid AAA Batteries)
- 5 LED headlight, tool-less handlebar mount, 30-40 feet range, quick-release mount, 4.1" x 1.3" x 1.3"
- 3 LED taillight, angle adjustable quick-release mount. 3 modes on each light
- Weather resistant. Fits most handlebars and seat posts (rubber sizing shims included)
- Please refer user manual attached below for instructions and troubleshooting steps.
Bike Cargo Rack
- Fit almost bikes, road bike, mountain bike, etc; For V Brake and Disc Brakes;
- Come with tools and installation instruction(Please download the installation instruction from the link in "Product description" ).
- [ATTENTION！！]:This rack has been upgraded from "ACOMFORT" brand to "COMINGFIT" brand, and you may get the old version rack with "ACOMFORT" logo;
- Shelf Length 22", Width 6"; Panel Length 14"; Width 6"；(Seat Tube Diameter0.85-1.3") adjustable for kinds of bikes;
- 110lbs capacity( when every part properly seated) tested in any condition; Durable Aluminum Alloy Rack.
- GOOD PERFORMANCE CABLE LOCK: Flexible steel cables for strong cut resistance and PVC coating helps prevent scratching and keeping more durable
- MULTI-PURPOSE: Ideal for bicycles, skateboards, gates & fences, grills & lawnmowers, sports equipment, tool boxes & ladders
- RESETTABLE & CONVENIENCE: 4-Digit combination resettable coiling bike lock, easy to set your own personalized combination. With keyless convenience bike lock, no worry about the key lost/forget
- ZINC ALLOY LOCK CYLINDER - the lock cylinder is made of zinc alloy, which is strengthened by the electroplating process which make the bike lock more Secure and durable
- SECURE & PORTABLE: 4'(1.2m) long x 1/2" (12mm) diameter with vinyl shell
- This is how to measure your head for a bike helmet: Measure the circumference of your head. Put the measuring tape about 1cm above your eyebrows and go all the way round your head in an even loop.
- US CPSC safety standard tested and approved.Classic skate design helmet with 11 vents to keep you cool and comfortable and 2 sets of interchangeable pads for a custom fit.
- Fully formed ABS surrounds high quality EPS foam to ensure safety on impact
- Keep your head protected in this Critical Cycles helmet as you ride on your bikes, skateboards, roller skates and scooters
- Pick from a variety of matte Colors to perfectly accent your bike and augment your personality and this helmet is recommended for riders who are age 14+.
Electric Bike Basics
Here is a good YouTube video explaining the basics of Electric Bicycles: