The Top 5 All Terrain Tires
All-terrain tires are essential for anyone who drives on anything other than well-maintained roads. If you like to go off-roading or you need to battle against tough weather conditions, you need tires that offer you safety and performance. Whether you’re traveling or you want tires for racing, all-terrain tires help you to navigate any surface. They offer a tread pattern designed for handling difficult terrains and tough construction to help them last longer.
If you’re looking for a set of all-terrain tires, you need to know what your priorities should be before you buy. You should be aware of the available sizes, which conditions the tires are suitable for, and the durability of the tires that you’re looking at. You need to choose tires that are right for your vehicle, and you might also want to look at warranties and consider the reliability of the tires you’re looking at.
Take a look at some of these best all-terrain tires to find the perfect choice for your vehicle.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best All Terrain Tires are the BFGoodrich All-Terrain.
Best All Terrain Tires
If you’re looking for an all-terrain tire that is designed to take on even the toughest terrains, the BFGoodrich All-Terrain offers you a reliable option. These tires are designed with a wide tread and made with extra hard rubber. They have sidewall rubber that’s resistant to splitting and bruising, with impressive thickness and extending into the sidewall to protect the failure zone. The tread rubber has been formulated to help reduce wear and tear, making it a good choice for gravel roads and other surfaces that are tough on them. Even more reinforcement is provided from the upper sidewall traction bars, which provides better traction for driving on mud, snow and rock.
The advanced tire footprint shape helps to distribute stress more evenly, so that the tires wear more uniformly and last longer. The tires feature an interlocking tread design for better stability and stone ejectors to prevent stones being caught in the tread. As well as being able to navigate harder stone surfaces, the staggered shoulder blocks help the tires to manage soft surfaces, including snow, soft soil and mud. They have locking 3D sipes and 3D active sipe technology, which is designed to offer more traction in deep snow and similar conditions.
These all-terrain tires are designed for small trucks, vans and SUVs, with a 16-inch radius. They’re designed to manage gravel roads with little wear and tear, but they’re also a good choice for a range of other terrains and conditions, from stone surfaces to snow and mud.
- CoreGard Technology: Tougher Sidewall Rubber: Split & bruise resistant sidewall rubber, derived from BFGoodrich's race proven Baja T/AKR2 tire. Thicker, Extended Shoulder Rubber: Increased rubber thickness, extending down the sidewall to protect more of the critical sidewall failure zone. Advanced Deflection Design: Computer predicted object path design deflects protruding objects from snagging & splitting the sidewall.
- Specially formulated tread rubber: Optimally blended to reduce chip and tear for superior gravel road endurance. Advanced tire footprint shape: results in more evenly distributed stress, for longer more uniform wear. Interlocking Tread Design: provide increased tread block stability, for more even wear over the long haul Stone Ejectors: Rejects stone retention & provides extra tread cleanout protection against stone drilling.
- Upper Sidewall Traction Bars: Protruding sidewall rubber blocks that provide increased mud, snow & rock traction, especially in aired-down driving situations. Mud-Phobic Bars: Raised bars in the shoulder tread area that helps to release compacted mud for enhanced traction in muddy and soft soil conditions.
- Serrated Shoulder Design: Staggered shoulder blocks that provide greater maneuverability in soft soil and deep snow conditions. Locking 3-D Sipes: 3-D active sipe technology, that provides more biting edges for significantly increased snow traction. 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake: Exceeds Rubber Manufacturer Association (RMA) Severe Snow Traction requirements.
All-terrain tires aren’t always the best choice for rain and snow; winter tires are usually better suited to this purpose. However, the Goodyear Wrangler Radial Tire is a good choice if you’re looking for something that can handle adverse weather conditions. It has a tread that’s designed to traverse all kinds of surfaces and deep cuts and sipes to ensure excellent stability. These tires are designed to let water flow through them, thanks to the even tread and deep, wide ridges. This makes them ideal for rain and snow, handling mud, snow or standing water with more ease than many all-terrain tires, and also helps to prevent small stones and pebbles getting trapped.
This smooth tire offers a frictionless experience, which helps vehicles to pick up the speed that they require. Some all-terrain tires don’t offer the best when it comes to speed, but the design of this option from Goodyear makes higher speeds possible, with a top speed of 180km/h. The tread compound is reinforced with microparticles but is still smooth and even so that it can manage a wide variety of terrains without losing speed. The design of this tire makes it easy to clean too, preventing problems with water or debris becoming trapped.
These tires from Goodyear offer you an option that you can use all year, whatever the weather. The large tread blocks give you stability and confident handling so that you can drive over all terrains. Goodyear is a good option if you’re looking for good value and quality for your all-terrain tires.
The Falken Wildpeak all-terrain tire is designed with an optimized tread design and a silica tread compound. The design offers top performance in winter and wet conditions, and also has excellent wear performance. This tire is a top pick if you’re looking for a tire that can survive severe snow conditions. The tire is qualified by the Rubber Manufacturers Association for the Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake Symbol. Some of the features that this tire has includes patented 3D Canyon Sipes, proprietary lower sidewall, and full-depth sipes and grooves. All of these features offer consistent performance and help to slow wear.
The 3D Canyon Sipe technology resists wear and tear from high torque by interlocking the shoulders. It also gives extra handling stability to make driving with these tires even easier. The tread blocks are rough and rigid with support ramps and step-down features for rigidity in the tread pattern. This ensures the vehicle is stable and also prevents stones from getting trapped in the grooves of the tires. Additional protection from rocks comes from the aggressive upper sidewall and offset shoulder blocks, which offers protection from sharp rocks and off-road traction even when the tire pressure is low.
Another advantage of these tires is the heat diffuser technology in the lower sidewall. It dissipates heat to protect the internal components of the tire, which helps to deliver more stability even for heavy loads. If you want a tire that can handle all terrains and also performs well in severe snow conditions, this choice from Falken could be what you’re looking for.
- All-terrain, any-weather rugged capability
- Heat diffuser technology in the lower sidewall dissipates heat to protect the internal tire components. Keeping this critical area of the tire cool ensures vehicle stability even when towing or carrying heavy loads.
- 3D Canyon sipe technology interlocks the shoulders to resist wear from high torque as well as providing additional handling stability.
- Rugged and rigid tread blocks feature support ramps and step-down features that provide tread-pattern rigidity in the contact patch, enhancing vehicle stability and handling while also preventing stones from becoming trapped in the grooves.
- Aggressive upper sidewall along with offset shoulder blocks protect the tire from sharp rocks and provide additional off-road traction at low tire pressures or in off-camber situations.
For another all-terrain tire that will help you to prevent stones becoming stuck, this Hankook tire gives you an excellent option. The wide, deep ridges are designed to stop the problem from happening, making the tire easy to clean and helping to reduce wear and tear from stones getting stuck. The sidewall is reinforced by the tread, and rubber blocks protrude to ensure stability and balance. Two-step sipes are designed to improve performance and help the tire to last longer too. This tire will help you to traverse all types of terrain with its wraparound tread technology, which provides excellent mobility and control.
The Hankook DynaPro is best for small trucks and other similarly sized vehicles, including SUVs, vans, carriers and minibuses. Anyone looking for tires that will handle heavier loads and wants to carry cargo, rather than people, should consider whether other tires might be an option. It’s also an excellent option for anyone who wants a tire that will stand up to higher speeds too, able to handle speeds of up to 190km/h without wear. This tire is 8% wider than other tires, which means it offers levels of stability and balance that others don’t.
Get great control and stability from this tire and prepare your vehicle for handling a range of terrains and different weather conditions too. This tire is a tough wearing option that will handle anything that comes its way and last a long time too. If you’re looking for something for everyday driving in a variety of conditions, this tire can serve you well.
- This product is not for sale in the state of Arkansas
This all-terrain tire from Federal is the ideal tire for sporty coupes and sedans. It helps to provide shorter braking distances thanks to its pattern ribs, and the asymmetric tread design gives the driver better handling. Angled sides also offer better steering precision, and the unique grooves also mean that the tires are able to offer better clearance of water. This means that better resistance to aquaplaning can be achieved. The tire also has reinforced compounds that make it very durable and resist cuts, chips and abrasions for a longer life. The aggressive tread design on this tire gives good traction in various offroad environments, while also remaining quiet while driving on paved roads.
The high tread ply rating offers strong protection for driving off road across a range of rough terrias. The tread design gives great mud traction thanks to its large, stepped and siped lugs. The large gaps make it easier to clean off mud and debris from the tire for easier maintenance. Grooves within the voids help to clean off mud and stones. These durable tires are a smart choice if you’re looking for tires that give you all-terrain capabilities for a smaller vehicle. They are also a good option for small trucks. Take on not just different terrains but also different weather conditions, as these tires can also stand up to snow and ice if necessary too.
- High-performance summer tire for sporty coupes and sedans
- Pattern ribs provide shorter braking distances
- Asymmetric tread design for increased handling
- Angled sides for better steering precision
- Unique grooves allow increased clearance of water for better resistance to aquaplaning
When looking for your next pair of all-terrain tires, be sure to consider the size, durability and speed that they can offer. Your tires need to give you the stability and the handling that you require when navigating different types of terrain. The options above give you some top choices that should help you to find the tires that you require.
How Much Improvement Do All Terrain Tires Make?
Here is a video showing the difference between regular tires and all terrain tires in a 0-30MPH acceleration test and a 30-0MPH braking test: