The Top 10 All Terrain Tires Reviewed
All-terrain tires are essential for anyone who drives on anything other than well-maintained roads. If you like to go off-roading or you need to battle against tough weather conditions, you need tires that offer you safety and performance. Whether you’re traveling or you want tires for racing, all-terrain tires help you to navigate any surface. They offer a tread pattern designed for handling difficult terrains and tough construction to help them last longer.
If you’re looking for a set of all-terrain tires, you need to know what your priorities should be before you buy. You should be aware of the available sizes, which conditions the tires are suitable for, and the durability of the tires that you’re looking at. You need to choose tires that are right for your vehicle, and you might also want to look at warranties and consider the reliability of the tires you’re looking at.
Take a look at some of these best all-terrain tires to find the perfect choice for your vehicle.
Best All Terrain Tires
If you’re looking for an all-terrain tire that is designed to take on even the toughest terrains, the BFGoodrich All-Terrain offers you a reliable option. These tires are designed with a wide tread and made with extra hard rubber. They have sidewall rubber that’s resistant to splitting and bruising, with impressive thickness and extending into the sidewall to protect the failure zone. The tread rubber has been formulated to help reduce wear and tear, making it a good choice for gravel roads and other surfaces that are tough on them. Even more reinforcement is provided from the upper sidewall traction bars, which provides better traction for driving on mud, snow and rock.
The advanced tire footprint shape helps to distribute stress more evenly, so that the tires wear more uniformly and last longer. The tires feature an interlocking tread design for better stability and stone ejectors to prevent stones being caught in the tread. As well as being able to navigate harder stone surfaces, the staggered shoulder blocks help the tires to manage soft surfaces, including snow, soft soil and mud. They have locking 3D sipes and 3D active sipe technology, which is designed to offer more traction in deep snow and similar conditions.
These all-terrain tires are designed for small trucks, vans and SUVs, with a 16-inch radius. They’re designed to manage gravel roads with little wear and tear, but they’re also a good choice for a range of other terrains and conditions, from stone surfaces to snow and mud.
- CoreGard Technology: Tougher Sidewall Rubber: Split & bruise resistant sidewall rubber, derived from BFGoodrich's race proven Baja T/AKR2 tire. Thicker, Extended Shoulder Rubber: Increased rubber thickness, extending down the sidewall to protect more of the critical sidewall failure zone. Advanced Deflection Design: Computer predicted object path design deflects protruding objects from snagging & splitting the sidewall.
- Specially formulated tread rubber: Optimally blended to reduce chip and tear for superior gravel road endurance. Advanced tire footprint shape: results in more evenly distributed stress, for longer more uniform wear. Interlocking Tread Design: provide increased tread block stability, for more even wear over the long haul Stone Ejectors: Rejects stone retention & provides extra tread cleanout protection against stone drilling.
- Upper Sidewall Traction Bars: Protruding sidewall rubber blocks that provide increased mud, snow & rock traction, especially in aired-down driving situations. Mud-Phobic Bars: Raised bars in the shoulder tread area that helps to release compacted mud for enhanced traction in muddy and soft soil conditions.
- Serrated Shoulder Design: Staggered shoulder blocks that provide greater maneuverability in soft soil and deep snow conditions. Locking 3-D Sipes: 3-D active sipe technology, that provides more biting edges for significantly increased snow traction. 3 Peak Mountain Snowflake: Exceeds Rubber Manufacturer Association (RMA) Severe Snow Traction requirements.
All-terrain tires aren’t always the best choice for rain and snow; winter tires are usually better suited to this purpose. However, the Goodyear Wrangler Radial Tire is a good choice if you’re looking for something that can handle adverse weather conditions. It has a tread that’s designed to traverse all kinds of surfaces and deep cuts and sipes to ensure excellent stability. These tires are designed to let water flow through them, thanks to the even tread and deep, wide ridges. This makes them ideal for rain and snow, handling mud, snow or standing water with more ease than many all-terrain tires, and also helps to prevent small stones and pebbles getting trapped.
This smooth tire offers a frictionless experience, which helps vehicles to pick up the speed that they require. Some all-terrain tires don’t offer the best when it comes to speed, but the design of this option from Goodyear makes higher speeds possible, with a top speed of 180km/h. The tread compound is reinforced with microparticles but is still smooth and even so that it can manage a wide variety of terrains without losing speed. The design of this tire makes it easy to clean too, preventing problems with water or debris becoming trapped.
These tires from Goodyear offer you an option that you can use all year, whatever the weather. The large tread blocks give you stability and confident handling so that you can drive over all terrains. Goodyear is a good option if you’re looking for good value and quality for your all-terrain tires.
- Goodyear WRANGLER RADIAL OWL P235/75R15
- All weather traction
- Enhanced handling
- Heavy duty construction
The Falken Wildpeak all-terrain tire is designed with an optimized tread design and a silica tread compound. The design offers top performance in winter and wet conditions, and also has excellent wear performance. This tire is a top pick if you’re looking for a tire that can survive severe snow conditions. The tire is qualified by the Rubber Manufacturers Association for the Three Peak Mountain Snow Flake Symbol. Some of the features that this tire has includes patented 3D Canyon Sipes, proprietary lower sidewall, and full-depth sipes and grooves. All of these features offer consistent performance and help to slow wear.
The 3D Canyon Sipe technology resists wear and tear from high torque by interlocking the shoulders. It also gives extra handling stability to make driving with these tires even easier. The tread blocks are rough and rigid with support ramps and step-down features for rigidity in the tread pattern. This ensures the vehicle is stable and also prevents stones from getting trapped in the grooves of the tires. Additional protection from rocks comes from the aggressive upper sidewall and offset shoulder blocks, which offers protection from sharp rocks and off-road traction even when the tire pressure is low.
Another advantage of these tires is the heat diffuser technology in the lower sidewall. It dissipates heat to protect the internal components of the tire, which helps to deliver more stability even for heavy loads. If you want a tire that can handle all terrains and also performs well in severe snow conditions, this choice from Falken could be what you’re looking for.
- All-terrain, any-weather rugged capability
- Heat diffuser technology in the lower sidewall dissipates heat to protect the internal tire components. Keeping this critical area of the tire cool ensures vehicle stability even when towing or carrying heavy loads.
- 3D Canyon sipe technology interlocks the shoulders to resist wear from high torque as well as providing additional handling stability.
- Rugged and rigid tread blocks feature support ramps and step-down features that provide tread-pattern rigidity in the contact patch, enhancing vehicle stability and handling while also preventing stones from becoming trapped in the grooves.
- Aggressive upper sidewall along with offset shoulder blocks protect the tire from sharp rocks and provide additional off-road traction at low tire pressures or in off-camber situations.
For another all-terrain tire that will help you to prevent stones becoming stuck, this Hankook tire gives you an excellent option. The wide, deep ridges are designed to stop the problem from happening, making the tire easy to clean and helping to reduce wear and tear from stones getting stuck. The sidewall is reinforced by the tread, and rubber blocks protrude to ensure stability and balance. Two-step sipes are designed to improve performance and help the tire to last longer too. This tire will help you to traverse all types of terrain with its wraparound tread technology, which provides excellent mobility and control.
The Hankook DynaPro is best for small trucks and other similarly sized vehicles, including SUVs, vans, carriers and minibuses. Anyone looking for tires that will handle heavier loads and wants to carry cargo, rather than people, should consider whether other tires might be an option. It’s also an excellent option for anyone who wants a tire that will stand up to higher speeds too, able to handle speeds of up to 190km/h without wear. This tire is 8% wider than other tires, which means it offers levels of stability and balance that others don’t.
Get great control and stability from this tire and prepare your vehicle for handling a range of terrains and different weather conditions too. This tire is a tough wearing option that will handle anything that comes its way and last a long time too. If you’re looking for something for everyday driving in a variety of conditions, this tire can serve you well.
- This product is not for sale in the state of Arkansas
This all-terrain tire from Federal is the ideal tire for sporty coupes and sedans. It helps to provide shorter braking distances thanks to its pattern ribs, and the asymmetric tread design gives the driver better handling. Angled sides also offer better steering precision, and the unique grooves also mean that the tires are able to offer better clearance of water. This means that better resistance to aquaplaning can be achieved. The tire also has reinforced compounds that make it very durable and resist cuts, chips and abrasions for a longer life. The aggressive tread design on this tire gives good traction in various offroad environments, while also remaining quiet while driving on paved roads.
The high tread ply rating offers strong protection for driving off road across a range of rough terrias. The tread design gives great mud traction thanks to its large, stepped and siped lugs. The large gaps make it easier to clean off mud and debris from the tire for easier maintenance. Grooves within the voids help to clean off mud and stones. These durable tires are a smart choice if you’re looking for tires that give you all-terrain capabilities for a smaller vehicle. They are also a good option for small trucks. Take on not just different terrains but also different weather conditions, as these tires can also stand up to snow and ice if necessary too.
- Reinforced compounds contribute to exceptional durability against cuts, chips and abrasions
- Aggressive tread design and strengthened shoulder deliver excellent traction and protection from off-road impact
- Optimized block design increases off-road traction and control
- Uniquely designed incremental block edge quickly sheds dirt, sand, and gravel for ultimate off-road traction
- Fit Type: Vehicle Specific
As the newest addition to the company, the Cooper Discoverer STT Pro is currently making a name for itself in its off-road performance. This tire was built to be the original STT replacement, and it was built to manage any terrain off-road that is introduced to it. As well as this, it remains able to manage regular drives, too.
With its advanced silica and carbon black tread compound, there is unrivaled protection when combined with 3-Ply Armor-Tek3. This gives the tires 50% more protection over the usual 2-ply. There are unique shoulder cleats along the outer walls, and these are designed to provide that additional grip on all terrains. Naturally, you may think that this tire, being a beast to look at, would be noisy on the road.
Given its profile, the STT Pro is much quieter than you’d imagine, and there are Flex Grooves along the outside of the tires to reduce the judders from potholes and bumps. This delivers you a far more stable quality of drive, and if you liked the original STT by Cooper, you’re going to love the smooth ride the STT Pro gives you.
- Handles exceptionally well on all road surfaces, even those in inclement weather
- Off-road performance is of a high-quality
- Aggressive and robust design is attractive and good for the vehicle
- Not a cheap option if you are shopping on a budget
- All-Season Off-Road Traction Tire
- The most extreme all-season, off-road tire Cooper offers to date
- Provides remarkable off-road performance without sacrificing on-road traction
- Armor Tek3 construction for added tire durability
- Standard Limited Warranty
Those who really enjoy driving off-road will really love what the General Grabber AT2 tire has to offer. The right tire always makes such a difference to the vehicle performance in terms of traction and tread as well as acoustics, and the General Grabber AT2 tire is the right one. Not only can it withstand the elements on the road, but it will also keep you safe while you drive – precisely what you need in tires on hazardous terrain.
This tire has a 5-row tread pattern, and it’s designed to provide the right traction whatever the condition on the road. This includes deep snow and ice. The tread lasts a lot longer because of the depth of the pattern, and they’ll also handle well on sand, wet mud and rocks. Large tires like these are usually seen to be noisy, especially with treads that are much deeper and handle more vibration. However, the General Grabber AT2 tires are designed to keep your road trips quiet. The vibration levels are kept to a minimum, and this helps to reduce the noise. Whether you are on or off-road driving, this is a tire that is an excellent option.
Safety and performance should be priorities for you, so consider what the General Grabber AT2 Tire can offer you and your driving comfort, and notice below that the pros sincerely outweigh the cons in all senses.
- Long lasting tread due to pattern depth
- Created for noise control
- Superior traction due to tread depth
- Performs excellently in all conditions
- Compatible with vehicles of all sizes.
- Little less flexible on regular paved roads
- All-terrain tire for jeeps, light pickups, and SUVs
- 5-row tread pattern with multiple traction edges
- Extra-deep tread pattern
- Highly-engineered acoustics for lower road noise
- Meets the severe snow service requirements of the RMA and RAC
It’s well-known that the Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires say that they are ready and able to take on all terrains, and it’s true. They are living up to that promise by being as comfortable as possible on both rough roads and ground that is similar to what you drive when you head to work. The Nitto Terra Grappler G2, a US made tire, features excellent traction in all weathers, and customers have previously reported these tires to be versatile, which is exactly what customers look for.
The off-road toughness of the original tire has been much improved in the G2, and while the tread pattern itself is similar, the depth in the tread allows for better traction. There are staggered shoulder lugs that deliver much-needed bite when going through harsh surfaces on the road, but not only this; they offer puncture resistance. This is perfect for rocky roads up the sides of cliffs and mountains alike. The Nitto Terra Grappler G2 tires have addressed the noise issue that most tires have, and have introduced a computerized variable pitch tread block design.
This then reduces the noise right down at highway speeds, making it a far more comfortable drive for you to be on. This is a tire that performs well on the highway, in the mountains and on the street no matter the weather.
- Better increased tread life
- Good snow traction
- Drives very well on-street
- Isn’t the best tire for off-road compared to
- NITTO Terra Grappler G2 - 285/70R17 116T
The Kumho Road Venture AT51 has been created to replace the older AT models eventually, and it has been designed for all types of light duty pickups and SUVs. It has a vast number of features that is made specifically for better road traction. Not only that, but it also offers better tread life and comfort to the driver. The Kumho Road Venture AT51 has a full-depth of circumferential grooves which will help with the off-road traction action on loose gravel.
The enhanced traction is perfect for ice, slush, and snow on the road, and it works for all terrains. There has been a lot of attention paid to creating this tire to be the quietest and comfortable possible on the road. The tread is symmetrical to eliminate excessive road noise. Inside, there are dual steel belts with nylon spirally wrapped so that there is extra durability and strength through the tires. This offers a much longer tread life and reduces too much heat buildup.
The engineers at Kumho have spent a lot of time ensuring that everything with this tire is well-balanced – as all-terrain tires should be. It’s a tire that performs excellently on the highway, and it has been ranked highly among those that are in the upper half of the all-terrain categories. It’s an excellent option for those lakeside drives or weekenders in the mountains!
- Excellent off-road traction, possibly one of the best out there
- Very even treadwear
- Excellent value for money
- Performance in the colder months is of a high quality
- Not great for deep mud traction
- Not much of an increase in ride comfort
- Superbly balanced on/off-road performance, with exceptional efficiency
- Engineered for a quiet, comfortable ride, with symmetric tread design and variable-pitch tread blocks to reduce road harmonics
- Excellent grip and stability in heavy weather, with deep central grooves to channel rain and snow away quickly
- For long tread wear and fuel efficiency, the dual silicone compound is engineered to cool quickly and wear evenly
10. Thunderer MT
It’s all about that tread life with the Thunderer MT. A comfortable ride is the most essential part, but the responsive handling of all-season traction is perfect. The tread has numerous biting edges for grip in all seasons, and it was created to make driving more of a pleasure. There has been an additive in the tread compound, which is sunflower oil, and this was done to increase the traction.
Independent tread blocks and jagged shoulders enable the Thunderer MT to maintain all-season tread compound. You won’t need to replace these tires as often as you would usually, and these Thunderer MT tires are high quality and offer better fuel efficiency to help your budget.
- Silica-based tread
- Low noise
- EnergySaver construction
- Not great in the snow
When looking for your next pair of all-terrain tires, be sure to consider the size, durability and speed that they can offer. Your tires need to give you the stability and the handling that you require when navigating different types of terrain. The options above give you some top choices that should help you to find the tires that you require.
How Much Improvement Do All Terrain Tires Make?
Here is a video showing the difference between regular tires and all terrain tires in a 0-30MPH acceleration test and a 30-0MPH braking test:
Of course if you have good tires you will need to keep them properly inflated. Be sure to check out our list of the best portable air compressors for cars.