The Top 5 Wheeled Backpacks
A wheeled backpack offers the best of both worlds when traveling. With an extendable handle and wheels, you can easily roll it along behind you, relieving the stress on your back and shoulders. But, if the floor surface suddenly gets unsuitable for this, then you can pick it up and carry it on your back instead! It has the practicality of a suitcase and backpack rolled into one package.
If you’re looking to find the best backpack with wheels, then you’re in the right place. It’s essential that you get your hands on a good one that will last for a long time, be comfortable to wear on your back, and offers ample storage space.
Naturally, you may not have the time to search far and wide for the best roller backpacks out there. So, we’ve done the hard work for you! Check out these reviews for five of the top wheeled backpacks around:
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Wheeled Backpack is the JanSport Driver 8 Core Series Wheeled Backpack.
Best Wheeled Backpacks
JanSport is a very trustworthy manufacturer of backpacks, and the Driver 8 Core Series Wheeled Backpack is an incredibly useful product. It easily converts between roller backpack and regular backpack thanks to an extendable handle and tuck-away shoulder straps. If you want to use this as a standard backpack, then you get the benefit of heavily padded straps that offer extra comfort. Then, you can fold these away, pull out the handle, and use the wheels to roll it around and give your back a break.
Easily the best thing about this backpack is the amount of storage you get with it. It has a capacity of 34 liters – or 2100 cubic inches – and features a dedicated laptop sleeve, two main compartments, front organizer pocket, and even a side pocket for water bottles. So, you’ve got more than enough room to keep all manner of things, making this an ideal wheeled backpack for people going on vacation, or even just students that want an easier way of carrying all their heavy books.
Here is a preview of the JanSport Wheeled Backpack:
There’s a real quality look and feel to this product, and the wheels are very sturdy and can handle the heavy backpack load as you roll it around. To add to this, you can choose from around 17 different colors/designs, which is a real bonus. Make no mistake about it, this falls in at the premium end of the scale, and you get a lot of value for your money. It’s the perfect choice if you travel a lot or constantly have to carry around a bag full of heavy items.
- THE MOST TRUSTED NAME IN BACKPACKS - Every JanSport comes with a lifetime warranty. Carry your JanSport with confidence, knowing we'll replace or repair any breaks
- CARRY YOUR GEAR IN COMFORT - Backpack to Roller comes with 80 mm inline skate wheels, retractable two-stage handle, and a padded grab handle
- RELIABLE BACKPACK - JanSport backpacks are made with durable fabric, zippers & straps in colors & designs to reflect your style & needs
- ORGANIZATION MADE EASY – Simple & convenient design, 2 spacious compartments, 15" laptop sleeve, front utility pocket with an organizer and a side water bottle pocket
- AMERICAN TRADITION IN BACKPACKS – Generations have grown up & come to rely on this trusted brand. Over 50 years of schools, work, & adventure
What’s the worst thing about carrying around your laptop? Well, there are actually two main concerns; it’s too heavy to carry, and you’re worried about it getting bashed and banged up. With the Solo Bryant Rolling Laptop Bag, both of these concerns get thrown out the window! It provides you with a compact wheeled backpack that’s ideal for storing your laptop, charger, and some books/documents as well. You no longer have to strain as you carry a laptop bag on your back or shoulders – just wheel this one around!
One of the standout features here is the padded laptop compartment. It can carry screens that are up to 17.3 inches, which you don’t often get in a lot of roller backpacks. The padding itself is very protective and makes you feel like your laptop is safely tucked away without any fear of it being damaged during transit. You also get some additional compartments to fit in textbooks, documents, dossiers, and whatever else you can fit in there. The very front compartment has lots of little organizational pockets for you to but business cards, pens, notepads, and so on – which is very handy!
You can still carry this case like a traditional laptop bag using the sturdy handles, and this is where the wheels really make an impact. The bag has a telescopic handle too, which makes it a breeze to switch into the rolling mode. One push of the button is all it takes, and there’s the added benefit of two little bumps at the front that allow you to stand it upright without it falling over. Overall, this is tailormade for business travelers – it won’t fit clothes in, but you can fit all your business necessities in it, and it’s designed to suit pretty much all airplane cabin bag allowances.
- LAPTOP BAG FOR COMMUTE AND BUSINESS: The Solo Bryant Rolling Laptop Bag features a padded laptop compartment with a secure strap that can protect up to a 17.3-inch laptop. The easy-glide wheels and loads of storage space make it perfect for travel
- ORGANIZED MOBILE OFFICE: This rolling bag includes a spacious compartment that accommodates notebooks, binders, and must-have documents. The second zippered accordion file compartment helps organize bulky files
- QUICK ACCESS: Our rolling laptop bag is packed with loads of storage. The full-size front zipper organizer compartment includes multiple pockets, while the front pocket offers quick access for travel essentials
- TRAVEL FRIENDLY: This is a travel-friendly rolling bag that fits in most airline overhead compartments. The push button telescoping handle retracts into a zippered compartment when not in use, allowing you to roll or carry it with ease
- 5-YEAR WARRANTY: Guaranteed to be unstoppable. We guarantee every bag to be free from defects in materials and craftsmanship for five years from the date of purchase.
Next up, we have another backpack with wheels that combines so much practicality into a lovely package. Visually, this looks like your typical adventure backpack; it’s relatively big, has multiple compartments, but you get the benefit of the wheels and telescopic handle to roll it around. A lot of thought has been put into the functionality of this wheeled backpack; the wheels are corner-mounter and have a molded kick plate to prevent abrasion and offer a very smooth ride. The handles can be hidden away behind a zippered back panel, so you don’t have to worry about them flapping about when you’re rolling the bag.
Inside the backpack, you have a capacity of 34.4 liters, and this comes with plenty of different storage areas. There’s a padded compartment meant for laptops or media devices up to 15 inches, another media pocket for USB storage devices, an organizer, a mesh pocket, and plenty of room for a range of things. This is the type of backpack you can use to carry enough clothes for a few nights away, along with your laptop, chargers, and a few other essentials too!
The straps can easily be adjusted, and they’re heavily padded too. So, if you do want to use it as a conventional backpack, then you don’t have to worry about discomfort. Plus, the High Sierra brand is known for creating high-quality travel items that stand up to different conditions. As such, you’ve got a very durable backpack that can be used over and over again. It fits under airplane seats, so it’s excellent for traveling, but the functionality of it means students will get a lot of use out of this too.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, DURABLE FABRIC: made with 600D Duralite, Duralite Ripstop and Waffle Weave that features a special water resistant coating to help keep gear dry and providing exceptional tear strength in a lightweight material
- ORGANIZER POCKET: organizer compartment with multiple pockets, including a zippered mesh pocket, pen pockets, lidded media pocket and key fob hook perfect for keeping all of your smaller items secure
- TELESCOPING HANDLE: single-tube telescoping handle provides easy maneuverability when extended out from the suitcase, and stores neatly inside the zippered cover when not in use; locks in place in both the fully extended and stored positions
- DEDICATED LAPTOP COMPARTMENT: fully-padded, dedicated laptop compartment designed to carry your laptop computer and help protect it from shocks while traveling
- SMOOTH ROLLING WHEELS: smooth rolling inline-style wheels are corner mounted for stability and provide a smooth ride; a molded kick plate gives extra protection from abrasion
Our search for the best backpack with wheels continues as we look at this intriguing offer from Hypath. There’s a clear aspect of this product that sets it apart from the rest; it’s got two backpacks rolled into one! Firstly, there’s a large convertible carry-on bag that has a capacity of 42 liters. Then, attached to this, you have a smaller backpack that holds 23 liters. The wheels are on the larger of the two bags, so you can roll them both around together!
This feature is unique as it allows you to take off the smaller backpack, carry it on your back, and roll around the larger one. Or, you can attach it to the front of the large backpack and wheel them together – you can even fit the small one on top of it around the telescopic handle! There’s so much versatility here, and you have the underlying benefit of so much storage space. The interior storage compartments are perfect for carrying clothes, books, laptops, and pretty much anything else you can think of. All of the zippers come with lockable loops, so there’s added security for you as well.
If you’re looking for a roller backpack that’s versatile and gives you so much storage space, then this could be perfect for you. It’s designed for traveling so you can pack for a week away without needing to lug around a large suitcase!
- TRANSFORM YOUR TRAVEL - Attach/Detach the 2 Bags. Use as Wheeled Carry-On, Backpack with Wheels, or Stacked Rolling Luggage
- SAVE MONEY THE SMART WAY – Avoid annoying bag fees and outsmart the airlines. Max space, max savings.
- BE READY FOR ANY ADVENTURE – Versatile luggage means you are ready for whatever your trip has in store. Rolling through a resort, backpacking through the mountains, or carrying through the airport.
- HIGH QUALITY, HEAVY DUTY MATERIAL – Made of Hex-Nylon Ripstop with Water Resistant PVC Coating. Won't Rip and Can Take a Beating.
- LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT - Hypath is here to help! Love your luggage or we will buy it back from you. No questions asked! Contact us directly (not Amazon) for customer service.
Lastly, we have a compact rolling backpack that you could easily confuse for a traditional one. If you wear it on your back, then it looks and feels like a normal backpack. It isn’t overly big, so it doesn’t weigh you down. But, there’s still more than enough space inside for textbooks, a laptop, and stationery.
There are ergonomically shaped straps that make it very comfortable to wear on your shoulders, but you also get a telescoping handle that’s so easy for you to hold. It makes it simple to pull out and roll the backpack along behind you. Speaking of which, the wheels are uniquely designed for smooth rolling, and they come with protective guards to ensure that the bottom of your wheeled backpack doesn’t get damaged.
Inside, you have a capacity of 34.5 liters – which is highly impressive! The front zipper pocket comes with organizational features for pens, pencils, key fobs, and other critical items. This product is designed mainly for students, so it’s a great option if you’re studying – or if you’re looking to buy a new backpack for your child.
- Perfect Size For School: Dimension Of 18 X 13 X 9 Inches Rolling Backpack
- Super Comfort Air Mesh Cushion Padded Shoulder Straps With Slip-In System For Convenience
- Safety At Night: Reflective Tape For Increased Night Visibility
- Superior Quality: Durable 600D Polyster Water Resistant Bag With Rust-Free 3 Stage Aluminum Locking Handle With Comfort Padded Carry Handle
- Large Capacity: Main Compartment, Two Side Pockets And Front Pocket Organizer With 5 Pencil Holder, Key Fob, And Zipper Pocket.
Wheeled Backpack Buyer’s Guide
We have five different backpacks with wheels that all serve their own purposes. If you want to make the best decision, then think about what you’re going to need a wheeled backpack for. Is it for business trips? Do you need one to travel with on airplanes? Are you looking for one that’s suitable for students? Your requirements help you figure out what type of backpack you need and the storage capacity that will work best for you. Then, you can narrow down your options and pick the best backpack with wheels for your specific needs!