The Top 5 Waterproof Action Cameras
When it comes to capturing your adventures, a good waterproof action camera is worth its weight in gold. As there are so many on the market now, and with numerous accessories, an action camera is indispensable for those heading out looking to capture amazing sights, whether you’re partial to surfing, watersports, mountain biking, or even parachuting! But when it comes to buying an action camera, it can be quite confusing if you don’t know where to begin. Let’s make it easier for you! Here are the top waterproof action cameras on the market right now.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Waterproof Action Camera is the GoPro HERO 7.
Best Waterproof Action Cameras
1. GoPro HERO 7
This world famous brand has everything you’d expect from an action camera. Naturally, it has an abundance of great features that form a lot of what makes GoPro the go-to brand of choice for action cameras. The HyperSmooth setting is very much a highlight to get really smooth footage, especially when you’re going down white water rapids or rocky trails where there is no chance of a straightforward journey. Naturally, the resulting footage is as smooth as silk. Many people use action cameras for great footage, and photos come secondary. But if you are looking for photos, the Super Photo HDR setting works great, providing high-quality imagery.
Its look doesn’t differ from the HERO 6 version, which you can either consider a positive or a negative. But, when you compare this model to the previous ones, which many will inevitably do, its functions are the same, plus a little bit more. Size-wise, for the uninitiated, it’s very slender and fits in the palm of your hand. And the square lens housing still pokes out as it did with older models, and this really helps to give you a wide selection of shots with different mounts or accessories. In fact, if you have a previous model of the GoPro HERO series, you can use accessories going back to the HERO 5.
With around 70 minutes of battery life when shooting at 60fps at 4K, this gives you a decent amount of time to capture the big waves or a massive journey down a mountain range. The great thing about it, especially if you think this 70 minutes of battery life isn’t much, is that it doesn’t take that long to charge back up. There is a fast charger supplied in the box, but it’s always worth taking a few extra batteries just in case you’ve got to capture additional action, especially if you’re taking a few buddies with their own action cams. You know where you stand with the GoPro and the HERO7 provides reliability, sturdiness, and delivers the goods where it matters! Of course, as far as price is concerned, it can seem a little out of reach, especially when you compare it to the other ones on the market. But, the dedicated GoPro enthusiasts will not be disappointed! And if you want to join this club, then you will foot the $349 bill and become part of the elite!
- HyperSmooth Video Stabilization - Get gimbal-like stabilization-without the gimbal. HERO7 Black predicts your movements and corrects for camera shake to deliver insanely smooth footage
- Time Warp Video - Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a scene. Increase the speed up to 30x to turn longer activities into shareable moments
- Super Photo - Get the best photos automatically. With Super Photo, HERO7 Black intelligently applies HDR, local tone mapping or noise reduction to optimize your shots
- Rugged + Waterproof - Share experiences you can't capture with your phone. HERO7 Black is rugged, waterproof without a housing to 33ft (10m) and up for any adventure
- Voice Control - Stay in the moment. Control your HERO7 Black hands-free with voice commands like "GoPro, take a photo" and "GoPro, start recording
Some people can’t afford a GoPro, so they look to the cheaper versions on the market, but, reservations about a cheaper version would be that the quality dips with every couple of hundred dollars off the price tag. However, if you’re looking for a GoPro alternative, this is a good one for your money. And while there are some quibbles with the image quality, if you’re looking to put this underwater, this is where it really comes into its own. If you’re looking to take a handful of pictures or make videos, the focus is really something under the sea.
Practically speaking, it’s easy to set up and shut down and is relatively fuss-free. If you have only a few seconds to get everything set up while on the move, this works great. The camera is very light weight, which is amazing for your underwater adventures. But also, the anti-shaking feature, which does what it says on the tin, is worth the price alone! Sound-wise, it is good quality. and this is despite the fact it’s in waterproof casing. This will give your adventures a real sense of versatility, whether you’re using it as a dashcam, in the sky, or under the sea!
As far as the price is concerned, just under $80, when you compare this to normal GoPros, you are looking at nearly double the price. And with the fact that there is such an abundance of accessories, not to mention the fact that it provides you with a great quality picture, you know what you are in for, and it’s worth the investment.
- UPGRADE SERIES OF AKASO EK7000: Featuring 4K/24fps, 2K/30fps and 1080P/60FPS video resolution and 20MP photos, AKASO Brave 4 action camera enables you to take incredible photos and ultra HD videos, clearly recording the beauty and wonders in life!
- OPTIONAL VIEW ANGLE AND ANTI-SHAKING: Adjust the view angle of this action camera according to your needs between 170°, 140°, 110°, and 70°. Built in smart gyroscope for anti-shaking and image stabilization to make your video much more smooth.
- SPORTS CAMERA WITH WIFI AND HDMI: Sharing & editing videos from an action camera is easier with the free app. Just download the App on your phone or tablet and connect with this action camera. Wi-Fi signal ranges up to 10 meters. With HDMI Port allows you to connect it with television.
- 100FT WATERPROOF CAMERA AND 2'' IPS SCREEN: Place your action camera into the waterproof case and securely fasten it, then you can dive below 30 meters. This underwater camera is ideal for water sports such as swimming, surfing, diving, etc. 2'' IPS screen allows you to preview the video in action camera.
- FREE VALUABLE ACCESSORIES: This underwater camera comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries, remote control wristband and 19 accessories kit, the kits are available for most kinds of camera even Gopro. Each battery can record up to 90 minutes. The remote wristband is not waterproof.
A great little camera, easy to use, and the design is very similar to other action cameras, giving you a sense of familiarity, especially if you are an old hand at action cameras. Let’s face it, at $54.99, it’s very inexpensive compared to the older GoPro models, and gives you plenty of bang for your buck.
Quality-wise, with the light sensor under the lens, this gives you the best auto exposure, and if you’re looking to film during the night, there is also an LED light that will make life easier. The camera also has built-in Wi-Fi, which gives it a very easy compatibility to upload photos and videos as you go. And while the footage in 4K at 30 fps is subject to blurring from time to time, if you’re using this with accessories like a camera stand, there shouldn’t be an issue so you can capture high-quality footage with ease. But if you want to smooth the video, you can go with 1080p at 60fps.
If you’re going underwater, you will need a case, and in comparison to GoPros that are waterproof by design, the case you need for the Campark can result in muffled sounds, but when you go underwater, this is a very common problem anyway. Ultimately, as a very cheap action camera, this is very much worth the investment. If you haven’t got the money to go for the more upmarket models, give this a go as an entry-level version and start to gain an appreciation of the fine art of filming with an action camera.
- Super 4K recording +Sony sensorcampark 4K sports action camera records video footage in 4K/30Fps and takes photo at 16M. Campark action cameras help you capture and share your world in a fantastic resolution.
- 170° + Optional view angle lensThis Action Cam with 2 Inch HD Screen and 170 degree lens, You can also adjust view angle in the camera, Multiple view angles can be selected, give you a different visual experience, you won't miss out on any background details.
- Wi-fi remote controlaction cameras compatible with iOS and Android System.The sports camera allows you control camera via the phone in real time, what is more, instantly send Pics and videos via email or Share them on social media easily.
- Waterproof up to 30m(98Feet) depththe waterproof case design for underwater world.Waterproof up to 30 meters.Ideal for water sports like swimming, drifting, surfing etc.
- Dual recharger batteries + mounting Accessories kitsincreased long battery life up to 180 minutes (Dual rechargeable lithium batteries) shooting timee along with tons of free accessories. Multifunctional accessories enable you to mount your camera to helmet, bicycles, wrist, etc ( carrying case not included )
While the vast majority of these cameras come with an array of functions, what might be surprising to many armchair action camera enthusiasts is that this one comes with a carrying case (so many do not), this gives you the opportunity to transport your accessories with ease so you can exercise your dreams of being an action camera auteur! The slow motion function is pretty good on this and can do 1080p 60fps giving decent picture quality. But despite its uber convenience, its design is pretty nifty, and despite the fact that it’s a budget camera, there’s plenty of scope.
As a camera, it works pretty well! The picture is good, and the tracking is smooth and slender. In addition to these functions, the Wi-Fi component with the XDV app gives you a lot more to play with, giving you easy opportunity to upload photos and videos so you can delete them from the SD card and replace them with new photos and footage, but while the recommended SD card is a 64 GB class 10, there should be plenty of room. Functionally speaking, there are so many on offer, from time-lapse to slow motion, so for the budding filmmakers out there, it works wonders just as well as the best DSLRs!
If you’re looking for an action camera that provides diversity, as well as functionality, the Dragon touch vision 3 gives you so many different options. And for those armchair action camera enthusiasts that are looking to make a major feature soon, this may very well be your best bet!
- 4K ACTION CAMERA with 4X ZOOM: Professional 4K/30FPS, 2.7K/30fps, 1080P/60FPS video and 16MP photo resolution enables you to capture exciting moment for you. This action camera also features zoom range from 1.0X to 4.0X.
- WIRELESS WRIST REMOTE CONTROL: Put the remote control on your wrist while installing the sports camera on your helmet, convenient to record moments in places you can't reach. Wireless range up to 10m(33ft), the remote is not waterproof.
- WIFI ACTION CAMERA with 2" SCREEN: Save and share your sports action camera moments on the phone/tablet with App XDV, WiFi signal ranges up to 33 feet. 2'' screen allows you to preview the video in action camera.
- 100FT WATERPROOF CAMERA with FREE ACCESSORIES: Place your camera into the waterproof case and securely fasten it, you can dive below 30 meters. This underwater camera is ideal for water sports such as swimming, surfing, diving, etc. This underwater camera also comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries, charger and accessories which available for most action camera even Gopro.
- VERSATILE BUT COMPACT: This action camera features multiple functions including driving mode, image rotation, time-lapse, loop recording, slow motion, dramashot, exposure and white balance. Bringing this sports camera to more applicable conditions beyond your expectation.
As is common now, the 4K ultra HD quality gives you the opportunity to capture the best imagery on your adventures. The great thing about the waterproof aspect of this is that the solid case provide sturdiness that lets you delve up to 30 meters underwater. This makes it perfect for people who want to capture swimming escapades. It’s easy to view your videos or images and is such a user-friendly camera, as well as the various multifunctional accessories, combined with its lightweight and compact setup, it works perfectly for anybody on a budget.
The built-in Wi-Fi gives you the option to connect to your phone using the iSmart DV app. As far as battery life is concerned, after 2 hours in comparison to other models that last 90 minutes, this makes it quite a game changer. At least, when you delve into deep waters, you don’t need to worry about changing battery midway through your expedition, especially if there’s quite a sight in front of you in such uncharted territory.
Battery life is one of the main concerns with any action camera, so if you are going purely for longevity, this is one of the better models out there to get what you want when you need to document any sort of adventure.
- 【FULL HD VIDEO AND PHOTO RESOLUTION】 - 12MP and 1080P together can make sure you capture high quality pictures and videos easily. And 170°wide-angle lens allows you to shoot wider scenes and catch more amazing moment of your surroundings.
- 【30 METERS WATERPROOF PERFORMANCE】 - With the solid and pretty waterproof case, you can dive into water up to 98 feet / 30 meters. Perfect for water sports, such as swimming, diving, surfing and so on. You can explore the unknown underwater world.
- 【WIRELESS REMOTE CONTROL CONNECTION】 - After connecting with your phone via Wi-Fi, you can directly operate the camera in "iSmart DV" APP on your cellphone, such as recording videos, taking pictures. Besides, you can download, delete and view files.
- 【2 RECHARGEABLE HIGH-CAPACITY BATTERIES】 - The camera comes with two rechargeable 1050mAh batteries. No more worry for power running out during the happy times with your family and friends in a short time. You will never miss any precious moments.
- 【2" LCD AND MOUNTING ACCESSORY KITS】 - A larger screen allows you to view videos or pictures more clearly. 18 multifunctional accessories enable you to mount your camera to helmet, bicycles, wrist, etc. Great companion to shoot the exciting moment.
Tips For Using An Action Camera Underwater
Here is a great YouTube video giving some tips on using an action camera in a wet environment: