The Top 5 Walking Shoes For Travel Reviewed
Although you can walk in all shoes, some shoes are specifically designed for the task of walking, whether you’re planning a hike up a mountain, stroll to the shops, or amble around the house. (See our reviews of the best walking sandals and best walking boots for examples).
Walking shoes should not only provide excellent comfort but support and durability too. Styles like boat shoes simply won’t cut it. Good walking shoes need to be able to withstand the demands of rough terrain, damp, mud, and abrasion. They should provide adequate grip, support, and robustness, but without becoming too heavy to compromise performance.
There are hundreds of walking shoe manufacturers in the market, so cutting down the just a handful is a challenge. What’s more, actually choosing the right shoe is difficult: all our feet are different, and so a shoe that’s good for one person might not be ideal for another. With that said, some shoes are better than others. So, without further ado, let’s take a look at the five best walking shoes for travel.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Walking Shoe For Travel is the Rockport Men’s We are Rockin Chranson Walking Shoe.
Best Walking Shoes For Travel
The walking shoe market is a crowded and competitive one. Practically every manufacturer wants you to believe that their shoes offer the very best all-terrain performance. But what about Rockport Men’s We are Rockin Chranson Walking Shoe? What makes it stand out from the competition?
The main draw is the materials technology that Rockport has managed to cram into the shoe. The Chanson features a sophisticated form-fitting fabric that molds itself to the shape of the wearer’s feet. The shoe, therefore, doesn’t suffer from one of the significant disadvantages of old walking boots: the need to “bed them in” – something which usually only occurred after the wearer got a blister. Walkers can pick up a pair of Rockport’s Chranson walking shoes and go on an adventure immediately, without running the risk of ruining their feet in the process.
What about sizing? Rockport has been clever when it comes to offering customers suitable sizes. Rather than sticking with traditional shoe sizing conventions, there are both length and width offerings, including extra narrow and extra wide, depending on the user’s foot shape.
So, in summary, the Rockport We Are Rockin Chranson, is an impressive shoe. With leather construction and intelligent foam lining the upholstery, walkers have the chance to find a shoe which complements their feet perfectly. The downside? If you’re ordering online, you might not be able to get the exact shoe you need for your foot size.
- Ample cushion and a sturdy walking platform combine for a versatile, highly comfortable fit.
When New Balance was designing the Men’s MW877 Walking Shoe, it’s clear that they had comfort in mind. The shoe exudes ergonomic efficiency and cushioning, making it ideal for people who want to walk long distances or may be going through a period of rehabilitation.
The shoe itself is made from a combination of suede and mesh. It has a rubber sole and uses New Balance’s proprietary ABZORB midsole cushioning material for impact support. The company has also given thought the comfort at the top of the foot, double-padding the tongue and providing additional collar cushioning around the ankle.
What’s so interesting is New Balance’s esoteric approach to developing the Men’s MW877 Walking Shoe. The company isn’t trying to keep up with the latest styles or do something bold and daring to attract attention. Instead, they’ve gone with a simple, almost minimalist design to appeal to people who want functional performance and maximum comfort. The company has been in business for over a hundred years, so they have moved well beyond the latest fads and trends. Their shoes only change when their research and development suggests that they should.
Should you buy New Balance’s offering? That depends. If you want a shoe that offers both excellent sizings (including widths), then yes, the Men’s MW877 Walking Shoe is a good choice. If, however, you’re interested in keeping up with the latest trends, then this may not be the shoe for you.
- ACTEVA midsole
- AT Tread outsole
- NB response 2.0 performance insert
Skechers occupies the opposite end of the market to New Balance. It proclaims its product as being for men who are “trend-savvy.” And to look at the Afterburn Memory-Foam Lace-up Sneaker, you can certainly tell that Sketchers had style in mind. The shoe comes in a variety of colors, including black and gold, black and pebble, and charcoal and black, appealing to the fashion-conscious.
But, as you might expect from a brand like Sketchers, it’s not all about looks. Take build quality, for instance. The Afterburn Memory-Foam Lace-up Sneaker is made from leather and synthetic composite and features a rubber sole, a mesh with supportive overlays, and a padded collar for extra comfort around the ankle. The shoes, like many others, also feature a memory foam insole to enhance comfort during long walks.
Skechers know that there’s a big demand out there for shoes like the Afterburn Memory-Foam Lace-up Sneaker. Although marketed as a “walking shoe,” the company is interested in gaining business from people who need to be on their feet for eight to ten hours a day. The Afterburn, therefore, can’t just be a shoe that’s for show: it has to have longevity and durability too. It must be a shoe that performs in all conditions and can withstand daily use.
Skechers has an image as a style brand, and so needs to prove to customers that its products are as robust as they are good-looking. And with the Afterburn, this is precisely what the company has achieved. Thanks to high-quality memory foam, the shoes do not lose their integrity, even with daily use.
So, to conclude, the offering from Skechers is ideal for anyone looking for both comfort and style. Although a premium shoe, Skechers has managed to combine its trademark style with impressive durability in a shoe targeted at a market where style concerns often play second fiddle.
- Lace-up sneaker featuring mesh upper with supportive overlays and padded collar
- Cushioned mesh tongue
- Memory Foam Insole
Nike, the largest apparel maker in the world, has long been in the business of making quality sports shoes. And with the Men’s Air Monarch Iv Cross Trainer, it’s turned its attention to walking shoes for travel. But has it succeeded in this arena as it has in so many others?
Nike’s advantage in the walking shoe market comes from its Air technology. Although initially developed for sprinting, Nike Air is entirely at home in the Monarch, offering walkers extra bounce, cushioning and support. The air pocket runs for the majority of the length of the rubber sole, giving wearers the comfort of air which cannot be found on other brands.
Nike has also carefully considered airflow over the shoe. The leather upper has perforations in areas traditionally prone to sweat buildup, keeping feet dry in hot weather.
The shoe also has a solid rubber outside which the company says can cope with a variety of surfaces.
So who is this shoe for? Fundamentally, it’s for people who want to benefit from the latest in shoe comfort technology. For sure, it’s not as stylish as Skechers’ offering. But there’s no denying that Nike has incorporated a great deal of technology into the shoe to improve comfort. What’s more, the shoe is of solid construction and features Nike’s Air technology, enhancing comfort above that of the competition.
- NIKE SHOES MEN: The Nike Air Monarch IV (4E) Training Shoe for Men sets you up for a comfortable training session with durable leather on top for support.
- DURABLE LEATHER: Men's sneakers are made with leather upper features for durability and support, while perforations provide airflow during every shoe wear.
- CUSHIONED COMFORT & DURABLE SUPPORT: A lightweight foam midsole with full-length encapsulated Air-Sole unit cushions every stride, providing all day comfort in your Nike shoes.
- RUBBER OUTSOLE: Men's Nike shoes are designed with a solid rubber outsole that is durable and provides traction over varied surfaces.
- LIFESTYLE/GYM SHOE: Whether you're looking for lifestyle sneakers for men or new gym shoes, the Nike Air Monarch IV is the perfect shoe to meet all your needs.
The Skechers Performance Men’s Go Walk 4 was designed with a single purpose: to help men who find it difficult to walk to get back on their feet and on with their lives. And the company has done an excellent job. These are arguably the most comfortable shoes in this review, thanks to their unique bamboo construction and flexible upper design.
But what makes them so comfortable? Part of the answer to that question comes from the 5GEN midsole cushioning. 5GEN is Skechers’ take on EVA, a common foam filling material in most midsoles. The 5GEN material offers a considerable amount of rebound, helping to take a lot of the shock out of the leg as the foot hits the ground. Although perhaps not as responsive and “bouncy” as some people would like, the 5GEN material does a good job at an attractive price point. It’s not perfect, but in most walking situations, it’s sufficient to offer enough rebound that the person wearing them doesn’t notice a degradation in performance.
Another attractive feature of the Men’s Go Walk 4 is the lace-less, slip-on design. The shoe features a tongue built into the upper and a cut-out section at the ankle which acts as a kind of handle when putting the shoe on and taking it off.
The bamboo lining is a nice addition. Bamboo is a natural deodorant, helping to keep the Men’s Go Walk 4 fresh, even when worn for many hours at a time. Skechers also include a featherweight sock liner, or you can look at other walking socks to pair with them.
The Men’s Go Walk 4, therefore, is for people who want convenience and supreme comfort. As one of the lightest walking shoes available, the hope is that wearers will get all of the comfort and support benefits of the shoe without a weight penalty.
- Radically lightweight ; Tapering midfoot design for improved arch support ; Side S logo
- Bamboo lined footbed for anti bacterial odor control
Recommended Walking Shoe Accessories
- Designed for people who work on hard surfaces all day and experience discomfort and fatigue in their feet and legs
- Built with Massaging Gel Technology and extra cushioning to provide all-day shock absorption, they help you stay energized while you work
- Great Arch-Support – Firm columns provide contoured support to overworked arch area
- Fits Work boots/shoes, Casual shoes & Sneakers. Trim to fit shoe size
- Dr. Scholl's offers a Money Back Guarantee if you're not satisfied with the product
- PERFORMANCE: The Best for Hiking, Camping, Mountain Biking, Trail Running, Backpacking, Travel, Trekking and Other Athletic Outdoor Activities and Wide Variety of Winter Sports.
- BLENDED FOR STRENGTH & DURABLILITY : Made of 55% Combed Cotton, 40% Polyester, 2% Spandex. Socks are designed to keep your feet warm and dry during the rigors of trekking the earth's wild place. They are Strong and durable socks.
- COMFORTABLE SUPPORT: Socks are reinforced with high-density fibers and pile cushioning in the underfoot area for added comfort when hiking, walking, or during any outdoor activities, It protects the foot from shear and prevents painful blisters
- DESIGNED TO BE COMPRESSED & FOR ELASTICITY: Socks are designed to feature a med-compressed & elasticity to gently support and protect an Arch, Ankle, Heels and Stay up, Compressed Top Holds the sock securely on the calf
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: We stand behind our brand product, and we know these will be the best outdoor hiking socks you will ever wear. If for any reason you are not fully satisfied with our quality, simply send back the socks to Amazon.com within 60 days for full refund!
More and more people are recognizing the advantages of walking, and that includes the elderly. Many older people are including walking in their exercise routine, even if it means utilizing aids like walking canes to give them stability.