The Top 5 Trekking Poles Reviewed
If you love hill walking or hiking, it is important to make sure that you do invest in the absolute best trekking poles available on the market. This is particularly important if you are going to be carrying a heavy bag. The poles will help keep you steady on a steep decline or incline. Or, if you’re crossing streams, they can help ensure you don’t lose your step and fall in. Of course, these are just a couple of benefits using these types of poles. They can also ensure that you have more grip and support in the worst elements and some hikers have even found them to be useful warding off wild animals.
When you’re looking for the best trekking poles there are a few factors to consider. You need to think about length, durability and the grip that they provide. So, let’s look at some of the best options on the market and consider whether these are the right products for your needs when you next go hiking.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Trekking Poles is the Hiker Hunger 100% Carbon Fiber Trekking Poles.
One of the most important requirements when purchasing trekking poles is that they will dig into thick and hard material, providing the right level of stability. You’ll be pleased to hear that these poles will serve you well. You’ll be able to use them to dig into piles of shake or even wet shale. As such, you should have no issues on the thicker or firmer ground where you want to make sure you stay upright.
As well as this, these poles are suitable for longer hikes and treks. For instance, you could use these poles on the Pacific Crest Trail with no trouble at all. If you don’t know, that’s a 2660 mile hike and this should provide you a good idea of just how durable the poles really are. Of course, you might still be worried about different parts of your poles wearing away after some use. The good news is that all the accessories can be bought separately and added on so you can certainly use spares.
However, if you’re looking for poles with the latest advanced features these might not be for you. You won’t find spring loaded or anti-shock tips here. Instead, the tips are mounted solidly to provide the maximum level of support as you climb. Many prefer this design as it ensures the tips won’t fail at an inopportune moment.
Some hikers will be looking for longer poles of roughly 7 feet. While these are quite rare on the market, these poles can be taken apart so extra pieces can be added on. As such, you could still rely on these poles even if you need something longer.
If you’re heading away on a hike for the weekend, you could be travelling first to reach your destination. The good news is that these collapse down to just under 24 inches. So, you’ll easily be able to fit them into your luggage.
- 100% CARBON FIBER - BUILT TO LAST - Our poles are made of 100% Carbon Fiber which makes them the strongest and lightest poles in the outdoor market! Carbon Fiber acts as a natural anti-shock material.
- ULTRA-LIGHT - Our Hiker Hunger poles are ultralight weight, each pole only weighs 7.6 ounces which totals under a pound for both!
- COLLAPSIBLE - ONE SIZE FITS ALL - One special feature is our quick flip lock that makes it easy for you to collapse or extend your poles. The poles can go from 24" (60.9cm) all the way to 54"(137cm)! And each section can be separated to reach 21", small enough to fit in a suitcase and PERFECT for traveling with! Great fit for short or tall MEN, WOMEN & KIDS. Offers benefits to Seniors and Those Carrying Extra Weight.
- ALL TERRAIN POLES - From Climbing Ice Mountains to an Easy Urban Walk, Heavy Duty 4 Season Accessories and a Tungsten Carbide Tip Won't Let You Down. Rubber tips, snow baskets, mud baskets and feet are included with a CARRYING CASE! COMFORTABLE GRIP - Our poles sport a moisture-wicking ergonomic cork grip that conforms to the shape of your hand for maximum comfortability! The grip will fit like a glove! There is also a nonslip EVA Foam Grip extension under the cork grip for steep uphill climbs!
- 1 YEAR WARRANTY, RISK-FREE PURCHASE - We want you to be happy with your poles if there is an issue you have a 1 year manufacturer warranty! Don't Worry about Amazon's 30-Day Return Window.
If you’re looking for all-around trekking poles, you need a set that provides plenty of different accessories and these certainly fit the bill. Ultimately, you are provided with large baskets that can be used for snow, smaller ones for mud and the feet which can be fitted over and used on smoother easier surfaces like pavement. As such, regardless of what terrain you are on, you’ll be well equipped with these products.
Many trekking enthusiasts don’t want poles that are too heavy either. These are incredibly lightweight which means that you will have no trouble carrying them around and weigh just 7.9 ounces with no accessories added on. That’s a lot lighter than some of the other possibilities available on the market today.
As well as this, these poles are easy to adjust to the point where you will even be able to make changes on the go. They are suitable for a range of different heights and weights, even reducing down to just two feet! So regardless of what you need these poles for, you’ll find that they serve you well on the slopes.
Some people believe that poles should not be used for support and to lower the pressure on knees or ankles during hiking. While some poles may not be suitable for this type of use, these certain area. You’ll be able to put a lot of the weight and the pressure on the poles, taking it off your tired legs. You can use them for balance too and the grips provide the comfort you need, even on longer hikes.
- MOVE FASTER & FURTHER WITH LESS EFFORT: Made from Shock Absorbent, Ultralight 100% Carbon Fiber Material, which Minimizes the Impact on Joints and Absorbs any Noise. Weighs only 7 oz so it Reduces Arm Fatigue Allowing One to Move Quicker and Go the Extra Mile while Exerting Less Energy. Indestructible Design Will Withstand the Most Challenging Backpacking Trips.
- ONE SIZE FITS ALL: Quick Lock Technology Allows User to Adjust Pole's Length Quickly and Easily While Firmly Holding its Position. Perfect Fit for Short or Tall MEN, WOMEN & KIDS. Provides Benefits to Seniors and Those Carrying Extra Weight. Retractable from 24" to 55", which Makes Foxelli Trekking Poles One of the Most Versatile and Compact in its Class.
- SUPREME COMFORT: Anti-Slip Natural Cork Grips Adjust to the Hand, Absorb Sweat, and Keep Hands Cool and Dry During Long Distance Hikes. Air Ventilated, Extra Padded, Adjustable Wrist Straps Provide All Day Comfort. The Extended Foam Sleeve Has Ridges and is Made of Soft EVA Foam to Easily Handle Switchbacks and Abrupt Changes in Terrain.
- ALL TERRAIN, ALL CONDITIONS: From Climbing Ice Mountains to an Easy Urban Walk, Heavy Duty 4 Season Accessories and a Tungsten Carbide Tip Won't Let You Down. Thermoplastic Rubber Tips Strongly Attach to the Staffs so they won't be Lost in Snow, Mud or when Snagged. CARRYING CASE INCLUDED!
- RISK-FREE PURCHASE: Don't Worry about Missing Amazon's 30-Day Return Window. We Offer a 120-Day, No Questions Asked, Money Back Guarantee with a 3 Year Warranty for Defects. If You're Not 100% Satisfied, We'll Give You Your Money Back. BUY WITH CONFIDENCE.
One of the best features of these poles is that they fold in three different places. This means that you will have absolutely no trouble storing them and taking them with you. Certainly, when folded, they are significantly smaller than many of the other options on this list. So, they’ll be perfect for hiking holidays. As well as this, the poles have snycork or synthetic cork grip. This is designed to provide a greater level of grip than cork while being more comfortable than typical foam grips. We think these poles succeed on both fronts and you won’t have any trouble on longer hikers.
You might be worried about using carbon fibre poles. The problem with carbon fibre poles is that they do tend to vibrate and this can be uncomfortable. Thankfully, there’s no issue with that here at all. Instead, the poles are sturdy and this is likely due to the aluminum connectors between different parts. As such, you get the best of both worlds – solid poles that are as light as a feather!
Another great feature of these poles is the locking button design. This has been redesigned to ensure that it is both easy to use on the go and that the pole doesn’t collapse when in use. Again, here you’ll find you get two advantages. When locked in the pole won’t come apart but you will be able to make any adjustments you need to the length during your hike.
- NEW AND IMPROVED - Our hiking poles now feature real cork handles and replaceable carbide tungsten tips! Pair that with super-strong carbon fiber shafts and aluminum alloy connectors, you get an incredibly durable package. They will not let you down!
- ADJUSTABLE - The poles are quickly adjusted from 100 cm to 120 cm or 115 to 135 cm using a single flick-lock, allowing them to always be at the perfect length.
- COMPACT - The unique folding design packs down to less than 15 inches in length, making our poles the perfect choice for travelers or backpackers. Assembly is simple and takes just a few seconds.
- COMFORTABLE - The ergonomic real cork handle will absorb sweat and provide all-day comfort for both men and women. Each trekking pole comes in at less than 9 ounces, reducing arm fatigue and letting you enjoy your hikes or walks even more.
- LIFETIME WARRANTY - We're a US-based company that offers a lifetime warranty on all of our gear. If you have any problems with your trekking poles, let us know and we'll do our best to help!
It’s rather rare for this type of equipment to provide style options and choices. However, the Trail Buddy Trekking poles definitely provide this possibility. You can choose from five different colour possibilities that provide a way to customize your equipment. You’ll also be pleased to learn that these poles are suitable for getting wet. That’s useful if you need to cross any streams and after you simply need to take them apart and leave them to air dry. This will help you avoid any issues with rust.
Similar to other poles, these can also be used on a wide range of surfaces. For instance, if you will be trekking in icy conditions, you simply need to leave the carbide tip exposed without any of the accessories. This will provide the solid grip necessary for a tougher surface such as this.
The poles are tough too. You might have had poles in the past that have broken quickly and this could be because you have used carbon fiber. While lightweight these are not suitable for tougher hikes filled with endurance issues. In contrast, the aluminum poles here will serve you well on these types of climbs, providing the strength and durability you require.
- TOUGHER THAN CARBON FIBER - TrailBuddy Trekking Poles' tough aluminum can withstand pressure and impact better than carbon fiber - crucial if hiking on rocky terrain or supporting heavier weight
- LIGHTER THAN 6061 ALUMINUM - Aluminum 7075 hiking sticks can weigh up to 4 ounces less - a huge difference considering you might be lifting the poles thousands of times in a single hike
- EASIER TO ADJUST THAN TWIST LOCK - Changing the height of these telescoping poles from 25.5 to 54 inches is a breeze even when you're wearing gloves or trekking in wet conditions thanks to its lever-locks
- BUILT FOR YOUR COMFORT - Cork handles are comfy to use in both hot and cold temperatures, are moisture-wicking, and mold to the shape of your hand while the strap is padded to avoid chafing your skin
- GET YOUR COMPLETE SET NOW - Available in beautiful black, blue, red, green, yellow, pink, purple, and aqua colors, these poles also come with a carrying bag, 2 pairs rubber tips , 1 pair connectors, mud baskets, and snow baskets (snow baskets for light snowshoeing only, NOT for skiing)
The main selling point of these poles is that they are designed for anti-shock trekking. Essentially, this means that you won’t have to worry about pain through your legs or indeed any of your limbs when using these poles. As such, they are perfect for longer hikes that last for hours or even days. As well as providing an extra level of stability, these poles are also very easy and quick to adjust. That means that you will be able to use them regardless of how tall you are or what type of hiking style you prefer. You can even use these if you have knee issues as they will offer the additional support that you need particularly on tougher climbs.
Another great selling point of these products is that they are incredibly durable. It’s not an exaggeration to say that these poles could last you for years and still be in a similar condition to when you originally purchased them.
This is particularly important as these poles can largely be seen as a budget-friendly option. You won’t have to worry about spending a fortune on these. It’s worth pointing out that the producers also provide a tremendous level of customer service. If you have any issues with breakages or accidental damage, they are more than willing to offer a solution that will benefit you.
Finally, since they come in several different beautiful shades, you can choose the type that matches your style or preference.
- GREAT FOR EVERYBODY - Our hiking poles were designed with the beginner & experienced hiker in mind. They are affordable yet well made with many great features that everybody can appreciate.
- NEW & IMPROVED - We have upgraded our hiking poles with more comfortable grips and padded wrist straps for added comfort on your hiking trips! Grips are more ergonomically designed with light ribbing for added grip.
- GREAT FEATURES - Each pole can extend in length from Approx. 25.5" up to 52", allowing the poles to be great for people of any height.
- DURABLE & LIGHTWEIGHT - These hiking poles are made of aircraft grade aluminum, making them durable and light enough for most beginner hikers. Each pole weighs in at about 12.4 ounces (including tips).
- WARRANTY - The BAFX Products Hiking / Walking Poles are covered by our GREAT 1 Year Warranty when purchased from BAFX Products or authorized dealer.
We hope you find this advice useful when selecting the best trekking poles for hiking. Remember certain styles and designs will suit different types of hikers so it’s important to find the right ones for your needs. For example, someone who is hiking through snow with snowshoes will need better gripping poles.
Recommended Trekking Pole Accessories
Trekking Pole Rubber Tips
- HIGH QUALITY - 4 replacement trekking pole accessories made of vulcanized rubber
- LIGHT WEIGHT - These are the lightest accessories available for your trekking poles
- SMALL BUSINESS - We are a small hiking company in the United States
- BONUS PAIR - Receive 4 accessories and you will have an extra pair if any get lost!
- COMPATIBLE - Fits most trekking pole brands!
Hiking Leg Gaiters
- WATERPROOF OXFORD FABRIC AND POLYSTER CHARACTERISTICS: Made of 600D Oxford fabric and 300D Polyester, Unigear Leg Gaiters provides excellent water and tear & puncture resistance. Upgraded Durable TPU belt can be used for long time, low temperate resistant(-35℃/-31℉). Comfortable and breathable
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND EASY TO CARRY: Coming with small package, it's easy to fold up and carry. 4 sizes(S,M,L,XL) and 3 colors are available for you: Black, Blue and Green
- FIRM TO WAER AND CONVENIENT TO USE: With adjustable top buckle strap on top and TPU footband on bottom, our gaiters fit different sizes of boots. It's easy to put on and take off with the front wide opening Velcro, very convenient to use
- MULTI-FUNCTIONAL: Excellent waterproof and dust proof material prevents water, rain, snow, mud, wind, sand, mosquitoes, insects from entering into your shoes or pants and keep you leg warm. It can be widely used for Snow, Desert, Rain, Jungle, Hiking, Hunting, Running, Walking, Skiing
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: If for any reasons you are not satisfied with our gaiters, we'll exchange it, replace it or refund your money within 60 days of purchase. Simply e-mail us the problem, and we'll take care of you.
How To Use Trekking Poles
Here is a great YouTube video showing a few different techniques for using hiking poles: