The Top 7 Snowboard Waxes Reviewed
There’s nothing quite like the sight of crisp blue skies and powdery slopes for those who enjoy winter sports. For snowboarders, the arrival of fresh snow is a sign to get their gear out and make the most of the white stuff. If you’re a keen snowboarder, you’ll need to stock up on supplies and equipment before the season begins, including snowboard wax.
For those who tend to ski or snowboard for a couple of weeks of the year on vacation, snowboard wax may be something of a novelty. When you hire gear on holiday, it usually comes ready waxed for you. If you plan to snowboard more regularly, or you’re thinking about trying to take your talents to the next level, it’s wise to invest in the best snowboard wax and learn why it’s important.
Snowboard wax plays a crucial role in maximizing enjoyment on the jumps, as it enables the board to glide through the snow effortlessly. Essentially, the wax works by melting the snow on contact, reducing friction and generating speed. As snowboarding is an intensive activity, lowering friction serves to make it slightly easier on the leg muscles, as well as improving performance.
If you’re on the lookout for the best snowboard wax out there, we’ve trawled the virtual aisles to bring you the leading contenders. Here are some of our favorite products:
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Snowboard Wax is the Hertel Wax Super Hot Sauce.
Best Snowboard Waxes
Hertel’s best-selling snowboard wax doesn’t just stand out because of its quirky name. This is a product that has been turning heads and winning over fans since the 1970s. Over the years, the wax has been developed and modified to achieve optimum performance, and it’s not hard to see why this is a firm favorite for many winter sports enthusiasts.
The lowdown on Hertel Wax Super Hot Sauce
Hertel’s Super Hot Sauce wax is one of a handful of all-temperature products on the market, and it boasts a unique, patented formula that uses specially selected surfactants to reduce friction, improve grip and increase safety. One of the best aspects of this particular wax is its versatility. As it is geared towards all temperatures, boarders can ensure they’re ready for all conditions.
Hertel Wax Super Hot Sauce is a proven winner in the best snowboard wax stakes, and the fact that is has been flying off the shelves since 1974 speaks volumes. Even in a competitive market, with snowboarding really taking off in recent years, this wax has stood its ground. This is largely due to its unique formula and the reputation of the brand and the product itself. Suited to all riders, this is a versatile selection, which offers a host of benefits.
Pros and cons
- Proven results over nearly 50 years
- Patented formula
- Increased safety
- Improved control and grip
- All-temperature wax: can be used for hot or cold conditions from 6-52 degrees Fahrenheit
Can be applied hot or cold
- Lasts up to 3 days for prolonged use and more hours of fun on the slopes and jumps
- Some buyers have noted that the speed is not as impressive as with other types of wax
Who should buy Hertel Super Hot Sauce?
If you’re looking for a wax product you can trust to do a great job, this is an excellent option for you. It sits in the same price range as many other top sellers, it has a proven track record, and it has a very high review rating.
- THREE DAYS OUT OF ONE OUNCE - One ounce of Super HotSauce will last for three days compared to one day offered by the low price product. Package contains 1 340g / 3/4 Pound Brick or , you get 12 ounces.
- MORE CONTROL – Our all temperature wax is specially formulated to work in all snow and weather conditions and great for riders of all levels. Stop using the colored snowboard wax formulas that are dangerous and don’t give you the speed and control you’re looking for
- UNMATCHED PERFORMANCE AND hyper SPEED – Hertel Wax will out-perform every other ski wax out there - Guaranteed! Our formula works by changing the structure of the water in the snow you’re riding on in order to give you extra speed, control and most importantly, safety
- APPLY HOT OR COLD – Hertel’s Ski and Snowboard Wax is perfect to apply the traditional way with an iron to heat up the wax or simply rub it on cold for a quick application. For best results, heat up with an iron up to 189° Fahrenheit, Stay safe and ensure you have premium control when carving down the mountain with Hertel Super HotSauce. One brick equals 36 days of skiing.
- ALL TEMPERATURE SNOWBOARD AND SKI WAX – Maintain amazing control over your skis or snowboard no matter the weather and in any condition. Our all weather snowboard wax is great for temperatures as low as 6° to 52° Fahrenheit. 1 340g / 3/4 Pound Brick
Made in the US, ZUMWax RUB ON is one of the most popular and highly-rated snowboard wax products on the market at the moment. Suited to use on its own or as part of preparation using ZUMWax’s Iron On wax, the ease of application is a draw for many. With this rub-on product, you don’t have to hang around if there’s fresh powder on the slopes ripe for exploration.
What’s so special about ZUMWax RUB ON?
ZUMWax’s RUB ON wax is hugely popular because it offers a really simple, hassle-free means of waxing your board and getting ready for a day out on the mountains. The straightforward 2-step process facilitates rapid prep and involves:
Rub the wax onto the board and then buff using the attached cork
Push the container up to apply wax on the go
The RUB ON product was developed based on the success of ZUMWax’s Iron On wax, and it provides an alternative application method using the same winning formula. It smells great with a pleasant hint of vanilla, it’s easy to apply, it lasts, and you can choose to run wax on the slopes for added speed and a healthy dose of adrenaline.
Who can benefit from this product?
This product is ideally suited to those who like to snowboard on a regular basis, as well as beginners. If you’re looking for a stress-free, swift way of waxing your board, this could be your new go-to. You can wax anywhere, and you’ll enjoy rapid acceleration and a really smooth ride.
The pros and cons
ZUMWax sells directly to buyers to keep prices low, it’s known for its simplicity, and it boasts a proven formula.
The vast majority of reviews for this product are incredibly positive, but some riders have reported that the wax doesn’t last and that it’s not a suitable substitute for hot wax for longer runs.
- No hassle all-temperature RUB ON Wax with two step application: 1) Rub on then buff into base with attached cork; 2) Push up container for easy on-hill application
- Air temperature Range: 10°C to -30°C or 50°F to -22°F
- Snow temperature Range: 0°C to -30°C or 32°F to -22°F
- 70 gram -- Color: Green -- Made in USA
- WE MAKE ALL OUR WAXES OURSELVES LOCALLY IN US & SELL IT DIRECTLY TO YOU - NO MIDDLE MAN! Click "ZÜMWAX" on top of the page to see all waxes we manufacture and sell + "How to Wax" videos & more!!!
A hugely versatile option that is designed for use at any snow temperature, Demon Hyper X wax was developed in Southern California nearly 30 years ago. Consisting of a blue block of wax, which weighs in at 1.06lbs, this innovative lump of a product has a lot to offer.
Introducing Demon Hyper X Wax
Demon Hyper X Wax is a multifunctional product, which contains 2 main components that clean and wax the board. The cleaning feature enables you to ensure that your board is sparkling before you apply the wax, and it boasts a subtle citrus scent to fill the air with fragrance.
Demon’s unique blend is designed for speed and durability, and it helps to increase safety on the slopes.
The pros and cons
- Designed for use at any temperature
- Cleaning feature
- Nice smell
- Increased speed and agility
- Perfect for frequent use
- Good value for money
The only real downside is that some buyers say that the application process is trickier in higher temperatures.
Who should buy Demon Hyper XWax?
This product is a fantastic choice for snowboarders and winter sports fans who are looking for performance and value for money. This giant hulk of wax is versatile, and it lasts forever. At just $19.99, this is a great price for a product that will keep your board in check for weeks. It’s also ideal for conscientious boarders who want their boards to glisten and sparkle.
- Demon Hyper Wax -1.06 lb Big Block- Universal Blend for Any Temp
- Premium proprietary blend guarantees you to be the fastest on the mountain.
- Optimal use at any snow temperature. Universal temperature blend.
- Original blend developed in 1991 in Southern California and still made there today!
- Premium scent, Premium blend, Premium speed- Guaranteed!
Suitable for skiers and snowboarders, Purl’s Ski/Snowboard wax comprises a microcrystalline formula, which aims to aid acceleration at the same time as increasing durability.
Features and benefits
Purl Ski/Snowboard wax is suitable for use between 10 and 23 degrees, and its main selling point is the focus on durability. This product was developed by riders for riders, and it is designed to prolong the life expectancy or your skis or snowboard.
Purl wax is easy to apply, and it’s ideal for those who enjoy both skiing and snowboarding, as well as those who prefer to dedicate their time to one pursuit. The unique formula has been modified and manipulated to provide a superior blend that suits riders of all abilities.
Is Purl Ski/Snowboard Wax the best choice for me?
If you’re looking for a snowboard wax that can also be used for skis, you’re keen to get a lot of use out of your product, and you’re searching for value for money, this could be a great investment for you. A bulky bar, which will last, this is an excellent choice for those who ski or board at temperatures between 10 and 23 degrees. This product has a very high rating, but some people have noted that its performance is not as impressive outside of the optimum temperature range.
- Very broad operating range 5º to 35º F
- 1Lb Block = enough to keep your gear waxed all season
- Includes ultra fine buffing pad
- microcrystalline ski wax, PFC Free
- Proudly Made In Colorado USA
If you feel the need for speed no matter what the weather is doing, Hertel’s All Temperature Fast Ski Wax is likely to appeal to you. This universal product boasts a vast temperature range, providing enhanced control between 6 and 52 degrees Fahrenheit.
The best bits
Hertel All Temperature Wax is a best-selling product for skiers and snowboarders, and there are several reasons why. This is a versatile wax, which will impress skiers and riders who enjoy participating in winter sports in a range of conditions. The product has been developed to cope with all kinds of environments and it’s suited to all abilities and levels of skill. This wax can be applied either hot or cold, and it should last for days.
One of the most impressive selling points is the level of control provided by this unique formula. When you use Hertel’s All Temperature wax, the snow effectively melts on contact, providing you with extra grip and increasing your chances of swerving trouble on the slopes.
Who should buy Hertel All Temperature Fast Ski Wax?
This is a product that is suitable for almost anyone who enjoys skiing and snowboarding. A wax for all conditions, you can benefit from using this product whether you’re a novice or a pro. This wax has been tried and tested over many years, and it offers excellent results every time.
- ✅ ALL TEMPERATURE WAX – Maintain amazing control over your skis or snowboard no matter the weather and in any condition. Our all weather snowboard wax is great for temperatures as low as 6° to 52° Fahrenheit. 1 141g / 5 ounce bars
- ✅ MORE CONTROL – PEOPLES Our all temperature ski wax is specially formulated to work in all snow and weather conditions and great for riders
- ✅ UNMATCHED PERFORMANCE ONE OZ LAST FOR THREE DAYS – Hertel Wax will out-perform every other ski wax out there - Guaranteed! Our formula works by changing the structure of the water in the snow you’re riding on in order to give you extra speed, control and most importantly, safety
- ✅ ONE WAX, ALL CONDITIONS – Our All Temperature Snowboard Wax is perfect for skiers and snowboarders of all skill levels. Stay safe and ensure you have premium control when carving down the mountain with Hertel Super HotSauce
- ✅ FIFTEEN DAYS OF SKIING - If the snowboard wax is applied properly. Rub on , you will get 30 days.
Perfect for skiers and snowboarders, the Universal Wax Tune Kit ensures you’re always ready to hit the slopes. Containing three different types of wax; Warm, Cold and All Temp, this kit comes in particularly handy if you ski in a variety of locations.
In addition to featuring all-purpose wax, the Don’t Eat Yellow Snow Snowboard & Ski Universal Wax Tune Kit provides everything you need to maintain your equipment and optimize your performance on the snow. The plexi scraper, cork bar, and polishing cloth are all great quality and enable you to prepare for the snow quickly and efficiently.
Although many users rely on the Universal Wax Tune Kit to keep their gear prepped at home, it’s fantastic for on-the-go tune-ups too. The multi-pocket case can be fully closed, which makes it easy to take your ski or snowboard accessories with you wherever you go.
While advanced or experienced skiers may prefer more specialist wax, the Don’t Eat Yellow Snow Snowboard & Ski Universal Wax Tune Kit does provide great quality. If you want to optimize your speed or prevent yourself from getting stuck on flat ground, this wax is certainly up to the job. What’s more, the addition of stickers and the well-presented carry bag makes the Don’t Eat Yellow Snow Universal Wax Tune Kit and ideal gift for skiers and snowboarders.
- ★ Large Multipocket Case With Zipper Closure
- ★ INCLUDES: Snowboard / Ski Wax For All The Conditions, 3 pc, 115 grams / 4 oz each (All Temp, Cold, Warm). Plexi Scraper (1 pc). Tuning Polishing Base Cork Bar (1 pc). Durable Finish Polishing Cloth (1 pc)
- ★ Perfect Kit For At Home Tuning Or On The Go Tune Ups
- ★ Faster Snowboard / Skis (Don't Get Stuck On Flat Terrain)
- ★ Your Gear Will Last Longer
Used for freeride, alpine and Nordic skiing, Cold Wax for Swix works optimally in temperatures ranging from -4 degrees to 14 degrees Fahrenheit. The generous block ensures you’ll have enough wax to keep your skis or board in fantastic condition throughout the season. Many users find that one block of Swix Cold Wax lasts them the entire season, even when applying it once a week.
The biodegradable formation of this hydrocarbon wax makes it one of the best on the market. As well as enhancing your performance on the snow in colder temperatures, you can ensure that your equipment doesn’t cause damage to the environment, regardless of where you use it.
Like most cold wax, the Swix biodegradable formation is pretty hard. While it’s relatively easy to apply, it does take some patience to get the best results. Swix recommends using an iron to ensure perfect application, so it’s not appropriate for on-the-go use. Providing you dedicated the time to applying the wax, however, it works as intended and ensures optimal speeds on the snow.
If you only ski in colder temperatures on occasion, the Swix Biodegradable Ski/Snowboard Cold Wax might be a bit much for your needs. However, it is long-lasting and may provide the perfect incentive to hit the slopes sooner than you planned!
- New biodegradable ski and snowboard wax from Swix
- Cold wax works best from -4 degrees to 14 degrees fahrenheit
- Best for all skis and snowboards
- Apply with an iron for best results
- The best environment and user friendly wax on the market
There’s nothing like the thrill of hurtling down snow-covered slopes on a clear, bright day. If you’re looking forward to a winter vacation, or you’re a keen snowboarder searching for the best snowboard wax, hopefully, this guide will point you in the right direction.
How To Wax A Snowboard
This video demonstrates how to properly wax a snowboard: