The Top 5 Snowboard Jackets Reviewed
For the boarders among us, it doesn’t get any better than shredding down a snowy mountain with the blue sky blazing and the world at our feet. Up high like that, you really can feel like you’re on top of the world. The peace will be incredible, and you’ll get the chance to enjoy views more spectacular than ever before. Sadly, all that snow can also make it pretty cold.
Even once you get stuck into the sweaty business of shredding, those subzero temps could soon slow you down or leave you in peril. That’s why, once you’ve got your board and safety gear sorted, you’re going to want to consider your outfit. Any clued up snowboarder knows, for instance, that proper thermals and layers are vital for maintaining temperature up high. And, the best way to finish off the ideal snowboarding outfit is with a snowboard jacket.
This is the part of your outfit that your fellow boarders are sure to see. While your embarrassing thermals will be underneath all those layers, a cringe-worthy snowboard jacket could see you hiding behind pines rather than doing yourself proud on the slopes. Not to mention that the wrong jacket selection could see that cold seeping into even your deepest layers.
It’s fair to say, then, that selecting a decent snowboard jacket is a vital part of your experience. That’s why we’re going to talk you through the best options available at the moment.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Snowboard Jacket is the Burton Men’s Breach Insulated Jacket.
Best Snowboard Jackets
When it comes to both style and functionality, Burton definitely deserves their place on this list. The chances are that you’d be proud to wear their designs to any party, and their snowboard jackets are well in keeping with that stylish brand. As you can expect, the Breach insulated jacket comes in a variety of designs, including everything from a golden/red combo to an earthy camo option for your fashion needs. And you won’t just look good when you choose this offering.
The Burton Men’s Breach also boasts of being the most technical in its class. The midweight thermolite insulation combines with a living lining which offers automatic and consistent climate control. The fully-taped seams, 2L DRYRIDE, and high-performance hood can also keep you snug and dry at all times during a session, no matter how many falls you experience. Even the zippers are water-resistant! And, to top it all, Burton uses 40% recycled materials, making this an eco-friendly offering for the planet lovers out there.
While this is at the higher end of the snowboard jacket budget, then, you could say that you get what you pay for. The astounding 100% of happy customers on Amazon definitely suggest as much. If you want a stylish snowboard jack which stands the test of time, then, you needn’t look any further.
- DRYRIDE two-layer fabric [10,000MM, 10,000G] is waterproof and breathable for outstanding weather protection; Fully taped seams seal out foul weather
- Living Lining mapped with THERMOLITE and soft taffeta fabric regulates body temperature, adapting to ups and downs of your activity; Integrated action back enhances mobility
- Helmet-compatible Contour hood with drop construction and front and rear cinching; Zippered media and goggle pocket and interior mesh dump pocket for storage
- Ergonomic water-repellent magic stitch removable waist gaiter with jacket-to-pant interface seals out snow; Screen Grab Media Holster has a window for water-resistant device access
- Standard jacket features include: Pit Zips, media port, glove loops, and pocket clip
As you can probably imagine, the stylish designer offerings don’t end there. Classy brand, Columbia is also out to make your snowboarding sessions that bit better with their men’s Alpine Action offering. While the six color selections don’t quite live up to Burton’s impressive palette, there are still some sleek designs available in this release. Owners of this jacket certainly get to enjoy the stylistic benefits of cross-dyed shell fabric and some pretty vibrant colors.
But, of course, this is a snowboard jacket, and looks aren’t the only thing you should be looking out for. You’ll also want to keep warm, and that’s a benefit which Columbia guarantee with their Omni-Heat™ capabilities, drawcord waist, and adjustable storm hood. A storm hood which, for the record, you can remove if it gets in the way. This jacket’s got you covered from a waterproofing perspective, too, with Omni-Tech waterproof materials. While it doesn’t bring the bulky insulation of many options, happy customers report that this 100% polyester jacket brings a surprising amount of warmth. And, it does it all at a price point which few boarders could sniff at.
- STORM-FIGHTING JACKET: The Columbia Alpine Action Jacket for big men is a superior technical jacket that is durable, comfortable, and rugged. It delivers next-level waterproof breathability and warmth that stands up to serious storms.
- CRITICALLY SEAM SEALED: This jacket is also critically seam sealed for maximum protection and features a durable 100% polyester Matte Melange shell, 100% polyester Omni-Heat Reflective Microtex Light lining, and 100% 100g Microtemp XF insulation.
- VERSATILE FIT: Our Big and Tall Columbia snow jacket includes a down-style baffling that is flexible, provides cushioning, and delivers a versatile fit without wearing thin over time
- TAKE WINTER HEAD ON: The Columbia Men's Voodoo Falls 590 TurboDown Big and Tall Hooded Jacket retains nearly every degree of body heat. It's durable, rugged, and engineered to provide superior comfort.
- OMNI-HEAT: Omni-Heat Reflective garments are the ultimate body heat management system for outdoor performance. The metallic dot patterns are designed to retain heat, while the lining consists of breathable fabric that dissipates moisture and heat. Media pocket
If the limited color availability of the Alpine Action left you lacking then fear not, because the North Face Resolve is bringing it back with an incredible 30+ designs. Included in their list are acid yellow and lime green offerings, as well as more subtle classics like grey and black for those who think the slopes are bright enough already.
Of course, colors alone don’t make a good snowboard jacket. Luckily, they aren’t the only benefit you can find when you trust in North Face. Unsurprisingly from a company who are famed for their outerwear, this 100% nylon offering has some fantastic outdoor benefits, not least its waterproof fabric for guaranteed dryness. That’s because the durable outer layer on jackets in this collection is paired with a polyurethane-coated inner layer, ensuring any collecting moisture can escape from inside as well.
As with the Alpine Action, a drawcord works to keep the elements out, as do the elastic cuffs. The hood on this offering is also fully adjustable, and folds into the collar of the jacket rather than coming apart altogether, making for a smoother experience all around. Admittedly, the focus on this one very much seems to be on the waterproof side with no thermal abilities as such. Still, this is a strong contender when paired with the thermal layers you’ll be wearing when you take to the slopes anyway.
- The North Face Size Chart
- Please note, the logo and hardware color may vary in styles marked as Prior Season.
- Screw your courage to the sticking point and power through the rain and wind on your next inclement hike with the weatherproof protection of the Resolve 2 Jacket.
- Relaxed Fit.
- DryVent 2L shell:• Rugged, textured twill shell offers waterproof, breathable, and fully seam-sealed protection.• Specially woven face is windproof while retaining breathability.• DWR (durable water repellent) polyurethane finish offers additional water-resistant protection.• Mesh lining through the body improves breathability.• Smooth taffeta lining through the sleeves and hood moves easily over base layers. Three-piece hood rolls away into the collar. Stand
From Burton to DC; boy, are we spoiling you? While they may be better known for their iconic shoes, DC’s snowboarding Servo is definitely one for the snowboarding books. As stylish as their best shoes, this has all the benefits of an excellent boarding jacket and more. Like our other selections, it comes complete with weather defense waterproof capabilities for the coldest and wettest falls you can imagine. The body also has 80g of insulation while the arms each boast 40g, meaning that you certainly won’t get cold with one of these on your back. There are even hand warmer zip-up pockets in case your fingers freeze between sessions! You needn’t worry about overheating with this design, either, thanks to mesh-lined armpit venting meaning decent temperature control is a given.
It seems that DC has also considered practicality here, with a jacket-to-pant attachment system ensuring that your flesh never falls foul to the bite of snow when you go down. There’s even a media cord routing system to gurantee that you can listen to your favorite songs or communicate with fellow boarders with ease. Even better, you’ve got a zip-up chest pocket to keep your chosen devices safe at all times.
It’s not surprising that customer reviews are good for this one, with 70% of people giving it five-star approval. It is worth noting, though, that reviews suggest the sizes on these jackets come up as rather large. In fact, 62% of customers reporting it didn’t fit as expected. If you take that into account when buying, though, this jacket definitely has a lot going for it.
- Waterproofing: 15K DC weather Defense technology
- Fabric: polyester oxford weave
- Fit: regular
- Insulation: fill weight: body 80 gram and sleeves 40 gram
- Lining: taffeta lining
This CAMEL CROWN offering might be the cheapest option on our list by quite a margin, but honestly, it boasts a whole load of benefits. Though somewhat limited to standard subtle color choices, the design is sleek for sure, and that’s not even the best thing you can expect to enjoy from this snowboard jacket. This 100% polyester design also comes complete with waterproof levels of up to 10000mm as well as a high-density windbreaker, meaning CAMEL CROWN has got your back for every weather. If you’re worried about keeping warm in this jacket, you needn’t be thanks to warm fuzzy lining designed with heat retention in mind. A focus on ergonomics in both fabric and design also means that you’ll never feel bulky or restricted, neither of which you want when you’re shredding your latest slope.
Cheaper needn’t even mean a shorter life, with CAMEL CROWN using an anti-scratch and wear-resistant polymer blending material on the outside of this jacket. As well as protecting you, this can go a long way towards ensuring an affordable snowboard jacket which stands the test of time. Add to that multiple pockets both inside and outside, and it’s hard to see why anyone wouldn’t want to give this a go.
Do note that many customers have commented on a tricky zip, meaning that you might want to slip into this one before hitting the slopes to save yourself fiddling with cold fingers. Other than that, this is the ideal option for anyone looking at the lower end of the market.
- Warm ---- The super soft fuzzy lining and cotton padding will keep you warm during cold days. Waterproof rain jacket will help you stay dry on a rainy day
- WATERPROOF ---- The waterproof level is 10000mm/H2O, breathability is 3000 g/m²/24 hours on average, and all the zippers are in waterproof design, waterproof polyester spinning fabric can prevent rainwater
- WINDPROOF ---- The windbreaker jacket shell with the adjustable and detachable hood, has a high density of textiles. 180g lightweight warm cotton filled locks the body heat effectively and builds a perfect Camel-Tex windbreak system. And with Adjustable cuffs, the stretchable glove with thumb hole helps keep warm
- MULTI POCKETS ---- 2 zippered side pockets, 1 waterproof pressing glue breast pocket, 1 zippered inner pocket pocket, and 1 velcro big inner pocket. An earphone line fastening and supporting fixture available inside the jacket. Suitable for downhill skiing, snowboarding, snow sports, camping, leisure travelling, outskirt riding, casual travelling, hiking and many other winter outdoor sports
- ANTI-SCRATCH&WEAR RESISTANT ---- The Ski coat's shell is made of the polymer blending material. The strong textile fiber fabric shell, which can reduce the risk of accidental injury, avoids being scratched by rocks and branches and at the same time protects your body
You’re never fully dressed without a snowboard jacket, but there are so many fantastic options out there than you really needn’t worry. Some of the best designers have focused their efforts here, meaning that you can look like the fashion icon you are both on the slopes and off them.
How To Choose The Right Snowboard Jacket
Here is an excellent video talking about things you should consider when trying out snowboarding jackets: