The Top 5 Ski Helmets Reviewed
Whether you’re a skiing pro, or you’re a beginner when it comes to the slopes, you really need to make sure that you’ve got a great, functional, and stylish ski helmet. Without this, you’re putting your safety at risk, and you’re potentially ruining that entire skiing outfit that you chose out especially for a day on the slopes. There are many options out there depending on your budget and what you’re looking for, but picking out the right one can seem like a challenge, especially when you’re not too clued up on the best choices on the market.
Luckily, we’ve put together this brief guide reviewing some of the best ski helmets out there, so that you can rest easy knowing that you’re protected on the slopes (and that you look great, too). Ski helmets are a lot more complex than you would think, and taking the lining, the ear pads, and the weight into consideration is key. After all, these are the things that can make or break a ski helmet, and if you’re a regular skier, you need to make sure that you’re protected and comfortable. Here’s our take on some of the best ski helmets that you can buy.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Ski Helmet is the Drift Snowboard & Ski Helmet.
Best ski helmets
- Lightweight: the Drift ski helmet is up there as one of the most lightweight options, and it fits comfortably, too. The strap doesn’t cause any discomfort, either, which is one of the main complaints about other helmets on the market.
- Safety: this helmet has clearly been designed with safety in mind and meets the relevant standards, so that you can relax about experiencing any head injuries whilst you’re skiing.
Designed well: the ear pads cover the ears well, and don’t cause any discomfort for the wearer, which is always a benefit when you’re wearing the helmet for long periods of time. The features on the helmet are impressive for the price, and you can adjust the size easily, as well as switching between 3 different options when it comes to the venting.
- Stylish: the Drift is definitely a stylish option, and the design is smooth and modern. It looks a lot smaller than some of the other choices out there, and really is a sleek choice, especially because of the matte finish. If you want to look good on the slopes, this is definitely a good shout.
- Lacks some features: for the price, you can’t complain about the features on this helmet, but we had to come up with some downsides, right? It doesn’t have all of the features of a more high-end helmet, but it does the job very well, especially as a mid-range option.
- OFFICIAL EQUIPMENT SUPPLIER OF THE US SKI TEAM - Wildhorn is a proud supplier of the US Ski Team and Ashley Caldwell. Ashley is the 2017 World Freestyle Aerials Champion (think quadruple twisting BACKFLIPS 60 ft in the air)! The Drift is her helmet of choice for recreational skiing and snowboarding.
- DON'T LOOK LIKE A BOBBLE HEAD - Most ski and snowboard helmets are bulky, heavy and uncomfortable. We meticulously designed our Drift helmets to offer the best ergonomic fit and protection on the market so you'll shred the slopes in comfort and style rather than looking like a dashboard bobble head. The Drift offers unparalleled performance, safety, comfort and style for all levels of skiers and snowboarders.
- LIGHTWEIGHT PREMIUM CONSTRUCTION - Weighing in at under 18 ounces, the Drift snowboarding helmet is on average 25% LIGHTER than competing products. It is made using advanced manufacturing techniques with composite foam technology. The result is one of the highest performance, lightest weight helmets on the market. Meets ASTM F2040 standards.
- EVERYONE HATES A SWEATY HEAD - Drift ski helmets feature our VNT technology- a patented adjustable temperature control ventilation system. It uses a combination of both direct and indirect airflow and fully adaptable vents to provide temperature climate control for your noggin. Simply slide the vents open to cool off and slide them close when you get chilly.
- COMFORT COMFORT COMFORT - You'll be hard pressed to find a more comfortable snowboard helmet. Our ultra plush interior liner provides maximum comfort and insulation. The ear pads are audio compatible (check out our new Wildhorn Alta Bluetooth helmet compatible earphones) and can also be removed for those warmer Spring ski days. The Drift also features our FTA (Fine Tune Adjustment) system that offers micro adjustments for the perfect fit.
- Comfortable: the Giro Ledge is a comfortable helmet, and it also ticks the right boxes when it comes to not being too heavy (although it feels a little heavier than the Drift overall). A notable feature is the warmth of the helmet, as it comes with a balaclava inside.
- Stylish: this is another one of those choices that ranks up there with the best ski helmets, and this is, in part, because of how stylish it is. With the same matte finish and sleek feel as the Drift, the Giro Ledge doesn’t make you look like a bobble head, which is good news for those fashionable skiers out there.
- Good ventilation: this helmet also has pretty good ventilation, which is great for keeping your head warm whilst making sure that you’re not too sweaty; something that could impact upon the comfort level of the helmet.
- Sizing can take a while: you may have to mess around with the Giro Ledge a little in order to get the sizing right, but once you’ve got it, you’ll be good to go.
Goggle clip: the goggle clip isn’t as secure as other helmets, which can be inconvenient when you’re skiing.
- Size M (55.5-59cm) - CONSTRUCTION - Hard Shell construction produces great helmets at great value. A rugged outer shell is molded and then attached to the EPS foam liner.
- FIT SYSTEM - Auto Loc 2 Fit System (removable) is a durable self-adjusting fit system designed to take the hassle out of fitting a helmet. A supple elastic fit band at the back of the helmet merges with fixed-position straps, which adjust to cradle your head when you set the system to one of the 3 different circumference settings. The new On-the-fly Vertical Tuning feature helps to dial in your fit and goggle set up without removing your helmet.
- VENTILATION - Stack Vent in the front of the helmet which aligns with your goggles and helps to keep them clear and fog free. The Super Cool Vents on the top of the helmet allows the hot air to escape.
- SEAMLESS COMPATIBILITY WITH ALL GIRO EXV GOGGLES - Giro products have been meticulously designed and tested to work together. We've fine-tuned the pairings of our helmets and goggles using exhaustive testing in our Dome R&D center and translating those findings into the perfect Seamless Compatibility fit. We recommend Giro Axis, Ella, and Blok Goggles.
- FEATURES - Compatible with aftermarket Giro audio systems by Outdoor Tech. Removable ear pads. Removable goggle retainer. Compliance: CE EN1077. Size M (55.5-59cm)
- Affordable: the AKASO is around $20 cheaper than some of the other mid-range helmets, which is good for those who are looking for quality but don’t necessarily ski a lot. In fact, the quality is consistent with the other helmets here, so you’re getting more for your buck.
- Safety: like the other two helmets mentioned above, this one offers high safety levels, and will protect your head whilst you’re out there on the slopes.
- Great features: for a product of this price, the AKASO boasts a lot of great features. At the back of the helmet there is a dial to make it bigger or smaller, and there are vents that you can open and close manually on the top.
- Comfortable: this ski helmet is light, and is even a little lighter than some of the leading high-end alternatives. The lining is comfortable, and you could wear this helmet for quite a long time without feeling like you’re being weighed down. It’s unlikely that you’d feel any discomfort, either.
- None: we can’t think of any right now. It doesn’t come in a matte color if that’s what you’re looking for, but this helmet is affordable, and of very high quality, especially for the price. Go AKASO!
- PROTECT YOUR DOME - Safety certified; Light weight and durable construction fuses the helmets outer shell to the impact-absorbing EPS liner (EPS foam is made in the USA).
- STAY COMFORTABLE - Easily adjust the fit of the helmet with the tension dial on the back. The goggle loop on the back snaps down to hold your goggles secure.
- CLIMATE CONTROL - Adjustable vent on top slides to change how much heat you let out.
- REMOVABLE LINERS - Detachable fleece liner & ear pads let you customize how much warmth you need. They can be washed easily and sweat & odor free.
- LIFETIME BREAKAGE WARRANTY - Got a problem? Let us know! We are always here to help and are committed to your satisfaction.
- Affordable: this is in a similar price range to the AKASO, which makes it a good option if you’re looking to save yourself some cash whilst still getting a decent helmet. All in all, it’s not too bad considering how low the price is.
- Features: it has a size adjustment dial so that you can fit the helmet comfortably, and you can adjust the vents to how you want them on the TurboSke, which is also pretty helpful when you want to keep your head at a comfortable temperature.
- Better for certain head shapes: sometimes, it takes forever to find a helmet that fits to your head properly. The TurboSke is one of the best mid-range ski helmets for those with oval shaped heads, as a lot of the other options just don’t fit very well, so this is worth trying out.
- Comfort: this isn’t as comfortable as some of the alternatives out there, although it does the job for those who don’t spend hours each week skiing. It’s a lot better with a balaclava underneath, but this can be an inconvenience if you’d rather not wear one (if it’s not as cold out, for example).
- CERTIFIED SAFETY. This helmet has undergone intensive safety tests. It fully complies with EN1077 and ASTM safety certified standards
- SUPERIOR PROTECTION. Two reinforced layers providing superior protection from the inside out. The external cap that made from strong ABS material provides superior protection from outside.
- VENTILATION. Adjustable venting lets you control airflow to suit the ambient temperature. Vents draw fresh air in the front and pull moisture out the back
- SIZE ADJUSTABLE. Size adjustment dial for a perfect fit. By turning the glove-friendly dial with your thumb, the semi-flexible shell either expands or closes around your head. For most head shapes it gives an absolutely fantastic fit.
- BUILT-TO-LAST & 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED. Build quality that imitators can't match! We're a helmet manufacturer selling directly on Amazon, the quality control is no doubt implemented with the highest standard
- Super affordable: the OutdoorMaster KELVIN is one of the best ski helmets in terms of affordability, and it comes in at just over $30. If you’re looking for a cheaper option when it comes to your ski helmet, this one is definitely worth considering, although it doesn’t quite match up to the features on the AKASO or the TurboSke.
- Comfort: the KELVIN offers some padded material around the chin strap, which gives the wearer an extra boost when it comes to comfort. It has a soft lining and is pretty good when it comes to making sure that you don’t experience any pain or discomfort, and this is beneficial for those who spend a few hours at a time on the slopes.
- Lightweight: like most of the other helmets, this is also quite lightweight, so you won’t be experiencing any neck pain after going skiing. This is a useful feature for those who ski often, and for those who aren’t as committed.
- Head shape: this helmet is only really suitable for those with round heads, and you may find that you suffer from some discomfort if your head is more of an oval shape.
- Sizing: the OutdoorMaster KELVIN only really offers smaller sizes, which could be an issue for some, especially if your head is over the 23 inches that they class as ‘large’. It can also run a little small, so make sure that you keep this in mind when you’re purchasing.
- ASTM CERTIFIED SAFETY - Ski helmet built for both comfort and safety. Equipped with REINFORCED ABS SHELL & SHOCK-ABSORBING EPS CORE.
- CHOOSE BETWEEN 9 DIFFERENT COLOR OPTIONS - Sleek design available in 9 different color combinations for you to choose from. All in matte finish.
- ADJUSTABLE SIZE - Size adjustment dial for a perfect fit. EASY TO WASH removable ear pads & inner fleece liner.
- BEST-IN-CLASS VENTILATION - Equipped with 14 individual vents for next-level ventilation for HOURS OF COMFORTABLE SKIING.
- WHAT YOU GET - 1 x OutdoorMaster KELVIN Ski Helmet, OutdoorMaster's friendly customer service.
How To Choose The Right Ski Helmet
Here is a great YouTube video explaining what you need to know about ski helmets, and how to find the right fit:
So, if you’re looking to purchase a ski helmet, these ones are some of the best (and most affordable) on the market, and they all offer a high level of safety, whilst also taking style and design into consideration. Ultimately, your budget is the most important thing here, but you can still get some of the best ski helmets whilst not splashing out the big bucks for the more high-end models. These options do what they are supposed to, which is the main thing, and they won’t put you out a lot of cash in the process.
Another thing to keep in mind is the comfort level that is provided by these helmets, especially if you’re one of those people who spends a long amount of time on the slopes. Luckily, most of these options allow you to utilize the ventilation dials, and they boast ear pads and helmet linings that will set you up for a whole day out there enjoying the sport. Whichever helmet you decide to go with, you ultimately have to weigh up the price vs. the benefits, and all of these helmets are pretty good contenders when it comes to this. Good luck finding the best ski helmet for you!
If you liked this article then you may be interested in our other winter gear reviews. Be sure to check out our lists of the best ski gloves, best snowboard pants, best heated jackets, and best snowshoes.