The Top 7 RV Solar Kits Reviewed
Who wouldn’t love some free energy to power their RV?
The prospect of getting solar panels may seem enticing at first and using the sun to power your RV can be a very promising idea especially with the rise of solar panels and their use.
However, it’s important to understand that solar isn’t “free” energy, especially with the costs involved in purchasing solar panels.
Solar panels won’t replace your RV battery – they are an additional way to power your on-board devices. You also need to consider that solar panels obviously do not work when there are periods of no sun. This means that if the majority of your RV usage is in the winter, you’re not going to get a great experience and if you use your RV in shared camping parks where you can purchase or share power, then it’s often cheaper just to use whatever’s available to you instead.
Having said that, RV solar kits can still be incredibly useful if you’re only looking to power a couple of devices – say a television and antenna – and don’t have much access to power in the locations that you’re camping in. This is when an RV solar kit can come in handy.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best RV Solar Kit is the Renogy KIT-RV200D Solar Panel kit.
Best RV Solar Kits
The right solar kit for your recreational vehicle will depend greatly upon the devices you intend to power. But quality and functionality are aspects that every RV owner should consider, so we compared features and combed through owner reviews to come up with our list of the top RV solar kits available:
First, we have the Renogy KIT-RV200D Solar Panel kit, a solar panel kit that comes with a variety of different accessories. It comes with the two solar panel arrays, a flush mount charge controller, mounting brackets, cables and connectors. It’s everything that you need to set up your solar panels and there are multiple different kits you can purchase that come with extras such as additional cables, a BlueTooth module and even multiple panels for extra energy gain.
The Renogy KIT-RV200D Solar Panel kit has High Module conversion efficient, meaning it can output around 1000Wh per day depending on sunlight conditions. It uses an advanced encapsulation material with multilayered sheet laminations in order to produce more energy, enhance the performance of individual cells and also provide more longevity. In other words, it’s an incredibly durable and long-lasting solar panel kit that will provide you years of service and can even withstand high winds and snow loads. Of course, you’ll need to keep cleaning the panels if you are subjecting them to harsh weather, but knowing how durable they are, this shouldn’t be an issue.
A bonus with purchasing the Renogy KIT-RV200D Solar Panel kit is the customer service offered. After all, installing a solar panel kit isn’t an easy task and can be quite difficult depending on your experience with electricity so being able to contact the manufacturer for help is a blessing. All things considered, this is arguably one of the best RV solar kits you can purchase for functionality, durability and also the support you get.
- Designed for off-grid solar panel system, Caravan, RV, boat, Green house Solar panel system. Mono-crystalline Solar Cell efficiency: 21%
- Corrosion-resistant aluminum frame for extended outdoor use, allowing the panels to last for decades as well as withstand high winds (2400PA) and snow loads (5400PA)
- This kit includes our adventurer 30A PWM flush mount charge controller can charge the Battery quickly and safely under almost any condition
- Order will be delivered in multiple packages; bypass diodes minimize power drop caused by shade and ensure excellent performance in low-light environments. Short-Circuit Current (Isc)-6.24A
- Complete kit includes: (1)2 pc Renogy 100 watt 12 volt Mono-crystalline Solar panel (2) adventurer Li 30A PWM flush mount charge controller (3)one 30Ft 10AWG MC4 adaptor kit (4)one 16Ft 10AWG tray cable (5)one pair of branch connectors (6) a bt-1 Bluetooth module (7)one Renogy cable entry housing
For a complete kit with a variety of accessories such as an inverter system, the Go Power! Weekender SW Complete Solar and Inverter System is one of the best RV solar kits for your money. This complete starter pack includes everything you need to hook up a solar and inverter system and there is minimal maintenance required thanks to the simple and efficient design. It’s one of the best ways to take advantage of the sun as a green energy solution and is perfectly suitable for running things like your TV, headphones, and other AC appliances throughout your RV trip.
Going solar is something that a lot of people want to try because of the energy savings it proposes, but most people don’t understand that it can be prohibitively expensive to install massive solar panels and install all of the accessories and components required to utilize the energy. The Go Power! System gives people access to clean solar energy without needing to understanding too much about how it works and installation couldn’t be simpler.
In short, the Go Power! Weekender SW Complete Solar and Inverter System is a fantastic purchase for anyone looking to get started with using a green energy source to power their RV. It’s excellent for use on weekend trips (as indicated by the name) and it’s easy to set up without requiring too many extra components and pieces.
- Run your TV and other AC appliances anytime day or night without the noise of a generator
- No fuel, no maintenance and no noise
- Completely green power solution
- Great for power usage on weekend and long weekend trips
- Run your TV and other AC appliances anytime day or night without the noise of a generator
The WindyNation Complete 400 Watt Solar Panel Kit offers a much more complete solar solution than the other kits on this list. With four large panels and a full suite of connections, cables and accessories, it’s the perfect solar panel kit for RV owners that understand a bit about how to install electronics and wire them up correctly. This isn’t a kit that we can recommend if you don’t have someone to help you install it or if you don’t have much experience with this kind of installation.
The complete kit includes four 100-watt polycrystalline solar panels, a 30-amp P30L solar charge controller with an LCD display, solar cable and all necessary MC4 connectors. In addition, it comes with the mounting hardware to install the solar panels and even an inverter to make practical use of the power by plugging in your existing household devices. The panels themselves will provide around 1600 watt hours or 135 amp hours of charge each day depending on the amount of sunlight available and it’s designed for RVs, cabins and other small applications that are off the grid.
If you keep in mind that you may need to purchase a few extra accessories such as an ANL-250 fuse and also understand how to wire the kit up, then this can be the best RV solar kit for your money because of how many extras it comes with. Unfortunately, if you’re not entirely sure on how to wire electronics, then you may need some assistance. Luckily, the manufacturer does seem willing to give the user a hand if you contact them, but don’t expect them to walk you through with a step-by-step process with intricate details.
- Complete kit includes: (4pcs) 100 Watt Polycrystalline Solar Panel, 30-amp P30L Solar Charge Controller (w/ LCD Display and user adjustable settings), 40 feet of UL Listed 12 AWG Solar Cable, connectors for wiring, solar mounting hardware + 1500 Watt (3000 Watt surge) VertaMax DC to AC Power Inverter, 2 pcs of 2 AWG Battery Cables for connecting the inverter to a 12V battery
- Solar charging will provide on average 1600 Watt Hours (Wh) or 135 Amp hours of charge per day (depends on sunlight availability)
- Designed for RVs, cabins, homes, boats, back-up and remote power use
- Bundle and save! Purchase all the components together and save time and money!
- Perfect kit for a off-grid 12 volt battery system. 1500 Watt VertaMax Inverter provides plenty of AC power to run your household appliances!
For a simple and affordable RV solar option, the ACOPOWER 100W Portable Solar Panel Kit is a fantastic choice for those that value simplicity over customization. The battery and generator come ready with three choices for you; a built-in charge controller that makes it ready for a 12V battery, MC4 connectors designer for a solar generator or a 12V RV battery and solar generator simultaneously. The connectors make it easy to attach the solar panel to existing power generation solutions and it’s incredibly easy to set up. You can easily just connect the alligator clamps supplied to a battery and it’s good to go–nothing complicated involved.
It also allows for expansion thanks to the pre-installed 20A charge controller. An adapter is needed if you want to expand its functionality so it’s important to double-check all of the components required beforehand.
In short, this is one of the easiest RV solar kits to use and it’s also incredibly portable, making it suitable for a variety of different use cases. If you’re looking for the best RV solar kit and value ease of use, then the ACOPOWER 100W Portable Solar Panel Kit should be your go-to choice for its simplicity. However, don’t overlook its expandability if you’re searching for an RV solar kit solution that can be improved on in the future once you gain a little more experience with solar kits in general.
- Battery and Generator Ready with three choices: ONE – build-in charge controller makes it ready for 12V battery; TWO -MC-4 connector design for a solar generator; THREE -charge 12V RV battery and solar generator simultaneously
- Portable: two 50 watts solar panels attached in pairs for portability. Case design facilitates transportation and helps keep solar panel safe when storing
- Waterproof: the kit is IP67 waterproof ( IP67 means that it can work in the water), outdoor durability balances portability with solid frame build; 20A waterproof charge controller on the back
- Easy Set-up: pre-installed stand allows for easy and quick set-up. MC-4 connectors or Anderson plug allow easy installation to RV / camper / trailer battery unit. For pre-wired RV or camper, please contact ACOPOWER for adapters – Furrion and SAE Zamp solar
- Expansible: 20A charge controller pre-installed allows an expansion for totally 200W solar system. An adapter is needed for the expansion, check the portable 200W solar system, please search acopower 200w portable; to build it yourself, please contact ACOPOWER
The HQST 100 Watts Solar Panel Kit is designed specifically for use in RVs as a solar kit and the included accessories show. It’s perfect for off-grid use and provides quiet power production which is great for anyone concerned about the noise a generator can produce. It comes with a 100W 12V monocrystalline solar panel and also a 20A MPPT charge controller. It also comes with the mounting brackets necessary to install all the components and also a pair of adaptor cables. In terms of included accessories, there’s everything you need.
If you’re just looking to keep the batteries in your RV charged then this is a great solution. It’s inexpensive and considerably easier to install than some of the more advanced kits out there, meaning you will have enough funds left over to invest in other equipment for your RV, like a cover, navigation system, or quality mattress.
It may take around a day to install, but it’s far cheaper than asking a retailer to install it for you because they can charge ludicrous prices that make it a horrible deal for the consumer. If you’re willing to put in a little work and install the kit yourself, then this is a far cheaper solution that works just as well.
To conclude, the HQST 100 Watts Solar Panel Kit may take a little time to install especially if you’re not accustomed to wiring solar panel kits, but in terms of price to performance, features and also ease of use, it’s one of the best RV solar kits that you can invest in today. While it might seem daunting attempting to install it, the included instructions will help you get started with its simple diagrams and instructions that walk you through every step.
- The kit includes 1 pack 100 Watt 12 Volt Polycrystalline Solar Panel, 20 Amp 12V/24V MPPT Solar Charge Controller, 20Ft 12AWG Solar Panel and Controller Connector Cables, 1 Set of Mounting Z Brackets
- Used in various off-grid applications that include 12 volts arrays, water pumping systems, signaling systems and other off-grid applications. Great for off-grid applications, such as RVs, trailers, boats, sheds, and cabins.
- HQST 100W polycrystalline compact design 35.6x25.9x1.2in high module conversion efficiency. Bypass diodes minimize power drop caused by shade and ensure excellent performance in low-light environments. Pre-drilled holes on the back of the panel allow for fast mounting and securing. IP65 rated junction box provides complete protection against environmental particles and low pressure water jets.
- HQST 20A 12/24V MPPT solar charge controller is compatible with Sealed, Gel, Flooded, Lithium, User Defined Batteries.
- HQST provides complete after-sales service, including 25-year power output warranty, 5-year material and workmanship warranty and easy-to-reach customer support.
If you’re looking for a renewable power supply, the Renogy Solar Starter Kit is a great way to get started. While it’s not going to be sufficient to provide a realistic alternative to electricity in a home or work environment, it’s perfect for off-grid use. As a power supply for boats, RVs, campervans, trailers or sheds, it’s ideal.
The 50Ah battery will go from half charged to fully charged in around 3 hours, although this does depend on the amount of sunlight available. If you want to use solar power in typically colder climates, this may not provide sufficient power for your needs. If you live in an area that receives a lot of sunlight year-round, however, it can provide an output of 500Wh per day.
Some users may find the lack of Bluetooth control disappointing but, as an entry-level solar kit, this is to be expected. Although the Renogy 100 Watts 12 Volts Monocrystalline Solar Starter Kit isn’t the most advanced option on the market, it does work exceptionally well. In fact, the vast majority of users have found the kit to be functional and effective across a range of environments. When you’re traveling in remote areas or off-grid, reliability is essential, so this is certainly a major advantage.
If you’re relying on solar power regularly, you may want the added functionality of a more advanced or powerful system. For ad hoc adventures or short trips, however, the Renogy Solar Starter Kit is a fantastic option.
- Includes 100W Solar Panel + 30A PWM Negative ground Charge Controller + MC4 Connectors +8Ft 10AWG Tray Cable+ Mounting Z Brackets for RV, Boat
- Monocrystalline solar cell efficiency: 21%；The Charge controller has been upgraded to Renogy new 30A PWM negative ground charge controller The Renogy wanderer
- With the Renogy wanderer 30A PWM charge Controller, you can expand your system up to a maximum of 400W
- Ideal output: 500Wh per day; can fully charge a 50Ah Battery from 50% in 3 hours (depending on the availability of sunlight)
- Negative Grounding controller with battery reversed, overloading, short-circuit and over charging/discharging protection ensures the broader off grid applications and safety. Especially can be used on a vehicle which has battery negative on the chassis. Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 5. 29A
Easy to use and quick to set up, the SOLPERK 20W Solar Panel Kit is designed for vehicles, RVs, bikes, campervans, quad bikes, and even jet skis. With the ability to turn sunlight into electrical power when you’re on the go, it’s perfect for outdoor sports equipment or camping.
The panel will charge most efficiently when it’s in direct sunlight, so the adjustable frame makes it easy to optimize the amount of electricity that’s produced. By changing the angle to capture the most sunlight, you can speed up charging times and generate the most amount of power. A particular advantage of the SOLPERK Solar Panel Kit is the option to trickle charge your device. This enables you to maintain a full charge at all times, providing you are exposed to enough sunlight.
In addition to chip intelligent management charging, the kit features a number of safety devices to give you confidence and peace of mind. Overcharge protection, reverse protection, and short circuit protection are just three of the in-built safety features on offer. For new users, these safety features provide reassurance and ensure the SOLPERK kit is easy to use in any environment.
Although the panel isn’t waterproof, it is wind and rainproof, which means you won’t need to remove it if you’re struck by bad weather. This, combined with its durability and ease of use, makes the SOLPER 20W Solar Panel Kit is a good option for anyone who wants to generate power when they’re off the grid.
- 💡[High-efficiency solar panel] Solar battery charger is to convert sunlight into electric energy and charges the battery. The more the sunlight is, the higher the charging efficiency is. The charger will generate current to trickle charge the battery that prevent the loss current of the battery in storage or standby process.
- 💡[Charger and Maintenance Device] This product is a solar battery charger and maintainer. It can safely charge and maintain Various 12V batteries such as Wet, Gel, MF, EFB and AGM. In addition, it is also suitable for any car, motorcycle, ship, tractor, RV, Powersports, snowmobiles, trucks, shed, cabin, gate opener, etc.
- 💡[Full-automatic intelligent charging and maintenance Controller] Intelligent three-level charging mode, chip intelligent management charging and complete protection of battery, short circuit protection, open circuit protection, reverse protection, overload protection, under voltage protection, over charge protection to improve system efficiency and extend battery life .
- 💡[Easy to install and angle adjustable] The product is equipped with a bracket that adjusts the mounting angle for better sunlight reception. The product is light and easy to install for inexperienced people. The interfaces are plug-and-play. The kit needs no extra maintenance, no electricity. It’s energy conservation and environmental protection.
- 💡[More durable] Weatherproof Solar panels applies g a more durable aluminum alloy frame. It's windproof and rainproof, but it can't be immersed in water. Extended 12 months warranty + Lifetime technical support.
Recommended RV Solar kit Accessories
RV Battery Charger/Converter
- 4-stage battery charging
- Great for battery banks with up to 6 batteries
- UL listed
- Compact design to fit in small spaces
- Includes 15 ampere male plug for easy installation
How To Calculate Your RVs Solar Needs
Here is a great YouTube video explaining how to calculate how much solar power you need to power your recreational vehicle: