The Top 5 RV Antennas Reviewed
RVs are a fantastic way to experience the great outdoors and go on adventures that otherwise wouldn’t be possible holed up at home.
However, that’s not to say that home comforts aren’t a good thing. After all, the internet and television are both very useful and entertaining technologies, and most modern-day RVs have support for both making them all-around excellent recreational experiences.
However, every now and then we might be in an area where our RV antenna isn’t working correctly, thus making our TV experience hard to stomach. Whether it’s fuzzy pictures or simply no reception, missing out on the latest sporting and news updates can be quite a problem.
In cases like this, you can purchase a completely new TV antenna that offers better reception, a clearer picture and more durability so that it doesn’t get damaged by weather and general wear and tear.
In this article, we’re going to offer you five of the best RV antennas that can replace your existing one.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best RV Antenna is the Winegard Pathway X2 PA6002R.
Best RV Antennas
The RV accessory market is a crowded one, and there are a lot of different products available. Although a new antenna is a less expensive upgrade than many others (like a new solar kit or navigation system), it still makes sense to do a little research before spending money out of your travel budget. To help you locate the right antenna for your needs we compared the specs of many of the top units, and also took owner reviews into account. From that research we came up with our list of the top recreational vehicle antennas:
The Winegard Pathway X2 PA6002R is a high-quality RV antenna that offers dual arc technology so that it can receive both Western and Eastern arcs for maximum SD/HD DISH programming regardless of your location and the weather conditions. It’s also optimized for use with two televisions and receives programming from satellite 72.7 when it’s connected to two receivers. This means it’s perfect for larger RVs where you might have more than a single television, such as one in the main room and one in a bedroom. If you are looking forward to kicking back on your mattress and watching TV with great reception, then this unit may be your best bet.
One of the best things about the Winegard Pathway X2 PA6002R is how it’s a hundred percent automatic. You simply set the state and the antenna does the rest. It’s powered through coax and it doesn’t require several wires; just a single cable is enough and it won’t require any special batteries. It also includes a DISH Wally HD receiver, a single tuner, RF remote with a finder and built-in apps such as Netflix.
While the Winegard Pathway X2 PA6002R may seem a touch on the heavy side, it’s a lot more sturdy and durable than other antennas on the market and offers a clear reception. As opposed to the antennas you might be used to using in the past, this one is far higher in quality and is built with quality in mind, hence the price tag. So if you’re looking for a crystal clear signal and a durable antenna that can survive even harsh weather, this is one of the best RV antennas available and will not let you down.
- Dual Arc technology receives both Western and Eastern arcs for maximum SD/HD DISH programming throughout the US in all weather conditions
- Optimized for 2 TV seamless viewing, receives programming from satellite 72.7 when connected to 2 receivers
- Receives standard and high definition DISH programming and is compatible with DISH pay-as-you-go programming
- 100% automatic, set your state and the X2 will do the rest! Powered through the coax, just one wire with no power cable needed
- Includes DISH Wally HD receiver, Single Tuner, RF Remote with Remote Finder, Built in Apps (Netflix)
The Winegard PL-7000 is a smaller and more affordable version of the Winegard Pathway X2 PA6002R above. It’s a portable satellite with a high-strength military grade aluminum alloy reflector that boosts signal strength and there’s an option for an optional RV roof mount which is great if you’re looking to install this as a permanent fixture on your RV (just keep in mind it may affect how your RV cover fits). It works exclusively with DISH HD solo satellite receiver technology and is also compatible with DISH Pay-As-You-Go which is great if you only plan to use this RV antenna for a limited amount of time each year.
The Winegard PL-7000 is very easy to set up, requiring only a couple of minutes of your time once you’ve picked a suitable location for it. It’s very easy to use the portable antenna and it’s also incredibly lightweight compared to other offerings on the market. It automatically searches for HD satellite orbital locations which makes it simple for you to catch up on the latest news and events even if you’re off the grid. The package includes all of the cables and accessories you need to set the antenna up and it comes with straightforward instructions.
The sleek and compact design of the Winegard PL-7000 is arguably one of the best selling points. Overall, it’s a high-quality RV antenna that doesn’t compromise on any features and comes at a very affordable price tag. In addition, Winegard has been known to provide excellent customer support, even going as far to stay on the phone for over an hour with customers to ensure that they can fix the problem with their devices. In short, this is one of the best RV antennas you could invest in.
- DISH Playmaker portable satellite antenna featuring a larger high-strength military grade aluminum alloy reflector for improved signal strength, optional RV roof mount and updated sleek design.
- Works exclusively with DISH HD solo satellite receiver technology. Compatible with DISH Pay-As-You-Go, pay only for the months you need, or add to home DISH satellite service
- Easy setup portable antenna; powered by single coax connection through dish receiver; easy to use and lightweight RV portable satellite dish.
- Satellite dish automatically finds dish HD satellite orbital locations making it easy to watch your favorite TV shows in the RV.
- Optional RK-4000 (not included) roof kit allows you to mount the dish playmaker satellite antenna to your RV's roof making it easy to store and always ready to use.
If you’re looking for a premium antenna then the KING VQ4100 Quest is a fantastic option that offers DIRECTV SD programming and has the option of adding a controller accessory to make it compatible with DISH HD and BELL TV services. It can either be used as a portable container or it can be mounted to the roof of your RV with the included mounting feet, a nice bonus for those that are looking for a permanent solution. It also supports multiple TV viewing and acquiring the satellite channels is completely automatic, making it incredibly easy to use.
The KING VQ4100 Quest is ultimately a very portable antenna which packs a lot of features and has a strong signal strength thanks to the materials used and KING’s engineering efforts. However, it’s important to look at which antenna you’ll need because the VQ4100 is only compatible with SD and requires extra accessories to make it compatible with HD and SD. Luckily, there are other antennas in KING’s range that are similar to the VQ4100 but have support for more receivers or HD, so if you’re looking for an even more comprehensive option, you’ll need to check out other KING products.
However, for simple and interrupted TV viewing, the KING VQ4100 Quest is a great option at a fair price tag. It’s portable, it’s easy to set up and it offers clear TV viewing even when you’re off the grid and in harsh weather conditions. It’s clearly one of the best RV antennas on offer right now and a certain recommendation from us.
- Portable satellite TV antenna for DIRECTV service, not compatible with SWM only receivers. The KING Quest antenna works with DIRECTV SD programming with the option of adding a controller accessory (purchased separately) to make the system compatible with DISH HD and BELL TV services as well.
- Use as either portable antenna or roof mounted (mounting feet included)
- DIRECTV H & HR receivers under 25 (Example: H24) are compatible with the KING Quest, as well as D10, D11 and D12 receivers. Not compatible with SWM-only receivers (such as model H25 and HR25)
- Supports multiple TV viewing,Fully automatic satellite acquisition
- Powered over coaxial cable with no external power supply needed;includes 50' coax cable and power injector
The Winegard RVW-395 Sensar is the first antenna on this list that looks more like a traditional antenna that you would’ve expected to see on an RV a few years ago, but don’t let its appearance put you off as this antenna packs a lot of features into its small frame. It can receive digital TV signals, receives all VHF and UHF programming in a 55 mile radius and can even receive both SD and HD local over the air television broadcast channels. It’s coated in a durable powder paint for extra durability and looks surprisingly good when mounted on top of an RV.
All the necessary components are included inside the box such as coax cables and mounting hardware so no extra parts are needed. In addition, it comes with 2-years parts warranty and 1 year of labour, making it a surprisingly complete package for the affordable price. Whether you’re buying this as a replacement for a broken antenna or as an upgrade to your existing one, it’s a fantastic option if you want clear SD and HD channels on your TV while you’re out with your RV.
As far as off-grid RV antennas go, the Winegard RVW-395 Sensar is a brilliant option that is easy to install and a fantastic value for the money. The choice of channels available is surprisingly large and the ease of installation makes it a great choice for anyone that just wants a simple plug-and-play solution with no complicated setup or mounting required.
- Enhanced antenna exceeds at receiving digital TV signals
- Receives all VHF and UHF programming available within 55 mile radius
- Receives SD and HD local over the air television broadcast channels (ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX plus many more sub channels not offered by satellite)
- Powder coated for long lasting durability
5. KING OA8300
Perhaps the most interestingly-designed RV antenna on this list is the KING OA8300. It’s a different shape to the other items on this list and still provides excellent signal boosting in a simple package. It fits within five minutes and helps to extend the range of signal acquisition so you get more channels in your RV. It comes with universal mounting brackets for RV use and is incredibly affordable.
One of the biggest draws to the KING OA8300 antenna is the fact that it’s so affordable and compatible with HD channels. It offers free HDTV wherever you are and eliminates the monthly bills that are typically associated with expensive high-end antennas. It installs in minutes, comes with everything needed in the box and even comes with a one-year parts warranty to give you peace of mind. It’s also a sturdy antenna that will continue to provide a strong signal to acquire channels even during harsh weather conditions like strong winds, making it suitable for all-year RV use. There are also several variations of the KING OA8300; one is the antenna on its own, one includes the mount and one includes the mount and signal finder.
In short, the KING OA8300 is an affordable and simple-to-use RV antenna, making it arguably one of the best RV antennas out there. For the price, there are few upgrades that are worth the price considering how readily available this one is. There’s nothing on the market that can hope to match the QA8300 in terms of price and usability and it looks fantastic when mounted. This is certainly an antenna that will last a long time and continue to offer you unbeatable value.
- Long-range signal acquisition gets more channels
- Simple, five-minute retrofit upgrades batwing antenna to digital HD
- Upgraded technology enhances UHF signal reception while still receiving remaining VHF broadcast channels
- Broader reception coverage quickly locates strongest signal and maximizes reception
- Universal mounting brackets for RV and home use; AC to DC power supply included for home use
Recommended RV Antenna Accessories
RV Satelite Antenna Tripod Mount
- Compatible with all Winegard Carryout, Pathway and DISH Playmaker portable satellite antennas. Cross functional mount for maximum versatility.
- Adjustable Height and Level - Adjusts from 14.5" to 22". Quickly disassembles for compact storage.
- Built Tough - Built to withstand the harsh outdoor environments. Easy assembly with sturdy mount including ground anchor and bungee. 2 years parts, 1 year labor warranty.
- Protect Your Antenna - Makes usage easier while also raising and protecting your satellite antenna from damage and theft using the anchor loop.
- Winegard Antenna Experts - Leading US designer and manufacturer of quality TV antenna and signal reception equipment since 1954. Designed and built in the U.S.A.
- SOLID CONDUCTOR Quad Shield 3Ghz 75 Ohm Coax Cable for (CATV, Satellite TV, & Broadband/High Speed Internet) swept tested 5MHz-3GHz
- Cable Construction: 18AWG CONDUCTOR, QUAD SHIELD- Jacket: UV Resistant PVC - Braids: 34 Awg Aluminum Alloy (60% & 40%) Coverage - Foil Shields: Aluminum (100% Coverage) with 18% Overlap - Dielectric: Gas Injected Foam PE
- Connectors: O-ring WEATHER SEAL constructed with all BRASS compression connectors (PCT TRS-6LMG)
- Assembled in the USA by professionals at PHAT SATELLITE INTL 8 facilities across the USA
- PLEASE SEE OTHER HIGH QUALITY PROFESSIONAL CABLES AVAILABLE FROM PHAT SATELLITE INTL
RV TV Antenna Options
Here is a great video showing some of the different Antenna options for recreational vehicles: