The Top 5 Portable Grills Reviewed
With summer about to really kick off, you’re probably looking at your old grill and wanting something a little better. It could be a good idea to opt for a portable grill that you can take with you. That way, you can use it in your back garden, when you go camping or to any other type of gathering you might be planning on attending this summer. It’s amazing how much you can cook with a high-quality portable grill too.
But before you make your purchase, you need to think about which portable grill is actually going to be the best one for you. There are lots of options on the market and each of them brings its own range of features and benefits. To help you make your final decisions, we’re going to go over the best options and discuss which features and benefits really make them stand out from the crowd.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Portable Grill is the Cuisinart CGG-180.
The Best Portable Grills
This grill offers the portability that you’re looking for and it packs up nicely into an easy to carry case with an ergonomic handle. All in all, it’s about as easy to use as you could expect it to be. It’s certainly small, but this is what lots of people are looking for when the time comes to invest in a new portable grill. It’s particularly good for camping thanks to its portability.
The Cuisinart CGG-180 comes with a built-in stand that tucks away and can be pulled out when you need it. This allows it to be small and compact when that’s what you require, but can also be functional as a standing grill when that’s what you’re looking for.
Very Easy to Assemble and Use
It’s very easy to assemble and start using the grill; there’s really nothing to it. You can fold it out or pack it away in a matter of seconds. And the integrated lid lock can be closed securely so you don’t have to worry about it coming open.
Straightforward Heat Control
The heat control is very easy to use as well. You don’t need to worry about complicated gauges that you don’t understand. You just twist the control whichever way you need depending on whether you want to raise or lower the heat.
Light and Easy to Carry
It’s very light and easy to carry once it’s all folded away. That’s exactly what most people want from a portable grill such as this one.
- 160-SQUARE-INCH PORCELAIN ENAMELED COOKING GRATE: 160-square-inches of porcelain enameled grates give you a spacious cooking surface is able accommodate lots of food at one time while still distributing heat evenly and efficiently.
- 5,500 BTU BURNER: Features a 5,500 BTU burner, a twist to start electric ignition and precision temperature gauge to give you the ultimate temperature control.
- COMPACT ENOUGH TO TAKE ANYWHERE: The grill measures 19 x 11.5 x 10 inches and with stand. The grill weighs only 17 lbs., making it easy for transport and ideal for decks, patios and balconies, camping, tailgating and more.
- USE AS A FREESTANDING OR TABLETOP GRILL: Unique design that allows you to use the grill as a freestanding or tabletop grill Accommodates from 4 to 6 people at once; holds grill at ideal cooking height and telescoping stand
- FAST AND EASY SETUP AND BREAKDOWN: Stand sets up and packs away in seconds, and features an integrated lid lock and pronounced briefcase-style carrying handle for easy and secure transport.
The Coleman RoadTrip 285 is a little heavier than some of the other portable grills mentioned on this list, and that might be one thing that puts some people off, but it really shouldn’t. Most people will be able to carry it and that extra weight comes with its own benefits, such as the durability. It’s not made of plastic and it’s not liable to break when it takes a few knocks.
Built to be Durable
It’s clear that the Coleman RoadTrip 285 has been built to last. It even has two very strong side tables that can be used for serving food onto plates from the grill. All in all, it’s well-built and highly durable, so it should function well for you for a long time to come.
Stand with Wheels
The stand that comes as standard with the Coleman RoadTrip 285 has wheels attached to two of the legs. This makes it even easier to move this lightweight portable grill when you need to. You’ll have no trouble getting it to where you need it to be.
Big Surface for Cooking
For a portable grill, the Coleman RoadTrip 285 has a surprisingly large cooking surface area for you to make use of once you fire it up. There’s 285 square inches in total, meaning you’ll have more than enough space for cooking while camping or at small gatherings.
Connect to Your RV’s Propane
If you are using this as a camping grill, you’ll be pleased to learn that it’s easy to hook it up to your RV’s propane. By fuelling it that way, it makes your life even easier and generally makes the grill easier to use in camping situations.
- Up to 20,000 BTUs of grilling power and 285 sq. in. of cooking area
- Now with 3 independently adjustable burners for enhanced temperature control
- Water pan catches cooking grease and is removable for easy cleaning
- 2 durable side tables for resting utensils and sauces; integrated thermometer for accurate temperature monitoring
- InstaStart ignition for push-button, matchless lighting
The first thing that you’ll notice about the Smoke Hollow 205 is the way in which the design is so standout. It looks great and that’s not all. It’s also a very durable and reliable portable grill and it can do all of the things that most people expect. There’s plenty of space on the grill for your food with a top rack offering extra grilling space when it’s in use.
Attractive Stainless Steel Design
As we’ve already mentioned, the looks of the Smoke Hollow 205 are impossible to ignore. If you want something that looks high-end and robust there’s really no better option than this grill. It looks clean, elegant and aesthetically pleasing thanks to the stainless steel design.
Easy to Use Wherever You Are
It’s easy to use the Smoke Hollow 205 wherever you are. You simply open it up and start grilling and there’s not much more to it than that. It has a handle that makes it easy to carry if you’re taking it with you to a picnic, gathering or when you go camping.
Very Hot for All Kinds of Cooking
Many users note how hot the Smoke Hollow 205 can get when it’s in use and this can be a very good thing when it comes to cooking things thoroughly. With lesser portable grills, reaching high temperatures can be a real struggle but you won’t have to worry about that with the Smoke Hollow 205.
Solid and Reliable
It’s a solidly designed and constructed portable grill, offering you the reliability and durability you come to expect from high-end products. It’s not the kind of grill that’s going to let you down or break after using it a few times, that’s for sure.
- 205 sq. in. primary stainless steel cooking area 105 sq. in. chrome-plated warming rack
- 10,000 BTU stainless steel "U" burner
- Fold-able stainless steel legs; Uses 16oz. disposable cylinder
- Stainless steel drip tray; Temperature gauge
- Assembled Size: 19 L x 32 W x 33.5 H inches
The Coleman Sportster is a propane grill with a lot to offer. It’s easy to move around and offers a surprising amount of grill space once you start to use it. It has the ability to remain compact when you need it to be, but it also has a great stand that makes it functional when you’re camping or at a picnic.
Wheels for Easy Transportation
The collapsible stand of the Coleman Sportster is wheels at the bottom, meaning you can pull it behind you if you don’t want to carry the load with you when you’re on the go. It’s a simple thing that makes transporting the grill even easier than it might otherwise be.
It’s also a grill that users note as being very easy to clean. The steel grates are coated with porcelain and they can be removed when the time comes for you to clean them. Both of those two features make the grill easier to clean, which is never a bad thing.
Removable Drip Tray
The drip tray is also fully removable, making using and cleaning the grill much simpler. The fact that all of these parts can be taken out goes to show that the Coleman Sportster has been designed with use in mind and that’s always good for owners.
Functional and Easy to Use
The grill is generally very functional and easy to use. You certainly don’t need to be any kind of grilling master in order to use the grill well and get the most out of it. That’s something that should definitely be taken into account if this is to be your first portable grill.
- Insta start Ignition for push-button, matchless lighting
- 11, 000 total BTUs of cooking power
- Spacious 225 sq. In. Cooking area
- Lift and lock system for easy and secure setup
- Collapsible stand with wheels folds for compact storage and easy transport
The Weber 10020 Smokey Joe retains heat really well and can pack a lot of cooking power into a small and portable design. It’s lightweight but durable thanks to the high-quality materials used in its construction. There’s a lot of space on offer and it’s ideal for all of your on-the-go grilling needs. There’s a lot to like about the Smokey Joe and you can find out more about its benefits below.
There’s nothing particularly complicated or fussy about the design of the Weber 10020 Smokey Joe. Instead, it’s a grill that does the job and does it well. It has a porcelain-enameled lid and the handle on top makes it easy to carry. The bowl-shaped design is simple but looks great.
It’s very durable and that’s something that matters a lot when you’re going to be moving it from place to place and using it a lot during the summer. The strong materials used means you really on it and the steep cooking grate is one example of that. It won’t let you down.
Portable with a Large Enough Grilling Area
Despite its durability, it’s still very portable and easy to move around and that’s obviously a big benefit with a product like this. At the same time, the grilling area offered by the Weber 10020 Smokey Joe is actually pretty large. They claim it can hold 5 burgers at a time.
The dampers on this grill allow you to control the temperature which is a nice feature. What’s even nicer is that the aluminium used to make them is completely rust-resistant, meaning you’ll have one less thing to worry about when it comes to maintaining the grill.
- Holds up to five burgers made with a Weber burger press
- Compact and lightweight for grilling on the go
- Porcelain-enameled lid and bowl retain heat, and won’t rust or peel
- Dampers allow you to easily control the temperature inside your grill
- Durable plated steel cooking grate retains heat and is easy to clean. Dimensions - Lid closed 17 H x 14.2 W x 14.5 D inches
The features that are most important to you will depend on your needs and requirements. This guide should help you understand what each of the best portable grills on the market are able to offer. And you can then decide which of them will represent the best value for you and your family.
Gas Vs. Charcoal Grills
Here is a great YouTube video going over the pros and cons of gas and charcoal grills: