The Top 5 Patio Heaters Reviewed
Patio heaters are there to heat up large outside areas quickly. To do this, they need to be able to burn a fuel such as gas or propane. Some patio heaters heat up an element by converting electricity to heat. This heat is then generated into the surrounding area and keeps everyone warm. The best patio heater is one that makes your guests and you comfortable while you enjoy time outside.
A patio heater is the perfect solution for those who want to spend time outdoors and heat their outdoor area. Some people use them for their business, with bars and restaurants especially buying in patio heaters for patrons who like to stay outside when they eat or drink. Patio heaters offer more when it comes to power options, and they’re a portable solution for warmth outdoors. For indoor areas or smaller spaces, you may also want to consider a kerosene heater.
Alongside the fuel options and portability, patio heaters come in all different shapes and sizes. You can choose to have standing patio heaters, or you could go for wall-mounted options. Patio heaters give you the freedom to enjoy your outdoor space as long as you like, as you’re not going to feel the chill in the air when you are able to stay warm when you are looking at the stars.
With a huge range to choose from, we’ve got the scoop on the top five best patio heaters on the market today.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best patio heater is the Fire Sense Hammer Tone Bronze Patio Heater.
Best Patio Heaters
As you are searching for a heater for your outdoor patio space, you need to find one that will be powerful enough to heat the area you are sitting in. For this, you need to make sure that it has enough BTU (British Thermal Unit) to get the job done. The Fire Sense Hammer Tone Bronze Patio Heater is one that has a BTU of 46,000. This is enough to heat around 9ft in diameter. If your outdoor space is more significant than that, then you may need to invest in more than one patio heater.
The Fire Sense uses propane as its fuel, which means that you need to invest in a 20lb tank to use with it. It sips the fuel, and running it for four hours without stopping on a medium heat will still leave you with hours of use. This patio heater stands at around 7 feet in height when it’s fully assembled, and while it’s stainless steel, you mustn’t leave it out in the weather just because – it will still get rusty!
Pros & Cons
- Easy to assemble, even though it doesn’t look it at first!
- Excellent heat intensity at a range
- Easy ignition as it has auto-ignition
- Uses stainless steel
- You need to pay a little more to get a cover for it if you want it to stay outside
- This outdoor patio heater is made using heavy duty commercial grade steel.
- This copper finish patio heater features wheels for easy portability.
- The portable heater makes use of a standard 20 pound LPG propane tank.
- You can turn on this patio heater in an instant with the push of a button.
- This outdoor heater is perfect for your porch or any other outdoor venue.
With this patio heater, you get a Quartz glass tube with a base ensuring the maximum possible stability. It doesn’t come with a fuel tank, but it is designed to have one at the bottom so that you can purchase it separately. There’s a small door in which you can place a 20lb tank, so it’s a patio heater that has made enough provisions for it to be the case. Most patio heaters have automatic ignition, and the Golden Flame is no difference. When you turn it on, it burns with a golden flame inside the cage.
The actual flame itself is powerful, with 40,000 BTU and there is a flame adjustment feature which means that you can use the heater in a variety of conditions.
One of the best things about this patio heater is that you can assemble it simply. The Golden Flame Patio Heater is one that only requires the basic home tools to put it together. There is a guide that comes with this heater, and this will help to guide you with putting it together.
Pros & Cons
- There is an auto-tilt shutoff feature, which improves the safety of the heater itself
- The heater is adjustable by height, and this makes it easier for the user
- The instructions are easy to read for quick assembly
- This heater has an ideal price
- Control features are effective with heat as a surplus
- Not particularly stable in the base, which makes it precarious
- New 2019 (XL-Series) Feature** Advanced "Pilotless" Burner system (No standing Pilot Flame)
- New 2019 (XL-Series) Feature** Easy Start "Rapid-Spark" electronic ignition system
- New 2019 (XL-Series) Feature** Bottom Sand Resevior (Adds 25 lbs to Heater Base) Sand NOT included
- 46,000 BTU's with SS Burners & Double Mantel Heating Grids
- Attractive Hammered Silver/Pewter (Matte Finish) w/Mobility Wheels
To fuel this heater for ten hours, you need a 20lb propane or butane tank at the highest setting. The AZ Patio Heater has the durability of two types of fuel, and this means that its easy to get the lamp to function. As the lamp itself is a pyramid shape, it has better base stability against harsher conditions. It’s always better to have a square base if you’re worried about a patio heater blowing over in your back yard. There is an auto-tilt switch off – just in case, it does start to fall to the ground! This AZ Patio Heater has a bronze finish and stands at 87 inches high.
The base has wheels, too, which makes it much easier to maintain and clean it. The patio heater itself sits in an average price range for something that has such high-grade features. The Quartz glass tube is one of the many features of this patio heater, but the one difference with this patio heater is that it isn’t the same as all the other heaters with an auto-ignition. The AZ Patio Heater nods toward tradition with its ignition, and the coverage area once lit is around three to five feet. This depends on how cold it is at the time.
Pros & Cons
- This heater comes with a warranty of one year
- The inner glass tube is replaceable and can be bought via the manufacturer
- There are wheels on the base to make transportation easy
- Easy and durable
- With using propane gas, there is a marked reduction in CO emissions
- The manual ignition is the only real problem, as many prefer auto-ignition.
The Sunjoy Lawrence patio heater has a production of up to 47,000 BTU and runs on a 20lb propane tank that doesn’t come with the heater. You need to make sure that when you purchase your new heater, you pay for the propane tank, too. The actual heat output of this model is excellent, and you’ll feel it for a good few feet away. Overall, the performance of the Sunjoy Lawrence is excellent, and the patio heater itself keeps the area warm in cold weather without any issues. There is a quality iron base, and the head of the patio heater is made with stainless steel. It’s always better to buy a cover with this one, as the stainless steel can and will rust!
The bronze hammer finish to this patio heater is beautiful to look at, and it looks fantastic in the outdoor space. It stands at 7’2”, so you know you are buying a heater that is impressive in any space. There is a safety shut off valve, too, in case it tips over, and this can happen when it’s windy. So, if there is a strong wind forecasted, the best thing that you can do is to bolt it down.
Pros & Cons
- Easy assembly when you get through the instructions
- Impressive for the price
- Excellent safety features
- Improves the look of your patio
- The assembly can take an hour or so
- Has the potential to tip over in the wind
- Wheels included for easy transport and mobility
- Crafted with stainless-steel double-layer protective head and a premium quality iron base
- Sleek and stylish bronze hammered finish
- Lights easily with valve knob & ignition button
- Dimension: 31.9” L x 31.9” W x 87” H
Those on a limited budget will see the value of the AmazonBasics Commercial Outdoor Patio Heater. This is one that is perfect for bar areas, pubs, restaurants and any food trucks that want to ensure that their customers remain warm while they eat. The construction is durable, while the bronze finish is resistant in extreme temperatures. There is a heat output of 46,000 BTU, which is perfect in chilly weather and as it heats a space of 1840 square feet, it’s impressive given it’s on the lower end of the pricing scale.
There is wheeled construction, which is excellent for remaining portable, and many customers appreciate the ability to do this. The ignition is – thankfully – one that only starts with one switch, so it’s easy to use. The AmazonBasics patio provides an adequate substitute for firewood, and it has a quiet operation which is perfect to be able to enjoy conversation outdoors. The only real downside to this heater is that the heater might give you some trouble during assembly. However, once you get the hang of it, you can really see the value of this AmazonBasics patio heater. The pyramid shape of the heater makes it lovely to look at, and so even when it’s not lit up, it’s well-suited to your garden.
Pros & Cons
- Excellently priced
- Good decor option for the garden
- On wheels for good portability
- Can take an hour to put together
- Instructions aren’t very detailed
- Not simple to assemble
- Doesn’t produce much heat
- Durable, powder-coated finish
- Heat output of 46,000 BTU's
- Piezo ignition
- Safety auto shut-off tilt valve
- Wheel assembly included
How To Choose The Best Outdoor Patio Heater
This video does a great job of explaining what you need to know before purchasing a patio heater for your outdoor space:
For indoor spaces that need to be warmed up, check out our list of great space heaters.