The Top 5 Motorcycle Helmet Cameras
These days, it is imperative that all motorcycle riders now have a helmet cameras. These are small cameras that can be attached to either the side or top of a helmet, and are now increasingly popular with both cyclists and motorbikers alike.
There are various reasons why these cameras are proving to be very popular, but one of the biggest reasons has to be for safety. These cameras have been shown to keep riders safe from other potentially dangerous road users. When a road traffic accident occurs that includes a motorbike, it is the rider who is often blamed even if a car driver was at fault. Thankfully, these situations are now becoming a lot less common now that the footage filmed on the camera can easily show which of the road users was really at fault. This video footage has proved to be so helpful in deciding who was at fault, that now many police teams will ask for the motorcycle rider who was involved to submit it to them.
This video footage can also help when it comes to insurance premiums. Insurance for motorbikes and their riders can often be very expensive as these bikes are usually considered as unsafe on the road. However, nowadays many insurance providers often offer lower premiums to riders who have cameras attached to their helmets. This is all to do with the evidence that it can provide insurance companies when they are figuring out any claims.
There are also some rather fun aspects of riding a motorcycle with a camera attached to the helmet. You will be able to record some of your favorite routes and can watch them back. It also gives you the chance to share your favorite routes with your friends who are into motorcycling. You might even find that rewatching yourself riding out on the roads gives you a great chance to improve your skills as well. When watching yourself, you’ll be able to see any errors that you made when trying to pass other vehicles and hazards, for example. You will then have a better idea of how best to approach these kinds of situations when you are next out on your bike.
So, it really is worth investing in a helmet camera if you haven’t done so already. You can then reap all of the benefits mentioned above. If you haven’t yet purchased such a device, you might not really be sure about what exactly you need to look into when trying to find the best helmet camera. Don’t worry; this is where this blog post comes in. Read on to find out what we think about some of the current helmet cameras that are out on the market.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best motorcycle helmet camera is the GoPro HERO7.
Best Motorcycle Helmet Cameras
1. GoPro HERO7
Even if you don’t know much about helmet cameras, you will no doubt have already heard about GoPro. They are one of, if not the, biggest makers or dashcams, helmet cameras, and other types of action cameras.
When it comes to their helmet cameras, the HERO7 is possibly one of the most reputable and will be one that many motorcycle riders have at least considered even if they bought a different one. The main reason why this camera is so popular with motorcycle riders is that it is ever so easy to stabilize it during a ride. You just click it onto your helmet and you are then good to go. You won’t need to worry about any wobbles or super-quick movements blurring the footage while you are riding either. That’s because the camera has an inbuilt feature that gives it the ability to detect and predict movements, which gives it the chance to correct the camera. This means that your footage will also come out very smooth.
The camera can also automatically add HDR to the footage and can also use a cool time warping feature. The time warping allows to create a stable time lapse while you move around, giving you the chance to make some really cool effects.
What’s more, this camera can be powered by voice commands, so you don’t always have to pull over just to change any of its settings.
- HyperSmooth Video Stabilization Get gimbal like stabilization without the gimbal. HERO7 Black predicts your movements and corrects for camera shake to deliver insanely smooth footage
- Time Warp Video Capture super stabilized time lapse videos while you move about a scene. Increase the speed up to 30x to turn longer activities into shareable moments
- Super Photo: Get the best photos automatically. With Super Photo, HERO7 Black intelligently applies HDR, local tone mapping or noise reduction to optimize your shots
- Rugged + Waterproof: Share experiences you can’t capture with your phone. HERO7 Black is rugged, waterproof without a housing to 33 feet (10 meter) and up for any adventure
- Voice Control: Stay in the moment. Control your HERO7 Black hands free with voice commands like “GoPro, take a photo” and “GoPro, start recording
If you aren’t too fluent in tech then the Garmin VIRB Ultra 30 could be the helmet camera for you, as it is super easy to use. You will find that the touchscreen interface is very intuitive, so you should never struggle for too long trying to figure out how to change any of the settings or features.
Just like the GoPro HERO 7, this camera can be powered by your voice alone. Next time you are out on the road, you will be able to issue it some voice commands to change the settings and to make sure that your camera is always set to its optimum settings.
Lots of people decide to go with the VIRB Ultra 30 because of its ability to record extremely good quality videos. For instance, you will be able to film in 4k at 30fps if you ever need to. If you do want to film in this regularly, just make that the device you use for playback is able to show such high quality.
Thanks to the extras that come with the VIRB Ultra 30, such as a waterproof case, you’ll be able to use it when you are out riding in all weather.
- ULTRA HD VIDEO - Crystal clear 4K/30fps footage, 1080p/120fps, or slow motion capability at 720p/240fps
- G-METRIX - Built-in GPS and external sensors with connectivity to Garmin devices to capture performance data like speed, elevation, heart rate and G-force
- LCD COLOR TOUCHSCREEN - 1.75-inch display is easy to operate; fully functional in and out of waterproof case
- VOICE CONTROL - Shoot hands-free by using voice commands to start/stop recording, take a photo or tag footage
- 3-AXIS IMAGE STABILIZ3-AXIS IMAGE STABILIZATION - Captures steady footage up to 1080p/60fps
One further camera for you to consider is the AKASO V50 Pro. If you want a camera with a lot of accessories, then this is the model for you. All of the various accessories and add-ons that you will get will likely make the slightly bigger price tag seem a lot more reasonable if you do decide to buy one. For example, your camera will come with a few different mounts, frames, a waterproof case, and second battery. In fact, you will also benefit from an extra wristband that you can use as a remote control.
Thanks to the AKASO V50 Pro’s brilliant hardware, you will be able to take advantage of 4k resolution and a 14MP Panasonic image sensor. That means that the footage that you film will look incredibly smooth and clear when you come to replay it.
Even though the image stabilization doesn’t quite compare to the expert stabilizing you would get with the GoPro Hero range, it is still nothing to be sniffed at. There are different options when it comes to setting the stabilizing too, so you should be able to increase it whenever you need to.
The majority of helmet cameras will come with an app that you can download on your smartphone. This gives you the chance to change any features and control the settings from your phone. Unfortunately, the app for the AKASO V50 Pro isn’t quite as good as some of the others that you get for other helmet cameras. So, if that is an important feature for you, you might want to think whether it’s actually worth investing in a different camera that will offer you a better app.
Something else to remember when you are buying an AKASO V50 4K helmet camera is that there won’t be a memory card included in the box. You’ll have to buy one separately in order to save all of your rides out.
- SUPERB IMAGE QUALITY: Featuring 4K/30fps and 20MP image, your AKASO V50 Pro action camera can capture every detail of your wonderful outdoor adventures and present an immersive footage of you and your world.
- ELECTRONIC IMAGE STABILIZATION: Built-in Electronic Image Stabilization (EIS) with 6-axis gyroscope detects position and motion changes. When the camera tilts, moves, shakes or experiences impact, this action camera can still produce stable videos.
- OPTIONAL VIEW ANGLE: You can adjust the view angle of this action camera according to your needs between Super Wide, Wide, Medium and Narrow. This action camera also has the distortion calibration feature, which offers image distortion improvements.
- BUILT-IN WIFI AND HDMI OUTPUT: Just download App(iSmart Pro+) on your phone or tablet and connect it to this action camera, you can share your wonderful moment on social media instantly. With HDMI Port allows you to connect it to TV.
- FREE VALUABLE ACCESSORIES: This underwater camera comes with 2 rechargeable 1100mAh batteries, chargers and remote control wristband and lots of accessories kits. The kits fit most cameras even Gopro.
If you have been eyeing up helmet cameras such as the GoPro for quite some time already, but are constantly put off by the price, then the Campark ACT74 is a great alternative for you. It comes with many great features that you will be able to take advantage of, and it won’t completely blow your budget.
The Campark ACT74 has a snappy little design, so will be great if you want a camera that looks great. It’s also really easy to use as well, thanks to its intuitive design. All of the buttons on the camera itself are also highly responsive. Again, this is another camera that you can connect to your smartphone via an app, although there have been some reports that the app doesn’t work too well on some phone models. This is something you will need to look into.
Even though this camera doesn’t have the best image processor built into it, you will still get some great video footage from it.
- Super 4K recording +Sony sensorcampark 4K sports action camera records video footage in 4K/30Fps and takes photo at 16M. Campark action cameras help you capture and share your world in a fantastic resolution.
- 170° + Optional view angle lensThis Action Cam with 2 Inch HD Screen and 170 degree lens, You can also adjust view angle in the camera, Multiple view angles can be selected, give you a different visual experience, you won't miss out on any background details.
- Wi-fi remote controlaction cameras compatible with iOS and Android System.The sports camera allows you control camera via the phone in real time, what is more, instantly send Pics and videos via email or Share them on social media easily.
- Waterproof up to 30m(98Feet) depththe waterproof case design for underwater world.Waterproof up to 30 meters.Ideal for water sports like swimming, drifting, surfing etc.
- Dual recharger batteries + mounting Accessories kitsincreased long battery life up to 180 minutes (Dual rechargeable lithium batteries) shooting timee along with tons of free accessories. Multifunctional accessories enable you to mount your camera to helmet, bicycles, wrist, etc ( carrying case not included )
The Dragon Touch Vision 3 is a great all-rounder and perfect for anyone with a tight budget. Unfortunately, the 4k30pfs frames aren’t quite up to scratch with some of the other cameras in this list can produce. The slow motion feature works particularly well despite it affecting the quality of the camera.
This camera also comes with a smartphone app, although it has been noted that it is one of the least intuitive in the list. However, if you just need a fairly basic camera that isn’t overpriced, this is certainly a good one to go for.
- 4K ACTION CAMERA with 4X ZOOM: Professional 4K/30FPS, 2.7K/30fps, 1080P/60FPS video and 16MP photo resolution enables you to capture exciting moment for you. This action camera also features zoom range from 1.0X to 4.0X.
- WIRELESS WRIST REMOTE CONTROL: Put the remote control on your wrist while installing the sports camera on your helmet, convenient to record moments in places you can't reach. Wireless range up to 10m(33ft), the remote is not waterproof.
- WIFI ACTION CAMERA with 2" SCREEN: Save and share your sports action camera moments on the phone/tablet with App XDV, WiFi signal ranges up to 33 feet. 2'' screen allows you to preview the video in action camera.
- 100FT WATERPROOF CAMERA with FREE ACCESSORIES: Place your camera into the waterproof case and securely fasten it, you can dive below 30 meters. This underwater camera is ideal for water sports such as swimming, surfing, diving, etc. This underwater camera also comes with 2 rechargeable 1050mAh batteries, charger and accessories which available for most action camera even Gopro.
- VERSATILE BUT COMPACT: This action camera features multiple functions including driving mode, image rotation, time-lapse, loop recording, slow motion, dramashot, exposure and white balance. Bringing this sports camera to more applicable conditions beyond your expectation. This action camera is not Mac compatible.
Hopefully, these concise reviews help you choose the best helmet camera for your needs.
Why You Should Use A Motorcycle Helmet Camera
Here is a video talking about why you should always use a motorcycle helmet camera when riding: