The Top 5 Metal Detectors For The Beach
Metal detecting is a fantastic pastime on the beach, and one that you can enjoy elsewhere too. The beach can be a particularly fun place for some metal detecting, with plenty of opportunity to discover something interesting under the sand. Whether you’re a seasoned detectorist or you’re new to the hobby, you need a metal detector if you want to try and find anything. You can explore a range of options, with different features and different capabilities. Some metal detectors are ideal for beginners, while others offer a little more for people who want to take their hobby further.
If you’re new to metal detectors, it can be hard to know what to look for. The technical information can be confusing, and you might not really know what you need to get the best results. But it doesn’t have to be too complicated, and there are some key things to look for. For example, the level a metal detector is waterproof to is an important factor to take into account if you want to use it on the beach. You might also want to consider usability and how easy it is to begin using it, as well as how sensitive it is.
To choose the best metal detector for the beach, take a look at our top five picks below. You can explore a range of options to find the beach metal detector that’s right for you.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Metal Detector For The Beach is the Garrett ACE 400.
Best Metal Detectors For The Beach
The waterproof quality of a metal detector is important if you want to use it on the beach. The Garrett ACE 400 has a waterproof submersible search coil, which makes it ideal for metal detecting along the shore. While the detector isn’t fully submersible, meaning that you can’t get too deep into the water, it’s idea if you simply want to walk along the edge of the beach and perhaps search in rock pools and shallows. This metal detector has a high 10 kHz frequency to offer sensitivity on low and medium-connectivity targets like gold and lead.
This detector is a good option if it’s your first one, but it could also be an excellent choice if you’re ready to upgrade from a more basic metal detector. It features different tones for different metals so that you can get a good idea of what you’re picking up, and the digital target ID with a 0 to 99 scale provides target information. The adjustable frequency means that you can adjust the settings to minimize interference. You get a number of essential parts and accessories with this detector, including a coil cover, ClearSound headphones, an adjustable arm strap, and batteries.
With a two-year warranty, you can guarantee that this metal detector is going to last for a while. All of its features are there to help improve your accuracy and help you to find more interesting items. You’ll want it with you when you’re scanning the beach for treasure.
- Garrett ACE 400 Metal Detector with 8.5″ x 11″ PROformance DD Waterproof Submersible Search Coil, Coil Cover, ClearSound Headphones, Garrett Pro-Pointer II Pinpointer, ACE Environmental Cover Up for control box, Adjustable Arm Strap, Batteries and a Two-Year Warranty.
- New Iron Audio allows user to hear discriminated iron targets and to alter the mid-tone signal range
- New Digital Target ID with a 0 to 99 scale offers target information
- New higher frequency (10 kHz) provides better sensitivity on low and medium-conductivity targets (i.e. gold, lead)
- New Adjustable Frequency to help eliminate interference
If you’re looking for a sturdy metal detector with a good warranty that can handle a variety of terrains, the Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro is a good choice. This detector comes with a 5-year limited warranty and offers a range of professional features. It features an 11-inch DD waterproof searchcoil, making it ideal for using on the beach. The coil allows you to increase depth and improve target separation and ground coverage. With its adjustable length and weighing only 2.4 pounds, it’s comfortable to hold and use. It also has a padded poron arm support for easy carrying.
This metal detector allows you to detect coins 10″ (25cm) deep and is fully programmable with 99-segment target ID. The six discrimination modes include three preset and three manual, and it has a fully variable notching system. You can get excellent accuracy from this metal detail, with features such as computerized ground balancing and a two-digit target and depth indicator. Seven modes of operation and a four-tone audio ID give you options for how you want to use the detector and help you differentiate between the things that you discover.
The Land Ranger Pro operates on just one 9V alkaline battery at 7.69 kHz. The no-motion pinpoint mode will help you find what you’re looking for even more easily than ever. If you want a metal detector that can do a lot but won’t break the bank, this one from Bounty Hunter is an excellent choice.
- V-Break, Variable Tone Breakpoint
- Pinpoint Mode with Depth Indicator
- FeTone, Adjustable Iron Audio
- Menu System with Variable Notching
- Ground Grab, Computerized Ground Balancing
3. Fisher F22
The Fisher F22 also has a submersible searchcoil so that you can take it on the beach. It’s weather-resistant, so if the weather should turn, you’ll be protected too. This metal detector needs just two AA batteries to run, giving it 25 to 30 hours of use. It features a quick retune speed and great target separation, with easy Discrimination, Sensitivity, Notch and Pinpoint features. The 9-Segment Target Categories and a 0-99 numeric Target-ID enhanced with 4-Tone Audio-ID System make it easy to find what you want.
This metal detector has four modes of operation and adjustable sensitivity and volume so you can use it how you like. The four operation modes are jewelry, coin, artefact and custom, so you can choose a preset mode or change the settings to suit your needs. You can set your own tones and benefit from the non-volatile memory save settings. This metal detector operates on a 7.69 kHz frequency. It weighs only 2.3lbs, making it easy to carry and comfortable to hold. Thanks to the Fe-Tone adjustable iron audio,you can set the volume of ferrous targets lower than the volume of non-ferrous targets to get better clarity on your targets.
This is a good value choice if you’re looking for a beach metal detector, and it comes with a 5-year warranty. With its weatherproof construction, you can take it out in all weathers on the beach and in other environments too. It’s ultra lightweight so you can take it wherever you want to go.
- Weatherproof all-purpose metal detector
- Visual target-id by category
- Operates on 2 aa batteries (25-30 hours)
- Fe-tone (adjustable iron audio)
For a metal detector that anyone can use, the National Geographic Pro is ideal. It’s designed to be easy for anyone to use, no matter their age or size. Whether you’re a beginner or you’re a more advanced metal detectorist, this metal detector is suitable for you. It has a compact waterproof 10″ coil, which gives you an adequate surface area. You can collapse the detector to only 22″ and it weighs just 2lb, making it very portable and easy to take to the beach. Although it’s suitable for beginners, it also has some excellent professional features, including three detection modes, four sensitivity levels and pinpoint location. It can detect up to 12 inches deep.
The detection modes will pick up aluminum, rings and coins so that you can filter out the good finds from the trash. The large coil allows you to quickly cover ground on the beach but it still folds up small and can even fit into a backpack. The telescoping design means you don’t need to assemble any complicated parts. Just unfold the detector and fold it back up again when you’re done. The LCD display is extremely easy to understand, making it especially good for children and beginners.
This metal detector is particularly good if you want to give your kids something to do on the beach. But if you’re looking for something for yourself, don’t write it off as only an option for children. It’s an excellent choice if you want something portable that still has plenty of power.
- FIND BURIED TREASURE and feel the thrill of discovery when you locate cool artifacts like Gold, Coins, Jewelry, Tools and more!
- EASY TO USE for all ages, sizes and skill levels from beginner to advanced. Just unfold and go.
- COMPACT, LARGE WATERPROOF 10" COIL, LIGHTWEIGHT and collapses to just 22 inches and 2 lbs. Great for travel!
- PACKED WITH PRO FEATURES including 3 detection modes, 4 sensitivity levels and a pinpoint location feature to help you distinguish trash from treasure as deep as 12 inches
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED - National Geographic stands behind this Pro Series Metal Detector with a TWO-YEAR warranty.
The LCD screen and digital buttons on the RM RICOMAX Metal Detector make it easy for you to adjust your settings and get the information that you need. With three modes available, you can detect the treasures that you want to find, including iron, gold, bronze, silver and aluminum. It has a low tone, medium tone and high tone to indicate the different types of metal that you detect. The P/P function helps you pick up your target accurately and the headphone jack means you can plug in a pair of headphones and cut out any background noise.
The metal detector weighs just 2.31 pounds, making it very easy to carry around. The waterproof coil means you can use it on the beach and detect along the shore. It runs on two 9V batteries to give you lots of power for a good price. It’s a good choice of metal detector for kids, but it’s equally useful for adults who want to get into the hobby too. Its adjustable stem extends it from 33 inches to 40.6 inches, making it suitable for a range of heights. It’s professional enough that it will impress more experienced users with its range of features. It even comes with a lifetime warranty.
When you’re choosing a metal detector for the beach, consider your experience level and what sort of features you’re looking for. Many metal detectors are easy to use but still give you professional features.
- 【TRUE DISCRIMINATION MODE】- This metal detector can detect iron, zinc, aluminum, gold, copper, silver and more in all-metal mode. Just press the button, you can simply switch to the DISC mode to eliminate the metals you don’t want and focus on those to your liking.The crossed frame means item(s) that are eliminated. Two 9V alkaline batteries are required to run the metal detector.
- 【HIGHER SENSITIVE & WATERPROOF SEARCH COIL】- The bigger the search coil is, the higher the sensitivity. The 10-inch big search coil can reach up to 8" depth, which makes the detecting MORE EFFICIENT. The WATERPROOF stem and coil(*the control box is not waterproof) allow you to explore underwater, on the beach or in the stream. Definitely a useful and fun tool for outdoor activities.
- 【MORE INTUITIVE LCD CONTROL BOX】- A control box with LCD display will make detecting much easier. The detection mode, depth of the target, sensitivity level, battery condition, and volume level can be known at a glance. An arrow displayed below the target icon indicates which object is hunting for. Compared to the knob and dial, button and LCD are obviously more intuitive to use.
- 【PINPOINT FUNCTION & DISTINCTIVE AUDIO PROMPT】- For different types of metal, there are distinctive audio tones. After a period of time of use, you can simply tell what you found by sounds. The added P/P function makes detecting more accurate. Operating steps have been written in the manual. It’s nice for work and fun to use.
- 【IEDAL FOR ALL AGES】- No matter you’re a beginner or a veteran treasure hunter, this metal detector will meet your needs. It’s easy to assemble, easy to use and fit for both adults and kids with 33” to 40.6” adjustable stem. It works with headphones. In the package, it also comes with a digging shovel and a carry bag. Definitely a great gift for outdoor enthusiast at all ages.
Tips For Metal Detecting
Here is a great YouTube video offering tips on metal detecting:
If you enjoyed this article, you may be interested in some of our other beach gear reviews. Be sure to check out our beach tent review, beach chair review, beach umbrella review, and beach wagon review.