The Top 10 Longboards Reviewed
If you absolutely adore surfing, you might be keen to give skateboarding a go? However, what you should really be looking at is longboarding. The clue is in the name here and these boards are far more similar to surfboards than your typical skateboards. They are great fun to use too and wicked fast, providing a great level of fun. Of course, it’s important to make sure that you choose the right longboard for you.
Selecting the best longboard will ensure that you have no trouble keeping control on steep slopes and will guarantee that the board stays in great condition for years. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a beginner or a long term longboard enthusiast, buying the right board is always going to be the first step. That’s where we come in. On this article, you’ll find a fantastic list of some of the best longboards to choose from so you can find the perfect fit for your needs.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Longboard is the Magneto Bamboo Longboard.
If you know anything about the history of longboards, you will probably be aware that they were actually born in Hawaii. That’s why you won’t be surprised to learn that this particular product is actually made out of bamboo. Bamboo provides a high quality, strong board with great levels of flexibility. So, is this particular board the right choice for you?
Well, let’s start with the setup. You’ll be thrilled to hear that there isn’t any and instead you can ride this board straight out the box. Within minutes of purchasing the product, you can be zipping down to a hillside. Another big benefit is that it provides a very smooth ride which isn’t true for all longboards so it’s certainly worth taking this into account. The board is high off the ground meaning that you have great handling too. You can make tight corners with this board and ensure that you cut a sharp line so it is perfect for racing or just cruising. The deck is also stable riding downhill which again, is never a guarantee.
If you do feel the need to change how this board feels and rides, then you’ll find that very easy. All you need to do is tighten the trucks and you will be immediately be able to get a completely different feel. The board also looks fantastic so if you’re looking for one that really provides that incredible style, then this is certainly the best choice for you. It will certainly attract all the right attention when you take it out for a spin. The board is a tad costly but ultimately, you are paying for a high-quality build that will last for years.
- High Tech Carbon Fiber, Bamboo and Fiberglass hybrid deck with W concavity for excellent foot traction
- 7" high angle gravity cast trucks perfect for carving and aggressive riding
- Upgraded Wheels and Bearings 78A Wheels, 70mm X 53mm with Stainless Steel bearings
- OS780 grip tape with our Magneto Logo carved out revealing the carbon fiber material
- The best option for going fast and bombing hills!
Are you looking for a board with a true tropical aesthetic? If so, then this is a great choice for you. You only need to look at the bottom of the board to know that this one is really rather special. It has a modern, sleek design that looks fantastic and certainly provides the style points that you probably want. The board is actually available in a variety of different finishes too, so you’ll have no problem finding the product to match your own personal aesthetic here.
The board is also built for everyone and what we mean by this is that it will easily support up to 275lbs. One thing to be aware of when you purchase this product is that it is not designed for steep riding. Instead, it’s more for cruising and if you’re using it to glide around town we think you’ll love what it has to offer. However, if you really want to push it to the max, then you’ll be pleased to hear that this board can reach a tremendous 30mph. However, this will largely be based on your individual level of skill and riding style.
The true beauty of this board is definitely the craftsmanship. If you don’t love the way it rides, then you’ll certainly appreciate the care and hard work that has gone into making sure that it looks absolutely stupendous. That said, it does provide a beautifully smooth ride with virtually no resistance, once you are able to take it through the paces.
There is quite a wide turning radius and you will have to lean quite a lot if you want a smooth 180-degree turn. However, we’re thrilled to say that even with this small caveat, the board will serve you well once you get the hang of it. There’s no wheel bite to be found here and you’ll find kicking provides a motion that feels not completely unlike flying.
- Deck: Maple/Bamboo hybrid laminate with photo heat transfer graphic
- Trucks: Navigator Drone - 40 degree base - 180mm hangers
- Wheels: Atom AREA 51 - 70mm diameter - 51mm wide - 78A - SHR
- Bearings: ABEC 9 with high-speed lubricant
- Grip: Coarse 46 grit
If you’re looking for a minimal longboard that provides a beautiful chic style, this could be the one for you. Similar to other products on the list, this one does come in a range of different styles. So, again, you should be able to find the perfect one to fit your own look. We love the different colored wheels too. It’s a small feature, but it shows how much thought has gone into the overall design.
This board is not expensive at all and almost provides a beautiful, budget-friendly choice, ideal if you’re just entering and exploring the world of longboarding. Many people will use this board as a jumping off the board and then work to perfect and custom builds their own ultimate glider from the base design.
On the other hand, if you hate customization or you are keen to avoid it completely, you’ll find this is an option for this particular product. That’s due to the fact that this item is actually made from high-quality components. As such, there’s no need to replace them and the item is ready virtually as soon as you get it out of the box.
We think that this board will be particularly useful for learners just starting to get into longboarding. That’s due to how easy it is to control, guide and steer.
- Size: 40 inches x 9.5 inches
- Multiple layers of Bamboo and Canadian Maple with durable heat transferred graphics and clear grip tape.
- 180 mm (7 inch) aluminum trucks with polished finish and ultra high rebound bushings
- 70 mm x 50 mm high rebound urethane wheels. Fast and durable Abec 9 Hellion 2 bearings with built in spacers.
- Search: "White Wave Longboards" to see all our products
One of the cheapest options on our list, this board still provides a fantastic ride. It’s another option that comes in a variety of different styles, colours and shades to match personal preferences. Regardless of what type of design you’re looking for, we think you’ll find an option to fit the bill with this product.
While this board is suitable for beginners, it does ride quite high. As such, you need to make sure that if you are using it, then you have already mastered your balance. Again, it’s the little details that count with this one too. For instance, the board has notches carved in where the wheels are. This stops the wheels from rubbing against the bamboo and spoiling the finish.
Similar to other options on this list, the board does provide a fantastic, smooth ride so if you’re just using it to glide from one place to the next, it could be a great option. While the packaging it comes in isn’t great, we’re pleased to say that the board will arrive in brilliant condition and is ready to ride straight out of the box. Although, you might want to tighten the trucks a little depending on your riding style.
- 44-Inch artisan longboard made from beautiful bamboo, designed right here in Los Angeles for a strikingly vintage California look
- Rugged and lightweight 7-inch aluminum trucks
- Reactive and smooth gliding reverse kingpin trucks with precision ABEC-7 Bearing, PU casted black bushing-90A
- Bamboo and Maple hybrid board with bamboo deck and kick tail
- Durable 70x51mm 85A PU wheels with rock finish
Finally, the VOLADOR Freeride is the cheapest option on this list and we think you’ll be particularly impressed with the beautiful decor work that has gone into creating this board. It has a rather vintage feel that is sure to impress both you and also any onlookers as you ride.
Of course, no one wants a longboard that provides style over substance and we’re pleased to say that’s not an issue with this product. One of the big benefits of this product is that you can make big turns with ease. You don’t have to lean until you’re nearly falling off with this one and you can even do it at a considerable level of speed. It has a durable deck too that will last for years and ensure that you can always rely on this board. Whether you’re cruising around town or racing down a steep hill, this is a great choice for you.
You’ll also be pleased to know that the grip tape, no pun intended does provide a solid level of grip. This means that you even at fast speeds, you don’t run the risk of falling off. It does mean that you might notice some marking on the board from your shoes but that is quite common.
The board is quite long but it’s also lightweight and that means that you pick it up and carry it wherever you want. That said, strapping it to a backpack isn’t really an option and for this, you’ll need a shorter longboard.
While the ease which you can turn is a definite plus, some people will find this a tad too loose. If that’s the case, then it’s just a matter of tightening up the trucks and then it will be smooth sailing.
We hope you find this advice useful when selecting the right board for you. Whether you want a variety of different styles to choose from, or you’re keen to find a learner board there are certainly some great choices on the market. If you are looking for a different mode of transportation, be sure to check out our inline skates and hoverboard reviews.
- As an artisan work from our engineering team, the 42inch drop through camber deck offers super flex and shock absorber.
- 8-ply natural hardrock maple and epoxy glue, healthy materials bring more fun, and is better for environment.
- Genuine alluminium 7-Inch reverse kingpin trucks are adjustable as 50 or 45 degree, and take to you great maneuverability.
- Durable 70x51mm 78A PU wheels work with ABEC-9 presion bearings, letting you enjoy an unsurpassed smooth ride.
- Designed by talents across the Atlantic. Graphics range from strikingly vintage to avant-garde looks.
When MBS was developing their All-Terrain Longboard, it’s clear that they had the concept of adventure in mind. They wanted to create something that would be just as at home on city streets as a dirt track. Thus the All-Terrain is best thought of as the longboard equivalent of a touring bike – a kind of do-it-all option for people who want to take their longboards with them everywhere they go.
One of the things that the company wanted to focus on was helping riders achieve precision turns. Many longboards carry good straight-line speed, but they’re not so capable in the corners.
The company gets around this by using 190mm trucks that allow you to bend and weave with remarkable precision. While you might not need that level of accuracy and feedback offroad, it certainly comes in handy when you hit the park.
Perhaps the biggest pro of the MBS All-Terrain is the size of the wheels. They’re enormous. MBS has engineered them to roll over just about anything, providing the rider with a better angle of attack for things like rocks, sticks, and other debris you find in the city and rural environments. The wheels are also set out from the sides of the board, allowing MBS to lower the deck so that it sits flush with the axles. The lowering of the center of gravity makes it much easier to bob and weave as you descend.
The board is also quite beginner-friendly, owing to the raised ends. It’s easy to feel if your feet are in the right place while riding or before you even set off.
The downsides of the board are few and far between. Some users report that the grip tape has a tendency to peel, but that’s about it. This board is a good, solid choice for anyone wanting to go fast or begin using longboards.
- 100mm x 65mm all-terrain longboard wheels are cast with 78A super-high-rebound urethane for a perfect balance between speed and traction
- 190mm Navigator Drones trucks guarantee precision turning
- Sturdy maple-lam Drop deck keeps your center of gravity low for pushing and off-roading
- Rubber shielded ABEC 9 bearings
- Comes completely assembled
Just like MBS, Atom wanted to create a longboard that you could take of the asphalt, and onto dirt tracks in the woods. The board features MBS wheels, which, as you might expect, are big, burly, and will roll over just about anything.
Atom, however, takes a different approach to aesthetics. While the All-Terrain MBS is all about functionality, the Atom focuses on design, styling, and making you feel like you’re riding something beautiful. The company has taken great pains to inscribe boards with its logos and uses a sturdy maple deck that looks both retro and cool.
Going uphill is a perennial issue for longboarders and, frankly, one of the more irritating aspects of the activity. Atom, however, says that it has engineered its All-Terrain to be lighter than the MBS, making it slightly more comfortable on those long uphill slogs.
The board is also remarkably stable. While officially, the company recommends riders weigh less than 300 pounds, very few people over this threshold have experienced issues. The maple ply exhibits practically no flex whatsoever even at much higher weights. Plus, if you’re under 175 pounds, it feels solid as a rock.
Is this “one board to rule them all?” Arguably, yes. Despite its decidedly retro appearance, the Atom has all of the pop and geometry of a cutting edge longboard. It’s not quite as low as, say, the MBS, but it is remarkably fast and precise on the downhill.
- Wheels: MBS 100mm x 65mm all-terrain wheels cast with 78a super-high-rebound urethane for a perfect blend of on-road speed and off-road traction
- Deck: sturdy maple-lam drop deck keeps your center of gravity low for pushing and off-roading
- Trucks: reverse king pin - 50 degree base - 7 inch aluminum hangers - heat treated crmo axles - grade 8 king pins
- Bearings: rubber shielded ABEC 9 with high speed lubricant
- Grip-tape: Super coarse 46 grit off-road grip
When Quest was designing the QT-NSC44C, it’s clear that they wanted to make something that offered the value of a regular skateboard, but the thrill and flexibility of a longboard. The QT-NSC44C is not an all-terrain offering by any stretch of the imagination, though it does have large wheels. Instead, it’s a kind of urban longboard designed for shredding up and down your local streets and, perhaps, the skate park.
Unlike the other boards we’ve seen so far in this review, the QT-NSC44C doesn’t sink in the middle to provide a better center of gravity. Instead, the deck sits on top of the trucks, as it does on a regular skateboard. This format allows Quest to get the price down, but it does come at the cost of maneuverability, especially if you’re new to the sport. Thus, if you’re coming to longboards from riding skateboards, then you’ll be right at home on the Quest. If, however, you’re new to riding any type of board, then the Quest might be a bit of a learning curve.
Thus despite the entry-level price point, Quest has done an excellent job of ensuring that the deck is high-quality. The finish (which comes in a variety of colors) is nothing short of remarkable. Quest also offers a lot of support and maintenance with the product. You get the board preinstalled with eight-speed rings and four spaces, which is a nice touch that you don’t get on some products. The board is also incredibly stiff, with only a slight camber when pushing into turns. Whether you like this or not will depend on your particular riding style and preferences.
Strangely, Quest requires you to remove the trucks when you get the board to take off the plastic wrapping protecting the decks. Don’t set off riding the board immediately as the trucks themselves aren’t always fastened securely. Instead, take them off the board, remove the wrapping, and then tighten them back up again, preferably to Quest’s specifications.
So, in summary, this is a board for people who want to shred their local streets and want something affordable.
- SIZE MATTERS our 44" Longboard is the perfect size constructed in a Multi-ply Hardwood Maple and beautiful artisan bamboo deck shaped to perform and the extra detail rarely found at this price.
- THE ORIGINAL BAMBOO LONGBOARD - Designed on the boardwalks in California to higher specifications from Malibu to San Diego, we are the leaders in longboard and skateboard.
- AUTHENTIC COMPONENTS- Genuine ABEC 7 speed bearings, 7 Ply Super Flex Bamboo and Hardwood Maple Deck, 7-inch aluminum trucks, This 44"" Artisan Bamboo Longboard, Better components = Better performance
- DARE TO COMPARE Not all longboards are the same, Quest longboards are made with better materials and components if you are looking for a pro style longboard at a great price. look no further.
- MADE IN MARS- We design and make nearly 100% of our own product. The best of the tradition brands, working with some of the real pioneers of the Skate, Surf and Snow Board world, help reinvent them using todays best components, great fresh art and new technology.
It’s clear that when Playshion was in the design phase for their Drop Through longboard, they wanted to create something with excellent ergonomic properties. The board, therefore, offers several features that make it remarkably friendly for first-time riders.
The most prominent is, undoubtedly, the large, 50 mm PU wheels. While PU might sound like a second-class choice of materials, it is, actually, the most appropriate for this application. Not only is it super cheap, but it also provides a surprisingly soft and smooth ride.
The other prominent feature is the slightly concave deck. Playshion claims that the interior curvature helps to make turning more comfortable for riders, and this was certainly our experience. You’re more able to bank into turns while keeping your feet secure, even if your foot position isn’t perfect.
The wheels, of course, don’t have any tread, meaning that this is a beginner board you’ll use on asphalt, not dirt. Having said that, Playshion doesn’t market this as an all-terrain product but instead something explicitly designed for the urban environment.
It’s worth pointing out that, if you are a longboard beginner, the Playshion is surprisingly fast. The company uses a special kind of bearing that means that the board continues to run smoothly, even at high speeds. It’s ideal, therefore, in cities where there are substantial changes in elevation.
Of course, in some ways, you get what you pay for. While the bearings run smoothly for the first few months, over time, they can wear out. This longboard is not one that you should ride over hard hits regularly. It just doesn’t have the robustness to withstand that kind of abuse.
Essentially, the Playshion is a longboard for kids. Sure, it’ll serve you well as an adult, but you run the risk of having to replace the bearings sooner than you’d like.
- Come with Multi-function Skate Tool and Attractive Sticker
- Strong but Flexible Eight Ply Maple Deck make longboard can Hold Up to 250 LBS weight
- Big Soft 70x50mm PU Wheels combined with ABEC-9 Bearings for Smooth Ride
- Solid 7 Inch Aluminum Trucks equipped with soft bushings for Comfortable Longboarding
- Easy to Learn for Kids and Adults beginner due to low to ground feature come from Dropthroguht mounting technology
Bamboo is finding its way into all kinds of products in the modern world, from socks to stereos. And now, thanks to Sanview, the same is true of longboards.
When you think about it, it makes a lot of sense to use bamboo as a longboard material. Not only is it incredibly lightweight, making it easy to carry, but it also offers strength and flexibility at low cost – something tough to do otherwise.
Sanview’s Bamboo longboard has several factors in its favor. The first is the sturdy-feeling deck. Despite the bamboo constructions, it’s surprisingly reassuring underfoot. It also comes in a range of color options, like the QT-NSC44C, and has a comfortable ride.
The downsides are along the lines that you might expect. For riders who like to keep their longboards in impeccable condition, the lack of scratch-resistance on the Sanview will be a problem. There’s also an issue with the tools that you need to maintain it. The bolts are Torx, not Philips standard, so it might not be compatible with your existing toolset.
Unlike the first two boards in this review, the Sanview doesn’t sink in the middle to provide a lower center of gravity, which will make it more difficult for some beginners to master.
One of the excellent features of the board is the shape of the deck. Instead of just cutting out space for the wheels, Sanview settled on a surfboard-style design that gently curves from one end to the other, providing the desired clearance.
Overall, the board is undoubtedly worth the money. While there are issues with it, it’s surprisingly capable in the urban environment. What’s more, the dark finish on the board looks fantastic, making it the sort of thing that you’ll want to carry around with you at the beach or skate park.
- Deck: 42" Length x 9.5" Width, 7 Plies Canadian Maple Mix 1ply Bamboo Deck Longboard
- Wheels: 70X51mm SHR78A High Rebound PU Material Wheels
- Trucks and Bushings : 7" Aluminum Casting Trucks, High Rebound 83A PU Bushings
- Bearings: Precision ABEC 9 with Nylon Ball Cages, Made Of "Bearings Steel", Come With Oiled
- Note: Come Out of The Box and Ready To Go, Weight Limit 260 LBS, Recommend Age 9 +
Longboard Buyer’s Guide
Here is a great video talking about the basics of longboarding: