Best Knee Scooters Reviewed
Sometimes accidents happen, or injuries occur that temporarily reduce your mobility and hinder you from traveling the byways.
For people who’ve had surgery on or an injury to their foot, ankle, or lower leg, recovery may require not putting any weight on the injured area for an extended period.
That rules out typical solutions like standard canes or quad canes, as they still require weight on your leg.
For the longest time the best solution for someone in that condition was a set of crutches.
But for many that can seem like a prison sentence, because crutches can be unstable, painful, and in many cases very inconvenient.
Thankfully, now there is another option.
An Alternative To Crutches
A new class of mobility product on the market is the Knee Scooter or Knee Walker. These devices are designed to give you back freedom of mobility and allow you to live your life while you recover from your injury.
While at first glance they may look similar to a child’s trike or an electric scooter for commuting, these crutch alternatives are more than that. They are engineered for stability and strength, allowing you to navigate both indoors and outside without the choppy armpit-jarring action of crutches.
Knee Walker Comparison Table
We look at each scooter in detail further down in our roundup, but for those of you in a hurry here is a quick comparison of our favorite models:
Best Knee Scooters
There are a number of manufacturers offering Knee Scooters, giving you a variety of models to choose from. But not all knee scooters are created equal. Some are specifically designed for heavy duty or off-road use, while others are tailored specifically for people that are either larger or smaller than average.
To help you pick the best one for your particular mobility challenges, we reviewed the top knee scooters on the market and put together this buyers guide. We compare features for these mobile medical supplies, and look at the strengths and weaknesses of the different models so you can make an informed choice. We compare features on these specialty walkers – things like hand brakes, cup holders, and whether or not than can be easily folded for storage.
Our pick for the best overall knee scooter is the KneeRover GO Knee Walker. Some knee scooters can be cumbersome and take up a lot of space, but the KneeRover GO is a light and portable option.
This compact knee scooter weighs only 20.4 pounds but can hold up to 300. The small size means you can move around and turn more easily and within a tighter space, making it easier to maneuver indoors.
The width is only 15.5 inches and the wheels measure just 7.5 inches, so it’s simple to fold it up and store it at home or in your car. Thanks to the handlebar folding down, you can fit it into the backseat of your vehicle for easy storage and removal.
This knee scooter is easy to put together so you can start using it right away. It offers good stability and a comfortable cushion. The light weight and small size makes it fast too, so users can quickly scoot around either at home or while out and about. The smooth movement enables moving over a variety of surfaces with ease.
Stops on the steering column mean you can turn well but you’re prevented from turning too far, which stops you from tipping over and keeps you safe.
- The KneeRover GO knee walker is designed for the person on the go that won't let an ankle, foot or leg injury slow them down. Perfect for commuters, travelers, or people that just need a compact and portable mobility device to go about their busy life.
- FOLDS IN SECONDS FOR EASY TRANSPORT: Need to commute in a cab or bus? Travelling by plane? Have a small car? Want to store your knee walker under your desk? The KneeRover GO is the mobility solution for you.
- LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE: The KneeRover GO weighs only 20.4 lbs., while the front axle and center frame are designed to fold the knee walker into the most compact size possible.
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor use, the steerable KneeRover GO knee scooter kneeling walker features four 7.5" non-marking rubber wheels, and a comfortable 3.5" thick contoured knee platform that is left or right-leg compatible.
- Fully adjustable handlebars and knee platform, this lightweight yet sturdy knee walker offers a robust 300 lb. weight capacity and is recommended for individuals with heights 4' to 6'2".
Our choice for the best all-terrain knee scooter is the KneeRover HYBRID Knee Scooter with All Terrain Front Axle Upgrade. Are you looking for a slightly larger knee scooter option that can take on all terrains? This hybrid choice has sturdy wheels so it’s ideal for using outdoors and tackling a range of different surfaces.
The air filled front tires are combined with advanced tie rod steering technology and a slightly larger turning radius to give you excellent stability, even when turning. You can use it across your lawn and around your yard, or take it out and about across sidewalks, gravel, cobblestones, and more. As a hybrid model, it’s great for more gentle usage indoors too.
Despite the wider turn angle, you can still turn well in tighter spaces. The drum brake gives you good control, and the adjustable handbrake locks so you can stay still when you need to.
This knee scooter is easy to assemble in just a few minutes. It also has a removable front axle to make it easy to fold down and store or transport. The included basket is very handy for trips out of the house too, allowing you to carry your groceries or other items with ease.
This scooter is also a good choice for taller people up to 6’6″.
- ALL NEW KneeRover HYBRID Knee Walker is the first knee scooter to feature 9 inch All Terrain Pneumatic front wheels in a four wheel design for maximum freedom and stability. Navigate a range of terrain and gaps in sidewalks with increased stability.
- Combines the top rated performance and stability of the KneeCycle knee walker with an All Terrain front axle featuring 9 inch pneumatic wheels for increased freedom of mobility.
- Ideal for individuals recovering from injury or surgery to the foot, ankle or lower leg as well as below the knee amputees. KneeRover HYBRID Knee Walker is one of the most advanced knee walkers in the industry and an excellent crutch alternative.
- These steerable knee scooters offer an advanced automotive style tie-rod steering mechanism (not available on most knee walkers) and an adjustable locking handbrake.
- The Knee Rover HYBRID knee scooter features fully adjustable handlebars with a quick folding mechanism for easy transport and storage. Sturdy knee walker offers a robust 300 lb. weight capacity and is recommended for individuals with heights 5' - 6'6".
A good steerable knee walker is the Drive Medical Dual Pad Steerable Knee Walker. Unlike some other knee scooter options, the Drive Medical Dual Pad Steerable Knee Walker has two cushion pads. These are designed to offer a more comfortable experience by distributing your weight more easily.
The seat and handle can be adjusted without the need for any tools; the handle can be adjusted from 31 to 40 inches, while the cushion can be moved between 16.5 to 20.5 inches.
The steering column folds for carrying and storage with a quick flip, and the front basket is also removable so that you can cut down on the amount of space it requires.
The scooter has bicycle-style brakes, with a brake on each rear wheel. Easily bring yourself to a stop whether you’re indoors or outdoors, and lock the brakes into place by holding them down and pressing a button.
This sturdy scooter has a smooth glide and a capacity of 350 pounds. Well built and with a sizeable basket, you can rely on this scooter if you need support for your foot, ankle or leg. While this scooter might not be able to handle the most rugged terrain, it’s still a good choice for a variety of environments.
- 8" casters are ideal for indoor/outdoor use. Ideal for individuals recovering from foot surgery, breaks, sprains, amputation, and ulcers of the foot
- Knee walker can be steered for increased maneuverability. Durable, steel frame with silver vein finish; Comes with a removable front basket
- Do not operate on inclines above 15 degrees slight incline. Do not travel over drops or barriers such as curbs or parking stops
- Deluxe braking system for increased safety. Weight Limit is 350 pounds
- Overall Dimensions: 30"(L) x 16"(W) x 31"(H); Knee Pad Dimensions: 15"(L) x 7"(W) x 16.5"-20.5"(H); Handle Height: 31"-40"
A good folding knee walker for easy transportation is the KneeRover Deluxe Steerable Knee Cycle. The KneeRover Deluxe Steerable Knee Walker is sturdy but lightweight. It weighs only 24.8 pounds, making it easy to ride and to transport when you’re not using it.
It has a removable handle and axle bars, as well as a quick folding mechanism so it’s easy to store. A strong 300-pound weight capacity means it’s suitable for almost anyone.
The wheels have shock absorbing windows to provide extra stability indoors and outdoors. The adjustable knee pad has a three-inch cushion, and you can adjust it up and down without requiring any tools.
The contoured cushion together with the ergonomic handles make this scooter a comfortable ride. The smooth rolling movement also ensures you feel comfortable while using the scooter, giving you the ability to navigate flat surfaces from sidewalks to carpet.
It can even handle slightly rougher terrain, including small gravel stones and uneven sidewalks. Come to a quick stop with the drum brake system for reliable control.
The scooter is suitable for people of a wide range of heights, from under 4 foot to well over 6 foot, ensuring comfort for all.
- Ideal for individuals recovering from injury or surgery to the foot, ankle or lower leg as well as below the knee amputees. The KneeRover Deluxe KneeCycle is one of the most advanced knee walkers in the industry and an excellent alternative to crutches.
- Maximum stability and control when maneuvering - these steerable knee scooters offer an advanced automotive style tie-rod steering mechanism (not available on most knee walkers) and an adjustable locking handbrake.
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor use, the Knee Rover KneeCycle kneeling walker features four 7.5" non-marking rubber wheels, a comfortable 3.5" thick contoured knee platform that is left or right-leg compatible, and a free basket.
- The Kneecycle knee scooter also features a removable front axle and handlebars with an quick folding mechanism for easy transport and storage.; Tires: 7.5" Solid Polyurethane Rubber Wheels (Non-Marking) w/ Shock-Absorbing Sealed Windows
- Fully adjustable handlebars and knee platform, this lightweight yet sturdy knee walker offers a robust 300 lb. weight capacity and is recommended for individuals with heights 4'9" - 6'6".
A great heavy-duty knee walker is the All Terrain KneeRover Steerable Knee Scooter. When you need a knee scooter that can handle all types of terrain, this All Terrain KneeRover is your top choice.
It’s designed to go steady and strong over all types of surfaces, which means it’s ideal for people who don’t want their injury or disability to stop them getting out and about. This sturdy knee scooter can handle anything from smooth floors indoors to gravel paths and even sand on the beach outdoors. The 12-inch pneumatic tires will take on anything, and the steering adds extra stability to ensure the user always feels safe and stable.
The heavy duty frame can still be folded up with the quick release folding mechanism. The front axle can also be removed so that you can store it in a more compact configuration.
Adjust the 3-inch knee pad to suit your height and comfort, as well as the handlebars, with the tool free design. Using this all terrain knee scooter, you can remain active even when you only have one leg in action.
If you don’t want to be stopped from enjoying the outdoors or navigating around your home, an all terrain knee scooter should meet your needs.
- Padded Contoured Comfortable Knee Platform with Easy Folding Mechanism. The handlebars are made of comfort foam 7/8 inches steel
- 12″ x 8″ x 8.5″ Wire Basket is included for convenient storage and transport of your personal belongings
- Leg Compatibility: Left and Right. Knee Rest: 3″ Contoured Molded Foam
- Accommodates patient heights 5′6" - 6'6″
- 3″ Contoured Knee Support Adjusted Height Range: 18″ - 21.5″. Handlebar Adjusted Height Range: 34″ - 41″
Knee Scooter Video
Here is a YouTube video demonstrating the benefits of a knee scooter:
So if you are looking to explore the byways in our great land, don’t let an injury stop you. Grab a mobility assisting device – like a knee walker – and hit the road.