The Top 5 Hiking Sandals Reviewed
If you are planning on hiking through the summer, it is important that you invest in the right footwear. This will guarantee that your feet remain comfortable even on a long hike and that you are still getting the support you need on more difficult terrain. The best hiking sandals will provide enough grip for every type of ground surface and unlike boots won’t leave your feet sweating or even with large blisters.
When you are shopping for these types of shoes, there are a lot of factors that you need to consider. Durability is important because you must make sure that the sandals are going to withstand long hikes without significant levels of wear and tear that might plague regular walking sandals.
Another factor would be padding. You must make sure that these shoes are going to provide you with a significant level of padding so that you don’t feel the impact of the ground while you’re walking. Here then, are some of the best hiking sandals on the market today so that you can make the right choice.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best hiking sandals is the KEEN Men’s Newport H2 Sandal.
If you’re looking for a basic style of sandal that will still provide the comfort that you need on long hikes, then these could certainly fit the bill. Keen has provided a sandal that feels fantastic with firmness yet a suitable level of flexibility when you’re walking over different types of terrain.
You will also be pleased to find that these shoes are incredibly comfortable, even when they are worn on long hikes with a heavy backpack. We think you’ll be able to walk for miles wearing these with no problem at all. Just make sure that you do select a size one above your typical as they are running a tad small. It’s important to be aware that with this particular shoe you will not find they cover your ankle. Arguably, this is more beneficial for hiking as you won’t have an issue with a material rubbing against this area of your foot.
In terms of durability, you’ll find that these shoes are very tough and rugged. This makes them almost indestructible when you use them on different types of terrain while hiking. You can walk for hundreds of miles across sharp rocks and you won’t see any signs of wear at all.
If these shoes do fail you, it will likely be when attempting to maintain them after use. It’s fair to say that due to the straps they are not intended to be machine washable. If you must do this, make sure you use a gentle cycle to keep the stitching in tact. However, when looking at the actual sandal on merits this is only a small quandary.
The style of these sandals is something to be admired as well. The design is great and will look fantastic when you are walking. The reason for this is that they are not as large and bulky as more typical hiking sandals so they can be worn without socks and still look fantastic. The design also ensures a fantastic level of ventilation which will help keep the feet well ventilated even in hotter climates.
- Performance sport sandal featuring bungee lacing system and rear pull-on loop
- Supportive contoured arch ; Care: All KEEN water sandals are machine washable. Use a small amount of detergent, wash on gentle cycle and air dry. Fit Tip: This style is running a 1/2 size small. We suggest ordering a 1/2 size larger than your usual size
- Metatarsal ridge support
- Care - Machine washable, use a small amount of detergent, wash on gentle cycle and air dry
Merrell’s version of hiking sandals is a cross between sneakers and sandals. You’ll find that the design provides a lot of coverage for the foot and yet still offers slits for ventilation in the material However, sensitive parts of the feet are completely concealed and this is what you want if you are walking on difficult terrain. Leaving your toes exposed could lead to injuries that will stop you dead in your tracks walking. Luckily, you won’t have this issue wearing these sporty sandals.
Since they look like sneakers, they have a great style too. They are available in two different colors which both look fantastic. You can choose between navy and black with some beautiful contrasting yellow stitching. So, the design looks good, but how do they perform when you’re out walking?
Well, due to the level of support that these shoes provide, you should be able to walk for quite a few miles without having any trouble with blisters or aching feet. If for instance, you wanted to use these shoes while wandering over a few miles of the hillside, you would have no trouble at all. These shoes are also suitable for those with both a wide and narrow foot size. They are designed to be flexible around all types of feet and still give a comfortable level of support.
While these aren’t specifically designed for hiking in rivers, if you do decide to use them like this, you won’t encounter too many issues. They are relatively quick to dry and there are holes in the bottom to ensure that water doesn’t build up inside.
- Synthetic and mesh upper
- Neoprene lining for comfort
- EVA Midsole for comfort
- EVA footbed
- Lace Closure
Are you looking for a shoe that provides a higher level of support around your feet? If so, then the Northside sandals could be the perfect choice. The strap and covering here is designed to provide ankle support. So, if you have weak ankles or difficulty with your ankles on long hikes, these could be just what you need.
Another big benefit of these shoes is that they come in a range of different styles. As such, you’ll be able to find the right fit for you. Choose from ranges of different shades and colors so that you can individualize your style when you are out walking along the hills. The bungee cord lacing also provides a tight hold that will stop your skin rubbing against the material when taking longer walks or hikes.
If you are looking for sandals to wear in wet weather when out hiking, then these could certainly be a smart choice. The material used on the underlayer is designed to provide a solid level of grip even when wet so you won’t have to worry about slipping and sliding.
While these are not for use walking in water, they are designed to be water resistant. This means that you can walk through puddles or in heavy rain and you won’t have to worry too much about your feet getting drenched.
- Rugged flexible upper features breathable inserts/black faux leather overlays/EVA backing/abrasion resistant toe guard/durable shock resistant sole
- This all weather outdoor closed toe sandal offers water resistant construction/moisture wicking EVA lining for all day comfort
- Lightweight EVA insole/padded backing ensure cushioning for your feet; toe caps protect your feet for hiking/biking and more
- Elastic drawstring lacing system keeps your feet safe and secure; heel pull loop allows easy on/off
- Durable multi directional rubber outsole ensures reliable traction/shock absorption over both wet/dry surfaces
This is another sandal that is designed to provide the same level of comfort and protection to the front of your feet as typical sneakers. Ultimately, wearing these you will be able to make sure that you don’t have to worry about problems with bruised or cut toes while out walking. They also come in a range of different styles that are more colorful and bold than the other selections on this list. So, if you want to make sure you stand out wearing your sandals, then these could be a great option.
One of the best facts about these shoes is that they are incredibly quick to dry. So, if you’re looking for sandals to wear hiking through rivers or perhaps in the wetter months of the year, then these certainly fit the bill. They can also be worn with or without socks which provides multiple comfort and style options, depending on which you feel would suit you best.
An important consideration when deciding whether you want to buy this sandal is that the heel strap does not tighten. As such, you may be skeptical about whether it will provide the right level of support for serious hiking. That said, if you’re looking for a shoe for more casual hiking, this could be a great option. Furthermore, they are incredibly durable. You can wear these for months and they won’t wear out which can’t be said for similar, more expensive sandals.
- 3-Layer Front Toe Protection : Multi Layer Toecap protection (Not* Single-Layer Outsole)
- Mid hybrid Toecap(PU)
- Inner Layer (Synthetic upper)
- Outer rubber guard (Outsole-Covers only the bottom portion)
- Alert : True to size ! Recommend ordering usual shoe size
Have you been searching for a women’s sandal with a distinct style? Well, then Keen have you covered. These sandals are designed specifically to fit the feet of women, look fantastic and provide superior levels of comfort as well as support. You could say that they shoes tick off all the necessary boxes and you would be right! Another great benefit of these particular shoes is that they are designed for water use. So, you could potentially have a great time with them kayaking or wading through rivers. It’s entirely your choice. The only thing you need to watch out for is that these shoes can be slippery on algae covered rocks.
Furthermore, these shoes are very comfortable to wear. You might have had issues before wearing these types of shoes with a strap that rubs against the back of your feet. With these shoes, you can tighten it using the pull tie and you won’t find that they rub at all. That means that you’ll have no trouble keeping your feet inside and secure even on long treks.
- Premium Leather Shoe
- Bungee lace capture system
- Hydrophobic mesh lining. Non-marking rubber outsole
- METATOMICAL FOOTBED DESIGN. This internal support mechanism is anatomically engineered to provide excellent arch support and cradle the natural contours of the foot.
- All KEEN water sandals are machine washable. Use a small amount of detergent, wash on gentle cycle and air dry.
We hope you find this advice useful when searching for the best hiking sandals for you. There are various options available on the market that could be suitable here. It’s just a matter of finding the right design and style to suit your needs when you’re out on the hills or wading through the rivers. So strap on your sandals, grab your trekking poles, and get hiking!
Recommended Hiking Sandals Accessories
Hiking Sandal Orthotic Inserts
- LASTING COMFORT - arch support improves foot and leg alignment, enhances comfort, and helps ease stress and pain caused by flat feet (Pronation), bunions, arthritis, and diabetes.provides relief from Plantar Fasciitis (heel pain & heel spurs), Achilles Tendonitis and also Ball of Foot pain
- DEEP HEEL CUP- to maintain correct foot positioning.protects your heel during the heavy impact of landing during walking or running and stabilizes the foot.
- PREMIUM EVA MATERIAL - It is excellent for shock absorption and pain relief. The fabric also helps keep your feel cool
- DESIGNED FOR EVERYDAY USE - Provides moderate control and support in walking or casual hiking shoes, work shoes and boots.Comfort and cushioning for all types of leisure or everyday footwear
- RISK FREE - IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED WITH OUR INSOLES ,PLEASE BE SURE TO CONTACT WALKHERO CUSTOMER SERVICE WITH YOUR ORDER NUMBER BEFORE YOU COMPLAIN OUR RETURN POLICY ,WE WILL OFFER A REASONABLE AND ACCEPTABLE SOLUTION TO MAKE IT UP FOR YOU FRIENDLY REMINDER: WalkHero insoles are packed in resealable ziplock bag, Free to open and seal, please kindly keep the package intact before return. To avoid Amazon refuse your return request due to packaging damage, Please DO NOT use scissors to open it
Advantages of Hiking Sandals
Here is a video showing the benefits of wearing sandals over boots or shoes: