The Top 5 Hardtail Mountain Bikes
If you’re keen to explore the forests, hills and mountains on two wheels, then you need the best mountain bike. The right mountain bike will provide the right level of comfort and be powerful enough to make sure you can handle the toughest slopes and declines. Whether you’re trekking up a dirt path or racing down a rocky terrain a great mountain bike is the perfect tool. It will even allow you to ride over fallen trees or large stones.
With so many hardtail mountain bikes on the market, it can be difficult to find the right choice. You need to think about the level of gears, the design, the tread of the tires and even the design of the handlebars. All this will help you find the right mountain bike to match your needs. So, let’s take a look at some of the best options on the market right now.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Hardtail Mountain Bike is the BEIOU Carbon Fiber.
Best Hardtail Mountain Bikes
The biggest selling point of this particular model of hardtail mountain bike is that it is made of carbon fiber. The material ensures that the bike is light which makes it easier to ride up steep slopes. It’s perfect for longer rides if you are eager to spend hours out on the dirt path. Of course, you do need to be prepared for the higher cost but many will agree the additional benefits make it worth it.
Some mountain bikes come in multiple pieces and take hours to set up or prepare for the track. We’re pleased to say that’s not the case with this particular product. Instead, you can set up your bike in a few minutes after putting the seat and handlebar on. As such, there’s no need to hire an expert solution to get your bike ready.
The bike also provides a number of fantastic customization options. For instance, you can lock out of the fork on the fly. This is easy to do as well. On the shoulder position, you’ll find a small button that you can press. This is all you need to use to change the air suspension of the bike.
While this is expensive for a mountain bike, for a carbon fibre bike, you are actually getting a fantastic value for money. If you explore the market, you’ll find that carbon bikes can cost as much as $6000 so you are making a saving. Furthermore, the bike is style too and won’t have to worry about looking out of place on a mountain trail. While some parts of the bike will not suit every ride, it’s possible to change different accessories to fit your style or comfort.
- BEIOU Carbon Fiber 29er Bicycle 29-Inch MTB; SHIMANO M6000 DEORE System
- 3*10 Speed, Hidden Disc Brake, Air Fork Suspension, Hardtail MTB
- Toray T800 Carbon Fiber for Frame, Handle Bar and Seat Post; Ultralight 11.8kg
- Finish: 3K Matte Black / White Red; 29er RT wheel set Carbon Fiber Hubs
- High Cost-performance, Designed for Cycling Enthusiasts and Professional Entry-level Riders; Usually arrives in 7-10 busniess days to US continential addresses
If you’re looking for a cheaper hardtail mountain bike that still provides a fantastic ride, we recommend you explore this choice. It’s a stunning royal red that provides aesthetic when your racing across mountain tracks and forest trails. The bike also comes in a variety of different sizes. So, you can easily find the best one to match your particular size.
An issue with this bike is that it does have a straight steerer tube. So, if the fork needs upgrading, it is more difficult. That said, the bike is strong enough with a high-quality build which means that you shouldn’t need to do this for years.
The bike is easy to assemble too and even comes with brake fluid. As such, you don’t need to worry about spending ages putting it together. The bike came out in 2017 so it’s still fairly fresh on the market and it does have a fork lockout for going uphill. This means that you will find steeper climbs far easier.
This bike isn’t suited for competitive riding. However, it is a great choice if you’re looking for a fun ride on the slopes. You really can take this bike anywhere and have a fantastic time. It’s cheaper than most bikes but still provides a high level of comfort that you need. While not carbon fiber, the bike is still wonderfully light and will ensure that you won’t have to struggle on the climb.
Some bikes are fantastic travelling uphill but struggle heading down. The good news is that this particular bike is great at handling both. It will provide you with a lot of confidence when you’re on the downhill sections of any trail.
- Aluminum frame is lightweight and durable
- SR Suntour suspension fork offers 120mm of travel to soak up bumps
- Tektro Auriga hydraulic disc brakes for excellent stopping power
- Shimano Altus shifters offer 9 gears for simplicity and lower weight
- Pedals included; limited lifetime warranty on the frame for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the bicycle
Are you looking for a hardtail mountain bike that is a little more discreet and minimal? If that’s the case, then you this could be a great option. The matte black design is spectacular and will look stunning when you ride. We’re also delighted with the quality of this build, particularly for such a low price. Comparatively, the bike is a lot cheaper than the previous two options on our list, providing a lightweight and a high level of strength.
This bike also comes as ready to ride. Basically, this means that the bike is nearly fully assembled. All you need to do is make a few adjustments and you’ll find that the bike is ready to go. The sizes are also quite easy to understand. For instance, if you are 6’2 then you will require the XL bike.
Unlike other bikes, this one isn’t small at all. In fact, you’ll certainly feel the weight when you use this one on the trails. However, some will love the bulky size because it provides a lot of power. The high number of gears and weight also mean that you can reach tremendous speeds too. So, if you’re looking to race on a bike that will last for hundreds of miles, you definitely want to try this one out yourself.
Another great benefit of this particular bike is that it provides a fun ride. This means that you won’t have to worry about getting bored on your bike. The other good news is that the suspension is fantastic and will allow you to ride for hours without feeling every bump and jolt.
- Aluminum alloy 29er hard tail frame is tried and true
- 14g stainless steel spokes
- Suspension fork provides added control and comfort on the trail
- Shimano drivetrain is a staple of reliability
- Mechanical disc brakes offer great stopping power
This is a little more flashy than the other options on the list. If you’re searching for a hardtail mountain bike with great style, then this could be a good choice. We love the way the red flashes clash with the black body.
Unlike other options on the market, this does not provide a fast assembly and does not come preassembled. However, the instructions are easy to understand and for the money, you’ll save it might be worth it. The bike has disc brakes with cables which are the standard for mountain bikes. Many people believe that these are actually effective than other advanced tech options.
This bike also functions well on a variety of different terrains. You can ride the bike through mud and even a foot of water. The bike will continue with no trouble at all and provide the stability that you need in these types of conditions. Similar to other products on this list, this bike is fast and will easily hit 28mph on the right trail.
You can adjust this bike too, adding different pieces of equipment to provide the custom ride experience that you need. You might find that there are a few small issues with the bike at first. However, these can be easily corrected with a few small adjustments.
- The Schwinn bonafied mountain bike features an aluminum mountain frame and a powerful Schwinn suspension fork that soaks up bumps and thumps to provide you with a fun, durable riding experience
- 24 speed Shimano EZ Fire trigger shifters and front and rear Shimano derailleurs make gear changes easy and smooth
- Front and rear mechanical disc brakes provide crisp all condition stopping out on the trail; Durable Schwinn alloy cranks provide steady gearing and less pesky maintenance
- High profile double wall alloy rims are light and strong for added durability; 2.25 inch wide knobby mountain tires are ready for bumpy terrain
- This bike ships ready to be assembled, has a 5 year limited warranty, and the wheels measure 29 inches. Assembled Product Dimensions (L x W x H): 71.00 x 26.00 x 44.00 Inches
One of the great selling points of this particular bike is that it is available in a number of wonderful colours and contrasts. As such, you can find the type of style that suits you. There are a variety of different sizes too so you’ll be able to find the one that matches your needs. This is by far the cheapest option available from our list of products. But don’t let the price fool you. This is still a brilliant choice.
There are also a fantastic number of speeds to use. In fact there are 6 speeds on the 20’’ summit models and 18 speeds on the 26’’ models. If you buy a brand new bicycle, we are also thrilled to say that this bike does come fully assembled. You can virtually ride it straight out of the box and this is quite rare. If you buy a second-hand bike, then you will need to take it to a bike shop as the assembly is quite tricky.
Officially, this an all-terrain bicycle and it certainly lives up to that name. You’ll be able to ride it on a wide variety of different settings and never need to worry about losing your control.
There are a few minor issues with this bike. For instance, you’ll have to deal with quite a hard seat. However, this won’t bother everyone and if it does, then you can easily replace it.
We hope this helps you find the right bike for you. As you can see there is a wide range of possibilities. If you want to make sure that you get the best on the market, the BEIOU is certainly your number one option. However, budget-friendly alternatives like the Huffy Hardtail Summit Ridge will still serve you well.
- With a gloss red hardtail frame and 21 speeds to conquer the trails, the Huffy Summit Ridge is ready for outdoor adventures
- An Amazon exclusive: Ideal for ages 12-19 and a rider height of 58-70 inches; durable steel frame is backed by our limited lifetime warranty (see owner's manual for details); Kolo 1200 suspension fork handles bumps and dips for a smoother-feeling ride
- The indexed SHIMANO TZ-31 rear derailleur combines with the micro-shift twist shifter to deliver 21 speeds on-demand for uphill climbing, downhill riding, or pure acceleration; removable rear derailleur guard ensures consistent gear operation
- 24" x 1.95" knobby tires tear into dirt bikepaths with ease; linear pull hand brakes deliver consistent, stopping action; premium padded ATB saddle has stitched sides for lasting quality; alloy quick release provides easy seat height adjustment
- Slight-rise handlebar enables upright riding to minimize back and shoulder strain; ATB-type resin pedals on the 3-piece Kolo crank have responsive feel; Krayton grips remain comfortable to the touch; alloy wheels in matte black; kickstand included
Full Suspension Vs. Hardtail Mountain Bike
Here is a great YouTube video explaining the differences between full suspension bicycles and hardtail bikes: