The Top 7 Folding Electric Bikes of 2020 Reviewed
Electric bikes are perfect for commuters looking for an environmentally friendly mode of transportation. But there are times when you need to take another form of transportation during your commute, or want to bring your electric bike along with you for other activities. However, the traditional bike frame can be bulky and unwieldy, and the added weight of the battery and motor can make moving your electric bike that much more frustrating.
That’s where folding electric bikes come in. Made to be light, compact, and easy to move, folding electric bikes take the hassle out of your commute by being easy to store and easier to ride. But how can you choose the best folding electric bike for your needs? After all, with so many options on the market, it can feel overwhelming trying to find the right one for you.
That’s why we’ve gone ahead and pulled together the top 7 folding electric bikes on the market, so you can see your best options all in one place, along with their unique features. In a hurry? We’ve put the best of the best in the table below, so you can speed up your shopping experience. Looking for more in-depth reviews? Read on to find out why these are the seven best electric bikes on the market today!
The Best Folding Electric Bikes
As with any vehicle, from a normal bike to a car, it can feel overwhelming to try and compare the best options out there. Not to worry, we’ve put in the work and done the research, so you don’t have to. Read on to find the best folding electric bike for you!
A great bike, simple to assemble and you won’t need any instructions as you only really need to attach the pedals, the seat, the handlebars, the front tire and the front rack. The battery will need to be charged somewhat, and the tires inflated, but otherwise, once you get it, you should be good to go. The bike is solid and well made; it is fun to ride and provides you with a great workout. As an electric bike, you can self-power until you are tired and then kick in the electric power for a boost. This extra power can make all the difference to your bike ride and allows you to stay out that much longer to enjoy your ride.
The DJ handles rides on city streets, bike paths, and groomed trails quite well and is great for cruising as it has an upright riding position and a shock-absorbing seat post. The battery capacity offers plenty of range for zipping around the city, and the motor has impressive push as the power comes on. The bike performs really well, it’s very powerful and is great for going up hills too. Riding this bike makes hills and strong headwinds as fun as the rest of the experience.
The DJ is also perfect for storage, so if you live somewhere with limited space, then this bike is perfect as it can fit into a small cupboard or corner and will not get in your way. The DJ bike is a great value purchase, and while other bikes sell accessories, with the DJ, they come as standard issue.
- CERTIFICATION: DJ Bikes proudly being the bike shop passing the highest safety and quality standard recognized by industries and consumers in both the US and Canada. The bike frame, motor, battery pack, and charger all meet respective standards.
- STRONG POWER: 750W extending to 1000W peak power motor and battery empowers you getting any up long, steep hills.
- EXCELLENT PRICE: Direct to customers. All parts and accessories are included in the offer. Save gas and parking for a quick payback.
- HIGH QUALITY & WARRANTY: Stainless sporty aluminum frame, Bafang motor, Tun Gun suspension fork, Shimano gear and Tektro brakes as mainstream components. Manufacturer warranty applied.
- CANADIAN BRAND: DJ Bikes is a proud and warm Canadian brand. You will get excellent service and support that you need.
The Ecotric ebike comes 90% assembled so the final 10% you will have to do yourself or have someone do it for you. You only need to fit the pedals, seat, front fender and front tire, and attach the control module to the handlebars though so you can easily have it up and running in around 30 to 40 minutes.
This stylishly cool, yet rugged fat tire bike is lightweight, but at the same time, its incredibly strong and once fully charged the battery holds enough power to for the bike to travel up to 21 miles on a flat, paved road at a speed of up to 20 mph. This Ecotric electric bike is also fitted with Shimano 7-Speed external gears for a smoother and more comfortable ride. However, it does not have any suspension or shock absorbers so you will feel the bumps on rougher terrain. Both wheels are fitted with Tektro Novela Mechanical Disc 160mm Rotor brakes which are more than adequate for a bike of this size and speed.
Another major plus with this fat tire electric bike is that it can be ridden on virtually any terrain in both wet and dry weather conditions making it perfect for city streets, days at the beach and snowy mountain trails, as both the battery itself, and the inbuilt charging port are sealed against the elements.
- Strong driving force 500W Motor Battery: 36V 12ah Lithium Cell.Charging time: 6-8 hours. If you need a folding bike with a higher configuration and LCD display, you can search for the ASIN B07R24GKSP on Amazon.
- 20'' X 4.0'' Fat Tire For All Terrain.Front and Rear Disc Brakes Aluminum Frame.
- SIZE [Total length: 1768mm; The height of the bicycle's handle bar to the ground: 1150mm; The height of the saddle to ground (lowest/highest):840-990mm; Center distance of two wheels: 1185mm]. Small deviations may exist, but they will be within the margin of error.
- Max Speed20 Mph ( Shimano External 7 Speed Gear)
- Throttle Type : Variable Speed Control - 1/2 Twist Throttle
The EB5 is one of the most compact folding e-bikes around. It folds down pretty small, and you could probably fit two or three in the trunk of your car. However, you can’t roll the bike while it’s folded, so this can be annoying if you have to carry it around. The design is great as it looks just like a normal bike so people might not be aware that you are riding an electric bike because the battery is hidden inside the mainframe. The soft saddle and fat tires make the EB-5 pretty comfortable and will help you to deal with potholes without any significant pain on your bottom.
You can ride the bike either in pedal-assist or throttle mode. When you’re in throttle mode, you don’t need to use the pedals at all as the bike is fully powered by the motor on the rear wheel and the maximum speed you can reach is 15.5mph in this mode. If you want to ride faster, you just need to pedal, and the motor will kick in instantly. The EB5 has one speed only, and the gearing ratio is so low that you won’t have any problem climbing hills and you won’t be sweating at all.
This bike is a great option for city commuters; however, once the battery runs out, it takes a lot of effort even to ride on flat roads. Therefore, you need to check and recharge the battery before each long ride, even though it does boat an impressive battery mileage. The SWAGTRON EB5 Pro seems is a pretty perfect bike at a very affordable price with its compact and lightweight design, good-quality components and its comfort.
- Pre-assembled; the electric bike already comes pre-assembled so you won't have to waste time with complicated assembly and foreign bike parts
- Height adjustable for adults and teens; easily adjust the bicycle seat and handlebar to find the perfect position for a comfortable ride
- 14 inch wheels; a pair of air-filled rubber tires with quick-disconnect power lines ensure better traction and easy tire maintenance
- 15.5 mile range; ride your hybrid bike on full throttle to cruise up to 15.5 miles on a single charge by toggling between power assist and pedaling
The Ancheer e-bike is a cost-friendly bicycle and another budget choice, but it doesn’t skimp on quality. The Ancheer e-bike features an aluminum alloy frame and gives it a formidable build yet keeps it weight manageable. It is collapsible and requires minimal storage space, and you can comfortably transport it in your car. Offering a smooth ride, thanks to the decent overall geometry and a comfortable seat, the Ancheer features a 250 W motor which will get you up to 15.5 mph. It accelerates well, and you can have a really fun ride. What’s also great about this bike though is that even with the power switched off; it is still relatively easy to pedal which makes it an ideal bike if you want to use the bicycle for exercising.
The battery is also housed within the bike’s frame, which keeps it protected from elements, dirt, and other debris in the outdoors, helping to improve its durability. The charging time may be off-putting for some as it takes around 4-6hrs to get it back to full power. The bike is equipped with dual mechanical disc brakes which provide you with good stopping power at high speeds.
Overall, they do a good job on the trail, except for a little squealing when braking and the 26” wheels on the Ancheer e-bike offer you a stable ride with little feeling of drag. The 6-spoke design of the wheels helps to reduce the weight and improves the aerodynamics too.
- FOLDING ELECTRIC MOUNTAIN BIKE --- This bike adopts ultra-lightweight yet strong aluminum. Double shock absorption. Mechanical front and rear disc-brake design and 21-speed professional transmission system. Perfect climbing ability.
- ULTRA STRONG WHEELS --- 26 inch magnesium alloy integrated wheels with anti-slip resistant thick tire-- suit for trails, gravel, city streets, back roads, increases hill-climbing power, further range variation, and greater terrain adaptability.
- 3 WORKING MODES --- Ebike & Assisted bicycle & Normal bike. With the LED 3-speed smart meter button, you can choose the electric assist power according to your needs. You can add a burst of speed with the throttle, which is ideal for pulling away from traffic lights. Combining three modes would be a better choice.
- ELECTRIC SYSTEM --- Equipped with the 36V 8AH lithium-Ion front battery and 250W stable motor, you can reach a range of up to 15-30 miles at toppest speed 15-17mph per charge. Plenty for a days adventure or most trips to travel and back.
- SERVICE AVAILABLE --- This bicycle arrives 85% assembled. It's not hard to finish aseembly by yourself---Watch video on ANCHEER SPORT. The assembly service on this page is provided and charged by third-party company partnered with Amazon. If you can't finish by yourself, you can click and choose the service.
The SwagCycle Pro features almost the same design as the original SwagCycle, but its performance has been boosted significantly. The battery in the body is bigger, which has meant that the battery life has increased by over fifty percent. Featuring a more powerful 350-watt motor which boosts the top speed from 10 mph to 18 mph, the Pro version doesn’t have pedals, and it runs in the full-throttle mode only. All you need to do is to twist the handle grip on the right, place your foot on the pegs, and off you go on a pedal-free ride.
Featuring a compact design with a foldable stem and handlebar, the mainframe of the SwagCycle Pro is unfoldable, but the bike still can in the car so transporting it is not a problem, but probably still too bulky to carry on a bus or subway. The SwagCycle feels a little bit weird when you first try it, but after a few minutes, it’s really comfortable and manageable. It’s a fairly stable and responsive bike that you’ll be able to handle with ease and should feel pretty relaxed when riding it on paved roads.
The bike requires power to run, meaning that there is no backup solution and you will always need to check the battery before every ride. There is a compartment to store the charging cable in the battery, so make sure to place the cable back after every charge. A full charge takes around four hours.
- Robust and foldable; the e bikes sturdy frame can support up to 264 pounds and collapse its stem and handlebars for easy storage
- Extreme torque; tackle speeds up to 18 mph via app optimization and climb inclines up to 12 degrees on a powerful zero emission motor
- Long lasting charge; a single charge lets you traverse up to 15. 5 miles of thrilling adventures and new discoveries
- App control; connect your iOS or Android with the Swag Cycle 2 app to track your trip, speed, GPS location, and more
- USB port; plug your mobile devices into the electric bikes USB port to stay fully charged wherever you go
The Ancheer folding electric bike is an excellent option if you’re looking for a folding e-bike for short commutes. It is also an ideal way to incorporate exercise into your lifestyle. Compared to the bike or scooter without pedals in the market, you can ride when the battery is out. It’ll keep you fit, save the costs of running a car, but also protects the environment.
It’s a little bit heavy with the battery than a normal bike would be and not so easy to carry up and downstairs. The seat is adjustable but not so comfortable for long time riding, but you do have the option of changing to a more comfortable seat if you need to ride for a long time. This is a great e-bike, a fabulous price, easy to mount and so easy to ride with or without the assisted power. It makes a good family commuter bike.
- HIGH-QUALITY MATERIAL: The Folding mini ebike offers great style with a lightweight steel frame and high quality folding bike specific parts including folding pedals, integrated bell and LED Meter (Battery Power Indicator).
- REMOVABLE BATTERY: With the 36V 8Ah Lithium-Ion battery, you can travel 15 miles - 30miles on one charge. You can charge the battery on/off the ebike by your convenience. No worry for being stolen.It charges easily (4~6 hours).
- COLLAPSIBLE FRAME FOR EASY STORAGE: The sturdy folding frame can be folded down in seconds, which makes it great for camping or just putting in the back of your car.
- BRAKE & GEAR SHIFT SYSTEM: Machine front and rear disc brakes for reliable all-weather stopping power, ensure you safe riding. Single speed folding bike is for easy pedaling on the flat road.
- 2 WORKING MODES & SERVICE AVAILABLE : E-bike & Assisted bicycle. With one-year service for the electric motor, battery and other parts except for frame, no worry about using it. This bicycle arrives 85% assembled. It's not hard to finish aseembly by yourself. The assembly service on this page is provided and charged by Amazons third-party company, if you can't finish by yourself, click on the Select Assembly button above; choose "Ship to store for assembly and pick up".
It comes fully assembled, you simply have to unfold and lock everything in place, and you’re ready to go. You should easily be able to fit this bike folded in the boot of your car, and you can also install a child’s seat on it too.
It’s a quiet and smooth ride, and the speed is good for riding with kids.
- Pre-assembled: The folding electric bike is pre-assembled already, just take it out and go on road. NO need a complicated installation or the expert craftsmanship at all.
- Dual Disc Brakes: Shorter braking distance and your driving safety are ensured, as both the front & rear disc brakes are well equiped on your latest style electric bicycle.
- 3 Riding Models with Smart Meter: Three models of riding are available: Pure Electric Bikes, Power Assisted Electric Bikes and Regular Riding Bikes. Pedal the bike or twist the throttle to accelerate the bike in electric model. Real time speed will be shown on the smart meter with LCD backlight, clear view wheather on noon or night.
- Removable Battery: The electric bike battery can be removed and charged off the frame, easily charge it in your home or office and avoid the troubles perfectly of short charging cable or electric vehicles indoor prohibition. UL certificate safe lithium-ion battery, 36V 7.8ah, driving 15.5-30 miles per charge. Combined with 250W high speed brushless gear motor, easily assists your electric bikes go forward at max speed 15.5mph and conquer 25 inclines.
- Amazing Driving Feelings: Go at ease on any road whether in puddle or dust with Dual Bicycle Mudguards. Acrosing the building stairs easily with firm GRIP HANDLE. Safely driving in night with ringling electric bell, front and rear lights. Solving your any other trouble with our responsible Online Services.
Folding Electric Bike Purchasing Guide
Here are some of the key factors to keep in mind when looking to invest in a folding electric bike.
One thing to keep in mind when shopping for a folding electric bike is the overall weight of the bike itself. While it may not seem like much, if you find yourself having to transport around the bike, you’ll want something on the lighter side. Plus, the lighter the bike, the less energy spent propelling it forward, meaning you’ll have lower battery drain overall. Do keep in mind that the lighter the electric bike, the smaller the battery, meaning that you may have to charge your bike more frequently. This isn’t too much of an issue with power-assist bikes, but may pose a larger concern with a full-powered electric bike.
Full-Power vs. Power-Assist
Full-power electric bikes move without any pedaling and rely entirely on the motor and battery to get you where you want to go. Because of this, they tend to have larger batteries and move slower than power-assist electric bikes. With full-power electric bikes, you also need to worry about needing to charge your bike more frequently, which may be less than ideal for long commutes. They also use more energy depending on the terrain, so full-powered electric bikes may not be ideal for hilled commutes, or commutes that follow back roads.
Power-assist electric bikes are mainly powered by your pedaling, with the motor acting as a backup on steep hills or when you need a rest. They tend to be able to go much faster than their full-power counterparts, and can be used even when the battery has died. However, since you are providing a large amount of the power for the bike, there is a high chance you’ll work up a sweat on your morning commute, which is less than ideal for some commuters.
Folding Electric Bikes Frequently Asked Questions
How Fast Can Folding Electric Bikes Go?
The answer to this question largely depends on the bike. For full-power electric bikes, odds are your maximum speed will top out close to 20 mph, but for power-assist electric bikes, it all depends on how much you’re willing to pedal. If you are looking for a bike to speed up your daily commute, do your research to find out the top speed of each bike you have in mind before making the investment. Thankfully, in almost all cases electric bikes are faster than just walking to work, and arguably much more fun.
Are Folding Electric Bikes Safe?
The answer to this question is overwhelmingly yes. Electric bikes are as safe as a bicycle, and so long as you follow the operating instructions, you should be perfectly safe riding an ebike. Still, it is a good idea to wear protective gear, and follow all local traffic laws when riding an electric bike. Also keep in mind that some forms of transportation (such as flying) may not allow you to bring your folding electric bike with you due to its battery, but this only applies in unique cases such as when you go on vacation. For the most part, folding electric bikes are just as safe as any normal cycle, so long as you obey the rules of the road and recommended speed limits.
How to Choose the Right Folding Electric Bike for You
This video goes over all the different factors to consider when choosing a folding electric bike, and goes into detail on things like locking mechanism, portability, and more. Plus, as an added bonus a couple of adorable dogs photobomb the video, making it a win-win.