The Top 5 Entry Level Road Bikes
Looking for a new way to get fit? If so, you might want to think about buying a new road bike.
As cycling is a low-impact sport, many people find that it’s a way for them to get fit while also limiting their risk of injury. After all, you won’t be pounding the streets and putting impact and strain on your legs as you would if you started running. As cycling is a much more fluid motion, you will find that you can greatly improve your fitness without needing to worry about too many overuse injuries.
Not only will riding a road bike help you get fit, but it will also be a great way to get around as well! You won’t be so reliant on your car as you will be able to zip around on your bike when you only have to travel fairly short distances. You can even carry cargo if you make use of a bike trailer.
This will certainly be the most preferred mode of transport if you are trying to be more environmentally friendly as well. It’s even more eco-friendly when you compare it to public transport.
When you are looking for a new bike and you don’t have too much experience of cycling, it’s always best to start with an entry level one. This is important even if you have already have some experience of doing a different type of cycling, such as mountain biking. That’s not the same as cycling on the road, so you will find an entry level bike will help you get used to the different way of cycling a lot quicker.
If you are completely new to road cycling then you might not be too sure what you need to look for in your new entry level road bike. Generally speaking, you should mainly look at the material that the frame has been made with. The gears are also important as well, just as the wheelset. As long as you buy your new road bike from a trusted shop or seller, though, then they will be able to advise you on the best model for your needs.
Of course, it is always a good idea to do some of your own research first as well so that you can get a good idea of what is available on the market right now. To give you an idea of some of the best bikes that you might want to consider, here are some great entry level road bikes. Take a read through the reviews below and see which one catches your eye and has everything you’ve been looking for in a new bike.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Entry Level Road Bike is the Raleigh Bikes Merit 2.
Best Entry Level Road Bikes
For beginners, it is important to find a bike that is easy to use. High-end bikes may have many features, but that can complicate learning for those just getting started with cycling. To help you find a good bike with the right balance of features and ease of use, we combed through the latest models and came up with these picks for the best entry-level road bikes:
It doesn’t matter whether you plan on whizzing around town on your own or would rather join a cycling group to work on your endurance sessions, the Raleigh Bikes Merit is a nifty little number. It’s suitable for various uses out on the road, which makes this a popular all-round bike.
The bike weighs only 22.6 lbs, so as you can see it is very lightweight. It’s aluminum frame and fork will also help to keep it as slimline and light as well. But one of the most surprising features about this Raleigh Bikes Merit bike is its wide rims and clearance for its tires. These two features mean that it isn’t just an ideal road bike – this bike will also perform very well if you ever fancy the odd off-road jaunt as well. Of course, it won’t perform quite as well off-road as a bike that is made for it, such as a mountain bike, but it will still be fun to change up your terrain every now and then.
The price on the Raleigh Bikes Merit isn’t too bad either. Some entry level road bikes can be very expensive. It’s true that you might find this bike with a large price tag if you look to buy it brand new, but a second hand model should be very modestly priced indeed.
- Lightweight aluminum frame has built in rack and fender mounts
- Shimano Claris 8 speed shifters offer 16 gear combinations
- TRP Spyre C dual actuated mechanical disc brakes for great stopping power
- Clement Strada LGG 700x28c tires add stability and cushion your ride
- Pedals included; limited lifetime warranty on the frame for as long as the original retail purchaser owns the bicycle
If you are looking for a budget entry level road bike, then there is a very good chance that you have already heard about the Tommaso Imola as it is incredibly popular right now. You can usually buy these bikes brand new for around $600, which is a great price considering the brilliant features that it comes with. For instance, you’ll be able to benefit from the bike’s outstanding Shimano gears.
Of course, the gears aren’t the only reason to be impressed by the Tommaso Imola. It has a great lightweight aluminum body, so it will help you keep up to some of the top speeds when you are racing around. And thanks to the specially designed geometry of the frame, you will find that every ride is super comfortable. There’ll be no more sore behinds! This is largely because of the position of the handle bars. They are very shallow which will keep you comfortable when you are riding in a very low position.
You might be a bit worried that the low price tag of the Tommaso Imola means that it will have been made very cheaply. That isn’t the case, thankfully. If anything, these bikes have been made to last! There is no way this bike will break just after you buy it as it has been crafted with some of the finest aluminum and by expert bike makers. Plus, its two-year warranty means that you will still be covered in the unlikeliness of anything going wrong.
- YOU DON’T NEED TO SPEND MORE THAN $600: Because Tommaso is a direct to the consumer brand you can now get a bike with 100% Shimano gears, super lightweight aluminum frame, and lightweight wheels for under $600. Tommaso gives you value like no other brand. We provide a lifetime frame warranty and great service through our U.S. based customer service team.
- THE IMOLA IS AFFORDABLE PERFORMANCE, NOT ENTRY LEVEL: If you are just getting into cycling or returning after a long hiatus, this is your bike. New and returning cyclists don’t need “beginner bikes”, that won’t meet your needs or last. You deserve affordable performance! The Imola embodies the idea of affordable performance with a full Shimano groupset you hope is on bikes costing $100’s more. Compare the Imola’s specs with any bike, and you will see the difference between us and the competition
- STEP UP TO THE BRAND NEW SHIMANO CLARIS R2000: The Shifters, Derailleurs, Crank, and Brakes are all new 2018 Claris. R2000 Claris STI shifters now mimic 105 and Tiagra components up the line. Cables are routed under the bar for a clean look that shifts perfectly. Only bikes with integrated shifters and brake levers will perform at optimal levels. Don’t be fooled by imitators using off-brand cranks or shifters, they aren’t optimized for Shimano gearing and can’t deliver precision shifting.
- YOU DESERVE A COMFORTABLE RIDE: Our compact frame geometry offers a more relaxed position for all riding styles, with a shallow handlebar drop so that you can still be comfortable when riding in the lower handlebar position. We even added extra control on turns by equipping the Imola with wider 25mm, 700c road bike tires. Every part of the Imola is designed for maximum comfort and efficiency, so that you can get the most out of every ride
- BUILT TO LAST: All too often things are made cheaply and break before their time. We believe that bikes should be reliable and built to last. This is why we use the highest quality aluminum in our bikes, and back it with our industry leading lifetime warranty. We also use only Shimano components, which are backed up with Shimano’s two year warranty and are designed function better and last longer than anything else on the market. Ride with confidence, knowing your new bike was built to last!
This is a pretty standard drop-bar road bike that is a great choice for anyone wanting to take up cycling. It features an aluminum frame along with a carbon fiber road fork. The brilliant frame makes this bike the perfect option if you want to mix up your rides with some long endurance sessions and hilly sessions.
This is another road bike that comes with a very attractive price as well. You’ll be able to find a model in good shape for around $500, which is an absolute steal when it comes to entry level road bikes.
Lots of riders love the Schwinn Phocus 1600 because it helps them with their performance. It can reach some high speeds, so is perfect if you are thinking about starting to race. These top speeds along with the bike’s agility will certainly help you get straight to the front of the pack. You won’t have to worry about any uncomfortable vibrations when racing along either, as the lightweight frame is super durable so will keep you smooth in the saddle all day long. So, even your super-long rides will be very enjoyable!
- Schwinn aluminum road frame with Carbon fiber road fork
- Shimano Claris 16 speed derailleur with Micro shift integrated shift/brake lever combo
- High profile alloy double wall rims with paired spokes are lightweight and strong with front Quick release
- Promax alloy dual pivot caliper road brakes for great breaking power
- Alloy crank for wide gear range
One other entry level bike that you might want to consider is the Vilano Shadow 2.0. It’s an inexpensive model that won’t break the bank, but you will still get a reliable bike that can help you both improve your fitness and get from A to B. The bike’s frame comes in different sizes, so it’s worth thinking carefully about the best size for you. You will need to choose between 49, 53, and 57 cm. Measuring your height should make it easier for you to decide.
No matter which size frame you go for, it will be made from aluminum, which makes the bike quite lightweight as a result. You’ll also be in complete control of the bike too thanks to the Shimano shifter brakes. The bike is also very aerodynamic, so you shouldn’t struggle trying to get up to some top speeds.
- STI Integrated Brake Lever/Shifters offer precise and controllable braking and shifting in a convenient single unit designed for the road
- 6061 Double Butted Aluminum Aero Frame w/ Integrated Headset
- Fork: 700c 1 1/8" Threadless
- Wheelset: 700c Doubled Walled CNC Machined Side
- Free pedals included
All of the best entry level road bikes are lightweight, and the Goplus Road Bike is no different. Its aluminium frame is super light and will help you whizz around at some very high speeds. You won’t feel at risk when riding fast, though, as the bike is incredibly stable and durable, which will make for a smooth ride.
As well as that, this bike is very easy to assemble as well. It has some Quick-Release Front Wheels which will be easy for you to take on and off as and when you need to. This makes the bike incredibly easy to maintain. It will also come with 700c tires that can help you with your performance, especially if you decide to enter some races on the bike. The adjustable handle bar gives you the chance to put them exactly where you want them, so that you are always ready for the kind of ride you are going out on. So, if you want to race and enjoy some more leisurely rides, then this is a great entry level road bike for you.
- Light Weight: Constructed with aluminum reduces the weight of the bike and offers more benefits on quickness of speed. Easy meet the demands of adding the transferring power, doubling the riding efficiency and bringing an excellent racing experience.
- Sturdy Frame: Strong aluminum frame is up to the terrible road situations and the purpose for stable-riding can be fulfilled. It also provides comfortable and adjustable handle bar and seat post for you.
- Easy Installation: Quick-Release Front Wheels allow you easy to install, disassemble and maintenance, which enables you for convenient parking and storage. Its reasonable price does provide a high-quality performance of the bike itself.
- Premium Performance: Maximizes the daily riding enjoyment and provides safe and fast user experience. High-performance 700C tires can solve multiple challenges and problems of rigorous street racing. And the updated derailleur can perfectly meet your demand of everyday happy riding.
- Colorful Appearance: It possesses five fashionable colors, respectively black, blue, green, orange and red. Its attractive design meets your demand striving for keeping the pace with style.
There are a lot of different entry level road bikes out there, and some of them aren’t really that great. However, if you go with one from the reviews above, then you will be guaranteed a bike that allows you to tackle the roads in style and comfort. They’ll also give you the chance to beat your previous performances and personal bests as well!
We hope this review of the best entry level road bikes has been helpful. To maintain your road bike, be sure to invest in a good bike repair stand.
Road Bike Buyer’s Guide
Here is a great YouTube video explaining what you need to know about purchasing an entry level road bike: