The Top 7 Electric Bike Conversion Kits of 2020 Reviewed
If you are thinking of investing in a new electric bike, but can’t find an option that works for you, electric bike conversion kits are right up your alley. With a conversion kit, you can change almost any bike into an electric bike. This not only allows you to use almost any bike design for your electric bike, it can ensure you get a high-quality bike for the same price you would be spending on a low-end electric bike.
Electric bike conversion kits are as easy to use as changing a bike tire and allow you a wide range of freedom when it comes to designing your electric bike. One of the nice features of an electric bike conversion kit is you get to choose your own power supply in most cases, allowing you to customize the amount of power and charge length of your electric bike.
Once you make the decision to make your own electric bike, the next thing to consider is which kit is right for your unique needs. Thankfully, we’re here to help you make that decision. We’ve gone ahead and rounded up the best electric bike conversion kits on the market, so you can spend less time stressing over what kit to pick, and more time enjoying your new bike. In a hurry? Here is our table for the best electric bike conversion kits so you can jump right into building your new bike.
The Best Electric Bike Conversion Kits
It can be difficult to choose the right electric bike conversion kit for you. Here are our top choices, and what makes them the best of the best.
There is only one place to begin, and that is with the wheel conversion kit from iMortor. The reason for this is because it is fun! The ECO mode takes the edge off some of the bigger bridges and hills that you may have to tackle on your ride, yet you do not get deprived of the exercise benefits that come with riding. You can also shave a good 15 minutes off your commute to and from work if you switch to the high-power mode.
You will also find that the app is really easy to use and navigate as well. We also found that the battery indicator is very accurate as well on the wheel. Overall, this is definitely one of the best wheel conversion kits on the market, and you certainly won’t be disappointed if you decide to go for this one.
- Please Check Your Bike Type before Purchasing The Imortor 3.0 E-bike Front Wheel Kit fits 26"x1.95" bike with Disc Brake ,especially for Mountain Bike/ Cruiser. The Width Range of the Front Fork Should be within 8.5CM-11CM. The Width of Socket Groove should be 1CM, if not, Please polish it to the Proper Width Yourself
- Longer Battery Life The Detachable Lithium Battery of the Imortor 3.0 Electric Bike Front Wheel kit is upgraded from 3.2ah to 7.2ah which enables Longer Battery Life and Riding Distance: Rated Speed 25km/h, Max Range 40km
- 5 Speed ModesPhysical Exercise - 6.25-9.38/mile/h(10-15km /h) ,ECO - 9.38-12.5mile/h(15-20km /h) ,Economy- 12.5-18.75mile/h(20-30km /h) ,Sports - 18.75-21.88mile/h(30-35km /h), Climbing - 21.88-25mile/h(35-40km /h)
- Complete Authoritative CertificationWe have obtained CE, ROHS, MSDS, UL, UN38.3 and other safety certificates, which not only to provide you with high-quality products, but more importantly, to protect your safety. In addition, the E-bike front wheel is fully enclosed treatment and IP65 waterproof, which enables stronger waterproof performance
- Wide Compatibility and Packaging List The electric Front wheel is compatible with all bluetooth versions & Android / IOS systems. It also supports languages: Chinese, Korean, Italian, English. Includes whole front E-bike Front wheel (including tire), lithium battery, phone bracket, charger, installation accessories (as shown in the first figure)
You can choose from three different configurations when it comes to this wheel conversion. This includes the 48v 750w, 48v 500w, and 36v 500w. Out of all of the options, the 750w version tends to be the most popular, and this is because it offers great value for money.
As is the case with all of the e-bike kits that Bafang has created, you have the potential to install it on a hardtail mountain bike or full suspension bike to create an amazing electric mountain bicycle. There are a number of different components that come with this electric bike kit, including a motor unit with an integrated controller, as well as a bag of different Allen screws and bolts, speed sensor and wheel magnet, brake levers with cut-off sensors, and thumb throttle. You will also find a plastic chain guard, chainring, inner and outer lock-nuts, wiring loom, and an LCD display.
This is definitely a fantastic piece of kit. However, you do need to be mindful when it comes to it, as you cannot expect to use the throttle a lot and have the bike in full power mode all of the time.
- [Shipping & Warranty] --- Shipped by DHL, about 7 days deliver to your US address. 1 year warranty and provide technical support & after-sales service in the US. 24-hour online service.
- [Conversion Accessories] --- All necessary mounting accessories are included. Please see the packing list image. Notice: Brake levers can be changed to hydraulic and mechanical brake sensor--- search ASIN B07B8KNTYN, if you leave us a message about your requirements. But motors in Prime are only packed with brake levers.
- [Easy Installation] --- Can be successfully installed into an electric bicycle in just a few time by only a few tools which can remove the crankset and the center shaft, as well as tools for installing this mid-drive motor.
- [Standard JIS] --- Fit a standard JIS 68 - 73 mm bottom bracket (installing extra parts Gaskets as gifts), please see the installation image carefully. Suitable for mountain bike, road bike, commuter bike. This motor maybe can't be installed on fat tire bike. NOT recommended to apply this motor to bikes with carbon fiber frame in case of damaging the frame.
- [Two riding mode] --- Electric bikes & pedal bicycle, faster traffic & physical exercise can be achieved at the same time. A not bad choice for cycling enthusiasts and those who do not want too fast traffic to transport or travel. This 750W motor is the medium wattage motor of the Bafang BBS02B series, providing suitable power.
One of the things that we like most about this electric bike kite when compared with others on the market today is that it is very easy to install. Not only this but you are going to be able to use your own parts should you wish to do so, which will give you much more control over how you construct your new e-bike.
Once you take your kit out of the box, it is going to be easy to install right away. This means you can transfer an existing tire straight onto the setup of your motor. The kit comes in four different types, with LCD or LED display setups for either the rear or front wheel, with one that has a Pedal Assist Sensor. There is also optional freewheeling to enable near-instant switching between fully-motorized movement, powered-assisted pedaling, and regular pedaling.
Your current speed and traveled distance can be recorded via the in-built display, as well as the total wattage your motor is using and the battery level. You can also expect an excellent level of control when you use this conversion kit. It is also available for all wheels – front and bike – and this is not always the case with the other kits that are for sale on the market today.
- Please ensure you select a specific variant from size and style. By default, the first variant of each option will be selected. Easily convert your bicycle to an e-Bike. Kits are ready to install with aluminum double walled rim and hub motor already attached. All you need to do is to transfer original tire.
- Kits include all necessary components for installation; Motor/Wheel, controller, LED display, throttle, brake levers, pedal assist sensor, torque arm, and cable ties. Battery and tire is not included.
- Upgrade to LCD Display. It offers battery percentage, speed, total and single trip distance, wattage, PAS levels, headlight switch, and potential error codes for easier troubleshooting.
- Continue to pedal: Pedal Assist Sensor (PAS) allows you to ride without throttle response. You may choose to operate your e-Bike either way. Going on a lengthy trip? Avoid uncomfortable wrist positions and simply pedal anytime, anywhere.
- We offer a 3 month warranty on all components included in the conversion kit. We provide technical support and hassle-free returns, full refund or replacements. We strive to ensure your satisfaction in our service and products.
With this conversion kit from AW, you can expect a full LCD display, which monitors the battery power, gear settings, mileage, and speed of your bike. This gives you the ability to keep track of everything by just looking down at your handlebars.
You can also keep pedaling without losing the functionality of your motor thanks to the automatic Pedal Assistance System. This makes it one of the best choices for cyclists who do not want to make a permanent switch to a motor. This, coupled with the reinforced wheel and dual-mode motor, this means the kit is a perfect choice if you are fully certain about converting your bike.
There are a number of other advantages that are associated with this bike conversion kit when compared with other products that are available today. This includes the top speed, which is around roughly 45 KPH. You can also expect a longer life with this conversion kit by switching to a non-hall effect.
One of the things that we definitely like the most about this kit is that it comes with a number of different pieces. This means that you can easily fit it onto your bike, no matter the size or shape. All it takes is a bit of effort!
- Provides you with a whole wheel with tire, not just the tire frame
- LCD Display: to show battery power, time, speed, mileage and gears
- Pedal Assistance System (PAS): let you enjoy cycling while driving electric bike
- Dual Mode Controller: Motor works under Hall effect and non-Hall effect, extend life for electric bike
- Durable 600D Oxford cloth carrying bag along with a zippered main compartment for controller
Aside from the different bike conversion kits that have been mentioned so far, we have also been impressed with this conversion kit from Voliamart. If you are planning on transforming your regular bike into a brand new e-bike, we are sure you will be happy with this kit.
This electric bicycle conversion kit comes with a practical level display, a twist throttle, and a pedal assistance system. It also has a crank sensor, brake handles, a motor front wheels, and an intelligent motor controller. You also get one controller bag too. There is a manual that is included, and we have found that it is very easy-to-use. You will find all of the information you need about setting up this kit and using it properly, so you can get it set-up easily and quickly and start enjoying your new e-bike.
There are a number of other benefits that are associated with this bicycle conversion kit. This includes the fact that it works with both acid and lithium batteries. It features a 16-22 mph (25-35 km/h) motor, CE approved 36 V electrokinetic cell battery, as well as handlebars with a twist throttle.
- 48V 1500W Powerful brushless gearless motor with 34mph (55km/h) speed; Restricted to 750W and 24mph (38km/h) speed by default as a road-legal pedal bike conversion kit.
- Pedal Assistance System (PAS): enjoy cycling while driving electric bike with 551LB / 250KG Max Load Capacity.
- Brake Levers cut off the power supply to the motor safely; Twist throttle has battery level display
- Comes with all the components you need to a full conversion, including Rear Wheel(of 7 speed sprocket), Motor Controller, Cable Ties & Plastic Coil, Wire Hub, Twist Throttle, One Pair of Brake Handles, Manual. (Note: Battery not included)
- CE, EN15194 approved; 48 Volt electrokinetic cell battery with a nominal capacity not less than 14.5Ah is required.
Here, we have another reliable motor for your conversion. All of the requirements are provided with this e-bike, which makes it very easy to set up. The unit comes with a crack speed sensor. This will enable manual pedal assist and cut off the motor power, which makes it an incredibly efficient choice.
You can expect exceptional power to be generated with this product. This is because of a combination of rare-earth metal magnates, as well as a stainless steel spoke, alloy rim, and a Nylon tire. There is also a gearless power hub motor, which creates 500w which is great for your bicycle.
There are a number of reasons why we think that this e-bike is a great choice overall. It features durable construction, as well as an aluminum alloy for the electricity supply. It also produces 500w for your bike, and the crack speed sensor is a real benefit too. All in all, this is an e-bike conversion kit that definitely ticks a lot of boxes. We are sure that you will find this a great electric bike conversion kit.
- 48V 1000W and 750W super power brushless gearless hub motor, Restricted to 750W and 19.88mile/h by default as a road-legal kit
- Crank speed sensor for pedal assist, Aluminum alloy powerful controller
- Nylon tire& alloy rim& stainless steel spoke, Rare-earth metal magnates are used in the motor to efficiently produce large power
- Aluminum alloy powerful controller guarantee big current supply
- Twist throttle has battery level display and power-cut off button; Offer 100% satisfaction guarantee
Last but not least, we have the electric bicycle kit from Goplus. This is one of the most outstanding products on the market today, and you will see that a lot of feedback and reviews agree with this. This is because it comes with a number of useful and exciting features. This is an engine product that is powered with gasoline, featuring the utilization of a single-cylinder air-cooling engine. This enables you to easily upgrade your motorized bike, enabling you to drive at a faster rate.
The v-frame system enables you to move swiftly; this is where the speed of the bike comes from. The conversion kit does not demand a lot of energy and it operates without making noise. You don’t have to worry about any safety issues with this conversion kit either, especially as the igniter is electric.
You can also expect the bicycle converter kit to be straightforward and swift. The manufacturers include an instructional booklet that is really easy to use and it outlines all of the steps that you need to follow to set it up and use it properly. There are only a number of little adjustments that need to be made in order to enjoy the benefits of an e-bike.
Overall, this is an e-bike that comes with a number of different benefits. Not only do we love the fact that it is easy to assemble but it has simple wiring and it can also handle motors that are more powerful too.
- High Power & Strong Stability: The 48V and1000W high-power hub motor, allows this bike to reach the speed of 17.5-21mph, which will make you fully enjoy the pleasure of riding. The aluminum alloy central controller is firm and durable, allowing you to steadily control the start /stop, advance/retreat and speed of the motor, as well as other operation of this electric bicycle.
- Easy to Operate with LCD Display: The LCD allows you to keep track of the speed, mileage, and gear data at all times. You can freely adjust the speed as needed (5 gears available), or switch between the three riding modes: manpower, electric-power assistance and pure electricity, according to the road's conditions. These features will bring you a brand-new cycling experience.
- Energy Conservation & Environmental Protection: As a new form of transportation, the electric bike is powered by a battery that converts electrical energy into mechanical energy by using a motor. Unlike gas-fired vehicles, electric bicycles are environmentally friendly, as they save energy and reduce carbon dioxide emissions while consuming less electricity.
- Safety Design of Power Cut-off Brake Handle: The rear wheel electrical kit includes a power cut-off brake handle. As long as the controller detects the brake signal, the power supply will be disconnected immediately. On one hand, it will ensure your safety in case of an emergency and on the other hand, it will protect the motor and save electricity.
- Easy to Assemble & Cost-effective: It comes with all required components, including the rear-wheel, handlebar grips, controller, sensors and others. This product has a high-cost performance and the kit is easy to install just by following our step by step instructions provided in the package.
Electric Bike Conversion Kit Buying Guide
Full-Power vs. Power-Assist
When building an electric bike, keep in mind that you’re looking for in a motor. If you’re looking for a full-powered electric bike, you’ll need to invest in a specialized motor for that use, and most likely won’t work for regular pedaling anymore. These motors are also heavier, so you should consider what size battery you will need to power your bike without having to charge it frequently.
Power-assist motors are more common and allow you to pedal as your primary source of momentum, using the motor as a backup for hills or moments when you need a break. These are ideal for longer commutes, and usually last longer on a single charge. Since they do not need as much of a charge behind them, you can use a smaller battery without worrying about it going dead mid-ride.
Wired vs. Wireless
Some electric bike conversion kits are specially designed to be wireless. This not only speeds up the installation process, it makes it much easier for the average DIY enthusiast to put together. Wired conversion kits, on the other hand, do take a bit more know-how, but there are plenty of instructional videos available to make assembling your new electric bike easier than ever.
Electric Bike Conversion Kit Frequently Asked Questions
What Size Battery Should I Buy?
The answer to this question depends largely on how fast you want your electric bike to go, and how long you are looking to go between charges. The average electric bike battery is a lithium-ion battery that produces between 24 and 72 volts. The larger the battery, the heavier it is, meaning you’ll want to take the weight into consideration when calculating your overall distance per charge.
What Kind of Bike Works Best?
You want to convert a lighter bike, if possible. The lighter the weight of the frame, the less power needed to move the bike, making it use less energy overall. However, keep in mind that flimsy wheel spokes may be more likely to break, as they can be weakened by the added strain from the motors. Still, most bikes should be able to be converted into an electric bike with the right kit, though more complex gear systems may pose some difficulty depending on the electric conversion kit.
Electric Bike Conversion Kit Considerations
Looking for more information on conversion kits? Check out this video below for an in-depth explanation for what to expect when converting your normal bike to an electric bike.