The Top 5 Commuter Electric Scooters Reviewed
While we enjoy traveling the byways at our leisure, almost no one is a fan of commuting to work, especially on the public commuter lines.
Most commuter rails and buses are packed during rush hour, and you find yourself sitting (or standing) shoulder-to-shoulder with stressed adults all running late for work.
For some, biking or walking is the commuting alternative, of choice, but biking to and from work can get exhausting, and leave you with a bike to try and store near your workplace. That’s where electric scooters come into play.
If you thought scooters were just for middle school children, you’d be wrong. Electric scooters are made for all ages and are a compact, easy way of getting two and from your work without having to worry about a bulky bike. Plus, unlike walking or biking, the electric scooter does the work for you, allowing you to sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.
Most electric scooters operate off of a rechargeable battery, which is easy to recharge after your workday and commute are over. Plus, most electric scooters can travel at close to 20 MPH, much faster than the average walking speed. This makes them the perfect investment for commuting to and from work without breaking a sweat, all while enjoying the fresh, open air instead of being stuck inside a bus or train line.
Electric Scooter Comparison Table
We go over the features, pros, and cons of all the units in our roundup of top electric commuting scooters below, but for those in a hurry here are our top choices:
Best Commuter Electric Scooter
We realize you are in a hurry to get to work, so without further ado, here are the best commuter electric scooters.
- Version 2 - HandBrake, Cruise Control, Reinforced Frame and Lock Mechanism
- 8.5" PNEUMATIC TIRES - Making the GXL the ultimate commuting scooter for overcoming treacherous city streets
- 250 WATT MOTOR - Our most powerful scooter yet, the GXL has a top speed of 15.5MPH and holds a maximum of 220 lbs
- 36V BATTERY - The GXL travels up to 9-12 miles and recharges in about 4 Hours
- PORTABLE DESIGN - The GXL Frame folds down and locks for easy storage making it a perfect commuting scooter
While the charging time for this product is slightly higher than some of our earlier entries to this list at 5 hours, the over 18-mile use distance per charge makes up for the added charge time, hands down. As an added bonus, this scooter has a weight range of up to 220 lbs. This scooter also comes with an energy-saving braking system meant to extend your battery life. As one reviewer pointed out, “Braking is great. The front wheel uses some type of regenerative braking that charges the battery, the back disk brake adds kinda a trail braking effect.” If you’re looking to commute to work in style, this scooter is right up your alley.
- [EXTREMELY FAST AND LONG-RANGE BATTERY LIFE] - A 250W motor propels the e-scooter to a max speed of 15.5 MPH. High capacity battery with a maximum travel range of up to 18.6 miles under specific conditions
- [PORTABLE FOLDING DESIGN] -Weighs just 26.9 lbs. Portable folding design for easy storage at home or hand carry when necessary.The sturdy frame is made of aerospace-grade aluminum
- [DOUBLE BRAKING SYSTEM] - Features a disc braking and eABS regenerative anti-lock braking system for an efficient, responsive braking distance of just 13.1ft.The large 8.5-inch front
- [INTUITIVE AND EASY-TO-LEARN] - Intuitive controls simplify learning and use for all ages while improving safety. The scooter frame, components and accessories use the same geometric design language
- [INTELLIGENT DESIGN]-The minimal yet modern design of Mi Electric Scooter has been awarded the prestigious Red Dot "Best of the Best" Award, as well as the iF Design Award 2017
This biggest downside for this scooter is the battery charge time. While other electric scooters boast a charge time of around 3 to 4 hours, this scooter takes a full 12 hours to recharge or more. However, unlike other electric scooters, this scooter can handle an up to 40-minute constant driving speed, making it ideal for those slightly longer trips that would take forever when on foot. While this little scooter is not ideal for traveling up and down hills, as one reviewer said, “I take this to and from work (25 minutes each way) and it has yet to die on me! It’ll definitely slow down by the end of the journey, but it hasn’t failed me yet.” If you’re looking for a scooter to introduce you to the joys of commuting using an electric scooter, this product will not disappoint.
- Boasting a high-torque, ultra-quiet chain-driven motor, and a handy twist-grip throttle
- Uses a simple kick start motor and can travel at powerful speeds up to 10 mph
- Powered by a long lasting rechargeable 24V Seal battery system
- Features a hand operated rear brake, spring loaded kickstand, and a 8-inch pneumatic front tire for a smooth ride
- Scooter includes with a UL Approved battery charger, and all the tools needed for its light assembly
As another bonus, this commuter scooter weighs in at 28 pounds, which is easily manageable with the help of the dolly system. This scooter has a maximum speed of 15 MPH, and a maximum distance per charge of 15 miles, making it slightly less efficient and speedy than some of the options on this list. Still, its portability and overall sleek design make it perfect for the commuter looking to take some of the hassles out of the end of their daily commute. According to one reviewer, “This scooter is extremely useful, has saved me many hours of time I would’ve had to spend walking or waiting for shuttles, and is very enjoyable to ride.” However, the largest complaint from buyers is that the scooter itself does not come with a covering case as shown in the pictures, but that can easily be purchased separately to cover the scooter when in the dolly configuration.
- Premium 36V, 7.8ah Lithium Ion Battery composed of 30 LG NMC 18650 cells (3.5 hrs charge time).
- Quiet 250 Watt Nameplate (600 Watt Peak) Brushless, Gearless, Chainless DC Hub Motor. Military Tech Honeycomb Never Flat Airless Rubber Tires
- Patented Dolly and Vertical Self Standing Feature. Folded you can walk with it like a roller bag suitcase.
- Electronic Antilock Maintenance Free Brake Located in the Rear Hub Motor
- Speed 15 MPH; Range 15 Miles per charge; Charger and Pedestrian Bell now included. Canvas scooter cover sold separately.
Unlike many of the lighter weight models of scooters, this scooter does come in at almost 30 pounds weight wise, but the collapsible design makes up for the slightly heftier build. Overall, this is a great beginner scooter for anyone looking to start using a scooter on their daily commute. But don’t just take our word for it. As one satisfied Amazon customer put it, “Overall I do love the scooter. It’s VERY quiet. Battery life is good, goes up to 20mph on smooth roads and the lights are beautiful.”
- 【8.5-inch Air Filled Tire】Explosion-Proof / Wear-Resistant / Shock Absorption. Through Laboratory Vibration Testing And Wear Testing, the 8.5-inch Air Filled Tires Increase The Comfort Of The Car And Ride Comfortably, With Excellent Wear Resistance. Even in bad road conditions, it can be perfectly controlled.
- 【Portable Folding Design】Weighs just 28.5 lbs which is great for convenient commuting. Portable folding design for easy storage at home or in car trunks and closets, beneath subway seats, and inside other compact spaces or hand carry when necessary. Making it a perfect commuting scooter.
- 【Aerospace-Grade Aluminum Frame】The TOMOLOO electric scooter features a rugged aerospace-grade aluminum frame capable of supporting riders up to 220 pounds.
- 【Strong Power & Long Battery Life】A 250W motor propels the e-scooter to a max speed of 15.5 MPH. High capacity battery with a maximum travel range of up to 18.6 miles under specific conditions and rolling over INCLINES as steep as 20 degrees. Recharge the power scooter's Li-ion battery in 3.5 hours.
- 【Double Braking System】Features a disc braking and eABS regenerative anti-lock braking system for an efficient, responsive braking distance of just 13.1ft.
Using An Electric Scooter For Commuting
If the thought of using a scooter to commute is foreign to you, here is a good YouTube video testimonial from someone who uses an electric scooter to travel to work:
Whether you’re looking to cut down on your time on public transport or make traveling from the commuter lot to your work that much more enjoyable, an electric scooter for commuting can help take your workday from boring to a blast in no time.