The Top 5 Commuter Electric Scooters Reviewed
While we enjoy traveling the byways at our leisure, almost no one is a fan of commuting to work, especially on the public commuter lines.
Most commuter rails and buses are packed during rush hour, and you find yourself sitting (or standing) shoulder-to-shoulder with stressed adults all running late for work.
For some, biking or walking is the commuting alternative of choice (check out our review of the best hybrid bikes for more info), but biking to and from work can get exhausting, and leave you with a bike to try and store near your workplace. That’s where electric scooters come into play.
If you thought scooters were just for middle school children, you’d be wrong. Electric scooters are made for all ages and are a compact, easy way of getting two and from your work without having to worry about a bulky bike. Plus, unlike walking or biking, the electric scooter does the work for you, allowing you to sit back and relax and enjoy the ride.
Most electric scooters operate off of a rechargeable battery, which is easy to recharge after your workday and commute are over. Plus, most electric scooters can travel at close to 20 MPH, much faster than the average walking speed. This makes them the perfect investment for commuting to and from work without breaking a sweat, all while enjoying the fresh, open air instead of being stuck inside a bus or train line.
Electric Scooter Comparison Table
We go over the features, pros, and cons of all the units in our roundup of top electric commuting scooters below, but for those in a hurry here are our top choices:
Best Commuter Electric Scooter
We realize you are in a hurry to get to work, so without further ado, here are the best commuter electric scooters.
Lightweight, compact, durable tires and design, and a 4 hour charge time—what more could you ask for in a commuter scooter? This scooter weighs in at 26.4 lbs and has a max speed of 15.5 MPH for those longer commuting trips. As mentioned before, the durable tires are made for traveling over less-than-ideal terrain between you and your office, making them perfect for sidewalks, roads, and side paths. With a dual braking system, you will feel in full control of this scooter every time you use it. And with variable travel speeds, you can take it nice and easy or travel at the maximum speed, the choice is yours. While this little scooter doesn’t go as far as some heavier scooters do on a single charge, what it lacks in battery it makes up for inconvenience and design. The sleek black build and light frame make it perfect for carrying up staircases and transporting when not in use, and the short battery charge time means you can give it an added boost of battery while still at work. As one commuter mentioned on Amazon, “I got this to help with my commute and I didn’t realize it would be so much fun. This thing flies! and it folds down really small so I can stash it under my desk.” So take some of the stress out of your morning commute and invest in this scooter, you won’t regret it.
- Version 2 - Handbrake, Cruise Control, Reinforced Frame and Lock Mechanism
- 8. 5" PNEUMATIC TIRES - Making the GXL the ultimate commuting scooter for overcoming treacherous city streets
- 250 WATT MOTOR - Our most powerful scooter yet, the GXL has a top speed of 15. 5MPH and holds a maximum of 220 lbs.
- 36V BATTERY - The GXL travels up to 9-12 miles and recharges in about 4 Hours. Height from Handlebars to Deck-38 inch
- PORTABLE DESIGN - The GXL Frame folds down and locks for easy storage making it a perfect commuting scooter
The next scooter in our roundup is the X7 from Turboant. This sharp scooter is definitely a rising contender in the electric scooter field, and boasts a number of impressive features. One of the most important is the 350 Watt motor on this scooter – the second strongest in our roundup. This power plant allows the X7 to go up to 16 miles on a single charge, and tackle inclines as steep as 15 degrees. The top speed of this scooter is a quick 20 miles per hour, which means you can get to and from work in a hurry.
Another feature we like is the simple folding mechanism that allows you to store your X7 once you reach your destination. This scooter can be stowed in only three seconds, which means no fumbling with complicated connectors during setup or take down.
The LED display on the Turboant is great – it allows you to see your speed and battery charge level even in bright daylight. This is a significant improvement over some of the other scooters in our roundup, which don’t even give you a hint about how fast you are traveling.
The battery pack for the Turboant X7 is removable, which we found to be very convenient. A removable pack means you can charge it while in the scooter, or take it with you (say, to your desk) and replenish your power while you work.
Overall, we are very impressed with all the X7 has to offer. It is one of the more expensive units in our collection, but given all the features it offers we feel it is still a bargain. If you are in the market for a commuting electric scooter Turboant should definitely be on your shortlist.
- 【DETACHABLE LONG-RANGE BATTERY】 The imported lithium-ion battery is globally covered by Product Liability Insurance. Its exclusive detachable structure allows you to bring the battery for flexible charging everywhere without the need to carry the whole scooter. Travel up to 16 miles (26 km) under specific conditions on a full 4-6 hour charge.
- 【POWERFUL 350-WATT MOTOR FOR HIGH SPEED】The 350 W electric hub motor allows for speeds up to 20 mph (32 km/h), and easily tackles 15° steep hills and other obstacles. 3 speed settings allow you to freely select the speed you desire, and a triple braking system ensures safety while braking.
- 【COMFORTABLE RIDING EXPERIENCE】Large 8.5'' tubeless pneumatic tires are fuel-efficient and anti-puncture, which brings you a smooth ride by absorbing great shock on uneven road. The cruise control mode allows you to release your thumb by maintaining a constant speed. Super bright LED headlight and taillight allow for safe nighttime riding.
- 【FOLDING & PORTABLE DESIGN】A 3-second folding system makes the scooter more portable and space-saving. The sturdy aluminum alloy frame is durable and rust-resistant, reliably supporting a max load of 275 lbs (125 kg).
- 【UL APPROVAL】The TURBOANT X7 Electric Scooter is certified by UL LLC, a global safety certification organization. If you have any quality problems within 1 year, please feel free to contact us for after-sales services.
One of the lightest scooters on our list, this scooter is sleek, efficient, and easy-to-use. Weighing in at under 27 pounds, this scooter has an easy flip, fold, clip compaction system that means you can go from riding to walking in 3 seconds flat. Talk about convenient! With both headlights and taillights to help increase your visibility, this scooter works well on later in the evening commutes to help you get across large parking lots or down less-than-lit sidewalks with no issue.
While the charging time for this product is slightly higher than some of our earlier entries to this list at 5 hours, the over 18-mile use distance per charge makes up for the added charge time, hands down. As an added bonus, this scooter has a weight range of up to 220 lbs. This scooter also comes with an energy-saving braking system meant to extend your battery life. As one reviewer pointed out, “Braking is great. The front wheel uses some type of regenerative braking that charges the battery, the back disk brake adds kinda a trail braking effect.” If you’re looking to commute to work in style, this scooter is right up your alley.
- [SCOOTER REPAIR PROGRAM]- Launching of Repair Programme for M365 Mi Electric Scooter with the Hook Made of Aluminium Alloy. Contact Xiaomi Support for more information
- [EXTREMELY FAST AND LONG-RANGE BATTERY LIFE] - A 250W motor propels the e-scooter to a max speed of 15. 5 MPH. High capacity battery with a maximum travel range of up to 18. 6 miles under specific conditions
- [PORTABLE FOLDING DESIGN] -Weighs just 26. 9 lbs. Portable folding design for easy storage at home or hand carry when necessary. The sturdy frame is made of aerospace-grade aluminum
- [DOUBLE BRAKING SYSTEM] - Features a disc braking and eABS regenerative anti-lock braking system for an efficient, responsive braking distance of just 13. 1ft. The large 8. 5-inch front
- [INTUITIVE AND EASY-TO-LEARN] - Intuitive controls simplify learning and use for all ages while improving safety. The scooter frame, components and accessories use the same geometric design language
The Razor E100 Electric Scooter’s best selling feature is its size. This tiny scooter packs a fair amount of punch, able to reach speeds of up to 10 MPH. If you’re looking for a simple, easy-to-use scooter, this is the perfect option. Coming in at a lower price point than most of the scooters on this list, this tiny powerhouse is perfect for anyone who isn’t sure they’ll take advantage of their new set of wheels that often.
This biggest downside for this scooter is the battery charge time. While other electric scooters boast a charge time of around 3 to 4 hours, this scooter takes a full 12 hours to recharge or more. However, unlike other electric scooters, this scooter can handle an up to 40-minute constant driving speed, making it ideal for those slightly longer trips that would take forever when on foot. While this little scooter is not ideal for traveling up and down hills, as one reviewer said, “I take this to and from work (25 minutes each way) and it has yet to die on me! It’ll definitely slow down by the end of the journey, but it hasn’t failed me yet.” If you’re looking for a scooter to introduce you to the joys of commuting using an electric scooter, this product will not disappoint.
- 24V (two 12V) sealed lead acid rechargeable battery system
- Twist-grip acceleration control and ages 8 and up; Handlebar: Height 22 (552 mm)
- Boasting a high-torque, ultra-quiet chain-driven motor, and a handy twist-grip throttle
- Uses a simple kick start motor and can travel at powerful speeds up to 10 mph
- Features rear wheel drive for increased traction and control
This scooter answers the issue of walking around with your scooter once your commute is finished. With a collapsible design that converts into a rolling dolly set up so you can carry your scooter like you would a rolling suitcase, this scooter is perfect for short commutes and making the trip from one commuting location to another. Its economically-friendly charging system allows you to go upwards of 500 miles on just $1 worth of electricity.
As another bonus, this commuter scooter weighs in at 28 pounds, which is easily manageable with the help of the dolly system. This scooter has a maximum speed of 15 MPH, and a maximum distance per charge of 15 miles, making it slightly less efficient and speedy than some of the options on this list. Still, its portability and overall sleek design make it perfect for the commuter looking to take some of the hassles out of the end of their daily commute. According to one reviewer, “This scooter is extremely useful, has saved me many hours of time I would’ve had to spend walking or waiting for shuttles, and is very enjoyable to ride.” However, the largest complaint from buyers is that the scooter itself does not come with a covering case as shown in the pictures, but that can easily be purchased separately to cover the scooter when in the dolly configuration.
- Patented dolly and vertical self-standing feature with 1-second foot-actuated folding.
- Electronic anti-lock brakes and rear fender foot activated press brake.
- Front fork suspension for a smooth and comfortable ride.
- Clean, quiet, gearless hub motor powered by a 36 volt 7.8 ah lithium-ion battery.
- A portable, personal electric vehicle. Cover sold separately.
This is a good introductory scooter for the commuter looking to take scootering to work for a test drive. The controls are simple to use and easy to adjust to, with a readout screen on the top handle area of the scooter. The lithium battery pack allows you to go further on a single charge, and with an energy-saving braking system that converts the lost kinetic energy into extra juice for your scooter, you’ll be hard pressed to find yourself with a dead battery. The internal battery system has a full recharge cycle of 3.5 hours, making it easy to recharge while at work or while relaxing at home. And with a maximum speed of 15.5 MPH, this little scooter can get you further faster than you would on foot.
Unlike many of the lighter weight models of scooters, this scooter does come in at almost 30 pounds weight wise, but the collapsible design makes up for the slightly heftier build. Overall, this is a great beginner scooter for anyone looking to start using a scooter on their daily commute. But don’t just take our word for it. As one satisfied Amazon customer put it, “Overall I do love the scooter. It’s VERY quiet. Battery life is good, goes up to 20mph on smooth roads and the lights are beautiful.”
- 【Powerful brushless Motor & 8.5-inch Air Filled Tire】The e scooter boasts a 500W high-temperature resistant brushless motor, which satisfies a 15.5 MPH max speed and a 15.5 miles max range , one button controls and switches three gears speed. 8.5-inch pneumatic tires increase ride comfortably feeling, and have excellent wear resistance.
- 【Lightweight Frame & Portable Design】Solid Folding electric skateboard design, complete the folding action just in three steps. 28.4LBS net weight Lengthen and lightweight frame, pick up with one hand, easy to bring into the elevator, bus, subway, car trunk.
- 【The largest pedal space of similar products】47 inch Lengthen body, the largest pedal space of similar products, the height of the pole fully considers the human body standing, ergonomic design, more comfortable and smoother riding experience.
- 【High-bright Lights & dual braking system】 The UL2272 certified TOMOLOO adult scooter is equipped with high-bright headlights, colorful ambient lights and warning taillights, ensuring safer riding when at night. Mechanical disc braking and eABS regenerative anti-lock dual braking system, provide multiple guarantees for riding safety.
- 【Intelligent design】The Tomoloo lightweight electric bicycle equipped a smart dashboard, fireproof material pure ternary lithium battery, fixed speed cruise, brake energy recovery system, and provides one year of online technical guidance.
Using An Electric Scooter For Commuting
If the thought of using a scooter to commute is foreign to you, here is a good YouTube video testimonial from someone who uses an electric scooter to travel to work:
Whether you’re looking to cut down on your time on public transport or make traveling from the commuter lot to your work that much more enjoyable, an electric scooter for commuting can help take your workday from boring to a blast in no time. For other scooter options, be sure to check out our list of the best knee scooters.