The Top 5 Climbing Pants
As climbing puts a lot of strain on budding adventurers, it’s vital that the clothing be supportive and maneuverable in equal measure. Pants have to be well designed, and able to withstand anything you throw at it. While you could put on a general pair of pants, when it comes to climbing on really ragged and dangerous rock, you need something to keep you mobile. Here are some of the best on the market to peruse.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best climbing pants are the prAna Stretch Zion Pant.
Best Climbing Pants
The best pants are comfortable in numerous climates, and this is where they come into their own. As a super soft nylon fabric that’s stretchable, it can be a perfect fit for almost anyone. The features are numerous, from a low profile waist tightener, as well as a dual zippered cargo pockets, these have plenty of maneuverability. Not only are they incredibly comfortable, and provides a great fit, they give you enough room in which to undertake the vast majority of outdoor activities, including climbing and hiking. Giving you the option for warm and cold weather, the pant legs snap up with minimal effort which will help you in adverse weather conditions. While the limited breathability could make you feel that it’s a bit stuffy, there are small vent holes in the crotch area to help minimize heating up too much, but they work wonders when you are in the middle of cold weather. When you are looking at the water resistance side of things, the DWR coating and 97% nylon weave fabric can highlight that it’s pretty durable in any wet weather, but the water resistance can wear away if you wear them too much. The fabric tends to absorb water, especially in a heavy downpour, so if you are venturing through tropical climates, you need to bear this in mind, but also, not wear them too much in wet climates. As well as the cargo zipper pocket on the side of the leg, the dual-access thigh pockets provide an extra opportunity for additional valuables and items. Overall, a great set of pants, and while they retail around the $85 mark, they are still worth the money. Ensure that you make the most out of his pants in hot weather, be careful when it comes to wet conditions, but anywhere else, and they will be perfect. Pair these pants with a good pair of bouldering shoes and you will be ready to scale anything!
- The original Stretch 'Zion' fabric with durable water repellent (DWR)
- Abrasion resistant; Roll-up leg snaps; UPF 50+
- Angled dual entry cargo pocket
- 97% Nylon/3% Spandex
2. Ucraft Xlite
Price is always a vital component, and while $55 is the norm for this type of pant, it is value for money, especially when you consider what it’s got going for it. Freedom of movement is the name of the game with this set of pants; this stretchable material gives you so much more opportunity to maneuver, especially during difficult climbs. The design gives you the opportunity to cool off your ankles, as this knicker design promotes maneuverability, and as the lightweight design means that you’re not able to add much in the way of items and valuables into any of the four pockets without feeling weighed down, if you’re looking for a set of practice pants, this should form part of your collection. Comfort wise, you can adjust the fit, and the nylon and spandex material gives you a lot of breathability which is a lifesaver in extremely hot weather. As you need more range of movement, the stretchy design gives you a greater range of movement, and the nifty feature on the set of pants is the future loops. These give you the opportunity to hang your brush, cams, and chalk bag on to them, rather than time them onto your harness. Ultimately, they do provide a lot of facilities, but the cut off design can feel a little bit of a hindrance, but with the maneuverability in the rest of the pants, as well as the opportunity to store items in the full pockets, it’s a small point. Ultimately, these are great value for money, and for a versatile pair of pants, you really get what you pay for and at $55, there are so many pants that don’t provide nearly as much for almost double the cost, so if you’re looking for something that works great in a hot climate, but still delivers the goods, this works great.
- AVAILABLE AS PANTS AND KNICKERS for hot and cold environment. We recommend having both. GREAT FOR ANY ACTIVITY like Climbing, Bouldering, Yoga, Running, Tai Chi, Capoeira, Slacklining, Trampolining, Camping etc.
- DESIGNED BY CLIMBERS for maximum performance: lightweight, stretchy, durable, adjustable, 4 outer pockets (2 zipped) chalk bag & brush loops.
- BREATHABLE AND DURABLE STRETCHY FABRIC protects you from scratches. Combination of 92% polyester and 8% Spandex makes them light, stretchy, breathable, quick drying and durable.
- ANKLE DRAWSTRINGS make them fit any inseam and allow any leg movements keeping pants always in place. Natural thin elastic waistband feels great under the harness.
- 2-YEAR WARRANTY. Pants are covered with the unconditional 2-year warranty. If normal wear and tear will result in any damage, just contact us and we will send you a new pair.
If you’re looking for a very stylish looking pant, you would be hard pressed to find anything else. Its versatility and comfortable cotton fabric mean that you can take it pretty much anywhere. This gives you such a wide range of scope that performs well in numerous outdoor activities. The one place where it can fall down his height gig, as it can be a little bit too restrictive. But, this is always down to the person that wears the pants, and not necessarily the design. The comfort is down to the combination of fabric 75% cotton, 23% nylon, and 2% elastane makes it feel very smooth against the skin. And this makes it lend well to more relaxing outdoor activities, not necessarily hiking or climbing, but they do work very well in more arduous activities. The features boast four mesh lined pockets, meaning that it can help air flow between the skin and material of the pence, and the cuffs being able to be rolled up and snapped into place with small plastic buttons memes that you can make the most of them regardless of the weather, offering maximum comfort. Due to the cotton forming the vast majority of the materials blend, they don’t work so well in wet weather, which is hardly a surprise. It can fall down in cooler climates as well. But if you’re going for more relaxing outdoor activities, or are training inside on a hangboard, you will fare better. At $90, and as they are a little bit more expensive than most pants out there, you could find this a bit of a stretch, but as far as breathable fabric is concerned, in combination with the effortless style it shows off, it’s a simple option, just as long as they fit you. There are so many pants out there that don’t look fashionable at all, and if you are looking to be fashion conscious while you scale a rock surface, this will work well for you.
- Mountain Hardwear Size Guide
- For adventurers driven toward storm-threatened summits, these Mountain Hardwear Pants provide protection in a lightweight, highly packable construction.
- Regular fit is relaxed, but not sloppy, and perfect for everyday activities.
- Stretch-canvas fabric delivers excellent breathability and next-to-skin comfort for a variety of adventures.
- Slant hand pockets with two back patch pockets. 75% cotton, 23% nylon, 2% elastane. Machine wash warm, tumble dry medium. Imported. Measurements:Waist Measurement: 32 in Outseam: 42 in Inseam: 32 in Front Rise: 10 in Back Rise: 15 in Leg Opening: 14 inProduct measurements were taken using size 32, inseam 32. Please note that measurements may vary by size.
A great set of pants for the more adventurous of outdoor activities, rock climbing. Its lightweight material, and slim fit means that any climber out they can benefit from the effortless design. The two front arms and two rear pockets provide ample storage, but while the slim fit may not work so well for certain people, with the right person wearing them, there is no sense of restriction. The integrated toothbrush sleeve, although a superfluous addition, will at least keep your toothbrush protected from the elements! And the articulated knees add that extra bit of comfort. Ultimately, you need to bend your legs without the bottom of the trousers moving, and when maneuverability is vital at a split second notice, this will deliver the goods. Retailing at $95, this is the upper reach when it comes to many budding outdoor enthusiasts’ fashion budget. And while its brick/lake color won’t win any fashion competitions, the stretch material combined with breathable synthetic fabric means that it will provide the goods where it counts! You could definitely go for pants of much worse quality in this price range.
- STRETCH MATERIAL-Beat the heat with lightweight, breathable synthetic fabric; these mens climbing pants are cut for movement whether it be hiking or climbing
- FLEXIBILITY-The diamond gusset crotch allows for easy high-stepping and heel-hooking maneuvers without restriction; Articulated knee feature further increases flexibility and range of motion
- STAY COMFORTABLE-Comfort elastic waistband is simple and functional for the active man, allowing you to stay out on the boulders, crags and walls all day
- VERSATILITY- These durable rock climbing pants are versatile and suitable for hiking as well as climbing; Integrated toothbrush sleeve; 2 front pockets and back pockets each for small essentials
- HIGH PERFORMANCE-La Sportiva's mission is to bring consumers the best technical products to explore the outdoors; we bring passion for mountains and the environment when designing each quality item
For those that struggle with comfort when out cycling, these athletic pants don’t just provide you with the comfort you need, but they are very affordable. Retailing at around $30, you are getting good bang for your buck. Made from fleece and a double layer synthetic material of 75% polyester, you will feel the benefit when cycling through harsh and wet terrain. The surprising thing about these pants is that, despite adverse weather conditions, they are still feel breathable. And while the pants are baggy, you still have a lot of freedom without feeling yourself exposed. There is plenty of flexibility and mobility. And while there’s plenty of protection, the ventilation that comes with the additional padding actually will help you if you perspire a lot. The great thing about this is that it works well even when it’s boiling hot or freezing cold. But, it’s not even just great for those budding cyclists, if you want to go hiking, backpacking, or bouldering with crash pads, they prove versatile in any scenario. The features include a set of zippered pockets that don’t hinder maneuverability, especially around the knee area. The reflective logo gives you additional visibility if you go cycling in the dark. And with the price tag, it’s such an easy option for a versatile and dynamic outdoor set of pants, that whether you are using them for a trip to the store, cycling in harsh terrain, or climbing up rocks and mountains, the options that this simple yet effective pair of pants will give you his pretty much unlimited. Its durability, malleability, and sheer comfortability mean that you will benefit from this pair of pants for a long time to come.
- Double-layer synthetic material (75% polyester) in the front, which gives the pants a unique water repellent quality without being too clingy or tight. This offers the athlete more flexibility in mobility.
- Breathable material on the back, which is composed of 85% polyester 15% spandex. Engineered to offer the athlete extra comfort levels through exceptional padding and cushioning. The improved aeration is quintessential in preventing excessive sweating during rigorous training sessions.
- Thermo-lined fleece interior. Useful for prevention of loss of heat from the body, even under extreme wintry or snowy conditions. The thermal retention capabilities of these pants are also enhanced by the draping design in the knee area.
- Zippered pockets with sturdily built zips on each side coupled with easy to adjust leg openings. This gives the athletes the much-needed flexibility around the knee area.
- Reflective logo on the left. Improves the visibility of the athlete under low or poor lighting conditions. Integrated as a safety standard for professional and fitness cyclists.
What To Look For In Climbing Pants
Here is a good video talking about what to look for when purchasing climbing trousers: