The Top 7 Camping Mattresses Reviewed
The beauty of camping is that it can be many things to many people.
For some, it’s the ultimate adventure; an opportunity to pit their wits and their skills against the fury of the elements. It’s chance to prove their survival skills while also gaining a new respect and appreciation for the world around them.
For others, it’s more of a spiritual experience; an opportunity to temporarily eschew the high tech trappings of the modern world and get back to basics.
For yet more, it’s an opportunity for a fun family trip; a chance to get kids off the sofa and away from electronic devices and to engender a love of and respect for the planet we all share.
Some, on the other hand will regard a camping trip as the ultimate romantic getaway, laying down their heads at night with the stars burning brightly above them.
Whatever camping it to you, it’s safe to say that it’s an active and occasionally physically demanding leisure activity. Many like to combine their camping with other activities like hiking, climbing, mountain biking or nature trails.
It can be tiring stuff, and it’s important to get plenty of bed rest at night to awaken the next morning refreshed and invigorated. Even with the lack of light pollution and abundance of fresh air it can be difficult for many to get a good night’s sleep under canvas.
Sleeping in a tent is much different than sleeping on an RV mattress, and those who suffer from joint pain and stiffness can find it virtually impossible to get a good night’s sleep in a sleeping bag alone.
If you struggle to nod off in a tent (and even if you don’t) the right camping mattress can make all the difference. That’s why we’ve scrutinized a wide range of mattresses from some of the most trusted manufacturers to bring you this top 5.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Camping Mattress is the Outdoorsman Lab Inflatable Sleeping Pad.
Best Camping Mattresses
There are a wide variety of mattresses available for camping enthusiasts – in large part because there are many different types of campers. Some are more concerned about portability, while others place comfort as their top priority. For that reason we decided to look at a number of different makes and models, to help you select the perfect mattress for your needs. We compared features and also consulted owner feedback to come up with our list of the top camping mattresses available:
We start with a great all-rounder at a fantastic price that wins our pick for Best Overall Camping Mattress. Outdoorsman’s Inflatable Sleeping pad inflates to up to 3″ x 21.6″ x 2.2″ but deflates to 8″ x 3″ x 3″ before being rolled up to a size that’s smaller than most water bottles (8” x 3.5”). Weighing just 16 ounces it’s 40% lighter than most competitors making it ideal for taking pretty much anywhere.
It’s available in three colors; green, blue and orange and can be used by just about anyone; male, female, adult or child. Whatever position you prefer to sleep in diamond shaped air cells that self-adjust to your body to provide optimal support and comfort with great stability thanks to the interconnected diamond shaped air cells. These self-adjust to your body, providing optimal comfort and support whatever your size or shape and making it feel as though you’re sleeping on a cloud. These air cells are also designed to help retain body heat and prevent heat loss. No more waking up stiff and cold in the morning!
It’s sturdy and robust, made of super strong 20D Ripstop Woven Nylon. That’s the same fabric that high-end sleeping bags are made of! It’s water and tear resistant yet extremely comfortable as well as being quiet and slip-resistant.
You won’t even need to blow into it until you pass out to inflate it, either. It fully inflates in just 10-15 breaths and deflates in just a few seconds.
What’s more, at just $39.95 we think the Outdoorsman Lab Inflatable Sleeping Pad offers outstanding value for money.
Perfect for – Campers on a budget, campers who prefer soft yet supportive mattresses.
- ULTRA-LIGHT COMFORTABLE CAMPING PAD: Weighs only 16 oz making it the perfect sleeping pad for camping & addition to your backpacking gear. 73x21.6x2.2 our large camping pad fits all types of sleeping bags. Inflates/Deflates quickly, rolls up to 8x3x3
- PATENTED SLEEPING BAG PAD TECHNOLOGY: Our camping mat has a patented design. The individual & interconnected smooth air cells self-adjust to conform to your body shape to provide you with optimal comfort, support and 4-season warmth (R-value 2.2)
- BUILT TO LAST: Our durable 2.2 thick camping mattress is made of lightweight, flexible, abrasion-resistant nylon. The high-quality material used for our sleeping mat is water and rip resistant ensuring you a stress-free, comfortable sleep
- EASY INFLATION & DEFLATION: Our camping air mattress has an easy-to-use air valve for quick inflation (10-15 breathes). A few more breathes provides extra firmness & support. Your camping accessories are incomplete without this camping sleeping pad
- USA BASED FAMILY OWNED BUSINESS: Our 100% SATISFACTION PROMISE to YOU. No false claims-No Fake Reviews! We will respond in less than 24 hrs. We offer a 30-DAY NO QUESTIONS ASKED REFUND. FREE REPLACEMENT if DEFECTIVE and NO RETURN NEEDE
Looking for a camping mattress but don’t go camping all that often? You’ll want a mattress that can also be used at home for guests. A mattress that’s spacious and comfortable whether outdoors or indoors.
Etekcity’s air mattress is all of the above and much more, perfect for home and outdoor use, which is why we named it our Best Camping Air Mattress. Its unique inner construction and durable 0.4 mm extra thick non-toxic PVC exterior make it perfect for outdoor use where it may need to provide protection from hard or uneven surfaces. What’s more, it inflates to raise 9 inches from the floor, insulating sleepers from cold & wet surfaces.
Firm yet flexible it is perfect for those who experience back or joint pain needing a combination of comfort and support. It maintains the natural curvature of the spine and feels like a real mattress, with flocking on the surface for added comfort.
What’s more, the mattress comes with its own portable air pump which can be charged using either AC or DC. It inflates fully within a minute and deflates in seconds, after which it can be rolled up into a handy size to take wherever you please.
Perfect for – Couples, campers who experience back and joint pain sleeping on hard surfaces, campers who struggle to sleep without the support of a mattress.
- DESIGN IN CALIFORNIA: For any questions on your product, call, email, or live chat our customer support team In Southern California. Were always ready to help
- FOURTH-GENERATION TECHNOLOGY: The air mattress inner construction is built with the latest tech. Wave beam inner support structures are more durable and stable than traditional air coil beams, meaning the inflatable mattress can support up to 650 lb
- SAFE MATERIALS: Materials pass Official US CA prop 65 tests on lead, cadmium, and phthalates, so the blow up mattress is non-toxic and Safe for the whole family. The multi-layer flocked top is puncture-resistant, waterproof
- QUALITY ASSURED: 20% thicker PVC and flocked top than traditional air bed surfaces, This help the air mattress remain level and firm without sinking or leaking; Bed size: Inflated: 80 x 60 x 9 in. Deflated: 13 x 7 x 15 in
- 2-IN-1 VALVE: With the multi-use valve, you can use the inner one for quick inflation, and the outer valve for topping off the air mattress in small increments to reach your desired firmness. Make sure both valves are completely closed after inflation
The IFORREST’s Sleeping Pad uses a range of patent-pending technologies for superior comfort and support to ensure that even those who really struggle to get comfortable at night will find themselves drifting off for a blissful night’s sleep under canvas. It’s also designed for regular and continual use making it the only portable mattress you’ll ever need, which is why we chose it as our Best Inflatable Camping Mattress.
This sleeping pad has built-in armrests and an ergonomic for additional comfort and support. These help you to feel supported while also preventing excessive movement in the night. It inflates out to 77″x 26″x 1.3″- 2″ in seconds and deflates just as quickly and can be rolled up to take with you on your travels. Weighing just 2.28 lbs it’s easy to carry around wherever you want to go.
Made from high quality breathable and waterproof 190T Polyester this sleeping pad is durable and rugged yet soft and comfortable and will remain unchanged even after years of use. It’s versatile as well, coming in blue, gray, green and orange and at just $39.97 it’s suited to even modest budgets.
Perfect for – Campers who struggle to get comfortable, capers who need head support and campers who toss and turn frequently in their sleep.
- PHENOMENAL COMFORT: IFORREST PATENT PENDING sleeping pad with double-sided support and active rollover protection system is designed for camping and backpacking as a large, ultra comfortable, 4 season, compact and lightweight foam air bed!
- DURABILITY: These waterproof and durable sleeping pads always remain in the best conditions, looking and feeling brand new. This sleeping pad serves as an adult and kids camp bed!
- FRIENDLY: IFORREST camping mattress supports from both sides of the mattress, ensuring full comfort in the foam mats!
- INNOVATIVE: IFORREST travel camping pads include built-in armrests - suitable for tent, cot, hammock and sleeping bag!
- 100% GUARANTEED: If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, the replacement will be sent within 2 days after contacting us!
Many of us use memory foam mattresses at home for comfort and support that is as unique and individual as our bodies. You may wish that you could get the same perfect fit and unsurpassed comfort while camping or on the road as you do from your very own bed. Well, wish no longer! The BetterHabitat Sleep Ready Memory Foam Floor Mattress is perfect for indoor or outdoor use, which is why we chose it as our Best Camping Mattress For Bad Backs.
Take the comfort and support of memory foam with you wherever you go! This adult twin size mattress measures 75” x 36” x 3” although a child sized variant is also available at 62x26x2.
Since this mattress is memory foam and not air based it does not inflate or deflate. Instead it is rolled up and clipped into a tight coil. This makes it a little less portable but what it lacks in compressibility it more than makes up for in comfort. The mattress comes with a fitted cotton terry sheet which is also waterproof while the bottom layer is non-slip and water resistant meaning that you get a great combination of softness and stability wherever you are.
A solid 3″ layer of high quality memory foam provides superior overall comfort & support for those with mobility issues or those who experience joint pain on hard surfaces. What’s more, the hypoallergenic cover blocks allergens like dust mites, bacteria, mold & mildew to help ensure an uninterrupted night’s sleep.
At $159.95 for the adult size and $89.95 for the kids’ size this may be a little more expensive than other products on the market… But when has good quality memory foam ever been cheap?
Perfect for – Campers prone to back pain and stiffness, campers prone to allergies and anyone for whom comfort is a higher priority than portability. This is the perfect mattress to sleep on after sitting in a camping chair all day.
- SLEEP READY in SECONDS: (i) UNCLIP & ROLL OUT. (ii) Comes w/ fitted WATERPROOF cotton terry sheet & Non-slip water resistant bottom. (iii) Premium stitching, fasteners, & zippers. (iv) Our sleeping mat is much more CONVENIENT than an air mattress.
- PEACE OF MIND: (i) Certi-PUR-US Memory foam. NO mercury, lead, formaldehyde, phthalates, fire retardants, & ozone depleters. (ii) Low VOC emissions for indoor air quality. (iii) Passes stricter European REACH safety standards. (iv) Hypoallergenic cover blocks dust mites, allergens, bacteria, mold & mildew and gives you the soft & dry feel of breathable cotton terry.
- PORTABLE & VERSATILE - SEE VIDEO ON LEFT: (i) Easy to carry handle. (ii) Top entry travel bag for easy loading. (iii) Great rollaway bed for guests, camping, college dorms, or an overnight stay (imagine the possibilities)
- NATIONAL SLEEP FOUNDATION'S POLL RATED A COMFORTABLE MATTRESS AS #1 MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR TO A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP: (i) Our solid 3" quality memory foam provides superior overall comfort & support, (ii) reduced joint pain & (iii) improved health, mobility & energy.
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: (i) Twin size @ 75 x 36 x 3 inches; best use up to 230 lbs. (ii) Machine washable, removable cover. (iii) 12-Month Warranty on any part that is broken due to manufacturer defect.
If there’s an outdoor product that Coleman hasn’t mastered out there, we certainly haven’t found it. Ideal for camping and indoor use, this folding cot affords all the comforts of a real bed, wherever you go. And its expansive size is why we chose it as our Best Camping Mattress For Couples.
Fully folded out the bed measures 59 x 22 x 78 inches and gives you all the comfort and support of a real bed even on uneven ground. The sturdy steel frame will support up to 600 lbs in weight and will be best suited to those under 6’2” in height. The frame also includes 2 fold-out mini side-tables with built-in cup holders for you to store drinks or personal items on.
The inflatable air mattress is filled with the included 4D battery operated pump which inflates the bed in around a minute and connects to the double lock valve for leak-free inflation. There’s also built-in coil system for additional support. The mattress is kept attached to the steel frame by a sewn-in cover.
Perfect for – Campers who simply can’t get comfortable without a real bed. This is the perfect mattress to sleep on after being crouched over a camping stove for several hours.
- 3-PIECE COMBO: Includes cot with side tables, air mattress, and battery-operated pump (4 D-cell batteries sold separately)
- SUPERIOR SUPPORT: Air bed's coil construction contours to body for better support
- LEAK-PROOF: Factory-tested to ensure air mattress stays firm all night
- SEWN-IN COVER: Keeps air mattress in place on cot
- 2 SIDE TABLES: Pull-out design for easy storage includes cup holders
This self-inflating camping mattress is available in both a single or double size, so whether you are camping or need that extra emergency bed for when guests stop, you’ll find that this is a very convenient option.
The mattress is self-inflating, that means no messing around finding a pump that you can use. Simply turn the valve into the inflating position and then wait six to ten minutes while it does the hard work for you. The bag that the mattress comes also doubles up as an inflator, so if you need to add that extra bit of air to get the mattress up to the comfort levels that you like, then you can do this very easily.
Deflating the mattress is easy too. Just flip the valve setting to deflate, then let the air come out, roll it up, and pack it away. It all fits neatly bag into its carry bag, so there is no messing about trying to fold it up.
The mattress itself is made from 4-inch thick PU foam which makes it very comfortable, but you can always alter the hardness of the mattress by putting extra air in. The material that the mattress is made from us environmentally friendly, non-toxic, and is water-resistant.
This is a fantastic mattress for a camping trip away, though may not be ideal if you are planning on taking it hiking due to the size. It’s great for use outdoors as well as inside.
- Cloud-Level Comfort - The mattress is made of 4 inches thick PU foam. At the same time, it adjusts the hardness of the bed with inflation. It is soft and comfortable like that you are lying in the cloud. The area of 8052 is suitable for two people to share.
- Hardness As You Like - Its the sealed mattress so that the hardness can be adjusted by the intake air volume, equipped with an inflatable bag, no trouble to add air.
- Sleep Anywhere You Want - Both indoors and outdoors, a ideal gift for your camping or for your guests. In addition due to its weight, it may not be suitable for one day camping or backpacking journey.
- Patented Double-Way Valve - Its equipped with a circular spiral groove universal air valve, which realizes two-way ventilation through the rotary air valve, which avoids the trouble of frequently adjusting the air valve when you pack it up.
- Environmentally And Durable - Under the surface of the mattress is equipped with TPU film to guarantee tightness . The TPU material is environmentally friendly, non-toxic, wear-resistant and resistant to tortuousness.
This compact and lightweight sleeping pad will allow you to take comfort with you wherever you go. Whether you are camping, backpacking, hiking, getting lost in the wild, couch surfing, staying with friends, or you want to float in the pool on it, this sleeping pad is very useful.
Both rugged, and long-lasting, the sleeping pad is made from polyester pongee fabric with extruded PVC lamentation. It’s the same type of material that they make military parachutes out of, so you know this is going to be good quality.
Both warm and waterproof, this sleeping pad will be ideal for outdoor camping. Getting caught in the rain or soaking up the morning dew from the grass under your tent will be no problem at all.
You can very easily connect mattresses together so that you can create a double if you like.
The sleeping pad comes with a built-in air pump. That means that there is no messing around carrying around a foot pump or trying to blow it up by mouth. You just simply use your hands and feet to pump the mattress up. Of course, if you would prefer to use an external pump, you can still do that.
Wherever your next trip away is, taking this lightweight mattress with you will mean that you will have somewhere comfortable to sleep. It is easy to transport, and very easy to inflate meaning that you can relax in comfort effortlessly wherever you end up staying.
- 4" THICK FOR MAXIMUM COMFORT in this premium self inflating sleeping pad. You get a very comfy extra thick 4 inch of air padding that protects from rough ground, hard floors, and cold conditions. Providing a true 4-season pad with an estimated R-value of 4. Get a great night's sleep anywhere at any time. Measures 74" x 24" x 4" fully inflated.
- FAST INFLATABLE DESIGN with Built-in Air Pump. Simply stomp or hand press to inflate. Much easier than blowing it up with your breath or another pump, no batteries needed. And the outtake valve has the double-decked design, one is for inflating or slow release of air for adjusting the firm you like, and the 2nd is for quick deflation. So if you haven't got the skill of built-in pump yet, don't worry, you also can blow it up by mouth or electric pump though that valve.
- RUGGED LONG-LASTING 75D Polyester pongee fabric with extruded PVC lamination. This is the most durable fabric around used for military parachutes. It's waterproof and warm which will protect you from the wet ground in the most extreme conditions. This sleeping mat will be a perfect match for your tent, sleeping bag, and camping cot.
- ALTERNATIVE USE This camping mat folds up to a compact 6" x 6" x 14" just right to fit into a backpack or suitcase. Essential for backpacking, camping, car traveling, hunting, beach, etc. Even can be used as a floating mattress for great fun in summer! The Snaps also allow you to connect pads together to create the double camping pads, which provides more room to stretch out.
- 100% MONEY BACK GUARANTEE ensures this will quickly become your favorite no-risk purchase. Many people are stocking up with several of these to outfit the entire family or share with friends. We committed 90-Days Money Back Guarantee / 2-Year Warranty / Life Time Support, A perfect gift for yourself and your loved ones.
Recommended Camping Mattress Accessories
- SMALL in SIZE - BIG on COMFORT! This is the most compact & lightweight inflatable camp pillow on the market folds down to 5x2 inches, smaller than a soda can! Inflates to a comfortable pillow for head or lumbar support. Deflating back down in only seconds. This backpacking pillow can easily be carried in your backpack or pocket for convenient access. Weighing a mere 2.75oz (78g), lighter than a can of soda! This is the only travel pillow you will ever need period!
- NEWLY DESIGNED with YOUR ULTIMATE COMFORT in MIND - Improved Ergonomic Design with Enhanced neck support for a restful nights sleep! The Dreamer Comfort Air Pillow is ideal for back, side and stomach sleepers alike. Inflates to a generous 16 x 12 x 4 inches, in a mere 3-5 breaths (approx.). Ergonomically designed for superior neck and back support while you travelsleep like at home. The only thing left to decide is where to go. You can Rest easy with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
- NOW MORE DURABLE THAN EVER! Enhanced design with added layers for head support that is constructed from highly durable elastic TPU fabric that boasts water resistance. So, whether sleeping under the stars in the mountains, in your boat on the open seas, tenting at your favorite national park or staying at a hotel on holidayyour Dreamer comfort travel pillow is the perfect travel companion.
- EASE OF USE! With the simple click of a button, Inflate pillow by mouth with approximately 3-5 breaths. Once you are done you can conveniently deflate the pillow with the Quick Deflate feature which rapidly releases air after use in only seconds. With the unique technology in this compact and light pillow, you are able to adjust firmness to your personal sleep preference.
- SLEEP WITHOUT WORRY with OUR PRIORITORY SLIP-RESISTANT DESIGN - No more slipping off your pillow in the middle of the night! The Dreamer Comfort pillow back is made up of a slip resistant material to prevent your head from moving around while you sleep. Always ensures you have a good night rest! Pairs well with air inflatable sleeping pads.
- High-quality material: 350T Polyester with coating shell makes the sleeping bag ultra soft, waterproof and rip-stop, So it can keep you warm even in extreme weather and prevent you from any dampness. Comes with 200G/ Hollow Fiber fill which enhances non-allergetic, pro-environmental and better insulating performance. You'll feel comfortable when temperature is between 35F and 40F. But these are designed to keep the average sleeper warm even at near-freezing temperatures(20F).
- Two Sack Note:Our compression sack and sleeping bag load in one random color stuff sack,when you get the sleeping out, you will find the compression sack.Skin-Friendly & Easy to Clean: The bag has 350T polyester lining which is skin-friendly and soft, you feel very comfortable and sleep like kids or baby when you lie in it.Our sleeping bags are also extremely easy to clean as they are safer for machine wash too.
- Lightweight & Portable: Thanks for the Mummy design, this sleeping bag weighs only 2.8 pounds. Mummy sleeping bag not only fit adult body very well, but also reduce extra weight. Moreover, each sleeping bag comes with a travel-friendly carry bag, a compression sack with straps, which makes it quite convenient to store and carry the sleeping bag along. It's really perfect for camping, hiking, travel & Outdoor Activities.
- SBS zipper: With SBS double slider zipper, it can adjust the temperature according your demand. So the camping sleeping bag could be used in 3-4 season. SBS is the famous zipper company like YKK. Every zipper takes 120,000 times stretch test to make sure the performance. The bag has draft collars and zipper draft tubes, which could prevent warm lose and cold come in. Finally it enhance insulation performance with the draft tubes.
- Holiday Gift Choice for Christmas, We provide detailed instructions for use and maintenance procedures in the pictures and description, if there are other problems, we will reply you in the first time.
What Makes A Good Camping Mattress?
Here is a good YouTube video explaining what makes a good camping mattress great:
Who says that you can’t get a comfortable and uninterrupted night’s sleep when you’re taking some much-needed time away from the hustle and bustle of daily life to commune with the great outdoors? These 5 options should give you a great place to start when looking for the right mattress. Of course, some people may prefer to sleep in a camping hammock instead.