The Top 5 Camping Mattresses Reviewed
The beauty of camping is that it can be many things to many people.
For some, it’s the ultimate adventure; an opportunity to pit their wits and their skills against the fury of the elements. It’s chance to prove their survival skills while also gaining a new respect and appreciation for the world around them.
For others, it’s more of a spiritual experience; an opportunity to temporarily eschew the high tech trappings of the modern world and get back to basics.
For yet more, it’s an opportunity for a fun family trip; a chance to get kids off the sofa and away from electronic devices and to engender a love of and respect for the planet we all share.
Some, on the other hand will regard a camping trip as the ultimate romantic getaway, laying down their heads at night with the stars burning brightly above them.
Whatever camping it to you, it’s safe to say that it’s an active and occasionally physically demanding leisure activity. Many like to combine their camping with other activities like hiking, climbing, mountain biking or nature trails.
It can be tiring stuff, and it’s important to get plenty of bed rest at night to awaken the next morning refreshed and invigorated. Even with the lack of light pollution and abundance of fresh air it can be difficult for many to get a good night’s sleep under canvas.
Sleeping in a tent is much different than sleeping on an RV mattress, and those who suffer from joint pain and stiffness can find it virtually impossible to get a good night’s sleep in a sleeping bag alone.
If you struggle to nod off in a tent (and even if you don’t) the right camping mattress can make all the difference. That’s why we’ve scrutinized a range of mattresses from some of the most trusted manufacturers to bring you this top 5.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Camping Mattress is the Outdoorsman Lab Inflatable Sleeping Pad.
Best Camping Mattresses
There are a wide variety of mattresses available for camping enthusiasts – in large part because there are many different types of campers. Some are more concerned about portability, while others place comfort as their top priority. For that reason we decided to look at a number of different makes and models, to help you select the perfect mattress for your needs. We compared features and also consulted owner feedback to come up with our list of the top camping mattresses available:
We start with a great all-rounder at a fantastic price that wins our pick for Best Overall Camping Mattress. Outdoorsman’s Inflatable Sleeping pad inflates to up to 3″ x 21.6″ x 2.2″ but deflates to 8″ x 3″ x 3″ before being rolled up to a size that’s smaller than most water bottles (8” x 3.5”). Weighing just 16 ounces it’s 40% lighter than most competitors making it ideal for taking pretty much anywhere.
It’s available in three colors; green, blue and orange and can be used by just about anyone; male, female, adult or child. Whatever position you prefer to sleep in diamond shaped air cells that self-adjust to your body to provide optimal support and comfort with great stability thanks to the interconnected diamond shaped air cells. These self-adjust to your body, providing optimal comfort and support whatever your size or shape and making it feel as though you’re sleeping on a cloud. These air cells are also designed to help retain body heat and prevent heat loss. No more waking up stiff and cold in the morning!
It’s sturdy and robust, made of super strong 20D Ripstop Woven Nylon. That’s the same fabric that high-end sleeping bags are made of! It’s water and tear resistant yet extremely comfortable as well as being quiet and slip-resistant.
You won’t even need to blow into it until you pass out to inflate it, either. It fully inflates in just 10-15 breaths and deflates in just a few seconds.
What’s more, at just $39.95 we think the Outdoorsman Lab Inflatable Sleeping Pad offers outstanding value for money.
Perfect for – Campers on a budget, campers who prefer soft yet supportive mattresses.
- ULTRA-LIGHTWEIGHT SLEEPING PAD: Weighs only 16 ounces making it perfect for backpacking, hiking, and camping. Generously large 73"x21.6"x2.2" sleeping bag pad fits all types of single bags. Inflates/Deflates quickly and rolls up easily to a compact, space saving 8"x3"x3".
- PATENTED CAMPING PAD TECHNOLOGY: Our camping mat has a patented design. The individual and interconnected smooth air cells self-adjust to conform to the shape of your body providing you with optimal sleep comfort, support, and warmth (R-value 2.2) for four- season use.
- BUILT TO LAST: Our durable air mattress is made of lightweight, flexible, abrasion-resistant nylon. The high-quality material used for our sleeping mat is water resistant and rip resistant ensuring you a stress-free, comfortable sleep anywhere in the great outdoors
- EASY TO INFLATE & DEFLATE: Our easy-to-use air valve allows for quick inflation with just 10-15 breathes. A couple of extra breathes provides additional firmness and support. Our camping sleeping pad deflates in seconds and rolls up to a compact size to easily fit in you backpack.
- OUTDOORSMAN LAB: offers lightweight, compact camping and backpacking gear such as sleeping bags and pads for adults and kids. We stand by our quality and everlasting durability. We strive to equip you with the finest camping and hiking accessories - wherever your journey takes you.
Looking for a camping mattress but don’t go camping all that often? You’ll want a mattress that can also be used at home for guests. A mattress that’s spacious and comfortable whether outdoors or indoors.
Etekcity’s air mattress is all of the above and much more, perfect for home and outdoor use, which is why we named it our Best Camping Air Mattress. Its unique inner construction and durable 0.4 mm extra thick non-toxic PVC exterior make it perfect for outdoor use where it may need to provide protection from hard or uneven surfaces. What’s more, it inflates to raise 9 inches from the floor, insulating sleepers from cold & wet surfaces.
Firm yet flexible it is perfect for those who experience back or joint pain needing a combination of comfort and support. It maintains the natural curvature of the spine and feels like a real mattress, with flocking on the surface for added comfort.
What’s more, the mattress comes with its own portable air pump which can be charged using either AC or DC. It inflates fully within a minute and deflates in seconds, after which it can be rolled up into a handy size to take wherever you please.
Perfect for – Couples, campers who experience back and joint pain sleeping on hard surfaces, campers who struggle to sleep without the support of a mattress.
- COMFORT FOR CAMPING: This air bed has been designed especially for camping use with unique inner construction and 0.4 mm extra thick PVC material which makes it more durable against the hard ground; It is raised 9 inches from the floor, insulating you from the cold & wet ground surface; Relax and enjoy quality deep sleep all night
- QUICK & CONVENIENT SETUP: comes with the portable rechargeable electric pump, which can be charged either at home in advance of your trip or with a car charger on the road; quickly inflate or deflate airbed to desired firmness within 1 minute; 9'' deep sheet can match with this camping mattress
- EASY STORAGE & BACKPACKING: This camping mattress isn't too bulky or too heavy; Carry bag included for easy transport in your car, luggage to your campsite, and easy to store in your house for your next trip
- NO LEAKING: Upgraded seam and superior welding man crafts, this tent air mattress is completely air tight with no leaking; no noise from your movements; Perfect inner construction make it no sink, no bulge no matter how long you use; firmness is adjustable according to your needs; easy to clean with only a damp cloth
- MULTI-PURPOSE: Ideal for various scenarios such as traveling, camping, hiking as well as used as a temporary bed when you move to a new house, rental apartment, prepare for your overnight guest; 1-year warranty and lifetime support provided by Etekcity
The IFORREST’s Sleeping Pad uses a range of patent-pending technologies for superior comfort and support to ensure that even those who really struggle to get comfortable at night will find themselves drifting off for a blissful night’s sleep under canvas. It’s also designed for regular and continual use making it the only portable mattress you’ll ever need, which is why we chose it as our Best Inflatable Camping Mattress.
This sleeping pad has built-in armrests and an ergonomic for additional comfort and support. These help you to feel supported while also preventing excessive movement in the night. It inflates out to 77″x 26″x 1.3″- 2″ in seconds and deflates just as quickly and can be rolled up to take with you on your travels. Weighing just 2.28 lbs it’s easy to carry around wherever you want to go.
Made from high quality breathable and waterproof 190T Polyester this sleeping pad is durable and rugged yet soft and comfortable and will remain unchanged even after years of use. It’s versatile as well, coming in blue, gray, green and orange and at just $39.97 it’s suited to even modest budgets.
Perfect for – Campers who struggle to get comfortable, capers who need head support and campers who toss and turn frequently in their sleep.
- BEST COMFORT: IFORREST PATENT PENDING sleeping pad is designed for camping as a large, compact and light air mat to carry around
- DURABILITY: These sleeping pads always remain in the best conditions! Camping mat serves as an adult and kids sleeping pad
- FRIENDLY: This camping pad supports from both sides and will ensure full comfort
- INNOVATIVE: IFORREST camping pads include armrests - suitable for tent cot hammock sleeping bag
- 100% GUARANTEED: If for any reason you are not satisfied with your purchase, the replacement will be sent within 2 days after contacting us
Many of us use memory foam mattresses at home for comfort and support that is as unique and individual as our bodies. You may wish that you could get the same perfect fit and unsurpassed comfort while camping or on the road as you do from your very own bed. Well, wish no longer! The BetterHabitat Sleep Ready Memory Foam Floor Mattress is perfect for indoor or outdoor use, which is why we chose it as our Best Camping Mattress For Bad Backs.
Take the comfort and support of memory foam with you wherever you go! This adult twin size mattress measures 75” x 36” x 3” although a child sized variant is also available at 62x26x2.
Since this mattress is memory foam and not air based it does not inflate or deflate. Instead it is rolled up and clipped into a tight coil. This makes it a little less portable but what it lacks in compressibility it more than makes up for in comfort. The mattress comes with a fitted cotton terry sheet which is also waterproof while the bottom layer is non-slip and water resistant meaning that you get a great combination of softness and stability wherever you are.
A solid 3″ layer of high quality memory foam provides superior overall comfort & support for those with mobility issues or those who experience joint pain on hard surfaces. What’s more, the hypoallergenic cover blocks allergens like dust mites, bacteria, mold & mildew to help ensure an uninterrupted night’s sleep.
At $159.95 for the adult size and $89.95 for the kids’ size this may be a little more expensive than other products on the market… But when has good quality memory foam ever been cheap?
Perfect for – Campers prone to back pain and stiffness, campers prone to allergies and anyone for whom comfort is a higher priority than portability. This is the perfect mattress to sleep on after sitting in a camping chair all day.
- SLEEP READY in SECONDS: (i) UNCLIP & ROLL OUT. (ii) Comes w/ fitted WATERPROOF cotton terry sheet & Non-slip water resistant bottom. (iii) Our sleeping mat is much more CONVENIENT than an air mattress
- (NATIONAL SLEEP FOUNDATION'S POLL RATED A COMFORTABLE MATTRESS AS #1 MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR TO A GOOD NIGHT SLEEP). (i) Our solid 3" quality memory foam provides superior overall comfort & support, (ii) reduced joint pain & (iii) improved health, mobility & energy. (iv) Hypoallergenic cover blocks dust mites, allergens, bacteria, mold & mildew and (v) gives you the soft & dry feel of breathable cotton terry
- PORTABLE & VERSATILE: (i) Easy to carry handle. (ii) Top entry travel bag for easy loading. (iii) Great rollaway bed for guests, camping, college dorms, or an overnight stay (imagine the possibilities)
- KID'S VERSION NOW AVAILABLE!!: (i) Backpack style with overnight pockets. (ii) Search DreamReady travel mattress
- WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW: (i) Twin size @ 75 x 36 x 3 inches; best use up to 230 lbs. (ii) Machine washable, removable cover. (iii) Free from Vinyl, PVC, Phthalates, fire-retardants & other chemicals. (iv) 12 month warranty for manufacturer defects. (v) Premium stitching and zippers. (vi) Matching micro plush blanket available separately
If there’s an outdoor product that Coleman hasn’t mastered out there, we certainly haven’t found it. Ideal for camping and indoor use, this folding cot affords all the comforts of a real bed, wherever you go. And its expansive size is why we chose it as our Best Camping Mattress For Couples.
Fully folded out the bed measures 59 x 22 x 78 inches and gives you all the comfort and support of a real bed even on uneven ground. The sturdy steel frame will support up to 600 lbs in weight and will be best suited to those under 6’2” in height. The frame also includes 2 fold-out mini side-tables with built-in cup holders for you to store drinks or personal items on.
The inflatable air mattress is filled with the included 4D battery operated pump which inflates the bed in around a minute and connects to the double lock valve for leak-free inflation. There’s also built-in coil system for additional support. The mattress is kept attached to the steel frame by a sewn-in cover.
Perfect for – Campers who simply can’t get comfortable without a real bed. This is the perfect mattress to sleep on after being crouched over a camping stove for several hours.
- Portable queen air mattress and cot ideal for camping and guests
- Mattress features ComfortStrong coil construction for support and comfort
- AirTight system prevents mattress from leaking
- Sturdy steel cot supports up to 600 pounds; can accommodate most people up to 6 feet 2 inches in height
- Includes a 4D battery-operated pump
Recommended Camping Mattress Accessories
- SMALL in SIZE - BIG on COMFORT! This is the most compact & lightweight inflatable camp pillow on the market - folds down to 5x2 inches, smaller than a soda can! Inflates to a comfortable pillow for head or lumbar support. Deflating back down in only seconds. This backpacking pillow can easily be carried in your backpack or pocket for convenient access. Weighing a mere 2.75oz (78g), lighter than a can of soda! This is the only travel pillow you will ever need period!
- NEWLY DESIGNED with YOUR ULTIMATE COMFORT in MIND - Improved Ergonomic Design with Enhanced neck support for a restful night's sleep! The Dreamer Comfort Air Pillow is ideal for back, side and stomach sleepers alike. Inflates to a generous 16 x 12 x 4 inches, in a mere 3-5 breaths (approx.). Ergonomically designed for superior neck and back support while you travel-sleep like at home. The only thing left to decide is where to go. You can Rest easy with our 100% Satisfaction Guarantee!
- NOW MORE DURABLE THAN EVER! Enhanced design with added layers for head support that is constructed from highly durable elastic TPU fabric that boasts water resistance. So, whether sleeping under the stars in the mountains, in your boat on the open seas, tenting at your favorite national park or staying at a hotel on holiday-your Dreamer comfort travel pillow is the perfect travel companion.
- EASE OF USE! With the simple click of a button, Inflate pillow by mouth with approximately 3-5 breaths. Once you are done you can conveniently deflate the pillow with the Quick Deflate feature which rapidly releases air after use in only seconds. With the unique technology in this compact and light pillow, you are able to adjust firmness to your personal sleep preference.
- SLEEP WITHOUT WORRY with OUR PRIORITORY SLIP-RESISTANT DESIGN - No more slipping off your pillow in the middle of the night! The Dreamer Comfort pillow back is made up of a slip resistant material to prevent your head from moving around while you sleep. Always ensures you have a good night rest! Pairs well with air inflatable sleeping pads.
- High-quality material: 350T Polyester with coating shell makes the sleeping bag ultra soft, waterproof and rip-stop, So it can keep you warm even in extreme weather and prevent you from any dampness. Comes with 200G/㎡ Hollow Fiber fill which enhances non-allergetic, pro-environmental and better insulating performance. You'll feel comfortable when temperature is between 35F and 40F. But these are designed to keep the average sleeper warm even at near-freezing temperatures(20F).
- Two Sack Note:Our compression sack and sleeping bag load in one random color stuff sack,when you get the sleeping out, you will find the compression sack.Skin-Friendly & Easy to Clean: The bag has 350T polyester lining which is skin-friendly and soft, you feel very comfortable and sleep like kids or baby when you lie in it.Our sleeping bags are also extremely easy to clean as they are safer for machine wash too.
- Lightweight & Portable: Thanks for the Mummy design, this sleeping bag weighs only 2.8 pounds. Mummy sleeping bag not only fit adult body very well, but also reduce extra weight. Moreover, each sleeping bag comes with a travel-friendly carry bag, a compression sack with straps, which makes it quite convenient to store and carry the sleeping bag along. It's really perfect for camping, hiking, travel & Outdoor Activities.
- SBS zipper: With SBS double slider zipper, it can adjust the temperature according your demand. So the camping sleeping bag could be used in 3-4 season. SBS is the famous zipper company like YKK. Every zipper takes 120,000 times stretch test to make sure the performance. The bag has draft collars and zipper draft tubes, which could prevent warm lose and cold come in. Finally it enhance insulation performance with the draft tubes.
- 100% Risk-free Satisfaction Guarantee: We also offer you 100% risk-free satisfaction guarantee to let you buy with confidence; If you are not satisfied with the quality of the product,we will fully-refund you. No questions asked.
What Makes A Good Camping Mattress?
Here is a good YouTube video explaining what makes a good camping mattress great:
Who says that you can’t get a comfortable and uninterrupted night’s sleep when you’re taking some much-needed time away from the hustle and bustle of daily life to commune with the great outdoors? These 5 options should give you a great place to start when looking for the right mattress. Of course, some people may prefer to sleep in a camping hammock instead.