The Top 5 Camping Coolers
If you are going camping, one thing you will need to source is the best camping cooler for your trip. While camping is a bit rough by its very nature, this does not mean your experience has to be as challenging as possible! It is important to invest in equipment that is going to make your experience a good one, and this is exactly what a camping cooler will do. It will keep your food fresh and your drinks cold, ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable trip.
In this guide, we are going to take a look at five of the best camping coolers available on the market today. Before we do this, though, let’s get familiar with some of the features that can make or break a cooler. If you do a quick search online, you will see that coolers differ in price rather considerably. So, what separates the good from the bad? Well, the most important element that you will need to consider is the amount of insulation the cooler has. This is important because it has a direct correlation to how long the product is going to keep your food and drink cold. Therefore, this is certainly the most important element when purchasing this type of product!
However, there are a few other elements that are worth bearing in mind too. The size of the camping cooler is one of these elements. This will depend on the number of people that are camping and the number of days you are going camping for. If you are going to be taking a short weekend camping break, and there is a gas station nearby, meaning you can easily purchase ice, you will probably find that it is better to go for a cooler that is lighter and cheaper. This will save you money and it will be easy to carry around. However, if you are going camping for an extended trip and you are going to be deep in the backcountry, you will need something that is going to keep highly perishable food during this time. Therefore, it is certainly worth spending a bit of extra money on a reliable product.
You will also want to consider durability too. After all, the last thing you want is for your camping cooler to snap while you are camping. Some of the things that can make a difference when it comes to the lifespan of your cooler include the design of the spout and the materials used for the lid hinges. Screw-in sprouts and metal hinges are highly durable. On the flip side, pull-off spouts and plastic hinges are easy to break yet pretty much impossible to replace.
So, now that you have a good idea regarding the different elements that make a good camping cooler, as well as the different factors you must consider when purchasing, let’s take a look at five of the best that won’t let you down…
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Camping Cooler is the YETI Tundra 45 Cooler.
Best Camping Coolers
There is only one place to begin, and this is with the YETI Tundra 45 Cooler. When a company calls its product the “stuff of legends” it has a lot to live up to! Luckily, this cooler does not disappoint. This cooler has a number of different features that make it our number one choice. From the construction to the insulation, it ticks all of the boxes. The flat wall design, with extra-thick walls, means it holds up to two inches of insulation for exceptional ice retention. In terms of insulation, this is achieved with polyurethane foam, which is commercial-grade and pressure-injected, which is placed inside of the lid and the walls. It is also virtually indestructible and armored to the core thanks to the rotomolded construction.
Not only is this cooler strong and durable, but the handles and lid system also impress. The cooler has an interlock lid system, which generates a form-fitting barrier against the heat. Plus, the T-rex lid latches are made using patented technology, which creates heavy-duty rubber latches that promise you will never have to deal with a broken latch again. For further strength and durability, the double haul military-grade polyester rope handles are a welcomed addition.
Everything has been considered when designing this cooler. It also has non-slip feet, ensuring your cooler stays in place on uneven terrain. Easy and quick draining is also achieved via the vortex drain system, and there is a cold lock gasket, which further locks in the cold and blocks out the heat. And, let’s not forget the anchor point tie-down slots, which enable you to mount the cooler to your boat, the bed of your truck, or your trailer with ease. Is there anything this cooler can’t do? It is a must-have camping accessory.
- The YETI Tundra 45 combines versatility with durability with a capacity of up to 26 cans with a recommended 2:1 ice-to-contents ratio
- Ice stays ice thanks to up to 3 inches of PermaFrost Insulation and an extra thick FatWall design is certified Bear-Resistant
- The Rotomolded Construction makes the Tundra armored to the core and virtually indestructible so wherever you decide to take it, this portable cooler’s sturdy construction will stand up to the rigors of the journey
- All Tundra coolers feature T-Rex Lid Latches constructed of heavy-duty rubber so you’ll never see another busted latch and has patented keeper technology
- The Tundra 45 dimensions are 25 1/2 in long x 16 in wide x 15 ½ in high with an empty weight of 23 lbs NOTE: All Tundra models come standard with one dry goods basket.
If the YETI Tundra 45 Cooler is not the choice for you, perhaps the Knox Electric Cooler will be. This is a great choice for those seeking a cooler that will provide them with a lot of storage. It features a huge 48-quart interior chamber, with the inside of the cooler measuring 17 inches in length x 12 inches in width x 11 inches in depth. In terms of the exterior, the measurements are 22 inches in length x 15 inches in width x 15 inches in depth. So, to give you a bit of perspective, this means you will be able to pack a two-liter bottle of soda with ease, and you will have plenty of room for other containers of food and anything else you want to take with you. This means no one has to leave their favorite snacks behind!
Aside from this, the cooler has a number of other convenient features. This includes the car adapter cable, which is 12V DC and half-a-foot long. This is built into the lid. There is also an AC adapter, which is built-in, and can be used both outside and indoors. The easy locking mechanism will also prevent accidental spills while keeping your food cool and maintaining the temperature.
Of course, we need to mention the fact that this is an electric cooler, and so not only does it keep your food cooler, but you can heat it up too! This makes it a highly flexible product, which you can take with you no matter the season or your destination. The interior will heat up to 130-degrees Fahrenheit if you want to prepare soup or any other type of warm food. For the cold bit, it gets down to 40-degrees Fahrenheit, making it a great choice for keeping your drinks, salads, and such like, cold!
- PORTABLE TRAVEL FRIDGE & HEATER: Whether you're travelling on the road or camping in an RV, camper or minivan, this large capacity storage container to heat & warm or cool & chill food & drink.
- PLUGS IN ANYWHERE: The cooler/warmer combo has 2 built in cords - one for standard wall outlets, and one for car power adapters. Both have storage compartments to be hidden when not in use.
- VAST STORAGE SPACE: This 48 quart cooler stores about 60 cans of soda or 6 two liter bottles and 15 cans of soda or beer. A removable divider creates 2 compartments for easier organizing and storing.
- CHILLS WITHOUT ICE: Forget ice packs that need constant refilling, take up precious space, and leave you with a watery mess when they melt. This cooler maintains a cool 40°F temp without any ice.
- DOUBLE HANDLES AND WHEELED: Two handles and wheels make it easy to carry or pull. A dual functioning handle allows you to carry your cooler in hand or pull it on the ground using the wheels.
Next, we have a cooler from reputable brand REYLEO. This is a brand that has received lots of great feedback. All you need to do is a quick search online to see that this is the case. One thing that a lot of people like about this cooler is the design of it. After all, while you may be purchasing this product for practical purposes, it can still look great, right? This cooler comes in a grey and neon yellow color scheme, adding some vibrancy and fun to your camping equipment. Plus, it is really practical and efficient too, keeping ice for up to five days. It also has a built-in bottle opener and a cup holder, and the capacity is 20 liters. Other notable features include slip-proof rubber feet, easy and secure latching, an airtight gasket, and a stainless handle with a lock system. It is also really lightweight, and therefore, easy to store too.
- 【INDUSTRY LEADING ICE RETENTION】16 cans with recommended 2:1 ice-to-contents ratio. Ice retention up to 3 days. Filling full ice will take 5 days to melt completely. Capacity up to 30 cans without ice.
- 【TOUGH ROTOMOLDED CONSTRUCTION】 Bear-resistant withstands more than 700 pounds. Insulated with polyurethane foam to provide superior insulation and strength.
- 【UV PROTECTION&NON-SKID】All exterior and interior surfaces are anti-UV. Non-Skid feet guarantees that your cooler won’t move.
- 【INNOVATIVE FEATURES】 Bottle opener, Cup holders and 16" fish ruler, Drain plug to release water and also a pressure valve for easy cleaning. Since the latches are consumables, we upgraded the latches, which are more durable.
- 【MAKE YOUR LIFE COOL】 Whether you are heading out for hunting, fishing, or just want to tailgate before the big game, it can be your best travel companion. Reyleo will always stand behind you, whenever problems happens, just contact us via Amazon messages.
First developed back in 1954, if you are looking for a classic design and a reliable product, this is the cooler for you. It can hold 2-liter bottles, or if you’re taking cans with you, you will get as many as 85 in this cooler. So, you will definitely have plenty of room for all of the food and refreshments you are planning to take with you. This cooler is secure, comfortable, and easy to use thanks to the comfort-grip steel handles and stainless steel lid latch. Plus, the lid doubles up as a seat, meaning you always have somewhere to sit no matter where you camp. And, when everything is said and done, you can empty excess water without having to tilt the cooler thanks to the channel drain, which is leak-resistant.
- High-capacity, heavy-duty cooler features a charming retro design
- 54-Quart Capacity Accommodates Up to 85 Cans; Have-a-Seat Lid Supports Up to 250 Pounds
- Keeps the Ice insulation offers 4-day ice retention in temperatures as high as 90 degrees Fahrenheit
- Built to deliver years of performance with rust-resistant stainless steel hardware
- Comfort-grip steel handles allow for easy, controlled lifting and carrying
Last but not least, we have the Igloo Ice Cube Roller Cooler. This will keep cold for a very long time thanks to the ultra-therm insulated body. This product has been designed with ease and convenience in mind. The telescopic handle means you can wheel the cube, rather than lifting it. However, fi you do want to lift it, the egernomic design makes sure that this is easy enough too! There are four cup holders molded into the top of the lid, as well as a useful locking feature.
- Ultratherm insulated body keeps cold for a long time
- Push button and locking telescopic handle
- Durable wheels and reinforced tow handle make transporting a full cooler easy
- Molded side scoop handles for ease of loading and unloading
- 60 quart capacity. Exterior Dimensions ( L x W x H )-20 x 18.5 x 20.69 inches. Interior Dimensions ( L x W x H )-Top - 16.75 x 14.5 x 17.25 inches, Bottom - 15.25 x 12 x 17.25 inches
As you can see, there is a lot that needs to be considered when you are looking for the best camping cooler. Nevertheless, if you use the advice that has been provided above, you should have no trouble finding the perfect option for your camping trip. All of the five options mentioned will ensure that you have an efficient method for keeping your food and drink cool next time you’re camping.
How To Pack A Camping Cooler
Here is a good YouTube video demonstrating how to properly pack a camping cooler to make the most of the space: