The Top 5 Camping Chairs Reviewed
Camping is a wonderful way to embrace the great outdoors and enjoy al fresco adventures with friends and family. Whether you enjoy gathering around the camp stove and toasting smores, or you’re more into flexing your survival skills and testing your mettle, there’s no doubt that investing in a good quality camping chair is essential.
There’s a vast range of camping chairs out there, so how do you go about narrowing down the options and finding the ideal product for your next trip? It’s impossible to choose an outright winner in this category, as everyone has different needs and preferences. While some will be looking for versatility and durability, others will be searching for those extra little features and perks that make life in the outdoors easier and more pleasurable. To help you find the best camping chair, we’ve selected 5 best-selling products. Here are some insightful reviews to inspire you.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Camping Chair is the Coleman Portable Camping Quad Chair.
1. Best Overall Camping Chair – Coleman Portable Camping Quad Chair
Coleman is a leading manufacturer of outdoor goods, so it’s no surprise to see the Coleman Portable Camping Quad Chair in the list of top camping chairs. Priced at around $23, this is an affordable option, which is likely to appeal to a wide range of buyers.
One of the best things about the portable quad chair is the built-in cooler, which offers the option to store up to 4 cans. If you’re traveling with friends or family, and you’ve got cozy nights by the fire in mind, this is ideal. You can keep cans cool, ready to crack them open when the sun sets and the party ensues. On the opposite side of the chair, you’ll find a handy pouch, which is perfect for those who like to read or write. You can keep a notepad and a pen or books and magazines and while away the hours reading or scribbling with a drink in hand.
In addition to its cooler and useful storage sleeve, the Coleman chair is also comfortable and robust. With a sturdy steel frame, and a polyester covering, this chair delivers on both style and substance. It will weather the conditions and ensure you’re comfy at the same time.
The armrests on the Coleman quad chair are adjustable for enhanced comfort, and there’s also a handy cup holder. The simple folding design also makes it easy to pack up the chairs and load up the car when your vacation comes to an end.
The pros and cons
This Coleman camping chair has so much to offer at a great price of just over $20. It might not be the perfect choice for everyone, but it does offer a host of pros and very few cons.
- Excellent value for money
- Easy to transport and store
- Cooler for up to 4 drinks
- Cup holder
- Comfortable and robust
- Sturdy steel frame with weight capacity of up to 300lb
- Risk of rusting
Who should buy the Coleman quad camping chair?
The Coleman quad camping chair is suited to everyone. From outdoor adventurers looking to relax after a day of hiking, cycling, and climbing to families enjoying a more relaxing vacation, this is a great option at an affordable price.
- Camping chair combines a cozy design with a convenient armrest cooler
- Built-in 4-can cooler pouch keeps cold drinks within reach
- Fully cushioned seat and back provide support and comfort
- Mesh cup holder and side pocket for quick access to personal items
- Collapsible, folding design is easy to store and transport
2. Best Camp Chair For Bad Backs – STRONGBACK Elite Folding Camping Chair with Lumbar Support
Available in a range of colors, the STRONGBACK Elite folding camping chair is an award-winning product that features a patented lumbar support system for enhanced comfort. Anyone who is prone to back, neck or shoulder pain should seriously consider this impressive camping chair.
The lumbar support design works to improve posture and alignment, encouraging the body to mould to the chair and reducing tension in the muscles. Featuring a large, ergonomic seat and robust padding that targets the lower back, this chair aligns the hips and the spine for the ultimate in comfort and relaxation.
In addition to its impressive design, the STRONGBACK folding camping chair is also easy to store, fold, and carry and it comes with a backpack carry case. With a weight capacity of up to 300 lbs, this is a solid, hard-wearing chair. Despite its robust frame, the chair is surprisingly light and it’s very easy to move from A to B. As well as being a great companion for camping trips, this is also a brilliant investment for those who enjoy picnics at the park, days out at the beach, and outdoor festivals and concerts.
The pros and cons
The STRONGBACK Elite folding chair ticks several boxes, but there are a couple of drawbacks, which mean that it’s not going to be every buyer’s first choice.
- Patented lumbar support system for superior comfort
- Suitable for tall people
- Easy to fold up and transport with backpack style carry case
- Versatile: suited to many outdoor settings and activities
- 300lb weight capacity
- The cost: at $99, this is one of the pricier camping chairs on the market
Who should buy the STRONGBACK camping chair?
This product is ideally suited to anyone who suffers from back pain, and those looking for a chair that promotes good posture and comfort. It’s not the cheapest chair at just under $100, but it’s a great investment for those who struggle to get comfortable in standard chairs. If you struggle with back pain, be sure to check out our list of camping mattresses that help with this problem.
- AWARD WINNING, PATENTED LUMBAR SUPPORTIVE DESIGN better aligns your body posture thereby easing tension; SUPPORTS YOUR BACK which provides relief to your spine and relaxes your muscles
- 2 YEAR WARRANTY: Compare with our competitors - We guarantee durability
- Spacious ergonomic seat designed to align hips and back FOR MAXIMUM COMFORT AND RELAXATION
- EASY TO USE AND LIGHTWEIGHT: The perfect portable chair for camping, travel, picnics, beach trips, sports, concert events and other outdoor activities
- HEAVY-DUTY, DURABLE CONSTRUCTION with a 300 lbs. WEIGHT CAPACITY
3. Best Heavy Duty Camping Chair – KingCamp Heavy Duty Steel Camping Chair
A stylish, versatile director’s chair, the KingCamp heavy duty steel camping chair is a fantastic option for those who like to drink and dine under the stars. Featuring a useful side table and a cooler bag on the other side, this is the ultimate investment for campers keen to settle down for the night with a beer and a tasty homemade meal.
The KingCamp steel camping chair isn’t just eye-catching because it’s set up for life around the campfire. It’s also sturdy and durable. With a robust steel frame and a weight capacity of up to 330 lbs, the chair has a large seat and padded armrests for extra comfort. Despite its heavy-duty frame, the KingCamp chair is easy to fold up and pack away, and you can take it everywhere with you. From a national park or a beach to an outdoor concert venue or a fishing trip, this is a chair that you can use all year-round.
Should I buy the KingCamp heavy duty steel camping chair?
If you’re planning on spending time in the outdoors, this KingCamp camping chair is a fantastic all-rounder. Built to last with a sturdy frame and breathable, moisture-proof fabric, this chair also boasts a side table and a cooler bag making eating and drinking a doddle no matter where you are. With a weight capacity of up to 330lbs and a large seat, this chair is suited to most adults, and it can be packed up and carried around with minimal effort.
Are there any downsides?
The only issue with this chair is the price. At around $85, this is definitely not the cheapest product on the market, and it might be too expensive for some campers. However, if you camp all the time, or you’re a big fan of going to the beach or going to al fresco festivals, and you want the added bonuses of a side table and a cooler bag, you might be more than willing to pay extra.
- Rugged steel frame, extra large size, can support up to 330 lbs; Seat height 17.3 inches, width 20.8 inches, weight 14.8 lbs
- Breathable, moisture-wicking fabric; Padded hard armrests to add more comfort
- Fold-away insulated cooler bag (12 liters); Side table with cup holder; Relax with a drink and a snack on the side table.
- Sets and folds in seconds, very easy to use and store; Packed Size 36.6 × 22.8 × 7.1 inches
- The folding chair is comfortable and firm at the same time, great for camping, car travelling, fishing, tailgating or the deck.
4. Best Reclining Camp Chair – Best Choice Products Adjustable Zero Gravity Lounge Chair
If comfort is your number one priority, look no further than the Best Choice adjustable zero gravity lounge chair.
Suitable for lounging around by the pool or catching rays on a sunny day, this camping chair is also ideal for taking a break after a busy day of kayaking, trekking, or cycling. Boasting a double bungee system, which adapts to the body shape for enhanced comfort, this chair’s gliding function will make you feel weightless.
The zero gravity lounge chair looks the part, but it’s also built for the elements. Made from textilene fabric, this chair will ensure that you’re comfortable come rain or shine. The chair also has a useful accessories tray with a drinks holder and storage for a book or a phone.
The pros and cons
The Best Choice Products zero gravity lounge chair offers a host of benefits, but as with all camping chairs, it may not be the perfect choice for everyone.
- Smart, stylish design
- Comfort and relaxation
- Accessories tray for storing drinks, snacks and books
- Available in a twin pack
- Weather-proof fabric
- Not as easy to transport as other camping chairs
- Takes up a lot of space
- Not as versatile
If you’re looking for a camping chair that will double up as a pool or sun lounger, this is a great option. At around $150 for a twin pack of chairs, this could be a brilliant investment for those who appreciate comfort and luxury when taking a break in the great outdoors.
- STURDY & UV-RESISTANT: Made with a 250-pound weight capacity and strong, UV-resistant mesh designed to last outdoors
- SMOOTH LOCKABLE RECLINING SYSTEM: Smoothly glides to an ergonomic zero-gravity position, with replaceable elastic cords that immediately adjust to your body
- CONVENIENT CUP HOLDER TRAY: Detachable tray allows easy access to drinks, magazines, phones, tablets, or other small items
- REMOVABLE, ADJUSTABLE HEADRESTS: Includes comfortable headrests for added comfort, which can be taken off when needed
- FOLDABLE & PORTABLE: Folds up and is lightweight for easy transportation
5. Best Camping Stool – TravelChair Slacker Chair
Priced at $18, the TravelChair Slacker Chair is a useful, inexpensive addition for people who like to spend their days out hiking, trekking or climbing. Easy to fold away and carry around, this portable tripod chair is ideally suited to taking a quick break and resting your legs in the middle of a hike or sitting down with a well-earned drink at the end of the day.
The TravelChair Slacker Chair doesn’t claim to be the most versatile product on the market and it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles. What you do get is a comfortable, sleek chair, which you can carry around with you or leave back at camp ready to take a seat when you return from a day of thrills and spills. This is a compact model, which doesn’t take up any room, and it’s great for large groups and those who like to spend days out in the wilds. If you’re going on an all-day hike, for example, you can take the TravelChair folding tripod stool with you, and give your feet a break and grab a drink en route.
Pros and cons
This chair won’t appeal to everyone, but it has a lot to offer for a great price.
- Lightweight (2.2lbs) and easy to transport
- Holds up to 275lbs
- Folds to the size of a newspaper
- Great for outdoor activities and large groups
Not designed for prolonged use
No back support
If you’re looking for an inexpensive, versatile tripod stool you can take camping with you, and you don’t need a luxurious chair that is packed with storage pockets and drinks trays, this could be an ideal option for you! This stool is even small enough to store inside your camping tent.
- Reinforced throughout - Nail Head/ 600D Rip Stop Poly
- Sturdy and durable supports up to 275 pounds
- Portable tripod stool folds to the size of a rolled-up newspaper
- Easy to carry integrated Velcro strap closure
- Lightweight and small weighs 2.2 lbs.
If you’re looking for the best camping chair, hopefully, these reviews have given you food for thought and helped you narrow down your options. While some people will prefer a good camping hammock, these models should more than satisfy the needs of most campers.
Recommended Camping Chair Accessories
Umbrella With Chair Clamp
- UPF 50+ PROTECTION. The Versa-Brella XL will keep your skin safe from UVA/UVB rays. The silver coating and eye safety tips help you stay burn free. With a 4-way, 360 degree swivel and 2 push button hinges, you can be covered from any angle
- RUGGED COVER AND DURABLE CONNECTOR. The rugged canopy cover won't rip or tear and is fundamental for sun protection. The universal, heavy duty clamp will ensure a secure hold on your golf bag, stroller, beach chair, or even a set of bleachers
- CONNECTS TO SQUARED AND TUBULAR SURFACES. The Versa-Brella XL by Sports-Brella connector secures to round or tubular surfaces, and almost any outdoor sports chair, so you can get the best view of the game, with no limitations
- EASY TRANSPORT FOR EASY PROTECTION. The Versa-Brella conveniently folds into a compact carrying case, weighing only 1.8 pounds, so you can take it anywhere. When opened it spans 40" x 42" and when folded down it is 3.5" wide and 36" high
- HAVE NO FEAR. Spend more time outside without the fear of too much sun. From the beach to the sidelines, the Versa-Brella lets you stay committed to your team, family, and friends, while keeping your skin protected against the sun
- Ultra-compact aluminum folding table ideal for camping and outdoor cookouts
- Aluminum slat top and strong steel frame offer ample support and surface area
- Snap-together design assembles and folds up with ease
- Fits into an included lightweight carrying bag for easy carrying and storage
- Offers enough seating room for 4 people
How To Make A Camp Chair
In case you are already out camping and want to make a chair, here is a video showing how to make a bushcraft camp chair: