The Top 6 Bicycle Trailers Reviewed
If you’re looking to get out in the world and explore new locations and landscapes with your children, you’re going to need a bike trailer.
They allow you to bring your kids along, even when they’re too small to cycle alongside you for the duration of the trip. It’s a good way to introduce them to nature and activity from a young age and these trailers offer them comfort too.
There are lots of bike trailers on the market that you can choose from, but we’ve picked out some of the very best of them. That way, you can understand the benefits and features offered by each of them and decide which of them is right for you and your family. There are options available for all kinds of needs, so read on to find out more about them.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Bike Trailer is the Burley Cub X Kid Trailer.
The Best Bike Trailers
There are trailers available for all types of bikers – from the serious cycling enthusiast to the casual rider. Both feature sets and pricing vary greatly from one model to the next, and sorting through all the options can seem like a tiresome task. Thankfully, we’ve done most of the research for you in coming up with our picks for the best bike trailers:
The Burley Cub X trailer is a bike trailer that also doubles up as a double stroller. If you’re looking for something that will do well on slightly rougher roads, paths and trails, this tough trailer is a great pick. It has a rugged plastic base and is designed to provide maximum comfort for its passengers. It has adjustable suspension for a smoother ride, plus reclining seats with premium pads. The seats have three reclining positions for comfort and safety. The full-length UV windows allow your kids to look out, while also protecting them from the sun at the same time.
This is a super flexible trailer, which can be converted to use it the way that you want it. It’s easy to use the stroller kit to turn it into a trailer if you’re not out on your bike. It also includes a steel hitch and a tow bar for attaching it to your bicycle. The safety flag lets people know that the trailer is there while you’re riding. As well as converting into a stroller, it is also compatible with conversions for jogging and even skiing, so you can use it however you like. And when you don’t have your little ones along for the ride, you can remove the seats and use it as a standard trailer.
Safety and comfort are both take care of with this bike trailer. The 20″ wheels have an aggressive tread to give it excellent grip on any path, road or trail. The handlebar can be adjusted by height, and also doubles as a roll bar for biking. A hub-engaged parking brake ensures the trailer isn’t going to go anywhere when you stop. The trailer also has a water-resistant cover and zippers to keep everything dry during wet weather.
Burley Cub X Kid Trailer
- Includes stroller kit, steel hitch, tow bar, and safety flag
- Independent recline with 3-positions of adjustment for both passengers
- Adjustable suspension and 20″ wheels with aggressive tread
- Height adjustable handlebar doubles as an additional roll bar while biking
- Seat can be detached to convert to cargo trailer
The Allen Sports Deluxe Steel Child Trailer manages to be both lightweight and very durable. It’s capable of transporting two children at a time in a safe way; there’s also a foot guard to add extra protection for the children when they’re sitting in the trailer and being pulled behind a bike. It’s safe, comfortable and easy for everyone to use; learn more about it below.
Lightweight and Easy to Pull
Perhaps the most important thing about this bike trailer is that it’s very lightweight and, consequently, very easy to pull. Those are two things that can’t be overlooked or ignored because when you’re using the trailer, you’ll begin to notice and appreciate them.
Easy to Assemble
It’s also very easy to assemble the trailer when you start using it. It can be packed down and the bike coupler is also very easy to use. In short, there should be no real problems at all relating to the use of the trailer; everything is designed to be manageable.
The fact that it’s able to fold down so compactly is obviously a real benefit. It means that you can carry and transport it very easily when it’s not in use and that’s something that’s very important indeed.
Good Ventilation Makes it Suitable in Warm Weather
The ventilation offered inside the trailer is great as well. This can be an issue in some lesser bike trailers because poor ventilation leads to unusability when it’s warmer outdoors. But that’s not something you’ll ever need to worry about with this solution.
- Lightweight steel construction trailer with rugged steel wheels
- Safely and comfortably transports 2 children (up to 100lbs. Max. Payload)
- Foot guard tube to protect child's feet
- 16 inch inflated rear wheels, safety harness, includes safety flag
- Folding design and quick release wheels make for easy storage and transportation
It’s easy to connect the Instep Tow Behind Bike Trailer to your bike and start using it right away. There’s a coupler that comes with it and can be attached to any adult bike and used accordingly. There’s nothing complicated about using it and that’s why lots of parents like it so much. It has mesh screens on three sides and has a sporty design that looks the part.
Tool-Free and Easy to Transport
The assembly of the InStep trailer is very easy and it can all be done without the need for any tools whatsoever. You can pack it up and fold it out in a matter of seconds and once you’ve done that, it becomes very easy to transport and move from place to place.
A Smooth Ride
If you’re looking at this from the perspective of your kids who will be the ones really using the trailer, it’s important to consider how smooth the ride will be. This one offers a very smooth and consistent ride, which is what your general will want.
Solid and Reliable
The overall build of the bike trailer is very solid and it can be relied upon to get the job done. That’s what matters most of all because you don’t want to be let down by your trailer when you’re out in the middle of nowhere.
It’s also a very affordably priced bike trailer, which is great considering how much you get for your money if you choose to buy this one. It’s got a lot going for it and it’s good to know you can find a high-quality trailer without spending a lot of money on it.
- 16 pneumatic tires with molded rims provide performance and style
- Folding frame design with quick release wheel
- 2 in 1 canopy Includes a bug screen and weather shield
- Versatile bicycle coupler attaches to most bicycles; Material: Rubber, Steel
- Maximum weight limit is 40 pounds
4. Schwinn Echo
The Schwinn Echo can easily accommodate two children and offer plenty of comfort. It’s one of the wider bike trailers out there on the market today. It also comes with a bug screen, weather shield options and plenty of ventilation. As well as the two kids, there’s also room for you to fit other gear and supplies. The overall performance offered by the trailer is very strong and it offers an enjoyable ride.
Comfortably Fits Two Children
The width of the Schwinn Echo means that you can very easily fit two children in this bike trailer. It can get the job done very easily indeed and will allow your children to enjoy using the trailer in comfort. You won’t have to worry about them complaining of a lack of space.
It’s very fast and easy to set up this trailer for the first time and whenever you want to use it. There are no complicated aspects and you probably won’t even need to follow the instructions because it’s all very obvious and self-explanatory.
Large Rubber Tires Make for a Smooth Ride
Large rubber tires are used on this bike trailer and that’s one of the things that helps to ensure the ride offered by the trailer is smooth and enjoyable for the kids sitting in it. It’s not too bumpy and that’s a big bonus for your kids and for you as parents.
No Sagging in the Base
Unlike some other bike trailer, the base of the Schwinn Echo is very solid and secure. And this means that you won’t have to worry about any sagging taking place, which is something that can happen and cause problems relating to a lack of comfort for the users.
- Tow behind style bike trailer, universal bike coupler will fit most bicycle rear wheels, 5-point rider harnesses with shoulder patches, safety flag for extra visibility
- Two-in-one canopy, bug screen and weather shield options, rear ventilation window, two riders and room for 12 lbs. of additional gear in rear area
- 20 inch alloy spoked wheels with air filled/pneumatic tires for performance and style, large side windows
- Fits in the back of cars or closet. The frame collapses and the wheels remove. Comes with a coupler that will attach to most rear bike wheels
- Assembled 51.8" x 32.5" x 31.9"', fits two riders up to 40lbs each. Features a small storage space behind the seat for water bottle or some cargo
The two things that are prioritized by the Clevr 3-in-1 Collapsible 2 Seat Double Bicycle Trailer are safety and comfort. The harnesses are the most secure you’ll find on this list and the wheels and suspension systems have been designed with safety and comfort in mind. It has a parking brake for extra security so you won’t have to worry about it moving when you don’t want it to.
Easy to Assemble
Again, this is a bike trailer that’s very easy to assemble. The collapsible design is convenient and you can put it back into its functioning form just as easily, which is vital. Even if you’ve never used a bike trailer before, you’ll have no difficulties with this Clevr model.
This bike trailer uses 5-point harnesses and safety belts, so you can have complete confidence that your kids will be completely safe and secure in their seats whenever they’re using it. It has a decent capacity as well, so they’ll be comfortable in their seats.
Suspension System Provides Added Comfort
With large 20” inflatable back wheels and a fantastic suspension system in place, it’s easy for this bike to offer a lot in terms of comfort. It makes the ride much more enjoyable and it’s something that’s genuinely noticeable when the trailer is in use.
Rain Cover and Reflectors for Extra Protection
There are lots of little extras that make this bike trailer stand out too. The rain cover is, of course, very useful because you never know when you might need to rely on it and the reflectors are good safety features too.
- USE AS A BIKE TRAILER, STROLLER OR JOGGER - The convenient 3-in-1 design converts into a bike trailer, stroller, or jogger. It has a removable pivoting front wheel, great to use around the neighborhood, zoo, park, amusement park, sidewalks or trails. (Note: Bike Trailer feature may not work on a quick release bike)
- FOLDABLE - Disassembles to fold flat for storage and transportation. In order to fold, the handlebar, safety knobs, and safety pins need to be removed. There is a push pin on the back of the frame to remove the rear wheels.
- BIKE HITCH INCLUDED - Universal bike hitch to rear axle included so you can use it as a trailer. The front wheel needs to be removed when using as a bike trailer. The trailer will remain upright even if bike tips over.
- PROTECTION & SAFETY - The top plastic cover, mesh window and tinted side windows provide protection in many weather conditions. Reflectors are included on all four sides of the trailer and on the rear wheels for extra safety.
- EXTRA LARGE CARGO AREA: Children will fit comfortably with room to spare. Double seat with two sets of seat belts for two kids. Max Weight Capacity: 88 lbs. Suggested Minimum Child Age: 18 Months.
6. Burley Bee
The Burley Bee is one of the best entry level bike trailers that you can buy right now. It has plenty of cargo space for families to make use of, it’s secure and has reflective piping to improve overall visibility. In short, it’s a well-designed and built product that’ll serve you well when you’re out biking with the family. Find out more about its key features below.
It’s a highly durable bike trailer that’s been built to last. Many people who start using it find that they’re able to rely on it continually for many years after the original purchase.
Easy to Set Up and Use
It’s also very easy to set up and start using. It’s been designed for people who don’t necessarily have any experience using bike trailers and that’s a good thing if this your first one.
High-End Design Offers Comfort
The design is clearly something that has been worked on and shaped carefully by the developers and the high-end design also contributes to the overall feeling of comfort offered by the Burley Bee.
Folds Up Into a Compact Package
Finally, it can fold up into a very compact and easy to transport package. That’s vital when you’re on the go and don’t want to have to feel weighed down by heavy items.
- sport type: Cycling
These bike trailers all offer something that’s appealing and useful to cyclists and parents. Hopefully, you’ll now know why each of these options is considered among the best bike trailers on the market right now and you’ll be able to decide more easily which is the right one for you.
How To Make A DIY Bike Trailer
Here is a good video demonstrating how to make a bicycle trailer: