The Top 5 Bike Helmets Reviewed
No matter what age you are, if you are cycling you need a good bike helmet. It doesn’t matter whether you are cycling on the road or off the road, it’s crucial to protect your head from injuries. Some bike helmets will also keep you safe from potential neck injuries too and lower the chances of a serious incident. Off the road, you have to worry about a jolt or bump causing you to lose control. On the road, you need to think about traffic and other dangers of being exposed.
Of course, great bike helmets won’t just keep you safe. They’ll look great, feel comfortable and fit snugly on your head as well. These are just some of the factors that you should consider when you purchase the best bike helmet. So, let’s look at some of the coolest options on the market.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Bike Helmet is the Schwinn Thrasher Microshell Bicycle Helmet.
Best Bike Helmets
“Best Overall Bike Helmet”
This helmet will provide fantastic levels of safety on the road and the inclusion of a visa is certainly a welcome addition. If you haven’t purchased a helmet with a visa before, it’s designed to keep you clear of the elements and ensure your view isn’t disrupted be it in the rain, snow or hail. With this helmet, the visa is detachable so if you don’t like it, you can take it off.
As well as having a visa, this helmet will fit a range of head sizes. That’s due to an easy to use knob at the back. You can use this to change up the sizes to suit your head circumference with a range between 16 and 24 inches. As such, you can use this helmet for young children and adults alike. It’s also designed to be unisex.
While other helmets could potentially provide greater benefits, this helmet provides a fantastic value for money. Other helmets will offer a higher level of safety but not for a lower price. If you are involved in an accident, you’ll be amazed by the low level of damage that the helmet will sustain as it is very tough and durable. It could be the difference between a head injury and a couple of scratches.
When worn the helmet is also remarkably comfortable. It fits firmly around the head and doesn’t wiggle around which can be an issue with other helmets. Furthermore, the helmet covers the full forehead too, providing a higher level of protection. This helmet would work perfectly for someone riding a hybrid style bike.
- Adult bike helmet with Dual Fit adjustable design
- 21 integrated flow vents to keep rider cool
- Moisture wicking pads keep rider's head dry
- Easy to adjust webbing ensures a comfortable fit
- Built in visor provides increased shade while riding
“Best Commuter Bike Helmet”
If you’re looking for a basic helmet design for use when biking to work or riding an electric commuter scooter, this could be the choice for you. The Base Camp Adult bike helmet is available in a range of different colors but doesn’t provide the flashy styles of other choices on the market. One of the big benefits of this helmet is that it comes with a battery powered light. While it can be tricky to turn on, once you do it will provide a red light that will ensure increased safety cycling at night. The light has five small LEDs that will last for roughly a month used every day. Although, you still may want to invest in a set of bike lights.
Another great little perk is that this helmet comes with a bag for storage. This ensures that the helmet will be clean and free from cob-webs when it’s not in use. As helmets should be discarded once they have received one, heavy shock, you’ll be thrilled to find the helmet also comes packed in bubble wrap.
As for adjustability, the helmet provides more than the typical option. Instead, the webbing can be adjusted as well to ensure that the helmet fits on your head evenly. Everything is easy to use while vents make sure that you don’t get too hot and sweaty out on the road.
You’ll be pleased with the quality levels that this helmet provides too. The foam is thick and dense while the outer case is tough and durable. One additional benefit here is that the padding is fitted with velcro. This means it can be adjusted and changed as you like.
Of course, the main priority with any helmet is safety. With a CPSC rating, you don’t have to worry here and should be able to trust this helmet to keep you safe on and off the road.
- US CPSC standards certified, keep your head safe
- Build-in with detachable rear light, more visibility and safety
- Adjustable chin strap and rear dial secure system, comfortable and easy fitting
- Lightweight and comfortable, 9 air vents and detachable inside soft padding
- Good for urban commuting, bike cycling. Suitable for most adults head circumference from 21.65 to 24 inches(NOT for Extra Large). Please measure your circumference above eye brows with a tape measure or string to get your head size and make the right purchase.
“Best Bike Helmet With Lights”
If you are looking for a bike helmet that looks fantastic, then the Lumos Smart Bike Helmet is the ideal choice. While also stylish, this bike helmet is further designed to provide fantastic levels of safety, at night and through the day! The clue is in the name here with a smart helmet that is capable of providing lights for signalling and visibility through the night.
The level of tech on this helmet probably has you worried about two factors. First, you’ll be pleased to hear that the helmet is water resistant. So, you won’t have to worry about it failing to function if you are cycling in the rain or even fog. Secondly, the weight isn’t as much as you think at just 390 grams, but certainly isn’t the lightest helmet on our list.
The batteries are also great too and will continue to work for hours, even when they have been left off for nearly half a day. Speaking of the battery for these lights, you will also be delighted to learn that it’s fully rechargeable. No batteries are needed and an app can be used to tell you exactly when you’ll need to give yourself a power-up.
As well as having a fantastic smart tech design, the bike helmet is also quite stylish. You certainly won’t be embarrassed wearing this choice, it looks both futuristic and exciting with the innovative features adding to the overall style.
- LIMITED EDITION MATTE LIME: This color is only available while stocks last!
- SAFE, DURABLE, COMFORTABLE: Our men's and ladies bike helmet meets both CPSC and CE standards for safety and can withstand whatever weather you can. The battery lasts about 6 hours on flashing mode and 3 on solid mode. Helmet fits most heads size 54 - 61cm comfortably.
- TAP TO TURN: When you're making a turn, simply tap the corresponding button on the included wireless handlebar remote. Even with the Lumos bicycle helmet - You should still make the appropriate hand signal when you're making a turn!
- FULL STOP: If the Hard Brake Light feature (currently in beta) is activated, 38 LEDs on the back of this adult bike helmet will glow solid red, making it abundantly clear to anyone behind you that you're slowing down. Note that this feature is deactivated by default to save battery life.
- GET NOTICED ON THE ROAD: With 10 white LEDs on the front, 38 red LEDs on the back, and 11 orange LEDs for each turn signal - drivers, pedestrians, and other cyclists alike are going to see you coming when you're wearing a Lumos Helmet. Now you can ride in increased safety without the need for a bevy of accessories.
“Best Bike Helmet Under $100”
This helmet offers some fantastic features that make it a brilliant overall choice for your next helmet. Storing your helmet when you lock up your bike can always be an issue. With this helmet, you won’t have to worry as you can actually lock it onto the bike to ensure it isn’t stolen. To double up on security, use a good bike lock to protect the bike its self. However, for the price, you might feel more comfortable keeping your helmet close by. While not cheap, this product has a fantastic design. It’s stylish too and is available in a variety of different colours that look great.
Looking at the helmet, you might be concerned about the level of ventilation provided. Well, we are delighted to say that this won’t be an issue. Indeed, this helmet actually fits above the ears ensuring that air can move freely around your head. It will feel like you’re not wearing a helmet at all even in hot weather.
It’s important to be aware that this helmet does not come with any lights. If you want this type of feature, then you’ll need to add them yourself. The good news is that the small vents at the top of the helmet provide a fantastic place for something like a Gopro type connector.
As far as safety is concerned, you won’t have to worry about wearing this helmet. It actually managed to exceed CE and CPSC standards. This means it’s marked as safe in America for both bike riding and on skateboards. It is even safe to use while high speed riding on an electric powered bike.
Beyond this, you will also be thrilled with the level of comfort this helmet provides. It fits securely on your head as long as you take the advice of the seller and buy the size up. Parts inside can also be adjusted or replaced to offer extra or even lower levels of padding which is certainly ideal.
- Lightweight helmet at 410g (s), 450g (m) or 490g (l)
- Built to meet cpsc and en1078 standards
- Includes 2 sets of interior padding for a custom fit
- If between sizes, we recommend the smaller size
- Secret pop lock lets you lock your helmet with your bicycle
“Best Bike Helmet For Kids”
Are you looking for a child helmet? This one is perfect for those aged between five and eight. As well as this it won’t break the bank and is fairly cheap compared to some of the other possibilities. It’s available in a range of different colors too so you’ll be able to choose one to match the style or preference of your little one.
The helmet also comes with a fin on the outside. This cannot be removed but is designed to provide an additional level of safety and essentially work as a sun visor. As such, there’s no need to take it off.
One of the most important aspects for a child helmet is always going to be the strap. It needs to fit securely but also provide the best level of comfort. The Belly Rally Child Helmet hits both marks beautifully so there’s no need to worry.
While the helmet does not provide practical adjustments, it does have a certain level of stretchability. This is more than enough to ensure that it is a snug fit for a range of head sizes within the age limit.
- Fits head sizes: 52-56 cm
- True fit self-adjusts for a proper fit every time
- Sixteen vents keep you extra cool
- Tapeless Technology
- Pinch guard ensures pinch-free buckling
We hope this helps you choose the right helmet for your needs. If you’re looking for a helmet perfect for use at any time through the day, the Lumos Smart Helmet is probably the right one for your requirements. The features offered are fantastic and simply cannot be rivaled. Alternatively for a helmet that is both stylish and practical the Thousand Adult is ideal and well worth the additional cost.
How To Choose A Bike Helmet
Here is a good YouTube video explaining how to choose the right bike helmet for you: