The Top 5 Bear Sprays
Nothing beats exploring the great outdoors. Whether it’s a day hike, a camping trip, or an expedition across a great land, those experiences can provide some truly magical memories. However, it’s not all fun and games, which is why every hiker must pay attention to their safety. While there are many factors to consider, the threat of wild animals is possibly the greatest risk to your health. Thankfully, the best bear spray should keep you protected from the biggest of all.
The best bear sprays provide an effective way to protect yourself without causing long-term damage to the animal. Essentially, they should serve as a deterrent rather than a tool used to endanger the bears. Therefore, you want to look for a product that boasts an excellent range and distance while feeling comfortable in your hands. Of course, you need enough of the spray to last throughout the trip too.
If your chosen product does all of these things, you won’t go wrong. We’ve shortlisted five of the best bear spray solutions on the market. Add any of these to your arsenal and you’ll be all set for your adventures.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Bear Spray is the Counter Assault.
Best Bear Sprays
As the industry leader in terms of reach, the Counter Assault bear spray is particularly popular with frequent and casual explorers alike. It meets all E.P.A standards while the 2% capsaicin makes it the hottest legal product on the market. Deterring bears with immediate results has never been simpler.
The Counter Assault brand is well known and commonly used for good reason. The 10.2oz bottle offers plenty of spraying time, even when utilizing the 8-second continuous spray capabilities. The bear spray canister also comes with a handy holder that can fit onto any standard belt, providing you with convenience as well as quick and easy access for when bears are in the vicinity.
It’s safe to use the spray on any type or size of bear, as well as other animals, which is an important selling point for most trekkers. While the spray will temporarily impact your breathing and sight too, the damage is far less significant than what would be experienced when using most brands on the market.
Protecting yourself isn’t limited to the daytime, and the Counter Assault bear spray takes this into account with the use of a glow in the dark cap. So, even if the attack comes at night, you’ll be suitably protected. Crucially, the durable can doesn’t leak or explode, which saves you from a very unenviable situation.
This is one of the market leaders for a reason, not least because the spray lasts. If you’re a regular explorer of the great outdoors, this product is easily one of the best.
- FARTHEST REACHING BEAR REPELLENT - Counter Assault is the industry leader in bear repellent spray and is the farthest reaching bear spray on the market today - It’s effective up to 40 feet! “When every foot matters”, don’t substitute price for quality!
- “HOTTEST” FORMULA ALLOWED BY LAW - 2% capsaicin and related capsaicinoid products temporarily disable a bear’s abilities to smell and see. Our formula is effective against all 8 species of bear - EVEN POLAR BEARS!
- 8 SECOND CONTINUOUS SPRAY - Our spray lasts longer than basically any other brand, is leak tested for quality, and has a 4 year shelf life. No need to replace your bear spray annually when you have the “Cadillac of bears sprays”!
- ONLY BEAR SPRAY TO MEET ALL EPA REQUIREMENTS FOR S.N.A.P. CERTIFICATION - This is the only bear deterrent pepper spray to meet the requirements of the Significant New Alternative Policy (S.N.A.P) of the clean air act regarding ozone depleting substances.
- MADE IN THE USA - Made in Montana (bear country), by American workers with American materials!
2. Guard Alaska
Guard Alaska’s 9oz bear repelling canister offers a huge four-year shelf life while a 20ft spray range ensures you can protect yourself from afar rather than waiting for creatures to get too close. Thanks to the addition of the belt clip holster, it’s a very practical solution indeed.
At 9.5” tall and boasting a slimline design, the bear spray is lightweight and portable while the durable canister is built to withstand knocks and bumps as well as high heats. This keeps you safe when the product is not in use, which is good news as the spray will irritate your skin and eyes for a good couple of hours once sprayed. This is a small price to pay for deterring bears, though.
In addition to being safe for humans and bears, the EPA-approved 1.3% capsaicinoid formula does not cause damage to the ozone layer or natural surroundings. The spray will deter bears and other wild animals while it can additionally be used on foxes, dogs, and other animals that may attack in local surroundings.
If using the spray in an emergency situation, you can use a continuous action to spray the entire can in around 9 seconds. However, you can also spray in short bursts to get rid of approaching bears. In most cases, it is very unlikely that you’d need more than two cans for the adventure, even when trekking for several days.
The Guard Alaska solution might not be the cheapest on the market, but it is one that can keep you and your fellow travelers safe. Frankly, that has to be worth the extra few dollars.
- EFFECTIVE BEAR PROTECTION - Includes ONE (1) Guard Alaska 9 oz. bear repellent spray canister (4 year shelf life) and ONE (1) Pepper Enforcement metal belt clip holster
- TESTED & PROVEN - Guard Alaska was intensively tested for six years in the Alaska wild, and it is the only bear repellent registered with the EPA as a repellent effective against ALL bears
- LONG SPRAY RANGE - Fogger delivery system sprays 15-20 feet quickly engulfing attacking bear for maximum effectiveness - Releases full 9 ounces of protection in 9 seconds, or may be fired in bursts
- MAXIMUM STRENGTH - 1.34% total capsaicinoid formula, 9 ounce (255 Grams) UltraMag shotgun size canister, EZ Access Firemaster Actuator
- ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFE - Does not contain flammable or ozone depleting substances - Only EPA approved bear spray effective against ALL bear species - Be safe, protect yourself with Guard Alaska
SABRE FRONTIERSMAN manufactures a range of bear spray products, giving you complete control to find a solution that suits your personal requirements. You can buy one can or a twin pack in either 7.9oz or 9.2oz variants while there is the option to include either a belt holster or a chest holster. Another option is to include a replica bear spray bottle for practice purposes.
The EPA-approved bear spray is a 2.0% capsaicinoids solution, putting it amongst the most reliable solutions on the market while a 30 meter spray range is very pleasing and allows you to deter bears and other creatures as soon as they approach, not least because you can spray up to 45 grams of mist per second.
A glow in the dark safety clip allows for easy location even at nighttime when you’re in your tent. While the blowback from the wind will cause a noticeable irritation to your eyes and skin, this burning sensation soon passes. It’s a fair trade if it means that the bear will disperse, which it will considering the spray is suitable to be used on any breed or size of bear.
Using this bear spray is comfortable and easy as the trigger mechanism is activated easily by the thumb. While direction isn’t as easy as some options on the market (hence the option of a training canister), the spray speed and spread easily compensates for those issues. So, you can spray with confidence that you’ll hit the target.
With a three-year shelf life too, the SABRE FRONTIERSMAN solution is one that’s sure to inspire confidence on all upcoming trips.
- MAXIMUM STOPPING POWER, LABORATORY GUARANTEED: The only bear spray with an In-House HPLC lab to guarantee maximum strength (50% stronger than Police Strength Pepper Spray) every time & eliminate the 30% fail rate experienced by other brands (U of UT)
- GREATEST PROTECTION AT A SAFE DISTANCE - 30 FEET: Maximum range and protection, traveling up to 10 Feet (3M) further than other bear spray repellents, delivering more distance between you and the attacking bear as they charge up to 35 miles per hour!
- GREATEST PROTECTIVE BARRIER PER BURST: Rapidly deploys a heavy fog of 1.58 oz (45 grams) per 1-second burst (up to 54% more than other brands), maximizing your safety by deploying a massive barrier of protection between you and the charging bear
- SAFER FOR YOU, THE ENVIRONMENT & EVEN THE BEAR: Frontiersman incapacitates a bear’s ability to see or smell while causing no permanent injuries; Safe to use while camping, Frontiersman is non-flammable, and does not contain any ozone-depleting chemicals
- RIGOROUSLY TESTED & PROVEN EFFECTIVE FOR CERTAINTY & PIECE OF MIND: EPA & Health Canada approved; our environmentally friendly Bear Spray is field tested & proven effective against all types of bears by the Elmendorf Air Force Base & Brown Bear Resources
The Udap bear spray instantly stands out thanks to the use of some very attractive holsters, which are available in multiple colors. However, the powerful spray is also one of the best on the market for practical purposes as well as a financial perspective.
Udap’s spray is a 7.9oz canister that can spray up to 30 feet away. It carries an EPA-approved solution that uses the maximum legal strength, and is capable of deterring bears as well as aggressive dogs and other animals that may be encountered during hikes or in local surroundings. One way or another, this provides reassurance and confidence in a can. Even if you never need to use the spray, that peace of mind is vital.
The trigger is quite sensitive, which is ideal when you are called into action, although you’ll have to take care not to accidentally spray yourself. Thankfully, the belt holster protects you against this while the bright colors let you see the item even when lighting is bad. This ultimately allows you to spring into action far quicker.
It’s a lightweight product that you won’t notice during hikes while the thin design is supported by durable materials capable of withstanding the heat. Crucially, the trigger mechanism is very dependable. So, if you do need to use it for genuine safety reasons, the Udap bear spray will serve its purpose with exceptional results. The range also compensates for any aiming issues you may experience.
While bears (or other animals) will probably yelp, there will be no long-term damage. Similarly, you can be sure that the environment won’t be harmed either.
- Includes Exclusive Griz Guard Holster
- Most Powerful Bear Spray Fog
- Developed By A Bear Attack Survivor
- UDAP IS The Most Trusted Bear Spray Brand
- Hottest Bear Spray Allowed By Law
The Mace Brand’s budget-friendly bear spray includes a holster for your convenience while a 2.0% capsaicinoid concentration ensures that it will force bears and other animals to leave the area as soon as they come into contact with the spray. With a reach of 35 feet, you can make this happen long before finding yourself in serious danger.
Everybody knows Mace Brand and respects their place as the leading personal defense company in the country. Their ever popular bear spray protects you from all potentially dangerous situations irrespective of where they occur. Moreover, the 9.2oz canister can be emptied in as little as 6 seconds, giving you excellent levels o protection in an emergency.
However, you can pull the trigger once for a single burst, which is often enough to work. Given that the product offers a long shelf life, this can keep you protected on many adventures to come. The potent spray will irritate you if you then walk into that area, though, so it’s important to know where you’ve sprayed the repellent.
The fogger spray offers a safe way to move animals on without harming them in the long term. Again, the environment will not be harmed either, allowing you to use the spray without any feelings of guilt or concern.
For a no thrills, affordable, and effective bear spray, the Mace Brand solution is easily one of the most dependable options at your disposal.
- Value Priced Bundle: Mace Brand bear protection bundle with bear defense canister plus holster
- Strongest Bear Spray : Mace Brand bear pepper spray is the strongest formula approved by the EPA
- Plus Holster : Kit includes a size matched holster for your bear spray
- Made in the USA : Mace brand sprays are manufactured in Cleveland, OH. If it isn't manufactured by Mace Brand, it isn't Mace
How To Use Bear Spray
Here is a great YouTube video demonstrating how to use bear spray properly: