The Top 5 Backpacking Sleeping Bags
Nothing beats backpacking for getting a taste of the great outdoors. No matter your chosen trail, you can bet there will be plenty for you to marvel at along the way. You’ll be able to get lost in the meditative sounds of nature and observe animals in a way you’d never be able to at home. Some of the greatest minds have used backpacking to overcome life’s problems, and it doesn’t get much better than a trip like this. That is until night falls and you haven’t made the necessary preparations. Suddenly, that calming wilderness could become a pretty daunting place. Most pressing of all, you’re sure to get cold fast. Remember that even temperatures in the desert drop drastically at night. Whatever your reason for backpacking, then, you don’t want to set off without a sleeping bag.
With one of these to hand, even exploration evenings will be an experience to embrace. You won’t need to worry about the cold with a snuggly sleeping bag to slip into as soon as darkness falls. Instead, you’ll be able to look out at the stars in comfort and warmth. At least, you will if you pick the right sleeping bag. Bear in mind that there are many options on the market, and selecting the ideal one for your needs is essential. How else can you hope to find any comfort in the forest? It’s not like you can bring a camping mattress on your backpacking trip. Of course, knowing which option is best isn’t always easy. Every company pushes its stuff, after all, and there’s no knowing for sure which claims you can trust. That’s why we’re going to take a non-biased look at the benefits you could find with a few of the top sleeping bags on the market. If you have a backpacking trip planned anytime soon, then, keep reading to find out what you need to take along with you.
For those of you in a hurry, our choice for the Best Backpacking Sleeeping Bag is the Hyke & Byke Quandary.
Best Backpacking Sleeping Bags
If you’ve ever made the decisions to pay top dollar for a sleeping bag from an established outdoor company, you made a mistake. Companies like Hyke & Byke are evidence of a small company doing things right, with a 79% 5-star rating on Amazon. Even better, their sleeping bags are designed by outdoor enthusiasts. That automatically makes the Hyke & Byke Quandary better than the impractical options you find in larger stores. When shopping for a sleeping bag, you can’t do better than one designed by outdoor enthusiasts just like you. As if the passion behind these products weren’t enough, these sleeping bags have specs no backpacker could sniff at. Most worth a mention is the lightness and portability of these products. Weight matters a great deal when you’re backpacking, after all. No worries there with the Quandary. It folds down to an impressive 10″ long and 7.5″ in diameter, and is made up of 90% duck down and 10% duck feather. Thanks to those and other ultra-lightweight materials like ripstop nylon, the Quandary also adds a mere 3lbs onto your pack. Still, reviews reveal that it fits individuals of up to 6′ 4″. As if all that weren’t enough, the Hydrophobic Down insulation capabilities ensure maximum warmth, no matter where you choose to bed down. One reviewer even managed to weather the 25 – 30 degrees nighttime temperatures of Death Valley with ease. We would say, then, that this is a pretty good bet for a decent sleep in the wild.
- SAVE SPACE and SHAVE WEIGHT - Our new 2019 model is designed to maximize durability, warmth, and water resistance. Our quest for the perfect solution led us to utilize Hydrophobic 650 FP Duck Down with a revolutionary ClusterLoft base. ClusterLoft performs better than down for durability under compression and moisture resistance.
- STAY WARM and DRY as a result of Hydrophobic Down insulation capabilities and waterproof fabrics - the microscopic air clusters found in down feathers creates "loft" that traps heat and keeps you warm. Extreme Limit is 15 Degrees F, Lower Limit (men) is 30 Degrees F, and Comfort Limit (women) is 50 Degrees F.
- HIKE FARTHER with the LIGHTEST MUMMY DOWN SLEEPING BAG available (Short: 2.56 lbs., Regular: 2.71 lbs. & Long: 2.89 lbs.) for this quality at the price. Compare to other big brand names to see the price difference we achieve through direct-to-consumer sales. Summit any mountain or camp by the summer sea with these compact bags and have room for carrying your favorite fleece blanket or silk liner, goose filled pillow, and pad.
- LONG LASTING DURABILITY from ultralight water repellent 400T 20 D ripstop nylon fabric liner with double large YKK zippers and anti-snag slider, wide shoulders and large footbox, snag-free velcro, drawstring, horizontal baffles, and compression stuff sack case for storage included. Comes in size Short (Individuals up to 5'6"), Regular (Individuals up to 6'), and Long/Tall/XL (Individuals up to 6'6").
- HYKE & BYKE is a new brand of outdoor gear that started small but has quickly made a big impression on outdoor enthusiasts across the country (men, women, and kids alike). Our cosmic vision of providing double the value for every person (youth or adult) looking to go outdoors is possible through beating the big brands at cutting costs and connecting with our customers. See how we cut costs in our description below!
2. Kelty Tuck
Next on the list is the Kelty Tuck. Is it any surprise that a company with a focus on play could release a killer sleeping bag? We don’t think so. If you’re looking for a sound sleeping bag which allows complete temperature control, the Kelty Tuck won’t disappoint. Thanks to easily-compressible ThermaPro insulation, this can heat you to around 20°F on a chill night. If you hate to get hot while you sleep, though, the vented footbox at the bottom of this bag is ideal for temperature control. That isn’t the only customizable option you’ll find on this Kelty design, either. The bag also comes complete with a handy media pocket. It’s ideal for backpackers who want to connect with the world during their downtime, with many claiming this is perfect for using headphones as you bed down. And, of course, portability makes an appearance here, too. This whole product packs down to a tiny 23 x 38 cm, weighing a total of 3.125 lbs. With one reviewer claiming this as ‘a hidden gem for backpackers’, it’s definitely worth your attention.
- The perfect blend of warmth and compressibility. Thermatron is a fiber blend engineered to retain warmth & provide superior pack ability. A synthetic backpacking bag with enough comfort features, it will quickly become your go-to camping necessity
- Comfort Tuck: Easily pull one or both feet out on warmer nights, or keep it zipped tight for toasty toes when the temperature drops
- Thermal-comfort hood and natural fit footboy, Zipper draft tube with antismog design
- 75D Polyester Taffeta Shell + 75D Polyester Taffeta Liner + Thermatron Insulation + Comfort-Tuck Zipper System
- Media-integrated storage pocket + Offset quilt construction + Zipper draft tube with anti-snag design
If you adventure in cold locations, the TETON Sports LEEF could be the sleeping bag for you. There’s certainly little chance of you feeling the chill with this bag’s thermal enhancing, double-layer offset stitch construction to hand. As if that weren’t enough, this design comes complete with a three-piece mummy hood, and a foot box. Don’t worry if you often overheat in the night, either. TETON have overcome that problem by offering this bag in two temperature settings. That’s right; this product is available in either +20°F/-7°C or 0°F/-18°C. The different options also offer varying fills and shells, so are worth some consideration. One customer even had to open their zip while sleeping in the low 30’s in Shenandoah State Park. And, we’ve still left the best benefit of this bag until last. For those who hate the rolling of their sleeping bag, this is the one for you. With this product to hand, you need never roll a bag again. That’s because TETON has developed a no-roll compression sack. In layman’s terms, that means you simply need stuff the bag into the compression sack and secure it down to size using the straps. That ensures an easy-to-carry sleeping bag, all without that notorious early morning struggle. Instead, you’ll be able to wake up feeling warm and set straight off for a day of adventure. Customers have happily found success with this product during everything from motorcycle trips to climbing Kilimanjaro. What more could you want from a low-budget sleeping bag?
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND WARM: Tired of your feet getting cold? This is the sleeping bag for you; Designed with added insulation in the footbox; Exceptionally warm and lightweight for backpacking
- COMFORTABLE: Three-piece hood pulls in tightly around your face to keep your whole head warm; Foot box provides more room for your feet; Full-length zipper draft tube keeps the warm air in
- NEVER ROLL YOUR SLEEPING BAG AGAIN: TETON provides a great compression sack for stuffing your sleeping bag; Start at the bottom and stuff the bag in, then tighten the heavy-duty straps
- SLEEP WARM: EN rated sleeping bag; Extreme -8F (-22C), Limit 23F (-5C), Comfort 34F (1C); Fluff your sleeping bag and use a camp pad to sleep warmer; Hang loops for long-term storage to maintain maximum loft
- TETON SPORTS PROMISE: Reach out to our AMAZING product support team if you have any questions or concerns; YOU CAN COUNT ON US to get you taken care of and back OUTDOORS with TETON Sports
Given how affordable it is, the WINNER OUTFITTERS Mummy Sleeping Bag is also well worth your attention. As you may have guessed from the price tag, this may not be one for the most hard-core backpackers out there. Still, it’s an ideal option for those who love to explore in temperate conditions. That said, there is still plenty of effort put into keeping the sleeper warm in this design. You can expect to see special quilting construction, complete with full-length draft tube. With 73% of five-star reviews on Amazon, it’s clear that WINNER OUTFITTERS have done something right here. Most happy campers comment on the quality of the materials in comparison with the affordable price. This bag also has one winning feature which is well worth your attention – it’s machine washable. Let’s face it; washing a sleeping bag is pretty essential after a camping trip. That is unless you want it to stink of wood smoke and sweat next time you hit the road. The last thing you need is a bag which you can’t wash easily. You can stick this right in the machine. That makes it ideal for regular campers or even family outings with the kids. And, you won’t even need to break the bank in the process.
- High-quality material: 350T Polyester with coating shell makes the sleeping bag ultra soft, waterproof and rip-stop, So it can keep you warm even in extreme weather and prevent you from any dampness. Comes with 200G/ Hollow Fiber fill which enhances non-allergetic, pro-environmental and better insulating performance. You'll feel comfortable when temperature is between 35F and 40F. But these are designed to keep the average sleeper warm even at near-freezing temperatures(20F).
- Two Sack Note:Our compression sack and sleeping bag load in one random color stuff sack,when you get the sleeping out, you will find the compression sack.Skin-Friendly & Easy to Clean: The bag has 350T polyester lining which is skin-friendly and soft, you feel very comfortable and sleep like kids or baby when you lie in it.Our sleeping bags are also extremely easy to clean as they are safer for machine wash too.
- Lightweight & Portable: Thanks for the Mummy design, this sleeping bag weighs only 2.8 pounds. Mummy sleeping bag not only fit adult body very well, but also reduce extra weight. Moreover, each sleeping bag comes with a travel-friendly carry bag, a compression sack with straps, which makes it quite convenient to store and carry the sleeping bag along. It's really perfect for camping, hiking, travel & Outdoor Activities.
- SBS zipper: With SBS double slider zipper, it can adjust the temperature according your demand. So the camping sleeping bag could be used in 3-4 season. SBS is the famous zipper company like YKK. Every zipper takes 120,000 times stretch test to make sure the performance. The bag has draft collars and zipper draft tubes, which could prevent warm lose and cold come in. Finally it enhance insulation performance with the draft tubes.
- Holiday Gift Choice for Christmas, We provide detailed instructions for use and maintenance procedures in the pictures and description, if there are other problems, we will reply you in the first time.
While we’re on the subject of affordable, it seems only fitting that we take a moment for the ECOOPRO Warm Weather Sleeping Bag. Price wise, you’ll struggle to find much better than this on the market. Admittedly, ECOOPRO themselves label this as a bag ideal for three of four seasons. As you may be able to guess, winter doesn’t make an appearance on that list. You may want to look elsewhere for a real cold-weather trip. Even so, this bag packs a whole load of punch. For one, it’s temperature resistant to 50 degrees fahrenheit. Perhaps best of all, it also folds down to weigh an unbeatable 1.65 lbs. If you’re lugging a heavy pack behind you, that weight difference alone could sell you here. Even better, this bag fits all sizes. From 6 foot tall men to kids and teens of all ages; there’s no stopping this multi-purpose product. A quick look at Amazon’s reviews could put you off a little here, with only a 60% five-star rating. However, as one wise reviewer states, success with this bag is all about being honest with yourself. This product is not suited to broad individuals looking to hike into the depths of winter. But, it’s still a large and easy to transport option for a summer or even fall trip. And, let’s be honest; the price is totally right.
- Ultra Comfort & DurableOuter material: Nylon (Waterproof and Durable), Lining:100% Polyester (Breathable and skin-friendly), Premium TC Cotton keeps the temperature from 55 to 60 and provides a ultra-comfort sleep environment to people.
- Professional DesignThe sleeping bag is waterproof and weatherproof. And the smooth zip closure makes it more convenient. Our sleeping bag measures 83"L x 30"W, the size fits for most people. It can accommodate an adult or two children.
- Compact & Lightweight Easy To CarryUnlike down sleeping bags, Our envelope sleeping bag is easy to roll up into the carrying sack and it can be compressed down to just 11" in height and 1.7lbs in weight. It's ideal for backpacking enthusiasts.
- MULTIPURPOSE VERSATILITYYou can use our warm weather sleeping bag without sleeping bag liner in multiple weather conditions. It's a perfect sleeping bag for Outdoor camping trips, Boy Scouts or mountain hikingalso works as camping comforter.
- FULL YEAR WARRANTYIf you have any quality problems, please send us an email and we will reply within 24 hours.
How To Choose A Backpacking Sleeping Bag
Here is a good video explaining what you need to know about sleeping bags, and how to choose the right one:
Each of these bags has its benefits, that’s for sure. The question is, which one do you think would most suit your backpacking needs? You may also want to bring bear spray to protect yourself on the hike.